Has there been any improvement in 2012?

jnrmac

Neeld has stated in his press conference that the media has 7 day goggles on and that the Dees have made much improvement in the second half of the year with their ball movement and clearance work. I am struggling to see it.

Yesterday against possibly the worst side ever fielded we lost the contested possession count AND the clearances. How is that possible?? We seemed to dominate the game in terms of time in our fwd half but without putting it on the scoreboard. Missing goals form 30m out all day might have just been a result of the wind but frankly I though it was pathetic.

But even allowing for the strong gusty winds yesterday was such a poor effort from our team - there was little intensity, they looked like they were just going through the motions and for a team with a chance to smash a pretty hopeless newcomer to the comp we were undeniably soft. GWS were allowed to collect the ball at will and had little pressure applied. our guys seemed to be content to let GWS turn it over (which they did regularly) and rebound it off half-back.

Contested possessions were a hallmark of the first half of 2012 and follow on from Neeld's 'we want to be the hardest team to play against' mantra when he took over as coach. Yet we seem to have left this behind. The last quarter against GWS showed how little we wanted the ball or to win. Its nearly done me in.

I really lament for our team. They are incredibly difficult to watch. It is downright embarrassing a lot of the time. Their mistakes are those of a junior team, their intensity and commitment to the contest is sometimes non-existent while their skill level is simply deplorable.

Has anyone seen any improvement this year? Because I haven't. We have gone backwards. The only thing that has been demonstrated to me is which players don't want to be there. And there is quite a few of them.

Apparently the office furniture is looking good.

and its mostly tax deductable.

Otherwise-it's the worst year I can remember as a Demon.

• Like 1

Apparently the office furniture is looking good.

and its mostly tax deductable.

Otherwise-it's the worst year I can remember as a Demon.

What is the latest on Deskgate Biffen that seems to have slipped off the radar?

Skills are just as bad or worse than last year and other every aspect of our game has declined. Hardness at the contest is like a robotic rection because the players have been horse whipped to do it or else. They do it with no heart. Just like galley slaves reacting to drum beats and whip.

I would say there are more than quite a few disgruntled players, even some of those who would be considerd our future stalwarts and not the usual suspects.

I am now starting to questions Neeld's competance as a coach. Many of his decisions have been very puzzling and it appears he is clueless in how to motivate players. Never though that I would prefer to watch other teams play rather than us in the past 12 months.

I seem to be the voice of optimism at the moment (see posts on 'Post match discussion'). Yes, yesterday's match won't make many memories (except for my mate who lives in Canberra and hadn't seen a Dees victory for five years).

I think that a more interesting question is whether we have improved in the second half of the year.

Also, (Scott aside) have any other new coaches set the world on fire in their first year? I think that we underestimate the learning process for both coach and players when a new boss takes over.

• Like 1

I feel you're pain jnr...

The only way I can think of this year is it's like us asking if it's an improvement when you prune the garden... Might not look any better, in fact probably worse, but if it's done right it will grow back correctly and better than it was before...

Geez I hope so, cos at the moment all I can smell is the manure...

• Like 3

A tough question Jnr. I went to Darwin feeling confident and we barely fired a shot. Plus, as noted above, our skills remain poor. Then I came away from the St. Kilda game thinking that we had gained some structure and purpose. I would like to have been able to answer your question if we had kept Clarke and Jurrah on the paddock. At times we showed improvement but lacked the firepower to back it up.

How's that for procrastination?

The bare bones of a side is there to work with.

Anytime we need to try and think positive I think of this spine...

Frawley, Watts, Jamar, Cloke, Clark

There's some good muscle and skill amongst that as a "bare bones" to build a team on.

• Like 1

Anytime we need to try and think positive I think of this spine...

Frawley, Watts, Jamar, Cloke, Clark

There's some good muscle and skill amongst that as a "bare bones" to build a team on.

Great point. I remember that Daniher's big problem was the lack of a spine. He had White and Neitz, and a promising young Rivers but he also had to make do without FB, CHB and CHF (and no, he did not think of Robbo or Biz as key position).

It's going back a long way but it's funny how our thoughts change. Obviously, we need mids. With (effectively) four first round picks this year, we could have a whole new center square starting in 2013.

i have found it difficult to find any positives this year

I can only find three

- the continuing improvement of Howe

- the continuing improvement of Jones

- Clark justifying his selection

I am Pinning my hopes on the fact that we have had a terrible run with injuries in the second half of the season

and it is has been difficult to see some of our better players in action.

I hope like hell that 2013 will allow us the have less injuries and our better players on the field more often.

I think the inprovement is in the intangibles. The FD has had some time to bed down and get some of its programs happening. Results may take until into the new year.

The greatest improvement from where I sit is the notion that the FD will now have a very clear indication of who stays and who goes

Knowledge has improved. Next stop, the playing list.

• Like 2

i have found it difficult to find any positives this year

I can only find three

- the continuing improvement of Howe

- the continuing improvement of Jones

- Clark justifying his selection

I am Pinning my hopes on the fact that we have had a terrible run with injuries in the second half of the season

and it is has been difficult to see some of our better players in action.

I hope like hell that 2013 will allow us the have less injuries and our better players on the field more often.

I can add two -

The emergence of Tom Mc

The further development of Jack Watts

• Like 1

I can add two -

The emergence of Tom Mc

The further development of Jack Watts

Grimes playing a full season, and improving as the season progresses.

Trengove developing (I know there are some naysayers here). He's near the top of possessions (next to Grimes)

New leaders emerging (these two, plus Clarke), which is highly important given the previous black hole of leaders at our club.

Neeld has a massive recruiting and devleoping summer coming up. Recruiting Clarke was brilliant.

A lot depends on getting our youngsters fit to play.

• Like 1

Thought Nicholson was coming good too prior to injury. Individually I think there's a bit to look fwd to. Its just when you add the long list of disastrous seasons - jurrah, Bate, Petterd, Maloney, Davey, Gysberts, Morton, Dunn and MacDonald (for most of the year), Stef Martin, Cook - it never ends. Lot of disasters!

I'm optimistic about next year.

Was last year too.

• Like 1

I've all but given up watching Melbourne play. I watch other games. I find it miserable watching the Dees. Haven't written Neeld off but this has been a shocking year. I'm not renewing my membersip or my son's next year until I see improvement. I feel the club treats it's members like muppets.

I've all but given up watching Melbourne play. I watch other games. I find it miserable watching the Dees. Haven't written Neeld off but this has been a shocking year. I'm not renewing my membersip or my son's next year until I see improvement. I feel the club treats it's members like muppets.

Disappointing Ned. Will you then get back on board when things turn around? (A big assumption, I know). We need all the members we can get. Remember the black hole we were in a few years ago. Some hard work was put in behind the scenes so that we can now talk about football, and not finances or mergers. Up to the footy department and players now. But we need to support them and membership is a must.

• Like 1

This forum can sometimes be so negative. I have seen some promising signs. After NEELD scrapped back all the layers of the rubbish left by his predecessors we were not competitive in the first half of the year. Now even though we have had Jamar - Watts- Clarke - Jurrah etc injured we have been competitive and won against the minnows.

Players that have excited me this year are;

WATTS - Finally found a spot on the ground where he can continue his education and have a impact in a match.

McDONALD - Great tank, good footy smarts, the disposel will get better and he will learn what he can and cant do. Will be a Star.

JONES - Has become a real leader and grown a leg this season, disposal muchly improved.

CLARKE - Will be a focal point up forward for many years and a great leader.

HOWE - Can take a mark we all know that, is a very cleaver footballer that will improve with another pre season. Love this guy.

BLEASE - starting to believe in himself, stamina will improve with another pre season or two. Electrifying pace.

GRIMES - his last 2 months have been fantastic, remember this bloke has not had a clear run at his game until this season.

TRENGROVE - Was not 100% fit early in the season starting to get the ball more now and look free in movement. Still a young kid and still better that SCULLY.

STRAUSS - Great to see him on the park great foot skills, next year will be a breakout year for him if he can complete a full pre season.

GAWN - 12 months in the gym enough said.

SPENCER - will never tear a game apart but has been honest and getting better since JAMAR went down.

COUCH/MAGNER - Cheap as chips and shown enough to think they will be better equipped to see out a full AFL season with another pre season or two.

Gysberts - Will be a player

We also have money in the bank to spend and will be spending it.

• Like 1