POLL: Watts v Naitanui ... Did we get it right or wrong?

Range Rover

Watts v Naitanui ... Did we get it right?  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Naitanui could play with a a full surround sound stereo system and 42" plasma TV strapped to his back and he'd still be better than Watts.

This shock-jock persona you seem to have taken on is really grinding my gears RR. You make outlandish comments and the best thing is in a year if and when the tables turn, are you going to stand up and admit you got it wrong on Neeld, Watts etc. If Melbourne get good in the next 5 years I'll quit Demon Land because you'll need 50 posts just retracting statements. But that's not even the worst bit. Listen to what people say and take it on board- you refute any claims that counter yours. YES there was a go home factor with Natanui. YES we are 3 and a half years into their careers and YES Natanui has the luxury of a team that isn't useless whilst Jacks team averages 80 less possessions than his opposition.

I get that you're not happy with the decision, but don't feel the need to reply to every poster who is happy with it. Natanui is currently good, Watts has been just okay, but don't think you can shut your eyes and swap it, JW will be here for 12-15 years so you better start getting on board because once the train leaves the station the only one looking foolish will be you.

• Like 3

There is no way NN would have stayed at melbourne, and at the end of 2010 would have asked for a trade back home.

Would have wasted a pick and development time, and would have possibly only got pick 4 back and probbally gone for T.Lynch at #4 and instead of Cook at #12 and gone for someone else there.

Watching NN leave then $kully two #1's would have been too hard for the club

He is still a kid and lives at home with his mummy, so could have only got him to stay if she wanted to come live in Melbourne(if mummy said so)

Edited by az_tec
  • Like 1

This shock-jock persona you seem to have taken on is really grinding my gears RR. You make outlandish comments and the best thing is in a year if and when the tables turn, are you going to stand up and admit you got it wrong on Neeld, Watts etc. If Melbourne get good in the next 5 years I'll quit Demon Land because you'll need 50 posts just retracting statements. But that's not even the worst bit. Listen to what people say and take it on board- you refute any claims that counter yours. YES there was a go home factor with Natanui. YES we are 3 and a half years into their careers and YES Natanui has the luxury of a team that isn't useless whilst Jacks team averages 80 less possessions than his opposition.

I get that you're not happy with the decision, but don't feel the need to reply to every poster who is happy with it. Natanui is currently good, Watts has been just okay, but don't think you can shut your eyes and swap it, JW will be here for 12-15 years so you better start getting on board because once the train leaves the station the only one looking foolish will be you.

1. It's just a poll question DL7. Not the end of the world if you don't like the result.

2. I am very rarely ... very rarely ... wrong.

Cheers,

RR

Edited by Range Rover

This really gets on my nerves!

Watts does not play loose man in defence. He always has an opponent but zones off. I don't know how many times the coach has to say it or you even have to watch a game to realise that he does not play as a loose man apart from the very, very odd occasion.

Complete nonsense... Frawley plays on a man and zones off, Mcdonald plays on a man and zones off.

Watts may occassionally find himself stuck on a forward but it isn't for the duration of a game. He rarely has an opponent throughout the game.

I love Jack Watts, he is my fav player, but I am sick to death of Melbourne supporters treating him like a baby to be protected.

He is treated by fans and club as if he is still a first year player, and I feel that he believes that within himself.

Here are the facts, Jack is highly skilled by hand and foot, however Jack lacks intensity and struggles to impact games.

I don't know why the above is so hard for people to accept?

I actually went to the presidents lunch at the mcg game melb v freo in watts first year and Don mclardy spoke about the NN v JW drafting and said after interviewing NN he said to melb that he could not guarantee that he would not go home after 2 years.

Melb asked him on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being that you would stay what would it be.He answered 9.

Mclardy said after that interview melb were never going to pick NN.

• Like 2

I actually went to the presidents lunch at the mcg game melb v freo in watts first year and Don mclardy spoke about the NN v JW drafting and said after interviewing NN he said to melb that he could not guarantee that he would not go home after 2 years.

Melb asked him on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being that you would stay what would it be.He answered 9.

Mclardy said after that interview melb were never going to pick NN.

Of course he would say that. It gives Melbourne an 'out'.

Truth is ... no-one knows if Naitanui would've have stayed or not and we should have backed our ability to convince him to do so.

What a weak, pizz-poor excuse not to draft a once-in-a-generation talent. Pathetic.

You know what good clubs have? Confidence in their direction and ability to hold onto players...

I don't believe NicNat's go home factor had anything to do with why we picked Watts. Fact is we thought we were getting a gun CHF.

If anybody didn't pick a player because they were scared the player would go home, then we are pathetic.

Does anybody realise how rare it is for a go home situation? First off usually players want to go home from other cities back to Melbourne because Melbourne is a great place for a young wealthy footballer to live....

It's like Scott Thompson has scared MFC fans, and it is very sad.

The fact that people bring up the NicNat would have gone home if we drafted him argument is ridiculous (and reeks of desperation).

NicNat lived in Fiji, NSW and WA by the time he was 16.... I reckon he would have been good with a move... Is Buddy moving back to WA? People said that of him as well.... Answer is no, because as I said, young wealthy footballer living in Melbourne = win.

• Like 1

1. It's just a poll question DL7. Not the end of the world if you don't like the result.

Cheers,

RR

Or modest.

NN is in a team with alot more support.

JW is already a more rounded and consistent performer.

NN would have done a scully.

JW will be a legend of the club.

Everyone put s the 7 day glasses on with NN. He only ever performs when the rest of the team is performing which is damning of his ture footy ability. Blinkers off.

• Like 1

You know what good clubs have? Confidence in their direction and ability to hold onto players...

The fact that people bring up the NicNat would have gone home if we drafted him argument is ridiculous (and reeks of desperation).

It does reek of desperation Demons32. Very sad really that that's all people can come up with to support Watts.

If that's what a portion of the votes have been cast based then NicNat really has won this vote in a canter.

Look I don't want to seem like a hater like RR probably does... Like I have said, I do rate Watts, he will play 150-200 games and could be a premiership player. He just isn't as good as NicNat and I doubt he ever will be, that is all I am trying to say.

Again RR i simply cannot comprehend why you would create a poll and then desperately try to influence the outcome. It is so silly its surreal.

And then you randomly make comments such as 'If that's what a portion of the votes have been cast based then NicNat really has won this vote in a canter.' Really? And you discount the impact your rebuttals, graphs, photos and general NicNat love fest might have on the final result?

I mean what are you trying to achieve? Surely not an objective poll that gives an accurate picture of how Demonlanders feel about this question? If that was the case then of course you wouldn't be constantly trying to convince people that one option is better than the other. Why not ask the question and shut up?

Again RR i simply cannot comprehend why you would create a poll and then desperately try to influence the outcome. It is so silly its surreal.

And then you randomly make comments such as 'If that's what a portion of the votes have been cast based then NicNat really has won this vote in a canter.' Really? And you discount the impact your rebuttals, graphs, photos and general NicNat love fest might have on the final result?

I mean what are you trying to achieve? Surely not an objective poll that gives an accurate picture of how Demonlanders feel about this question? If that was the case then of course you wouldn't be constantly trying to convince people that one option is better than the other. Why not ask the question and shut up?

Binman, it's a measure of your own insecurity about Watts that you think my ramblings would sway the vote one way or another.

People are just as welcome to go into bat for Watts if they so desire. Problem is ... not many are. All they can come up with is the ultra lame "NicNat woulda gone home" cop out.

Binman, it's a measure of your own insecurity about Watts that you think my ramblings would sway the vote one way or another.

People are just as welcome to go into bat for Watts if they so desire. Problem is ... not many are. All they can come up with is the ultra lame "NicNat woulda gone home" cop out.

Well run another poll rangey

Q: If MFC had picked Niknat instead of JW would he have gone home by now - YES/NO

but only run it if you really want to know what 'Landers think

Probably because there is nothing to be gained by this, and the fact that no one wants to encourage the rubbish that you are producing.

It's just getting sad now.

Gee these polls are fun arnt they? A Demonland institution I guess. How about a poll "Do you prefer park footy or Really Serious Big Boys blogging aka Ology vs Land. Appearing for Ology in the blue corner....I give you Bluey. And for Land in the red corner...its Range Rover. Hard to pick a winner I reckon Me ? I'm in old Blueys corner but I'm going to the G on Friday night to watch real footy and to see how N.N stacks up against Buddy.......I already know how Jack would go.

Gee these polls are fun arnt they? A Demonland institution I guess. How about a poll "Do you prefer park footy or Really Serious Big Boys blogging aka Ology vs Land. Appearing for Ology in the blue corner....I give you Bluey. And for Land in the red corner...its Range Rover. Hard to pick a winner I reckon Me ? I'm in old Blueys corner but I'm going to the G on Friday night to watch real footy and to see how N.N stacks up against Buddy.......I already know how Jack would go.

That park footy comment really got under your skin aye!

It's alright IRW, you're going okay. The transition from twos to ones can be hard but you're making a good fist of it. I rate your stance on Watts.

I voted that we got it wrong, that's not to say I don't believe Watts will become an excellent player for us, but I see more in Nik Nat than I do in Watts.

Apart from athleticism, desire, and the foreseeable future for Nick to be the dominant ruckman in the competition, I also see his marketability and freakishness. These things get people (especially kids) through the gate. Watts is everything Melbourne has been in the past; nice, polite, articulate, and seemingly a pure footballer. He was the safe option.

Having said all that, Watts does have great potential and talent in him, but I feel his time of being a stay at home defender is up. He knows how to get the ball now, get him using his abilities on the wing and up forward.

• Like 1

It's pretty easy to come up with Nic Nat stats when they're plastered all over the newspapers. We're not full-time statisticians, so don't expect a thesis on why Jack Watts is better than Nick Naitanui. But remember, any Nic Nat stats you use should be from last year since he's a year older than Jack Watts.

I don't understand why Range Rover "supports" Melbourne?

Surely it couldn't be that he just likes to complain and whinge to any that will listen and/or respond? Surely he's not the empty can that rattles the most? Surely he'd be better off spending his time maintaining his NikNat collage book?

Why hasn't he started a poll about Morton v Rioli or Dangerfield? Hmmmmm....

I've noticed there's no mention of his disposal efficiency? In fact, aside from goals (he averages 1.2, hardly amazing) NONE of those stats are about what he does with the ball, so thanks for supporting our argument RR, cheers...

This must be one of those "very rare" occasions.

That park footy comment really got under your skin aye!

It's alright IRW, you're going okay. The transition from twos to ones can be hard but you're making a good fist of it. I rate your stance on Watts.

HA!!

I worry that you guys are serious sometimes..

.As far as I can see only Daisy cutter and Biffen have any sense that this is just a chat room for wannabe AFL footballers...(apologies for the posters on here who get around the park and in 'lesser leagues' for the pure pleasure of it)..

Anyway carry on....,though I have to say I got ribbed on Ology for my rapid post count although I was semi retired.

Do any of you guys actually have jobs?

If so, do your employers know what you spend our time on?

If you're students then let me recommend the the idea of mixing it with with other students from a variety of backgrounds...its great for your education.

• Like 1