I know it is a big if but IF we can win the contested ball and our outside runners in Bennell and Blease can spread we may play some ok footy with Jurrah and Mitch dominating down forward.

One area of concern is that presumably Clark will have to perform ruck duties to relieve TMR......who will be our big, tough, strong, aggressive target up forward when he is doing that?

Could we possibly be so old fashioned as to 'rest' the ruckman deep in the forward line - after all it worked pretty well for old uncle Norm, with Big Bob Johnson !!

Realistically Martin wasn't going to come straight back in after injury time off.

Does any one know if he (and Sellar and Fitz for that matter) are in the Casey line up (assuming I think that the byes don't start until next weekend??) ??

Edited by monoccular

I know it is a big if but IF we can win the contested ball and our outside runners in Bennell and Blease can spread we may play some ok footy with Jurrah and Mitch dominating down forward.

That is a big ask.

One has not done it in 53 games and the other is a baby with 6 games to his credit.

Make no mistake folks. Liam is champing at the bit and ready to go!

After today's events, there will be even more pressure on him - it will be a great test of his character and of his and the club's leadership qualities.

I have a feeling that he will do well, with things to prove, though may be physically underdone.

One area of concern is that presumably Clark will have to perform ruck duties to relieve TMR......who will be our big, tough, strong, aggressive target up forward when he is doing that?

Could we possibly be so old fashioned as to 'rest' the ruckman deep in the forward line - after all it worked pretty well for old uncle Norm, with Big Bob Johnson !!

We did last week after half time.

On the selections, the outs speak for themselves. Bail Bate Petterd and Fitzpatrick were obvious outs. The ins with Jurrah underdone were obvious with feeling any tinge of excitement about it. Interesting Dunn is not picked (happy on that one) even though he was leading possession gatherer last week for Casey. His future is looking cloudy

Swans by 8 goals. I hope I am wrong but I cant see it.

After today's events, there will be even more pressure on him - it will be a great test of his character and of his and the club's leadership qualities.

I have a feeling that he will do well, with things to prove, though may be physically underdone.

Notwithstanding Rudeboy's observation, i reckon Jurrah will be underdone and tire in the 2nd half that is if he is not distracted by the adverse developments arising today

Realistically Martin wasn't going to come straight back in after injury time off.

Does any one know if he (and Sellar and Fitz for that matter) are in the Casey line up (assuming I think that the byes don't start until next weekend??) ??

Keep Jamar in the ruck all game - make him stay in the middle and zone defensively.

He's fit, it's not that hard.

Edit - If Neeld plays Mitch in the ruck again, I'll be bloody annoyed.

Edited by jumbo returns
  • Like 1

Keep Jamar in the ruck all game - make him stay in the middle and zone defensively.

If Neeld plays Mitch in the ruck, I'll be bloody annoyed!

There's no way in the known universe Jamar will ruck all game. Neeld has signalled with this side that he intends on playing Clark in the ruck for 5-10 minutes a quarter. I don't like it either, but there's no viable alternative at the moment when all the other choices have flunked this year.

As far as I know Casey have a bye, happy to be proved wrong though. I remember hearing something about Casey and Melbourne playing an intraclub match to give players match fit.

It was quite funny where I was watching Fox League Teams, Stefs name got mentioned with him waving to the camera last Friday. Someone asked where he'd been, pretty much all of them said, "oh he can't seem to break into the team". Not one of them actually thought he'd been injured.

I'm going to Sydney for this game, looking forward to seeing LJ out there. I envisage him being the super sub.

Why dont we get Jamar to win the contested possession and clearance as well as the hit out???

If Mumford and Seaby are out they might ruck him 90% of the game but he will need a break.

$1.09 to $9.00 Head to Head. Looking at our side and the outs for Sydney (Seaby and Mumford not playing), If Jamar can dominate it will take us a long way IMO. Sneaky chance on a smaller ground and terrific value head-to-head.

Although as always it comes down to midfield. Parker, Jack, Kennedy, head a handy lot.

If the likes of Sylvia, Moloney, Jones can do jobs we are in it. (Big if ?) Dees by 5.

• Like 1

The outs are right:

Fitzpatrick is not ready for the pace of it;

Bail has given very little this year which is a huge disappointment because where's the run without him?

Bate has gone off the boil after a couple of terrific weeks so hopefully he gets the message

And Petterd has been ineffectual.

Jurrah is a must and so is Blease. Watts might be a tad lucky but I hope he fires on the wing or up forward. Greeny could be on his last go round.

Can't complain too much although I thought Watts could be left out longer and might have been if Casey had a game this week.

Hey WJ - do you believe that stuff they fed you? I hope they're right.

I don't think it makes sense to make Jurrah the sub. If he's fit enough to play at all then he must be fit enough to play more than one quarter. It makes more sense to plan to sub him _off_, if he's blowing too hard come 3/4 time. He's a potential match winner, so I want to maximise the amount of time he spends on the ground. Playing a single quarter and a bit won't do much to speed up his return to full fitness either.

Besides, doesn't the sub have to come out of the bench - Blease, Bennell, Green, Watts? I'd be happy with any of those four being the sub for varying reasons.

• Like 1

Why dont we get Jamar to win the contested possession and clearance as well as the hit out???

He is up against Mumford. There is no way he will be able to compete hard all against Mumford.

Get ready to be annoyed.

Mumford is not in, neither Seaby. Pyke is in the ruck.

If Mumford and Seaby are out they might ruck him 90% of the game but he will need a break.

Seaby and Mumford not playing???

Jamar's a supposed leader - time for him to stand up!!

Keep Clark forward.

Thanks Noted that and have corrected my earlier post. Jamar will still need a rest at some stage IMO.

Looking at the Swans - this is off League Teams - Fox Footy: -

B: Mattner Richards Shaw

HB: Smith Grundy McVeigh

C: Jetta Kennedy Malceski

HF: O'Keefe Walsh Hannebery

F: McGlynn Reid Dennis-Lane

R: Pyke Jack Bolton

Int: Roberts-Thomson Bird Parker Johnson

Emerg: White Everitt Armstrong

I had Reid in my UF team and he's done squat to date this year after very promising signs in the NAB. The Swans have mature on ballers - Kennedy, Hannebery, Bird, Parker. They're honest as you'll get and hard to beat. But they're missing Goodes and their rucks. If our mids can lift a tad and our defenders stand tall, we could go close here. Big call I know. Obviously the likes of McGlynn , Dennis Lane will need to be kept in check but if we can limit their scoring, a chance.

$9 is value for the punters - I'd suggest the line what ever that is.

• Like 1

not if jamar continues to tap the ball to his feet

Valid point of course. He needs to be effective against Pyke.

Interested to see who takes Kennedy ? McKenzie ? Kennedy has been influential but so have a number of their other onballers. Hope our "brains trust" took note of what Richmond did. I missed their game.

Great changes. team looks very good.

Only wonder why Martin hasn't gotten a game. I thought his last half was good in vfl and he showed great versatility and speed and kicked a great goal from CHF. Would add a 2nd target to Clark + would back up ruck