• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Bad Melbourne Supporters

pitchfork

Frankly there are lots of unathletic idiots out there and we have a proportion as our supporters - though not as large a cohort as within Collingwood and Richmonds supporter base of course!

People who have never played football, people who dont know the rules people, who cant acknowledge that there are two football teams playing - that cant give credit to (for example) Lenny Hayes finding a way through to kick a goal against us or other great opponent play or people who expect instant results from young players.

• Like 4

I had the displeasure of having one such supporter behind me in the MCC for the first quarter on Saturday night. After 25 minutes of constant derision and abuse - mostly directed at Watts, despite him often having no responsibility for the passage of play - I turned around and asked the bloke if he was for real.

Any Melbourne supporter whingeing during the first quarter Saturday night has NFI. They were totally switched on and matching a pretty tidy unit.

Last 'supporter" I had carrying on a bit was, funnily enough, bagging Tom McDonald. I had to point out it was only the kid's third or fourth game. Maybe he was Sloonie? And then Tom Mac goes and handpasses to a 'Dog just to shut me up.

Still I hate it when we eat our own. Yes sometimes the players frustrate us but the endless bagging some fans go on with is so inappropriate but we are no worse than others at that.

• Like 1

Now Davey played his best game for about 3 years, so this was absurd.

I find this more disturbing......

Davey's situation frustrates me. It was DB who tried to develop Davey into a midfielder. He has definitely gotten bigger in muscle size since 2004 and has lost a lot of pace, so the role he is now playing is hindered by his loss of pace. He re-invented the FP position, and is now suffering from it. He gets to the right spots but no longer has explosive pace (Jones seemed quicker as a pack crumber).

DB has nothing to do with it. Its ironic Nathan Jones has improved over that time. Davey is responsible for his own holes. And i disagree about getting in the right spots. And spare the re-invented in the FP role. It should be second nature to him.

What's honest about mindless player abuse?

And what's intelligent about it too? Me thinks the poster was part of the family on the day the matter occurred.

FWIW, I recall in a packed Redlegs area, an MFC supporter let go a rant at Gary Ablett Senior saying he was "pizzweak". The whole Redlegs group abused the crap out of the guy to show some respect. Ablett kicked 10 goals that day....

And what's intelligent about it too? Me thinks the poster was part of the family on the day the matter occurred.

yeah good onya mate, every 2nd bloke at the ground is like that. Funny how you have a club be an absolute mess for 47 years and there's some angry folks watching isn't it?

lucky we have supporters like you 'showing respect for the opposition' while they kick 10 goals on us , that's why we are such a fearsome powerhouse

i bet you cheered on Brad Miller being a zero impact KPP for 150 games

• Like 1

I am admittedly like that quite often. I was that kind of supporter in rounds 1 and 3. Rounds 4 and 5, I've been on the edge of my seat, praising almost every possession.

I loved every minute of Saturday, but had a pretty rough go at Bartram when he dropped a mark with about 4-5 minutes to go, only for the Saints to get a chest mark inside 50 about 5 seconds later, before kicking a goal and confirming the win. I had a real go at him.

Looking back I was probably harsh, but he played an awesome game imo, and has had a pretty good year.

I see nothing wrong with calling out players that make mistakes, and players that consistently fail to put in an effort required to win the ball.

But you'd have been harsh to be entirely critical on Saturday. They put in a tough effort.

I actually like this thread, it backs up what i have been saying, there are some supporters out there who actually seem to love to wallow in the misery all the time, they think the light they see at the end of the tunnel is the train!!, why do they go to games, don't bother, and even don't buy a membership, I am sure we could miss out on about the 10 or 20 I have actually heard in the last few years

Everybody gets frustrated with the way we play sometimes, but unless you want to come out from behind your 'nickname' and identify yourself as an ex VFL/AFL player who played more than one game......you have your opinion on certain players and you are entited to it, but not all of us agree with continually bagging them.....keep it to yourself, I jump straight over any post that contains crap like that, so I may miss something good you have to say.

On Joel Mac, I spoke to Jade Rawlings about him, said he needs to nickname him 'Crazy Horse' after a former soccer player for Liverpool called Emlyn Hughes...he would rush everywhere at 100mph, make horrendous howlers, but he would time and time again put his body on the line to stop a goal....and occasionally do something completely amazing, to me that is Joel Mac and he can put you on a roller coaster each time he gets the ball, but he is fun to watch, remember footy is fun

I sat in front of a so called supporter in Darwin last year who did the same thing to Cale Morton, but in this case, I turned around pretty early and told him to shut up if he didn't have anything good to say, as he was supposedly there 'supporting'...he did

You reckon our supporters can be bad. An Essendon mate of mine (sad to admit I know) took me to Windy Hill about 30 years ago. Some Essendon members not only abused, but spat on their players at half time as they came up the race. I saw this and still find it hard to believe.

This is why I hate hearing people on here slate Joel Mac and others in the past they give their all for the red and the blue and they have played more AFL games than I and most on Demonland.

I've been watching crap players at this club for 40 years. The fact that some "give their all" leaves me a little underwhelmed. While your sentiments may be noble they don't particularly resonate with me. I may remember some players quite fondly once they're retired, but either improve, or pizz off.

I accept that not all players can be stars, or even very good, but if I just about have apoplexy when you're about to be given the ball, such is your diabolical usage, then I have little sympathy for the unpleasant comments that may be directed your way.

Edited by Ben-Hur

I constantly read in these forums about how we, as supporters, shouldn't 'tolerate' the following:

- Mediocrity

- Poor performances

- A close, but 'noble' loss to a good side

My question is, how does one go about 'not tolerating' these things as a supporter of a football club? I guess these are the options:

- Go to the game and yell at/abuse the players and/or coaches (a popular option)

- Tear up memberships, and/or refuse to attend the games

- Log in to this forum and write about why we are angry, work out who is to blame

IMO none of the above options are actually productive, and won't actually go any way to improving the performance of the club. The first option will leave you stressed and frustrated, and will annoy the sh*t out of the poor bastards who have to sit in front of you. The second option hurts the club financially, which certainly has no positive impact. The third option has a similar impact as the first option.

So what do we do, as supporters? I think the best thing we can do, is SUPPORT the club. Continue to attend the games and buy memberships, and hope that the ppl running the joint can actually head in the right direction. Maybe write a letter to the club, and have reasonable debates on this forum, rather than constantly playing a pointless blame game.

Also, I find it funny when someone says that MFC fans 'accept mediocrity'. It is SO lame, and a ridiculous concept.

• Like 3

Guest Dr Who

Melbourne has too many supporters that fit this below description: (please add your experiences/opinions)

I sat behind a guy with a family who saw fit to complain about almost every MFC player throughout the St Kilda game. Now all Melbourne supporters should, and would have been in the right to, have been angry at the first four rounds...But when they perform well and most importantly show genuine effort and hunger to wear the red-and-blue, we should be backing them.

This individual, with a family at the game saw fit to single out three players.

Jack Watts

Cale Morton

Aaron Davey

Now Davey played his best game for about 3 years, so this was absurd.

With Watts, it actually had little to do with the football, If Jack was within 50 m of something poor happening on the ground, the fault was attributed to him.

Cale Morton looked like an AFL footballer for the first time ever - yet this [censored] seemed intent on lambasting him and repeatedly calling him "chicken legs"...Not a problem, but it was said with such spite.

This occurred for well over an hour of the game - unfortunately I think this guy had 3AW at max volume for the duration, so it was pretty hard to put him in his place.

There are MFC Supporters who go year in year out, and then there are people who seem attached to the club as if its some kind of burden...we don't need you (but please please please buy membership each year!)

I 100% agree with you & good on you for bring it up. You are a true Demons supporter - we have to make a stand.

My father has been following us since 1956 and in the last 30 years has hardly missed a home game - he claims its never, never been this bad regarding the attitude of some supporters. Their lanuage and abuse it out of control - I've also had enough. It also effects our kids, I remember a few weeks a ago their favourite player James Frawley, who they love, made a mistake and a Melbourne "fan" went off his tree - my kids where definately shaken.

I think the people trying to "defend" these actions are clearly not going to the games.

Well done sadly the club needs to know - but I'm not sure what they can do.

Not sure we're easily pleased dl , and I don't believe that's the reason we haven't won a flag for yonks . I've met many Demon fans who are hard markers . There's a whole combination of reasons in my opinion .

Doggies haven't won a flag for 57 years , the Saints 45 , Tigers 31 . The Pies have only won 2 in 53 years and even Carlton have only won 1 in the last 24 years . Surely all those teams lack of success can't be because all their supporters are easily pleased .

As for the opening post from 'pitchfork' . All supporter groups have fans such as the one you encountered . 'Spose we're not known for our "boisterous" behavoir . I went to see our Demons in many games at Victoria Park - a frightening experience at the best of times . The fans there gave a whole new meaning to "turning on their players and their own" .

Cheers

I think a club can have a many hard markers as it likes. But if we give the accolades to cheaply to the young players, it can have too comforting an effect.

Our young players have too consistently failed to realise they're abilities. It can't be every single Coach & it can't be just bad luck, & it can't be all bad recruiting.

Our players turn out Soft.

IMO it just keeps coming back to the Environment the Kids acclimatise to, when they get to our Club.

i have a preference for yelling at players when they do something really well.(encouragement)

So do I...

And I'll yell at them when they don't go in.

I won't put them down for trying & making mistakes. Thats having a go.

But I will surely as Hell, yell a tirade @ them if they short step a contest they have to get to.

• Like 1

yeah good onya mate, every 2nd bloke at the ground is like that. Funny how you have a club be an absolute mess for 47 years and there's some angry folks watching isn't it?

lucky we have supporters like you 'showing respect for the opposition' while they kick 10 goals on us , that's why we are such a fearsome powerhouse

i bet you cheered on Brad Miller being a zero impact KPP for 150 games

pitchfork was right. Scary

I constantly read in these forums about how we, as supporters, shouldn't 'tolerate' the following:

- Mediocrity

- Poor performances

- A close, but 'noble' loss to a good side

My question is, how does one go about 'not tolerating' these things as a supporter of a football club? I guess these are the options:

- Go to the game and yell at/abuse the players and/or coaches (a popular option)

- Tear up memberships, and/or refuse to attend the games

- Log in to this forum and write about why we are angry, work out who is to blame

IMO none of the above options are actually productive, and won't actually go any way to improving the performance of the club. The first option will leave you stressed and frustrated, and will annoy the sh*t out of the poor bastards who have to sit in front of you. The second option hurts the club financially, which certainly has no positive impact. The third option has a similar impact as the first option.

So what do we do, as supporters? I think the best thing we can do, is SUPPORT the club. Continue to attend the games and buy memberships, and hope that the ppl running the joint can actually head in the right direction. Maybe write a letter to the club, and have reasonable debates on this forum, rather than constantly playing a pointless blame game.

Also, I find it funny when someone says that MFC fans 'accept mediocrity'. It is SO lame, and a ridiculous concept.

Thats Perfect, in an Ideal Footy World .

And I think you've touched on the one of the reasons we do get angry & yell. Because of the 40 Odd years of ineptness from the Club, we don't trust in the Clubs ability to get things Right.

Bagging your own players in public in front of the enemy is lame. Just heap as much carp on the opposition as you can. Preferably as loudly and obnoxiously as possible even for minor mistakes.

Nothing annoys me more than supporters who get upset when people make negative comments.

I never abuse our players and never will, but I get annoyed when we do stupid things and I express that frustration. I'm an emotional footy supporter and I make no apologies for that.

I don't swear (loudly enough for anyone to hear anyway :P), and I will stand and cheer everything good that we do, so if me expressing my emotions annoys people then they can stay at home.

If you want to watch in silence watch it on TV. Otherwise harden up. Our players hear worse from our coaches everyday.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 3

Nothing annoys me more than supporters who get upset when people make negative comments.

I never abuse our players and never will, but I get annoyed when we do stupid things and I express that frustration. I'm an emotional footy supporter and I make no apologies for that.

I don't swear (loudly enough for anyone to hear anyway :P), and I will stand and cheer everything good that we do, so if me expressing my emotions annoys people then they can stay at home.

If you want to watch in silence watch it on TV. Otherwise harden up. Our players hear worse from our coaches everyday.

I'm similar. I don't mind when people point out bad things that happen. What I hate most, however, is when supporters immediately presume the worst. Someone goes down with an injury; "oh, that'll be the season done for him." Someone takes a mark inside 50 "oh, he'll miss it for sure." Similarly, outright abuse of our players is abhorrent. Luckily, I don't hear that very often.

Some of these people would sterilize & homogenise all sports.

Sport is all about competing. Competing is an aggressive act. Life is all about aggression to get things done. Harmony is lovely & I'm almost, Buddhist, but still IMO, aggression is necessary in life.

To over protect is to disarm, & IMO that can have bad after effects.

• Like 1