Mike Sheahan's Low for 2012

Redleg

Mike is not far off the mark, to be honest. By any measure, it was a poor year on the field and it was tumultuous off the field. There is a silver lining though for 2013 and beyond, and most of us can see it.

• Like 1

I’m sorry, am I missing something here? It’s always good to see people defending the club, but people can’t be potting Mike for saying we were his lowlight.

Blokes get on here and harp on our how bad our culture is and how it needs to change (and they are correct) and then we have people trying to sugarcoat our on field performance this year. We were disgusting. People can offer up all the reasons they want, and they may very well be true, but bottom line is….we were disgusting and it’s not good enough. The AFL isn’t a sympathy league.

In saying that, I think Neeld is on the right way to changing our culture and list and way we play. If we get a midfield I think we can improve quicker than people may think.

Mike's honesty is refreshing at times and he was spot on with his assessment.

We stank - we were so uncompetitive for so many matches this year, our skill level was pitiful and many players stagnated or went backwards.

In the eyes of many including commentators and opposition supporters, our club is seen as irrelevant.

We have reached one of our lowest points in my time supporting the club, so there is only one direction that it is possible to go.

There are clubs that have risen in the last few years and I think we will do the same.

2013 is a massive year for the Melbourne Football Club - I know that I will be on board!

• Like 1

Redleg I am not sure why you are so offended.

Where did I say I was offended? I just posted it because it was a good discussion point, considering his earlier outburst, calling the MFC a "disgusting and pathetic club", which did offend me and still does.

BTW I personally would have said the deaths of John McCarthy and Jimmy were greater lowlights of this AFL year, but that is just me.

• Like 1

Where did I say I was offended? I just posted it because it was a good discussion point, considering his earlier outburst, calling the MFC a "disgusting and pathetic club", which did offend me and still does.

BTW I personally would have said the deaths of John McCarthy and Jimmy were greater lowlights of this AFL year, but that is just me.

well put Red.

Seems some have a strange set of values....and some have none really to speak of for what they do speak of has NO value !

Mike is spot-on with his comment on MFC's football performance this year. As far as I know, he is a keen demon supporter, and as such, he is rightly (and sadly) concerned with our performance. As a journalist, he is certainly entitled to make that comment.

• Like 2

You are correct redleg you did not say you were offended, you have my apology.

To all those who are offended

"We were effectively the worst team in 2012 with one genuine win.

We acknowledge we have a poor list and we played what may be our worst football in 48 years.

Is he not just stating the obvious.

or did I miss something in our performances this year."

It would be better for Mike to try and do some positive work for the club, rather than just kick the walls down.

We all know what happened this year.

Sitting on a couch looking down the barrel of a camera is of no help.

Melbourne supporters often seem to have trouble grappling with the truth.

funny you put it that way.

The truth is we're rebuilding and completely overhaulig th eway we play .

it is not like we were going to set the world on fire.

Sheahan the smarmy sh!t, just loves to take things out of context and smear everything he utters about Melbourne with his agenda-marmalade.

He EVADES the truth for his own effect.

theres a chasm of difference

funny you put it that way.

The truth is we're rebuilding and completely overhaulig th eway we play .

it is not like we were going to set the world on fire.

Sheahan the smarmy sh!t, just loves to take things out of context and smear everything he utters about Melbourne with his agenda-marmalade.

He EVADES the truth for his own effect.

theres a chasm of difference

For how many years (or decades) have we been rebuilding? Also, I'm no great supporter of journos, but if you want to oppose their comments, then use facts, not personal abuse.

I was interested to hear Roos low point of the year. Free Agency, which he reckons will make it really hard for the bottom teams to progress.

Roos is right. It will be tough down below.

Our Board & Footy Dept better be strong enough to put positives on the field for us. Then it will be easier to keep the $$$ rolling.

The days of bottoming out are over.

The club must be attractive to prospective players each year.

I wish we could run the last 5 years again.

I reckon he was totally wrong.

At long last Melbourne had the balls to recognise they had a fundamental problem with the whole club and decided to do something about it.

Rebuild from the ground up and not be satisfied with Band Aid solutions.

I give them 10/10 for cleansing the trash or restructuring in all departments.

This is exactly what any Business would do with 48 years of under performance.

If only they could cleanse the trash from the media outlets.

That would make a great Forum Title.

Sheahan, Denman, Healy the list goes on.........

If only the media could have understood that, but that does not sell papers.........you are spot on with your post.

For how many years (or decades) have we been rebuilding? Also, I'm no great supporter of journos, but if you want to oppose their comments, then use facts, not personal abuse

its irrelevant what went beforehand . What is now is now.

A first year coach with a new fd, new set of standards, new gameplan. Which bit did you not get. Probably most of it

its irrelevant what went beforehand . What is now is now.

A first year coach with a new fd, new set of standards, new gameplan. Which bit did you not get. Probably most of it

I'm guessing I didn't get any of your comments or miss anything for that matter. I'm also guessing I'm not alone. Care to explain them?

I agree with Mike Sheahan. The Essendon game would have been a highlight if it had been followed up by improving performances. The fact that we got to the end of the season and looked no better than we did at Round 1 is a huge disappointment. Of course, the improvers (Jones, McDonald, Grimes, ????)must be acknowledged but the fact that virtually everyone else stood still or went backwards was monumentally disappointing. I said at the beginning of the season that MN had to be given the opportunity to show what he could do OVER TIME. 2013 must be exponentially better otherwise the peanut gallery (me included) will start asking for change - again. I am getting sick of it.

I'm guessing I didn't get any of your comments or miss anything for that matter. I'm also guessing I'm not alone. Care to explain them?

i just did. You missed it all.

Sheahan went the man...not the ball.

You probably wont get that either.

It would be better for Mike to try and do some positive work for the club, rather than just kick the walls down.

We all know what happened this year.

Sitting on a couch looking down the barrel of a camera is of no help.

In a strange kind of a way, maybe he is doing something positive for the club. By publicly kicking the club he is hopefully triggering a best kind response from the club; that is, they will let their game in order to rub his nose in it.

As far as I can see, as a supporter he is venting in much the same way as many on here do... the only difference is that his words will be heard by all and sundry and will have the same effect that those "many" on here, wish that they could have.

i just did. You missed it all.

Sheahan went the man...not the ball.

You probably wont get that either.

I haven't missed a thing.

I'm guessing the ball was MFC and Mike went straight for it, but I'm also guessing you didn't like that idea.

Sometimes truth hurts.

Its not the truth though. Its a one dimensionsal observation. There are many more facets to it.

But that doesn't suit his little cause.

Are you so dim you are unawares to his gripes ?

Its not the truth though. Its a one dimensionsal observation. There are many more facets to it.

But that doesn't suit his little cause.

Are you so dim you are unawares to his gripes ?

I guess I'm not very bright - please explain.

In a strange kind of a way, maybe he is doing something positive for the club. By publicly kicking the club he is hopefully triggering a best kind response from the club; that is, they will let their game in order to rub his nose in it.

As far as I can see, as a supporter he is venting in much the same way as many on here do... the only difference is that his words will be heard by all and sundry and will have the same effect that those "many" on here, wish that they could have.

yes i see where you are coming from Hard. But i reckon he has stirred the pot enough.

I would prefer him to knock on Mclardy's door and say "Can i help?"...He would know a load of people.