It's not only the mid field that lacks pace

For much of the year several threads and comments (including one of my own) have highlighted the problem of pace notably the midfield. Leigh Matthews commented on 693 the other night when reflecting on the Melbourne team that a problem he saw with the backline was that it lacked pace. It lacks those who can break the lines. From my persepctive hard bodies are not the only means of creating pressure. Speed also kills and a Chip Frawley in form is the best we have. Joel Mac tries but skills let him down. Grimes is just learning and may develop this ability. Who knows about Tom Mac yet, just a bit early and he may end up on forward line. James Strauss was picked for such a role but such a broken journey makes it hard to know of his potential. Rivers, Garland and Bartram are all experienced campaingers have hit their peak and game style and won't change now. Others we await in the wings are Tynan, Davis and Taggert and perhaps Bennell and Nickolson. We await their development. But I agree with leigh. We need to improve in this area of our game.

May I pose a serious question for anyone who reallly understands (as opposed to just thinks they have an opinion they would like to share) sports development etc:

How much can another preseason under Missen be expected to improve our overall leg speed as opposed to endurance?

Can top grade conditioning turn a plodder into a racehorse, to any extent?

Leg speed is one thing, but moving the ball is another, if we can start hitting players with our kicks and handballs, it will be amazing how much quicker we seem!

And I agree - how "slow" was Greg Williams, yet how quick was he in decision making and precision delivery especially by hand?

• Like 1

Agree age, very well put.

Ball speed is crucial to outletting the ball successfully from defence, in the cause of AFL, ball speed is primarily achieved by quick decisions.

Watch a few players gain a yard of pace, when successfully 'release' players into space

They have been trying to get Bennell to do that but he hasn't fired up yet.

Apparently may be getting the message and the confidence to do just this, if KC's most recent report is anything to go by

This has been evident for a long time I reckon HR. We desperately need a couple of classy rebounding defenders. One of the reasons why it is important to get someone like Strauss firing.

May I pose a serious question for anyone who reallly understands (as opposed to just thinks they have an opinion they would like to share) sports development etc:

How much can another preseason under Missen be expected to improve our overall leg speed as opposed to endurance?

Conditioning will probably help the amount of time players can run full bull, but wouldn't have any effect on actual speed and acceleration. Things that can improve this upon natural characteristics are technique, muscle and flexibility.

Edited by DeeDay

Guest gidon

Other than Rivers, I dont see anyone if the back half with speed issues. Frawley can play tall or small due to goood speed. Batram is not slow (in fact had speed in his younger yrs). Garland is similar to Frawley. Not sure if Grimes is considered slow, etc. In fact except for Garland i dont see great kickers in the backline. Especially ones that can break the lines.

Leigh Matthews again?

He lost me with his pathetic comments about Clark and Hudson.

What a [censored].

Agreed, Leigh really covered himself in glory with those well thought out comments. What a geriatric [censored].

Edited by Steamin Demon

As far as I'm concerned, leg speed is irrelevant unless you don't have the ball; then it becomes really important. Tackling, spreading from contests, leading, and so forth all require great speed, but all the legspeed in the world is useless if your ball movement is slow.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 1

Rivers, Garland and Bartram are all experienced campaingers have hit their peak and game style and won't change now.

I think Garland is still developing and a long way from his peak.

Rivers I will concede is pretty much what you see is what you will get from now on and Bartram I'm not sure of, if they could address his disposal then he has a lot more in him.

As far as I'm concerned, leg speed is irrelevant unless you don't have the ball; then it becomes really important. Tackling, spreading from contests, leading, and so forth all require great speed, but all the legspeed in the world is useless if your ball movement is slow.

Points taken

Sure you have to be able, and willing by the way, to give chase and run for the loose ball.

But quickness of mind - decision making, summing up the situation and options - is vital especially coming out of defence.

And I am sure a big improvement in general fitness and endurance levels makes it all the easier to keep your cool. If you are physically buggered when you eventually get the ball the thought processes aren't going to be flash.

Guest Jackie

Agreed, Leigh really covered himself in glory with those well thought out comments. What a geriatric [censored].

Leigh Mathews career achievements 10/10. MFC in the the same time frame 0/10.

agility is something that can compensate for speed. Peter Walsh was a great example, his great evasive skills used to buy him time and space and compensate greatly for lack leg speed

Leigh Mathews career achievements 10/10. MFC in the the same time frame 0/10.

Leigh is in the media now so to remain relevant you have to create some level of controversy. Take 5 points off for media duties and a couple off for being out of the game for more than a couple of years.

Great player/coach but being kind maybe a 3/10 now.

Is Missen our running coach now?