Alternative Away Guernsey

Deemanding

Before I get lampooned, I absolutely adore the traditional Melbourne Football guernsey of navy blue and scarlet (not the current crimson with a tinge of pink). It is second to none. However since the alternative strip has been introduced by the AFL for very logical reasons, the MFC has produced some really ordinary outfits. When the navy blue and red or is that pink is mixed with predominately white, it looks insipid and totally unimposing. Hence my suggestion that when the MFC is compelled to wear an alternative strip, lets adopt the green and white strip similar to the commemorative jumper issued earlier in the year by the club. I believe, if adopted it would signify a lasting legacy to Jim Stynes whose feats and contribution to our club should be never forgotten.

It would be a point of difference for merchanding as no other AFL team has wears green hence no chance of a clash. In America, teams that wear green and white equates to success, namely Green Bay Packers and Boston Celtics. I don't think my suggestion is that radical, teams in others codes wear alternative strips that bear no resemblance to their traditional/home strip but it doesn't seem to cause any confusion or diminish their support.

I would like the thoughts of the forum, if my suggestion has merit.

I'll get shot down as well but I am ok with the alternate clash jumper (only) being completely different than that of the traditional strip. All premier league clubs fo this as they feel to tinker with their traditional colors in a clash jumper defeats the purpose and discredits the traditional geurnsey. The marketing benefits are massive too. I would provisio this by saying that the agreement would need to be that we never wear the completely different jumper in finals.

I think the whole Collingwood clash jumper is a farce and our one makes us look like a rabble.

Not sure of the green, just design something that looks great.

I don't particularly like the idea of an away strip but if we must have one and if it must be predominantly white then why not a jumper that actually looks like a football jumper?

My favoured design would be something similar to the Sydney City NRL design i. e like the Port Adelaide away strip but with red and blue V's.

I don't see why we can't combine our heritage with our clash uniform. The royal blue outfit doesn't clash with anyone except the Dogs, and is an easy fix. Failing that, how about the kit we wore as the Invincible Whites? Sans caps of course. Our current away gear isn't disgusting, but it's pretty much a Sydney guernsey.

• Like 1

Before I get lampooned, I absolutely adore the traditional Melbourne Football guernsey of navy blue and scarlet (not the current crimson with a tinge of pink). It is second to none. However since the alternative strip has been introduced by the AFL for very logical reasons, the MFC has produced some really ordinary outfits. When the navy blue and red or is that pink is mixed with predominately white, it looks insipid and totally unimposing. Hence my suggestion that when the MFC is compelled to wear an alternative strip, lets adopt the green and white strip similar to the commemorative jumper issued earlier in the year by the club. I believe, if adopted it would signify a lasting legacy to Jim Stynes whose feats and contribution to our club should be never forgotten.

It would be a point of difference for merchanding as no other AFL team has wears green hence no chance of a clash. In America, teams that wear green and white equates to success, namely Green Bay Packers and Boston Celtics. I don't think my suggestion is that radical, teams in others codes wear alternative strips that bear no resemblance to their traditional/home strip but it doesn't seem to cause any confusion or diminish their support.

I would like the thoughts of the forum, if my suggestion has merit.

just a little aside, but I'm sure there is a club out bayswater way who are demons with green/white colours. I've driven down bayswater road and seen a sign outside the ground with the previous demon logo in green and white. Anyone know the details?

OH PLEASE not the away jumper thread again.

Please let there be some other news we can discuss on Demonland

We have done this to death.

Win games in any strip is my desire

its not done to death.......

it still lives.........be affraid...!!!! :unsure:

OH PLEASE not the away jumper thread again.

Please let there be some other news we can discuss on Demonland

We have done this to death.

Win games in any strip is my desire

Next you will tell us that you want to win a flag and don't care what we look like.

• Like 2

Which jumpers do we actually clash with, really?

Essendon maybe and even then if teams are wearing different shorts it shouldn't be an issue. It is not as if they play on quagmire grounds of the 70's these days. I don't get why the AFL insists on the alternate jumper every other week. It should only be worn as a last resort. We are the 'red and the blue' not white or silver or god forbid (with apologies to the OP) green

Clash jumpers are annoying but the current one is by far the best of a bad situation.

we could probably trot out our little collection of designs.... so ppl might want to be careful what they wish for ..lol :)

Personally I dont liek the shaping of the colours...not that theyre there. I like the stripes to maintian their width , not narroww.

Still my fav alt would be a red jumper, thin navy yoke around neck with a navy MFC insignia on front

Cant see why it has to be white.

oh...no...... the debate's started again...lol

Why can't our "away" jumper be red instead of white? Couldn't we have an all red jumper with the MFC old style lettering logo on the front in blue? Be a good look as I reckon the main problem with our current one is it looks like it's trying to be too "modern".

I honestly cannot believe this is being debated again, but whatever.

Why can't our "away" jumper be red instead of white? Couldn't we have an all red jumper with the MFC old style lettering logo on the front in blue? Be a good look as I reckon the main problem with our current one is it looks like it's trying to be too "modern".

Because that doesn't solve the issue of our clashes with Essendon and Adelaide. According to the AFL, we have to wear something 'light', and white is the only one that solves all our clashes.

Whether you like it or not, this is going to be the strip we wear. This club is facing far greater issues than the colour we wear.

I honestly cannot believe this is being debated again, but whatever.

Because that doesn't solve the issue of our clashes with Essendon and Adelaide. According to the AFL, we have to wear something 'light', and white is the only one that solves all our clashes.

Whether you like it or not, this is going to be the strip we wear. This club is facing far greater issues than the colour we wear.

Totally agree about this being discussed and the club having bigger issues, but really, what else can Dees supporters talk about this time of year?!

So, that being said, why not just white with the old MFC logo in red and the numbers in blue? Simple but not as ugly as the current one.

• Like 1

Whether you like it or not, this is going to be the strip we wear.

Agreed.

This club is facing far greater issues than the colour we wear.

True, but I don't think this means the issue can't be discussed. It's not like having one Demonland thread on the clash jumper is diverting significant resources away from the more important challenges facing the Club.

Guest José Mourinho

I absolutely love our current alternative strip, and I contend that most will be unhappy no matter what an effective alternative strip looks like.

• Like 2

Next you will tell us that you want to win a flag and don't care what we look like.

Yep

Of course i want red and blue.

But I would play in any design / away jumper to be there next saturday

Instead of the pitiful spot we find ourselves in at this point.

We are so far away that the I could not care less what the design looked like to be in the GF in the next 3 years is what i crave.

• Like 1

Because the AFL says so and they have all the power and the MFC bugger all.

Yep

Of course i want red and blue.

But I would play in any design / away jumper to be there next saturday

Instead of the pitiful spot we find ourselves in at this point.

We are so far away that the I could not care less what the design looked like to be in the GF in the next 3 years is what i crave.

It's very hard to concentrate and win games when you are poncing around looking like Casper the Friendly Ghost, old dee