Any of our young players potential star material? And who?

Surprised no one has nominated either Bennell or Morton at this stage..?

I think Morton will be a good player as I said but not a "star"

Bennell not even average for mine

Cut sick is a way of saying cut loose. (sorry old Dee, might be a local thing to say here in Tassie, not sure)

So the reverse of what hardtack was suggesting ?

Funny before hardtack advised me that was what I was thinking.

So gone a couple years you think?

I had such high hopes for Grimes, Watts, Jurrah etc. It pains me how bad Melbourne FC is at turning great youngsters into genuine stars of the competition

There aren't too many youngsters who turn into genuine stars in under 50 games.

Maybe we should let some of these guys get through a couple of full seasons, not to mention a couple of pre-seasons, before we start sticking the boots into the club.

• Like 1

Surprised no one has nominated either Bennell or Morton at this stage..?

Bennell couldnt get a run in the under 11s with his pea heart

Guest José Mourinho

"Cut sick" would indicate he would be very good.

Interchangeable with phrases like "go mental", "go nuts", "go insane"... etc.

Basically saying he would find some very good form.

Guest José Mourinho

Bennell couldnt get a run in the under 11s with his pea heart

Fairly offensive and IMHO ignorant comment.

Just because a player isn't the toughest on the park, doesn't make him a "pea heart."

I've seen some brave acts from Bennell on the field.

• Like 2

Fairly offensive and IMHO ignorant comment.

Just because a player isn't the toughest on the park, doesn't make him a "pea heart."

I've seen some brave acts from Bennell on the field.

Yes I agree....I don't think he will make it,but no AFL player is a coward.

At this stage I'd take 22 good, honest AFL footballers - stars are hard to come by.

Surprised to see Blease and Howe mentioned so often. Howe works hard and is spectacular but is very untidy with his disposal. Blease can't crack a spot in our team when we are crying out for pace around our half forward line. He has a long way to go.

Gysberts and Tynan are the only potentials for me, mainly because they can win their own ball in traffic despite under developed AFL bodies.

• Like 1

nutbean it is just a bit of fun on a Dees supporters web site.

Why not?

It is not the end of the world if we get it wrong.

Just part of the fun of being able to discuss things about the MFC with fellow supporters.

Do you think Blease knows I exist let alone cares what I think of his ability.

I am struggling to see the harm

I wasn't poo poo'ing the thread.

I was just expressing my concern that it is my belief we have had lots of talent in for many years and i hope and i pray that this regime can educate, teach, cajole, horsewhip- whatever it takes to bring players on because it has been sorely absent for the best part of a decade.Our "talent" seems to progress and then hits a ceiling and the ceiling aint too high.

So i can see lots of potential stars but I am sitting on my hands until I am sure this regime(or at least get some indication) has what it takes to help make potential a reality.

I wasn't poo poo'ing the thread.

I was just expressing my concern that it is my belief we have had lots of talent in for many years and i hope and i pray that this regime can educate, teach, cajole, horsewhip- whatever it takes to bring players on because it has been sorely absent for the best part of a decade.Our "talent" seems to progress and then hits a ceiling and the ceiling aint too high.

So i can see lots of potential stars but I am sitting on my hands until I am sure this regime(or at least get some indication) has what it takes to help make potential a reality.

No problem mate, this thread is a small side light in an otherwise depressing year for Dees supporters.

This is of course is for another thread but I seriously wonder about the "development of talent"

I have this horrible feeling that a number of our players have reached the maximum level already.

But that is for another time

No problem mate, this thread is a small side light in an otherwise depressing year for Dees supporters.

This is of course is for another thread but I seriously wonder about the "development of talent"

I have this horrible feeling that a number of our players have reached the maximum level already.

But that is for another time

Why?

The thread says 'who is star material' - we have always had that.

We struggle to turn them into something more substantial.

It's the most relevant question.

Our players haven't got near their potential. It's easy to see.

• Like 1

Why?

I am not trying to pick a fight with you rpfc

Because the thread is not about "are we not developing players"

The thread is called "Any of our young players potential star material? And who?"

That to me suggests the author was asking who of our young players are potential star players?

if that is true I was trying not to get the thread off on a side track

Why?

Can i quadruple like a post?

I am not trying to pick a fight with you rpfc

Because the thread is not about "are we not developing players"

The thread is called "Any of our young players potential star material? And who?"

That to me suggests the author was asking who of our young players are potential star players?

if that is true I was trying not to get the thread off on a side track

And you are saying - knowing our record of not developing players - only Jurrah might make it.

I am saying that we have plenty of 'potential stars' and turning them into stars should be easier with our new setup.

So we can all make pointless predictions that can be measured in 5 years time or we can have a discussion.

"Cut sick" would indicate he would be very good.

Interchangeable with phrases like "go mental", "go nuts", "go insane"... etc.

Basically saying he would find some very good form.

So essentially, it is the same as what hardtack was saying :-)

Gysberts and Tynan are the only potentials for me, mainly because they can win their own ball in traffic despite under developed AFL bodies.

That's the way I see it. Gysberts has that x-factor (sounds corny) that I havent seen at the demons since Scotty Thompson. I thought Garland looked like a quality defender but like many he has taken a step back.

Guest José Mourinho

So essentially, it is the same as what hardtack was saying :-)

Yes.

I think old dee misinterpreted oucher's use of the "cut loose" phrase as well.

Possibly not the best example to use.

That's the way I see it. Gysberts has that x-factor (sounds corny) that I havent seen at the demons since Scotty Thompson. I thought Garland looked like a quality defender but like many he has taken a step back.

I think Gysbert looks good but i'm wondering how his stocks would be if he wasn't injured.

If Trengove was injured, no doubt his stocks would be a lot higher then it is now.

I think Trengove, Watts, Gawn, Frawley look most likely to be better then the norm.

Grimes, Howe are a shade below. Jurrah is a great top up player but can't build teams around him.

I was pretty confident of those 4 but there's something about MFC.

I wish we had Gysberts back. I think he was a massive part in our good patch last year, dominated against Essendon.

Watts will be fantastic, and is fantastic in my opinion. Trengove will be good but I haven't seen enough to crown him as a "superstar midfielder" like Joel Selwood. I think Howe is our best performed young player at the moment, though. I think he's in the top few for the contested marks this year in the league, he'll be a star half forward. A few more goals from him would be nice though. I think players like Morton will always just be average.

I'd like to think Blease will be a star too, although why aren't we giving him a game?

Watts will be fantastic, and is fantastic in my opinion.

Yes, he's so fantastic that in his 4th year he's running around in the VFL team, while the club he represents is stone motherless last of 18 teams almost a third of the way through the season.

The guy is bloody marvellous.

Yes.

I think old dee misinterpreted oucher's use of the "cut loose" phrase as well.

Possibly not the best example to use.

JM I am now official lost.

Seems like we are two people seperated by a common language

Edited by old dee

Yes, he's so fantastic that in his 4th year he's running around in the VFL team, while the club he represents is stone motherless last of 18 teams almost a third of the way through the season.

The guy is bloody marvellous.

Hey, I didn't support the dropping decision in any way, shape or form. Consider it our team's loss that we aren't playing him when he's still one of our best players

• Like 2

Hey, I didn't support the dropping decision in any way, shape or form. Consider it our team's loss that we aren't playing him when he's still one of our best players

Hey, I did support it, all the way. Consider it my stance against players that lack effort and intensity at the contest, which is a blight on one's teammates, as well as oneself.