MCC VS MELBOURNE MEMBERS

GIRO

Guest José Mourinho

You don't "Put up with Life" are you above all else? People are of all types, thank goodness.

I'm quite partial to experiencing the seedier side of life, but I just don't go to the football to bear witness to that sort of disgraceful behaviour.

I'm there to watch the game, not be distracted by those that offend me.

Are you sure?

I've never been into the MCC and don't want to. Being bound to the conservative rules of wearing a collared shirt puts me off. Plus, it tends to be the only drawcard for fair-weather supporters to actually attend games (and for those who feign support out of fear of being an outcast in their friendship groups).We make noise, don't worry!!

But the MCC appear to be very vocal from my vantage point in the Olympic Stand.

Have been a MCC and MFC full member for 30 years. I prefer to sit in the MCC and have taken my kids since they were knee high to grasshopers

Did go with a few mates to the outer and was grateful that the kids weren't with me. The drunken thugs and the foul language would put me off going to the footy. I am not a toff or a rich man and have stood in the outer at Vic Park,glenferrie oval,Windy hill. But these days I am disappointed with the general public's attitude and hostility at the footy.

Guest José Mourinho

I've never had a problem mixing with the common man Joe, I'm down to earth and I get nothing but respect from my fellow cretins. Us common folk can be civilized too Joe, may I suggest perhaps it is you that rub people the wrong way and perhaps your problem that you don't get respect.

I feel you may put people off-side with your elitist attitude and your bowler hat and monocle?

I'm a common man myself. Just lucky enough to have MCC membership.

How can I rub someone up the wrong way, just by being there in the crowd to support my team?

The behaviour isn't directed at me personally, so it does not reflect on me at all.

Your view of me is quite amusing though.

I am personally in two minds about the MCC.

For one, I'd personally love to be a member (I'm a full AFL Member with Melbourne club support). Yes, admittedly, that want to be an MCC member is driven by a want to be part of that "elitist" culture. I'm not afraid to admit that.

However, I do wish there was a better association with the club, in that MCC membership could somehow be better incorporated into Melbourne's membership figures and coffers, like with AFL membership. I understand there have been improvements in this regard, but I'd personally like to see a better fusion of the MCC and Melbourne club members.

I am not against the idea of having a "prestigious, elitist" aspect of club support, as long as there is a good balance. Unfortuantely, I don't think Melbourne has that balance, at least not in the same capacity as teams like Essendon and Collingwood, who have high MCC supporter figures, but also plenty of "common man" supporters. It's not secret that Melbourne supporters sit on the Olympic side of the MCG, and this has certainly helped mould the "elitist supporters" stereotype which has ironically been formed into a derogatory status rather than one of prestige.

The club should look to clubs like Chelsea in the PL to see how it incorporates its "elitist" supporter group into its more casual supporter base. I certainly think the club needs to be more accepting. I think it's trying to be (McLardy said this recently. That the club is trying to drop that "elitist" stereotype in an effort to be more accepting).

I believe the MCC has agreater proportion of Collngwd members than Melbourne supporters. I think I have read that they have only a minority of MFC members and they would probably contain similar proportions of all clubs supporters as the general population.

Its the same thing when you go to the snow, There are as more other teams scarves on display than there are Melbourne but we will always be disparaged as snow bunnies. (I have indicated to the club that we should leverage of this perception and try and attract the snow crowd to join us)

I wear my colours and my allegiance proudly wherever I am and I respect any supporter for any other club who does the same.

I have always welcomed the passion and the banter that support generates.

I know that I have heard comments within and outside the MCC Members that are considered foul or unwholsome. I try to treat them all with a grain of compassion and know that I have made comments that have been perceived as foul .

I always try to think of context and recall to others that often foul language or inappropriate behaviour is a consequence of frustration and is unintended Its why an apology is often the best course of action

With regard to foul language I often remind people of the context and intent There is no better example than the word bugger

I think Ill bugger off now.

Joe felt uncomfortable being amoungst the common man- their loud mouths and unwashed ways was a turn off. Joe swifty returned to the safety of the MCC, where his barret wearing friends were eating watercrest sandwhiches and proclaiming "nice goal number 11" followed up by a subdued round of applause and a sip of his English Breakfast twinnings.

I've never had a problem mixing with the common man Joe, I'm down to earth and I get nothing but respect from my fellow cretins. Us common folk can be civilized too Joe, may I suggest perhaps it is you that rub people the wrong way and perhaps your problem that you don't get respect.

I feel you may put people off-side with your elitist attitude and your bowler hat and monocle?

You're an idiot. Do you realise the irony/hypocrisy of criticising MCC members for being classist or elitist whilst you stereotype us and do the same thing back?

You obviously haven't been around MCC members much, as you are completely wrong in your analysis. The fact that some MCC members are polite, and not boorish and rude, does not make them any less avid supporters of the MFC than you, or anyone else.

There is no correct way to support a club. There are certain times when I cringe and some of the things MCC members say about our players (e.g. constantly imploring a player to 'KICK IT' when there's no one to kick it to), but that doesn't make them worse than those who sit in general admission and have 'loud mouths'.

• Like 2

Guest José Mourinho

You're an idiot. Do you realise the irony/hypocrisy of criticising MCC members for being classist or elitist whilst you stereotype us and do the same thing back?

You obviously haven't been around MCC members much, as you are completely wrong in your analysis. The fact that some MCC members are polite, and not boorish and rude, does not make them any less avid supporters of the MFC than you, or anyone else.

There is no correct way to support a club. There are certain times when I cringe and some of the things MCC members say about our players (e.g. constantly imploring a player to 'KICK IT' when there's no one to kick it to), but that doesn't make them worse than those who sit in general admission and have 'loud mouths'.

All you say is true, but I think the MCG staff police the loutish behaviour a lot better in the MCC, and I prefer that environment for watching the football.

Looks like Titan uses high horses for things other than polo. Stay out of it muppet- I wasn't generalizing. Joe's had this coming as all he has done in his short demonland posting career is talk down to all and sundrie.

Guest José Mourinho

I believe the MCC has agreater proportion of Collngwd members than Melbourne supporters. I think I have read that they have only a minority of MFC members and they would probably contain similar proportions of all clubs supporters as the general population.

Its the same thing when you go to the snow, There are as more other teams scarves on display than there are Melbourne but we will always be disparaged as snow bunnies. (I have indicated to the club that we should leverage of this perception and try and attract the snow crowd to join us)

I wear my colours and my allegiance proudly wherever I am and I respect any supporter for any other club who does the same.

I have always welcomed the passion and the banter that support generates.

I know that I have heard comments within and outside the MCC Members that are considered foul or unwholsome. I try to treat them all with a grain of compassion and know that I have made comments that have been perceived as foul .

I always try to think of context and recall to others that often foul language or inappropriate behaviour is a consequence of frustration and is unintended Its why an apology is often the best course of action

With regard to foul language I often remind people of the context and intent There is no better example than the word bugger

I think Ill bugger off now.

For me it's not just the idea of foul language or comments that I find offensive.

I swear like a sailor.

It's the antagonistic nature of comments that gets me.

It detracts and distracts from the spectacle.

Guest José Mourinho

Looks like Titan uses high horses for things other than polo. Stay out of it muppet- I wasn't generalizing. Joe's had this coming as all he has done in his short demonland posting career is talk down to all and sundrie.

?

Who am I talking down to?

I've only said that antagonistic behaviour is more prevalent in GA - do you disagree?

Am I not allowed to have a preference?

For me it's not just the idea of foul language or comments that I find offensive.

I swear like a sailor.

It's the antagonistic nature of comments that gets me.

It detracts and distracts from the spectacle.

Dont go to the Barry Prendegast thread then!!
  • Like 1

MCC Member / MFC Trident member

But there is a point here - Hawthorn are the suburb and the Glenferrie Oval (I know they're at Waverly)

Carlton and paper bags full of money and Lygon St

Collingwood are, ... well... hard to describe; but, as said above, large proportion of MCC is Collingwood

Essendon - god help us

Who <are> we? Are we the Football Club of the MCC (haven't been for 40 years); are we a blue collar club - nope, are we Collins St - nope?

I think this is a bit to do with those who cry "culture" - not sure how to identify it, but I agree with them!!

Go Dees - off the pack the Patterson's party pies and sausage rolls, catch the train in and YELL!

(well, Patterson's are out of business - tragedy :( )

Edit: spelling

Edited by frankie_d

If all our supporters in the MCC and AFL members who don't buy MFC memberships (not the $50 donation type) spent that money on MFC memberships the club would be in a much stronger position. My family used to be AFL Gold Members and are now Tridents members. The way the AFL treats us I couldn't support them anymore than I had to. If those in the MCC had the same thinking we would easily have 40K members and would be an extra few million dollars a year better off.

I think you have an outdated perception Gonzo. MCC members are great contributors the MFC.

You are generalizing to blame MCC members for the MFC not having 50k members.

I hope opposition supporters don't read this thread, all it does is reinforce their opinion of how smug and elitist some of us are.

I believe either side of the fence you can get equally ignorant people. Where ever their are people and alcohol often there are problems regardless of money either side may or may not have.

I have seen many fights/ignorance/ejections both in MCC and outside in the public.

I've never been into the MCC and don't want to. Being bound to the conservative rules of wearing a collared shirt puts me off. Plus, it tends to be the only drawcard for fair-weather supporters to actually attend games (and for those who feign support out of fear of being an outcast in their friendship groups).

lol

WTF?

Ok, the figures from about a year ago were 85k MCC members and about 23k MFC supporters were among them.

Still the most, but nothing like it used to be. Although watch them come out of the woodwork when we start winning...

I am personally in two minds about the MCC.

For one, I'd personally love to be a member (I'm a full AFL Member with Melbourne club support). Yes, admittedly, that want to be an MCC member is driven by a want to be part of that "elitist" culture. I'm not afraid to admit that.

The only people who think the MCC has an elitist culture are the sad people who want to be in it but aren't. There is no the remotest thing elitist about it.

Its simply a good place to watch football and doesn't have mindless swearing or drunken violence because you lose your membership. And if you want to wait another 27 years they 'might' let you back in.

• Like 3

I think you have an outdated perception Gonzo. MCC members are great contributors the MFC.

You are generalizing to blame MCC members for the MFC not having 50k members.

How is it outdated? I understand "some" MCC members (& AFL members) are great contributors to the MFC. However there is also a fair number (I'll say 50% conservatively) who only can afford one membership and so only go with the MCC/AFL Membership. That's at least 11K MCC members - if these guys bought the top level MFC memberships instead of exclusively buying MCC memberships then we would have at least 40K members (I did say 40K not 50K) and at least an extra couple of million in the bank.

Are you sure?

I've never been into the MCC and don't want to. Being bound to the conservative rules of wearing a collared shirt puts me off. Plus, it tends to be the only drawcard for fair-weather supporters to actually attend games (and for those who feign support out of fear of being an outcast in their friendship groups).

But the MCC appear to be very vocal from my vantage point in the Olympic Stand.

Trust me. I get looks either way I sit, but I get told to shut up in the MCC whereas in GA I get quality loud banter replies. Prefer GA all the way.

'Stay out of it'? This isn't a private conversation. If you want to post ridiculous things in public, be prepared for people to question your opinions.

As it is, you have no idea what you're talking about. You were clearly generalising. I don't care if 'Joe' has had this coming. You're wrong.

The only people who think the MCC has an elitist culture are the sad people who want to be in it but aren't. There is no the remotest thing elitist about it.

Its simply a good place to watch football and doesn't have mindless swearing or drunken violence because you lose your membership. And if you want to wait another 27 years they 'might' let you back in.

Good post.

• Like 1

So it's an elitist environment...

• Like 1

So it's an elitist environment...

So not tolerating bad behaviour is acting 'elitest' in your opinion?

Edited by DavidNeitz9