The Western Bulldogs - Under the radar to the point of...

45HG

Now, we've been disgusting this year.

This post is not an attempt to dilute or draw attention from that fact. It's not to hide or to say "it's ok, another team has been rubbish too," but honestly - the Bulldogs have been utterly atrocious to the point of the T word.

At Round 12:

The Dogs were 5 and 6 with a percentage of 88.83 (843 for/949 against).

We were 1 and 10 with a percentage of 55.92 (699 for/1250 against).

Currently:

The Dogs are 5 and 15 with a percentage of 68.15

We are 4 and 16 with a percentage of 69.81

In this period we've gone 3 and 6. They've gone 0 and 9.

Now, obviously the draw comes into this, but it's the consistent effort (or lack of) that I'm alluding to.

The Dogs' percentage in this time has been 51 (563 for/1117 against).

Ours has been 90 (760 for/840 against).

Of particular note is the Dogs effort in the second halves of matches.

During this period, the Dogs have scored 228 in the 9 second halves they've played.

They've conceded 636.

Their second halves percentage in this period is nothing short of a pathetic 35.8.

This adds to the fact that, at round 8, they were 4-4 with a percentage of 95.19.

Now - I'm not one to bring draft picks into things... But haven't they activated their compensation pick this year?

• Like 3

The dogs are in a far worse mess than we are with their list. Their best half dozen players are all looking retirement in the face and their younger player haven't been stepping up to take up the slack. Look at their contributors on any given day and you will see guys like Gia, Murphy and Lake topping the votes. How much longer can they keep carrying the puppies who can't pull their own weight? Give it a couple of years and they will find themselves with no midfield to go with their serious lack of worthwhile talls.

It's all possible. Sad thing is they beat us comfortably. That is how bad 2012 has been.

They did beat us this year, comfortably. But their drop-off from 2010 against us at Etihad has been stark. I went to both games and we definitely showed more resolve this year, and they don't have the same slick ball movement as they used to. At the G we would beat them. If we defeat Adelaide on Saturday we will most likely go above them, which would not be a bad ending to the season, and something to aim for. Edited by bush demon

after being stunned by the Lions, and playing for a top 2 finish, i expect the Crows to come out breathing fire. Will be good to see what we are made of, even though i think the Crows will be too good and get over us by about 30 points.

I know i'm a hopeless optimist - but i have a good feeling about next week

They did beat us this year, comfortably. But their drop-off from 2010 against us at Etihad has been stark. I went to both games and we definitely showed more resolve this year, and they don't have the same slick ball movement as they used to. At the G we would beat them. If we defeat Adelaide on Saturday we will most likely go above them, which would not be a bad ending to the season, and something to aim for.

But we played them at the G, and lost. We murdered them for 20 minutes. It should have been longer.

I like the intimation 45. But I think the real answer is they are just a hopeless side, like us.

Dahlhaus aside, where is their exciting youth? Like us, who are their forwards?

Only discernible difference is that I see a midfield there (Cross, Boyd, Griffen) whereas we don't have one. Which only serves to further indict them for being so bad.

We should have beaten them this year, we were better for more of the game that day than they were.

I like the intimation 45. But I think the real answer is they are just a hopeless side, like us.

To be honest, the intimation was more of a tag-line to my main idea. But it's there nonetheless.

Now, we've been disgusting this year.

This post is not an attempt to dilute or draw attention from that fact. It's not to hide or to say "it's ok, another team has been rubbish too," but honestly - the Bulldogs have been utterly atrocious to the point of the T word.

At Round 12:

The Dogs were 5 and 6 with a percentage of 88.83 (843 for/949 against).

We were 1 and 10 with a percentage of 55.92 (699 for/1250 against).

Currently:

The Dogs are 5 and 15 with a percentage of 68.15

We are 4 and 16 with a percentage of 69.81

In this period we've gone 3 and 6. They've gone 0 and 9.

Now, obviously the draw comes into this, but it's the consistent effort (or lack of) that I'm alluding to.

The Dogs' percentage in this time has been 51 (563 for/1117 against).

Ours has been 90 (760 for/840 against).

Of particular note is the Dogs effort in the second halves of matches.

During this period, the Dogs have scored 228 in the 9 second halves they've played.

They've conceded 636.

Their second halves percentage in this period is nothing short of a pathetic 35.8.

This adds to the fact that, at round 8, they were 4-4 with a percentage of 95.19.

Now - I'm not one to bring draft picks into things... But haven't they activated their compensation pick this year?

Western Bulldogs president David Smorgon backs the club's youth policy

127847-david-smorgon.gif

Western Bulldogs president David Smorgon is confident coach Brendan McCartney can rebuild the club.

WESTERN Bulldogs president David Smorgon has quickly hosed down concerns for the club's future.

... the long-term Dogs boss, while admitting his frustration at the 5-11 win-loss record, said his low profile in 2012 was not because he had become "Dee-spirited", as suggested by Mike Sheahan on Fox Footy last night.

"He's certainly quiet and I'm fearful for the future of this football club, the way they're going," Sheahan said.

But Smorgon said his relative silence was because of reduced media interest in the club as it languishes in 15th position after years in the finals without tasting the ultimate success.

It's all possible. Sad thing is they beat us comfortably. That is how bad 2012 has been.

l was at that game and we should have won, we would if we played them now

I think that was the game when Mitch Clark hurt his neck just when we looked threatening. We might have even won had he stayed on.

I think the point is that their form has dropped away completely to the point where their performances are below even ours when we were at our worst.

Fortunately for them, the media's malicious streak is directed at us and not at them but I don't give a rats about the likes of Roos and Walls who will continue to bag us while giving the likes of the Dogs a free pass.

Totally agree with the OP'ers thoughts on the Bulldogs and their pitiful performances since the halfway mark.

I recognise our own Mfc stench this year and the fact the media have rightly highlighted it time and again, but they've done and said "didly squat" about the Bulldogs. Absolutely flown under the radar.

If anyone watches AFL360, they rate the coaches and they have Neeld on "High" for the pressure gauge and have McCartney sitting back with a Pina Colada in the "Stone Cold" or "Low" section of the gauge.

It probably sums up Robinson to a tee, but you'd think Whateley would be more in tune.

If anyone watches AFL360, they rate the coaches and they have Neeld on "High" for the pressure gauge and have McCartney sitting back with a Pina Colada in the "Stone Cold" or "Low" section of the gauge.

It probably sums up Robinson to a tee, but you'd think Whateley would be more in tune.

Is it possible this is out of deference to Murphy who is one of their panelists?

Totally agree with the OP'ers thoughts on the Bulldogs and their pitiful performances since the halfway mark.

I recognise our own Mfc stench this year and the fact the media have rightly highlighted it time and again, but they've done and said "didly squat" about the Bulldogs. Absolutely flown under the radar.

To be fair on the press, they gave us a similar recess during Bailey's re-build.

Then we dicked them during our supposed "rise to power" - made them out to be foolish.

Makes sense to be treated like scum this time.

I would be so dirty if we won this week, went above the bulldogs only for them the nominate Viney and force us to use pick 4 on him..

Luckily I think Adelaide got the message against Brisbane and will be pretty ferocious this week. Considering we can barely beat GWS I'm not overly concerned.

But the bulldogs loss this year is up with the worst of our performances so far.