• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Enough with wanting to pick up other clubs rejects

Parma

Yeah we do, we can draft well including players from State leagues in the PSD. More draft picks (from our FA) will give us better trading options for the 2 - 3 players we have targeted. It's not going to be scatter gun but by being smart I still think we will turnover something like 10 players which will be a substantial list change.

Then with ongoing development of Grimes, Trengove, Jones, Watts, Blease, McDonald, Frawley, Garland, Silvia, Clark and co. with another full Misson pre season and I think your membership will be safe.

drafting/trading it's all the same thing to me...find players who have some skill & want to play hard football...i do not want to hear excuses.

In both the Swans & Hawks teams tomorrow there are young kiddies playing.

• Like 1

Melbourne has to be active in the FA trading, this is the only place that we can target specific players with a greater level of certainty of getting them. We need a couple of mature players to help provide strength around the midfield and on field leadership for next few years while our younger players mature, the draft should predominately for raw talent, and future years.

Sorry to hear so much rubbish about why would anyone come to Melbourne, yes we have $$, but we also provide opportunities to some players who may not have them otherwise. A lot of other clubs hav salary cap pressures which means they need to get rid of other players, demons and others offering better deals forces these clubs to pay more for their players, tightening the salary cap forcing some good players out. . How quickly would Fev pull on a Demon jumper if asked. A change in a few personnel, increased fitness and improvement in our skills or get rid of those less skillful/lazy and we will win a lot more games, we probably wont be top 8 next year but we will be a lot closer and getting better each year.

• Like 2

Haha funny...... pot calling the kettle black at all???

Anyway we were never going to agree on Rivo's value to the team - So let me ask you this....

Do you accept Rivers is gawn? Do you think Garland/Frawley/T Mac/Davis & Sellar will be able to cope without him?

Hahahahahahahaha that says it all mate... You're hanging your hat on a backline including Davis and Sellar? You have no clue mate.

Melbourne has to be active in the FA trading, this is the only place that we can target specific players with a greater level of certainty of getting them. We need a couple of mature players to help provide strength around the midfield and on field leadership for next few years while our younger players mature, the draft should predominately for raw talent, and future years.

Sorry to hear so much rubbish about why would anyone come to Melbourne, yes we have $$, but we also provide opportunities to some players who may not have them otherwise. A lot of other clubs hav salary cap pressures which means they need to get rid of other players, demons and others offering better deals forces these clubs to pay more for their players, tightening the salary cap forcing some good players out. . How quickly would Fev pull on a Demon jumper if asked. A change in a few personnel, increased fitness and improvement in our skills or get rid of those less skillful/lazy and we will win a lot more games, we probably wont be top 8 next year but we will be a lot closer and getting better each year.

How did the argument go from trying to attract A graders to attracting Fev? I think things are getting a bit confused here...

I cannot believe some of the unmitigated crap that is written in some these threads. 'Players won't come to Melbourne', 'A graders ...', 'Caddy won't talk to Melb...', etc.

It's odd - 2 of my mates are on boards of other clubs, one's the head trainer at another, and one other is involved in player management. They tend to differ with many of the footballing genii on this site.

Players usually move for one or more of 5 reasons - more money, more opportunity, going home, unhappiness with the club they're at, and as they get older - success.

The MFC (despite what you read on this site, or hear/read from lazy journo's) is seen as an attractive place to come to by many - good coaching, elite facilities, plenty of salary cap room, underdeveloped list, and the only way is up.

The club will, unlike some who take a scattergun approach or need a big name to quieten supporter unrest, will approach players who they believe will fit in with their plans and fill the holes that THEY (and not YOU) deem need filling.

It is what it is, and the FD are trying to make it better.

• Like 5

I cannot believe some of the unmitigated crap that is written in some these threads. 'Players won't come to Melbourne', 'A graders ...', 'Caddy won't talk to Melb...', etc.

It's odd - 2 of my mates are on boards of other clubs, one's the head trainer at another, and one other is involved in player management. They tend to differ with many of the footballing genii on this site.

Players usually move for one or more of 5 reasons - more money, more opportunity, going home, unhappiness with the club they're at, and as they get older - success.

The MFC (despite what you read on this site, or hear/read from lazy journo's) is seen as an attractive place to come to by many - good coaching, elite facilities, plenty of salary cap room, underdeveloped list, and the only way is up.

The club will, unlike some who take a scattergun approach or need a big name to quieten supporter unrest, will approach players who they believe will fit in with their plans and fill the holes that THEY (and not YOU) deem need filling.

It is what it is, and the FD are trying to make it better.

Actually as a player gets on in years, I think they would prefer a more lucrative deal over success, to set them up for the future.

Who knows who you know but the fact that you say the MFC is an attractive place is ridiculous. Sure we might have a lot of cash but we hardly have elite facilities or great coaching. The coaches we have are experienced sure, but hardly proven as elites.

And it is not a case of 'the only way is up', we could go down next season, who knows? I bet very very few people expected us to finish 16th this season so don't be so sure.

Hahahahahahahaha that says it all mate... You're hanging your hat on a backline including Davis and Sellar? You have no clue mate.

I think your arrogance says it all mate.... Just ignore the fact I said - Frawley/T Mac/Garlad with Sellar as the backline mix..... Anyway you better get used to those players like Davis and Sellar playing J Rivs role as he is GAWN

Oh and by the way - the MFC football department dosen't seem to rate Rivers too highly just letting him walk out..... Or does it help you sleep at night that you think Rivers is choosing to leave.

Rivers comes across a lot like you stuei - seems from a distance to offer so much............ but never really delivers anything special.

Continue you're vague name calling and avoid the argument to make yourself feel better MATE - the fact is the MFC Football department don't seem to be throwing a lot of cash at Rivers to entice him to stay....

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 1

Actually as a player gets on in years, I think they would prefer a more lucrative deal over success, to set them up for the future.

Who knows who you know but the fact that you say the MFC is an attractive place is ridiculous. Sure we might have a lot of cash but we hardly have elite facilities or great coaching. The coaches we have are experienced sure, but hardly proven as elites.

And it is not a case of 'the only way is up', we could go down next season, who knows? I bet very very few people expected us to finish 16th this season so don't be so sure.

You don't know how close to the pin you really are

Footy players see the end and wonder how they will continue to make the same sort of cash when they retire - coaching is one option but not everyone can do it. Obviously not all players are highly educated either - Money is KEY factor for a lot of mature players contract negotiations.

People who say Rivo is just chasing success are kidding themselves..... Sure there is no doubt he wants to play finals - but anyone who thinks that is his only intention is delusional

Edited by Unleash Hell

I think your arrogance says it all mate.... Just ignore the fact I said - Frawley/T Mac/Garlad with Sellar as the backline mix..... Anyway you better get used to those players like Davis and Sellar playing J Rivs role as he is GAWN

Oh and by the way - the MFC football department dosen't seem to rate Rivers too highly just letting him walk out..... Or does it help you sleep at night that you think Rivers is choosing to leave.

Rivers comes across a lot like you stuei - seems from a distance to offer so much............ but never really delivers anything special.

Continue you're vague name calling and avoid the argument to make yourself feel better MATE - the fact is the MFC Football department don't seem to be throwing a lot of cash at Rivers to entice him to stay....

Don't see why I'd bother trying to have a footy conversation with someone who rates Davis and Sellar over Rivers.

Don't see why I'd bother trying to have a footy conversation with someone who rates Davis and Sellar over Rivers.

At no stage did I say Sellar or Davis were better players than Rivers - I said they could fill his role in the team. Rivers is clearly a superior player to those 2 players.... The fact you cannot recognise an argument about position not quality with your superior intellect saddens me.

Read Today's HUN Stuie - Rivo is GAWN - so get used to Davis & Sellar playing Rivers's role....

PS - I also acknowledge the HUN research and reporting are very poor - But i don't see the MFC chasing Rivers signiture that hard - my conclusion is that he is gone

Edited by Unleash Hell

I have to agree with the sentiment of the OP. While there are a couple of decent players available who could help us, I think there is more potential in not taking a FA this year. If our net loss of players is great enough, we stand to get a first tier compensation pick. That would give us picks 3, 4 and 5 in the draft. Much better than a questionable player who nobody else wants.

• Like 1

Guest Mengele

So far, NO ONE wants to come to us.

Where's all the posters now who were saying we don't have to offer big cash?!

Trade period October 1-26.

Today is October 1. 25 days to go, not everything happens on day 1.

Trade period October 1-26.

Today is October 1. 25 days to go, not everything happens on day 1.

Sure not everything...

But Goddard, Knights, Pearce, Lynch, Wellingham, Chaplin, Pedersen, Tippett, Monfries, Caddy, have all either signed elsewhere, are strongly rumoured to have signed elsewhere, or will not even consider us. Not exactly the "aggressive" start we would have been hoping for. Just seems a bit like the whole "hardest team to play against" stuff...

Sure not everything...

But Goddard, Knights, Pearce, Lynch, Wellingham, Chaplin, Pedersen, Tippett, Monfries, Caddy, have all either signed elsewhere, are strongly rumoured to have signed elsewhere, or will not even consider us. Not exactly the "aggressive" start we would have been hoping for. Just seems a bit like the whole "hardest team to play against" stuff...

Goddard - best year 2010. Now is heavily tagged and cracks the shits. Bummers overpay.

Pearce - soft outside mid who won't chase. Can't get a game with Port.

Lynch - 29 yo that cannot win his own ball.

Wellingham - has gone off since breaking Simpson's jaw, but can play. Homesick?

Chaplin - oh dear

Pedersen - who?

Tippett - can play, but can go missing.

Monfries - even the Bombers supporters hate him.

Caddy - family issues but tough cookie.

So, stuie, it's important that we don't overpay for those who are sitting back and waiting for overpriced offers. Goddard's gone, Tippett would be great, I've always liked Caddy, but the others you mentioned are very, very, ordinary players.

I know you've named these players to make a point, but I think the FD is working with players we (or the press) know nothing about.

I seriously wonder whether any of you are suprised. Surely not?

I imagine there will be draft action and there may well be a FA pickup that most of you would have scoffed at two weeks ago

But get real why would you come to MFC?

They would be the last choice for any player good enough to command interest from 2 or 3 clubs.

Mitch wouldnt have come this year after what MFC showed last year.

No one knows yet whether Neeld can coach and he isnt exactly impressive around the traps to date.

On the other hand by getting players with good attitudes and maximising the talent that is at hand Sydney won a flag.

Melbourne can do the same but it wont be by drafting a sexy superstar...they will all go to Collingwood Carlton and Essendon or they will go 'home'.,

You surely must realise that.

Similarly our FA's will struggle to find suiters...they just arent very good.

But in time MFC may well still become the hardest team to play against in time,as long as Neeld can show some results next season and the Board holds its nerve.

F Agency is great for attractive teams up the top. and disaster for rabble down the bottom.

Its build through the draft and development...or fold.

Goddard - best year 2010. Now is heavily tagged and cracks the shits. Bummers overpay.

Pearce - soft outside mid who won't chase. Can't get a game with Port.

Lynch - 29 yo that cannot win his own ball.

Wellingham - has gone off since breaking Simpson's jaw, but can play. Homesick?

Chaplin - oh dear

Pedersen - who?

Tippett - can play, but can go missing.

Monfries - even the Bombers supporters hate him.

Caddy - family issues but tough cookie.

So, stuie, it's important that we don't overpay for those who are sitting back and waiting for overpriced offers. Goddard's gone, Tippett would be great, I've always liked Caddy, but the others you mentioned are very, very, ordinary players.

I know you've named these players to make a point, but I think the FD is working with players we (or the press) know nothing about.

I wish we didn't have to, but we need to face facts, no on wants to come to MFC, our only means of attraction is cash. Once we use cash to become a little more successful then we can start attracting the guns.

We definately did. But less than Richmond from what I hear.

We definitely didn't, and I can say that cause I definitely know.

Of all free agents to move clubs, we never made an offer to any. So for all those thinking the sky is falling in because we were rejected by these players, it's not the end of the world.