Head high tackles...."drawing frees"

The AFL should be very wary of the ever- increasing tendency of players deliberately entering contests head first. The umpires , with the misguided intention of protecting the head, award the free against the "tackler"who sometimes is stationary, with his hands well clear of the player diving at him. Superficially, this appears to be protecting the head, but the ultimate result is that it encourages players to dive in head first to "draw " frees(I can't stand that basketball terminology).

If this naive interpretation of the laws continues, I foresee that another Sachse- like horrific spinal injury is likely to happen. In my opinion Gieschen and his co-horts could be legally liable.

Likely victims are the fearless players like Selwood, who are prepared to have their head crashed if it means earning a free.

Paradoxically, the Umpires will offer more protection to players by NOT paying frees to players who dive head first into the knees of their opponents.

They could potentially introduce a penalty for staging free kicks. For example, in the NHL, if a player attempts to draw a penalty for tripping by 'diving' after contact with the opposition, they are subject to a 2 minute stint in the penalty box. If they are a repeat offender, the incidents are reviewed by the league and appropriate suspensions are given out.

They could potentially introduce a penalty for staging free kicks. For example, in the NHL, if a player attempts to draw a penalty for tripping by 'diving' after contact with the opposition, they are subject to a 2 minute stint in the penalty box. If they are a repeat offender, the incidents are reviewed by the league and appropriate suspensions are given out.

Diving in head first to "draw the foul" is a bit different to staging for free kicks.Going in fearlessly is rightly perceived as laudable, whereas staging for frees is the other end of the spectrum .

However I see your inference that it might be more proactive to actually penalise the diver,though obviously it couldn't be with a "sin-bin" with our current laws. Perhaps there should be a free against the diver for dangerous play, even though the danger is to himself.

Diving in head first to "draw the foul" is a bit different to staging for free kicks.Going in fearlessly is rightly perceived as laudable, whereas staging for frees is the other end of the spectrum .

However I see your inference that it might be more proactive to actually penalise the diver,though obviously it couldn't be with a "sin-bin" with our current laws. Perhaps there should be a free against the diver for dangerous play, even though the danger is to himself.

I do agree with you, and while I think there will always be a grey area as to what constitutes a staging a free kick and what doesn't, I think that there should be some sort of repercussion for players who approach the game recklessly. A possible option is for a MRP to review games and warn players who are going in head first with the intent of earning a free kick that if they continue to do so they will be subject to a fine/suspension. They can have a 3 strike system where the first two times is a warning, and the third is a fine. After the third time the fine would increase, suspensions would be handed out, or both.

Soccer introduced the staging for penalties yellow card.

I really believe the players who drop down to draw the free should not be rewarded and penalised as its dangerous and spoiling the game.

Add the stupid 50 mt penalty for interchange infringement which is an automatic goal in most cases.

Add a penalty for players dragging the ball under a player on the ground or holding it in to get the free.

All spoiling the game.

• Like 2

Soccer introduced the staging for penalties yellow card.

I really believe the players who drop down to draw the free should not be rewarded and penalised as its dangerous and spoiling the game.

Add the stupid 50 mt penalty for interchange infringement which is an automatic goal in most cases.

Add a penalty for players dragging the ball under a player on the ground or holding it in to get the free.

All spoiling the game.

I'm with you all the way. Very thoughtful and sensible rule changes indeed.

• Like 1

What about the guy who dives on the ball and in the same motion takes out the legs of a player going for the ball - The Hawks were masters of that a couple of years ago. IN many cases the player falls on the first player and receives a free for in the back.

Another professional free that should be outlawed.

I'm pretty sure the AFL has already introduced rules against staging for frees and also for diving into a stationary tackler. Sadly, none of the umpires (whether on their own initiative or at the instruction of the Geisch) have had the balls to make use of them and make the call. If I recall the penalty for staging for a free is a two match suspension, while if a player lowers the head and rams a stationary player it is supposed to be a play on call (personally I think it should be reported as a deliberate head-butt).

Thinking about it, did the suspension for taking a dive ever get enacted or was it only ever talked about?

I'm pretty sure the AFL has already introduced rules against staging for frees and also for diving into a stationary tackler. Sadly, none of the umpires (whether on their own initiative or at the instruction of the Geisch) have had the balls to make use of them and make the call. If I recall the penalty for staging for a free is a two match suspension, while if a player lowers the head and rams a stationary player it is supposed to be a play on call (personally I think it should be reported as a deliberate head-butt).

Thinking about it, did the suspension for taking a dive ever get enacted or was it only ever talked about?

Yes it was enacted but No-one has EVER been charged with staging let alone suspended.

Another p***weak rule of the week.

I'm pretty sure the AFL has already introduced rules against staging for frees and also for diving into a stationary tackler. Sadly, none of the umpires (whether on their own initiative or at the instruction of the Geisch) have had the balls to make use of them and make the call. If I recall the penalty for staging for a free is a two match suspension, while if a player lowers the head and rams a stationary player it is supposed to be a play on call (personally I think it should be reported as a deliberate head-

I am more worried about the likelihood of tragic injury to the diver than arguing about the reprehensible habit of staging for frees.

If players are rewarded by umpires for diving head first into opponents' legs, they will continue to do it more and more.

Another injury like Neil Sachse's would not only be a catastrophe for the individual involved, and the innocent player whose legs break the neck, but would be a huge setback for the development of Australian football.

Gieschen must be aware of this and direct his staff accordingly.

I'm interested that very few Demonlandrs think this is worth consideration.

Maybe many just agree.

A free against the diver for dangerous play, and possibly a referral to the MRP as well would reduce this significantly.

And I would extend that to "the Selwood drop" as well.

And, yes, the "staging" suspension was brought in but hasn't ever been used. Probably waiting for that long awaited day that MFC reach and win a PF - then some poor bugger will be "made an example"!!

• Like 1

I recall some discussion of this by the AFL during the off season. There was a bit of footage shown of leg injuries caused by players diving at the ball at a full sprint and crashing through the man who stayed on his feet. Obviously they also talked about the increased likelihood of head/spine injuries. I would guess that it is a situation they are monitoring but (oddly enough) are reluctant to legislate over too quickly.

• Like 1

The Selwood drop is so fustrating. Ashton Hams at West Coast is the new master of it. Shame that no one can fix in the old fashion way which would be in a bloke kept ducking to swing a nice arm through and break his jaw.

• 4 weeks later...

I think 2 different matters a being confused here.

I am referring to the tactic of the player in possession diving head first into the opponent's body, in the hope of being awarded a free for a head high tackle.

This is being confused with the far less dangerous, and more difficult to adjudicate, skill, of dropping the body when tackled so that the tacklers arms touch the shoulders, resulting in a free.

It is the former tactic(diving head first) that MUST be stamped out as a matter of urgency. I have heard several experts in the media( esp. Roos) discussing this and suggesting that the umps should be aware and not pay frees against the "tackler"for this.

I think a much more proactive attitude should be taken. The "diver" should be penalized, for dangerous play( even though the danger is to himself).

I'm really worried someone's going to break their neck if something's not done quickly.

• Like 1

I agree - the "Selwood Slide" is gamesmanship, bordering on cheating, but the head first dive into an opponent's body, or worse his legs, is just foolhardy and reckless, and should be penalised but I am not sure under which current rule.