Swans and the NRL - we can learn something here

Hatchman

Watching the Swans on Friday night I was awestruck by just how good this footy club is. They have hardness and determination in spades and an appetite for the contest that is utterly mental. They don't get ruffled by the mind games and they don't swallow the bait when teams try and goad their players. Except for Malceski maybe.

I'd give my left nut for the MFC to have 1/10th of whatever it is they have

But anyway on with the theory

Being in an NRL city seems to have really rubbed off on them by certain stoppage tactics they employ. I noticed that in the packs one of their players would often hold the ball in close with one arm, duck their head and attempt to "tunnel" through opposition bodies. When they get through they stretch upwards and handball backwards over their heads or shoulders where time and time again, three Swans players would be waiting. One guy grabs the ball, the other two shephard which gives them that spli-second they need to clear it. They did this a lot against Collingwood and it was bloody effective.

Other teams, notably ours, just try and knock it forwards or, (more often than not), panic, drop the ball, and just go to ground.

We share facilities with the Storm, arguably one of the greatest NRL teams of the modern age, I'd be filthy if I found out the MFC was not trying to engage the Storm to learn these pack busting style techniques. Considering Neelds style of game we need to become like the Swans in this area.

• Like 2

We can learn how to tackle properly and fairly .

I played league as a small kid and coming to footy I had a huge advantage in this area .

If you are reading 'Land Dees.

A.Watch the hips,not the ball.

B.Use yours shoulder-never your hands.

C.The lower you hit ,the better.(hip to knee)

We can learn how to tackle properly and fairly .

I played league as a small kid and coming to footy I had a huge advantage in this area .

If you are reading 'Land Dees.

A.Watch the hips,not the ball.

B.Use yours shoulder-never your hands.

C.The lower you hit ,the better.(hip to knee)

I agree mostly but the difference is that nrl players aren't taught to tackle the arms to prevent the ball coming out (to get holding the ball) they're taught more to hit hard to dislodge the ball and then other players gang tackle them down to finish the tackle. Or at least that's what I've observed.

Certainly I think there is a lot we could learn from them with tackle techniques, I think we were ranked as one if the worst sides for effective tackles. We should definitely be picking some brains there, while we're at it get their players to describe what it's like playing for the big one.

When Trengove beautifully tackled Dangerfield I thought we're on to something here in the art of sticking tackles.

But then the MRP addressed the new term 'sling tackle', he was suspended for 3, Dangerfield brushed it off and kicked 6 the next week, and then it was back to the drawing board with confusion for a while.

I agree mostly but the difference is that nrl players aren't taught to tackle the arms to prevent the ball coming out (to get holding the ball) they're taught more to hit hard to dislodge the ball and then other players gang tackle them down to finish the tackle. Or at least that's what I've observed.

Certainly I think there is a lot we could learn from them with tackle techniques, I think we were ranked as one if the worst sides for effective tackles. We should definitely be picking some brains there, while we're at it get their players to describe what it's like playing for the big one.

I know there is a slight difference in AFL but if the first tackle has enough shoulder in it , the ball will not go where the tacklee intends.The second tackler should pin the arm ,knock the upper body.

The rules are so fluid in the Afl that they ruin the art with their inconsistencies.

When I tackled them at full speed-they never got up ,and I'd get the free too.

The important thing is the impact of the shoulder near the hip.(Keep your head to one side ).

Roy Slaven would sort out the MFC.

John Hopoate would help them pull their finger out .

One can only hope we can get a coach anywhere near the level of Bellamy.

yes. I want to follow a team that just does not accept any hurdles or sh!t.

They just want to win regardless of what the outside pressures are.

Bellamy is like Smithy in his own way.

Watching the Swans on Friday night I was awestruck by just how good this footy club is. They have hardness and determination in spades and an appetite for the contest that is utterly mental. They don't get ruffled by the mind games and they don't swallow the bait when teams try and goad their players. Except for Malceski maybe.

I'd give my left nut for the MFC to have 1/10th of whatever it is they have

But anyway on with the theory

Being in an NRL city seems to have really rubbed off on them by certain stoppage tactics they employ. I noticed that in the packs one of their players would often hold the ball in close with one arm, duck their head and attempt to "tunnel" through opposition bodies. When they get through they stretch upwards and handball backwards over their heads or shoulders where time and time again, three Swans players would be waiting. One guy grabs the ball, the other two shephard which gives them that spli-second they need to clear it. They did this a lot against Collingwood and it was bloody effective.

Other teams, notably ours, just try and knock it forwards or, (more often than not), panic, drop the ball, and just go to ground.

We share facilities with the Storm, arguably one of the greatest NRL teams of the modern age, I'd be filthy if I found out the MFC was not trying to engage the Storm to learn these pack busting style techniques. Considering Neelds style of game we need to become like the Swans in this area.

A few years ago when Dimwitiou called their football ugly they had the NSW ruby union boys in to help them with tackling and getting the ball out of mauls.

Very successful = a flag, and has kept them at the top.

Wonder no other club has picked this up. The maul tuition in Union as opposed to League would be invaluable in today's AFL climate.

• Like 1