Bring him back!!!!

Je Roos Salem

I'm a big fan of Watts and believe he'll make it, but he needs to get the KPIs right. Then he'll deserve a call up. Good selection this week with regard to Fitzy. See if he can get it done at this level. Either way his height will hopefully provide Hawthorn a few headaches and he'll also give Jamar a chop out. We'll see Whopper back soon enough.

Edited by AdamFarr

He'll be back next week... nothing surer as they won't see any use in leaving him languishing while Casey takes a break.

Did you see Watts in one of the Casey clips this week? He sees the Geelong guy coming and he looks startled. Then he tackles with the ferocity usually seen in a waltz. Then the ball spills and he just moves away like he thinks he has done enough. The Geelong guy looks at Watts like he's a little bewildered. I think he was embarassed for Watts.

I'm really, really worried after seeing that.

Did you see Watts in one of the Casey clips this week? He sees the Geelong guy coming and he looks startled. Then he tackles with the ferocity usually seen in a waltz. Then the ball spills and he just moves away like he thinks he has done enough. The Geelong guy looks at Watts like he's a little bewildered. I think he was embarassed for Watts.

Geelong Player quotes 'it was like my ford pickup driving down a dusty road after training one night and bhammmm...... a kangaroo with his eyes just glarring at my headlights , mustve been thinking wat the hell am I doing here....'

Guest José Mourinho

Nothing like a bit of overexaggeration.

Watts didn't look "startled".

He should have made more of an effort to throw the guy to ground in the tackle(Kersten?) but clearly didn't have the relative bulk.

The other player was obviously expecting it, and showed disdain when Watts didn't.

Simple gamesmanship.

It would be a sight more embarrassing for a lightweight Watts to physically struggle to throw a player to the ground, and in the process fail miserably.

He is not built like the incredible Hulk.

He is a lightweight that needs a lot more time in the gym.

He needs time, and you're a fool if you're going to ignore his build and are not willing to afford him that.

Like another poster I hope he's not back next week - unless of course, he deserves it.

Just show me one game of kamikaze football. Even a quarter. Because right now I don't believe you deserve to play at the highest level. You need to become really hungry. You're nowhere near it.

He should have made more of an effort to throw the guy to ground in the tackle(Kersten?) but clearly didn't have the relative bulk.

The other player was obviously expecting it, and showed disdain when Watts didn't.

Simple gamesmanship.

It would be a sight more embarrassing for a lightweight Watts to physically struggle to throw a player to the ground, and in the process fail miserably.

He needs time, and you're a fool if you're going to ignore his build and are not willing to afford him that.

you got more excuses there than a spin doctor hose

he's big enough, heavy enough, strong enough and been around enough to lay a decent tackle..........if he wanted to

Simple gamesmanship.

I really feel it was a mistake for watts to lose weight when he should be gaining a few KGs each year.

Even if he is in the midfield, in the AFL there are plenty of strong heavy midfielders like Pendlebury who would out bustle Watts too easily.

We have made him into a fitter footballer doing more kms but he has lost confidence in his physical ability in the clinches.

Guest José Mourinho

you got more excuses there than a spin doctor hose

he's big enough, heavy enough, strong enough and been around enough to lay a decent tackle..........if he wanted to

Have a look at the footage.

I saw it and predicted this thoughtless reaction.

It's pretty obvious Kersten is a lot heavier, and Watts would just fail to get him down, looking silly in the process.

It's bloody physics FFS.

High centre of gravity, lack of strength, and lack of weight.

If he had the bulk, then criticism would be justified.

So if I wanted really really badly to be able to flap my arms and fly, could I do it?

It's this sort of mindless "if he wants it enough" guff that is the real embarrassment.

There are other factors to be taken into consideration.

Guest José Mourinho

I really feel it was a mistake for watts to lose weight when he should be gaining a few KGs each year.

Even if he is in the midfield, in the AFL there are plenty of strong heavy midfielders like Pendlebury who would out bustle Watts too easily.

We have made him into a fitter footballer doing more kms but he has lost confidence in his physical ability in the clinches.

When did Watts LOSE weight??

It's pretty obvious Kersten is a lot heavier, and Watts would just fail to get him down, looking silly in the process.

It's bloody physics FFS.

So if I wanted really really badly to be able to flap my arms and fly, could I do it?

It's this sort of mindless "if he wants it enough" guff that is the real embarrassment.

so you have to be heavier than someone to tackle effectively

i live and learn something every day

It's bloody physics FFS.

You speak with forked tongue.

One of the great up-lifting moments for supporters and teammates alike is when an undersized player brings down a behemoth on the opposition.

I think I've discovered why we'll never agree on much. I have non negotiables when it comes to our players' efforts and you have negotiables. I want players to have a red hot crack and you come up with reasons, such as physics (spare me), why they shouldn't.

It's bloody physics FFS.

Back it off Hose....You could do with some anger management.

Guest José Mourinho

Back it off Hose....You could do with some anger management.

Where is the anger?

Mostly imagined, I'd say.

Guest José Mourinho

so you have to be heavier than someone to tackle effectively

i live and learn something every day

No, he did tackle him effectively.

He just didn't throw him to the ground in anger as part of the tackle.

And I don't really think in his current state that Watts would have even been able to do that.

Guest José Mourinho

You speak with forked tongue.

One of the great up-lifting moments for supporters and teammates alike is when an undersized player brings down a behemoth on the opposition.

I think I've discovered why we'll never agree on much. I have non negotiables when it comes to our players' efforts and you have negotiables. I want players to have a red hot crack and you come up with reasons, such as physics (spare me), why they shouldn't.

Look, I agree the intent should have been there, and I was disappointed by it, but at the same time it was overhyped the other way.

It's somewhere in the middle of the 2 views.

The effort wasn't there. I agree. It looked soft.

And it's the main reason I don't want him back in the AFL side yet.

But at the same time, what did anyone expect of him?

He's not big enough to really throw his weight around in that situation.

I come up with reasons why we should maintain a balanced view.

There's a lot to work on, but there's a lot to work with.

Look hose its quite simple

I'm not a watts knocker but he is a shyte tackler

none of your excuses explain his pizz-poor efforts at getting physical

(sorry for the lavatory language but you didn't seem to be getting the message)

Guest José Mourinho

Look hose its quite simple

I'm not a watts knocker but he is a shyte tackler

none of your excuses explain his pizz-poor efforts at getting physical

(sorry for the lavatory language but you didn't seem to be getting the message)

I don't disagree with any of that.

But I was just trying to bring some balance to the discussion, because it wasn't as bad as it was being painted.

Trust me, if I get a chance to speak to the boy, I'll tell him he needs to get some c*** into him, or else his career will go nowhere.

Look, I agree the intent should have been there, and I was disappointed by it, but at the same time it was overhyped the other way.

It's somewhere in the middle of the 2 views.

The effort wasn't there. I agree. It looked soft.

And it's the main reason I don't want him back in the AFL side yet.

But at the same time, what did anyone expect of him?

He's not big enough to really throw his weight around in that situation.

I come up with reasons why we should maintain a balanced view.

There's a lot to work on, but there's a lot to work with.

This is essentially it.

I'm all for him putting the effort in, but given he has a terribly high centre of gravity, most tackles, especially on shorter, stockier players, won't stick anyway. He needs to find a better way to curtail these types of players, so obviously this is why he's still at Casey.

Jose is definitely right, I have many friends who appear to be well-built (much like Watts) who just can't tackle me because my centre of gravity is so low. In the words of Montgomery Scott: "Ye cannae change the laws of physics!"

Guest Jackie

Too many of our players tackle with their arms only and don't put their body in to the tackle. They have got to get close and personal and get their lower half of the body in solid contact with their target as they wrap their arms around them. Too often our players nether regions are the furtherest distance between them and their target with lots of air in between. Watts is a main culprit of this hanging out arse technique.

We desperately need JW back in the senior team ....... but not until our coaching staff are satisfied that he has earned his place!! Yes, I know it's stating the bleeding obvious, but sadly, it's been far too long since our selection decisions have been based solely on form, and not name and reputation. Mark Neeld is a 'breath of fresh air' on this issue at least.

No, he did tackle him effectively.

He just didn't throw him to the ground in anger as part of the tackle.

And I don't really think in his current state that Watts would have even been able to do that.

I don't agree Jose. I brought this instance up on O'logy, and agree with others here. You don't have to throw him to ground in anger, a firm tackle to bring him to ground and keep him from having any influence of proceedings is required in today's game. Like Ben, it's a non negotiable. It's what other footballers of opposition teams (not all players admittedly, but te players of well coached sides) do and do well.

The Geelong player immediately resumed chasing the Casey players and Watts was left standing there thinking "jobs done".

It's one of many instances on the footy field - the 1%'s - that infuriates me if not carried out. Heck, I see the GWS boys doing it, they're underweight. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Anyone should be able to help a teammate and impede them legally.