• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Requiem for a Team

Johnny Karate

The last time Melbourne’s win-loss ratio was in the positive after round 22 was at the end of the 2006 season.

In what had become a typical scenario under Neale Daniher, the club limped into the finals, blowing a top four chance with a generally pathetic last seven games for the third season in succession.

The season had started poorly with the Dees sitting winless after three rounds, but they recovered after a gutsy win over reigning premier Sydney to sit 3rd on the ladder at round 15 before the aforementioned slump.

In 121 matches since, the club;

• has won just 31 matches
  • had 5 senior coaches
  • 3 Presidents
  • 4 CEO’s
  • 75 players represent the club
  • 37 debutants

Needless to say, there has been mass upheaval at the MFC and ultimately failure has been the outcome. The performance of the team and the misery heaped on the club by the AFL’s 24 hour news circle jerk media has been a major source of pain for all Demons’ fans.

This has lead to a lot of revisionist history in the media and on fan forums. Melbourne’s drafting, list management, player development, coaching, culture, sponsorship and administration have all been pawed over.

A lot of blame has been pointed at past leaders, boards, recruiters, coaches, and their management strategies.

Melbourne fans are right to be angry with the lack of competitiveness of the team and the media do have every right to criticise the club where fit. However, it is ultimately up to the playing group on match day to represent the club and therefore how it is perceived.

It is understandable that a team which has had virtually 3 teams worth of players (1 and a half worth of debutants) in the past five and a bit years has lost more than it has won. However, what would infuriate fans en masse (no matter their expectations of the team) is that there hasn’t appeared to be a set of team non negotiable behaviours at the club.

How many times under a high ball will two or more Melbourne players jump all over one another whilst the staying down, unopposed opposition player sharks it?

How many times do Melbourne players get caught or turn over the ball because their team mates are flat footed, not shepherding/blocking, not running to be an option?

How many times do Melbourne players stand with their hands on their hips, heads bowed after the opposition gets a run on?

Negative body language, a lack of communication and lack of care for each other have been hallmarks of Melbourne’s game for far too long. It is the reason Daniher’s teams didn’t cause damage in September and it is why there are blowouts such as last weekend.

While the team will surely improve with more experience and the cyclical nature will drag other teams down, Melbourne will never be much more than mediocre and the fan base never ultimately satisfied if the playing group doesn’t zealously adopt a team first intensity and attitude.

The game plan, coaching, recruiting, player development, administration and past actions taken by the club are all essentially moot points until a future MFC playing group commits to some very basic non negotiables:

1. CHIN UP – No negative body language, hands on hips etc
  2. CARE & COMMIT – protect and support your team mates, shepherd, block, tackle, chase, honour leads, never back down.
  3. DEMAND THE FOOTBALL – whether committing to a contest or running to be an option
  4. TRY, TRY AGAIN – if the opposition gets a run on lift your workrate
  5. RINSE AND REPEAT – week after week, season after season.

Thoughts? Flames?

• Like 6

Guest Dr Who

Ok so the fans can go first -

Lets make it a two way commitment - What are the fans very basic non negotiables:

1. CHIN UP – No negative criticism (positive discussion more than welcome)
  2. CARE & COMMIT – protect and support your team at all times in public domain
  3. DEMAND THE FOOTBALL – game day we must turn up

Just a thought - if we all "buy in" FIRST we will get somewhere.

31 victories since 2006....121 games.

I need a drink.

I paid my membership early through all those years....

That's 90 losses since we beat the Aints...

And to think the first time I actually bought a membership was 2010. After all this.

(blame my father, I didn't have much of a disposable income til then)

31 victories since 2006....121 games.

I need a drink.

I paid my membership early through all those years....

That's 90 losses since we beat the Aints...

I should've been more specific. Since round 15 2006

121 games 31 wins, 88 losses and 3 draws

2006 R16 - Semi Final

9 matches - 3 wins 5 losses 1 draw

22 - 5w - 17l

22 - 3-19

22 - 4-18

22 - 8-13-1

22 - 8-13-1

2 - 0-2

I should've been more specific. Since round 15 2006

121 games 31 wins, 88 losses and 3 draws

2006 R16 - Semi Final

9 matches - 3 wins 5 losses 1 draw

22 - 5w - 17l

22 - 3-19

22 - 4-18

22 - 8-13-1

22 - 8-13-1

2 - 0-2

you were specific enough mate, don't worry!!

Horrible reading...& people call some of us impatient...

• Like 1

you were specific enough mate, don't worry!!

Horrible reading...& people call some of us impatient...

You and I and many others have seen worse , Wyl .

1977 - 1981

22 wins , 88 losses .

Those were the days !

Cheers

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

Negative body language, a lack of communication and lack of care for each other have been hallmarks of Melbourne’s game for far too long. It is the reason Daniher’s teams didn’t cause damage in September.

6 final series in ten years with the lack of cash, fascilities and political situation he had to face was agreat effort. Imagine what he could have done with the support provided in the last 2-3 years.

The last time Melbourne’s win-loss ratio was in the positive after round 22 was at the end of the 2006 season.

In what had become a typical scenario under Neale Daniher, the club limped into the finals, blowing a top four chance with a generally pathetic last seven games for the third season in succession.

Give me ND's record anyday compared to what we have had to put up with since..

• Like 1

Ok so the fans can go first -

Lets make it a two way commitment - What are the fans very basic non negotiables:

1. CHIN UP – No negative criticism (positive discussion more than welcome)
  2. CARE & COMMIT – protect and support your team at all times in public domain
  3. DEMAND THE FOOTBALL – game day we must turn up

Just a thought - if we all "buy in" FIRST we will get somewhere.

I have been doing as you suggest for the last 48 years Dr

And what do I have to show for it?

2 GF appearances for no wins

I will not in the future do No.1

It has achieved bugger all over the years.

The successful clubs do not follow this creed. eg. the Bombers they thought their club stunk a couple of seasons back and said so.

Nett result they now have a good coach and are on the improve.

If we stink I am saying it loud and Clear.

And right now we stink with a capital S

The Bombers didn't seem to have to wait too long for junior players to come on or the team to learn a new game plan either - they hit the ground running and made finals.

I hate the bastards but one thing you can't accuse them of is making excuses for poor performance.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 2

All this just brings visions of Peter Finch in Network !!

For mine each player ought to imagine themseleves beofre a crowd of 50000 members and supporters......all angry...all as mad as hell.. sick and tired of "not goo enough" teams ...all screaming " WE"RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE"

If they cant find it within themselves to initally play well and successfully for al lthe right reasons...then lets start with playig for fear of ridicule and resentment.

I really dont care anymore how or why they ought to or are able to play a winning style, just as long as they find it.

Two games in and already the butt of footy talk.

Geez we're good .

I'm a massive believer of the body language impact. When a player drops their head after giving away a free kick, or their opponent kicking a goal, it spreads like the dreaded, not only within our team, but the opposition see it and feed off it. Happens in all sports at all levels.

This is one area that I am desperate to see our new captains demolish out of our team. This is a great way for them to make an impact, as at this stage in their career, I don't think they have the ability to plonk themselves in the centre square and chage the game (it will come).

Between the new coach/FD, and the new skippers/leadership group, it is vital that these parties change the culture of the Melbourne Football Club. This will not happen overnight, and it will most likely require the whole thing to be broken down, with each part being work on individually. I believe this would be the best place for the two Jack's to start at, as it's not a massive change (not for most players at least), and it will be quite evident on match day or during match reviews.

But, like all things when trying to change a culture, those that are driving it MUST lead by example.

• Like 1

I started this thread not to bag out anyone's legacy be it Bailey, Daniher, Prendergast etc. There are plenty of other threads for that. Everyone is obviously free to their opinion and therefore the thread will run it's own course.

What was suggesting is until the players start to work as a team at a very basic level, we will never win a premiership when we have some talent nor be anything more than embarrassing when we suck.

Thanks for your contribution billy ;-)

Edited by Jimmi C

I'm a massive believer of the body language impact. When a player drops their head after giving away a free kick, or their opponent kicking a goal, it spreads like the dreaded, not only within our team, but the opposition see it and feed off it. Happens in all sports at all levels.

I'll just take that bit...sums it up ,unfortunately. Much can be a game of inches not yards. That is to say there often is not so much seperating sides as scoreboards suggest . Its really whats between the ears.

Im just not seeing a healthy attitude out there. What ever it is that Neeld and co are trying to educate and implement you just doent get the feeling theplayers ( in the main ) get it... and as 2803 alludes, the opposition not only sense it but feed off of it.

Were not incapable of good football. Were just weak. Pitiful isnt it.

Jimmi...in really simplistic terms it all come down TO the players. The coach doesnt play the game, the FD arent out there, the Board isnt out there, the sponsors arent nor are we. Its just the players on the day.

Its so reminiscent of you can bring a horse to water , but cant make it drink. it has to want to.

Whats wrong with our lot that they dont really seem to want anything.

The Bombers didn't seem to have to wait too long for junior players to come on or the team to learn a new game plan either - they hit the ground running and made finals.

I hate the bastards but one thing you can't accuse them of is making excuses for poor performance.

Sorry to harp but where exactly in our team is the Fletchers,Hills, Watsons and McVeighs to lead the way and help our juniors develop. It is not an excuse - just an observation as to why our job is so much harder.

Guest Dr Who

I have been doing as you suggest for the last 48 years Dr

And what do I have to show for it?

2 GF appearances for no wins

I will not in the future do No.1

It has achieved bugger all over the years.

The successful clubs do not follow this creed. eg. the Bombers they thought their club stunk a couple of seasons back and said so.

Nett result they now have a good coach and are on the improve.

If we stink I am saying it loud and Clear.

And right now we stink with a capital S

Mate with all due respect - you dont get past point 1 - you should read what you write. Your negativity is laughable.

Your Essendon comment is rubbish - "they wanted one/two/three of their own" Knights had got them into the finals in 2009 yeah they were going "crap" according to you. Hence they got Hird Bomber & Wellman! They got their own - always good for membership sales.

Stop talking rubbish

Edited by Dr Who

Sorry to harp but where exactly in our team is the Fletchers,Hills, Watsons and McVeighs to lead the way and help our juniors develop. It is not an excuse - just an observation as to why our job is so much harder.

I don't think those players are much better than our equivalents.

• Like 1

This is one area that I am desperate to see our new captains demolish out of our team. This is a great way for them to make an impact, as at this stage in their career, I don't think they have the ability to plonk themselves in the centre square and chage the game (it will come).

Between the new coach/FD, and the new skippers/leadership group, it is vital that these parties change the culture of the Melbourne Football Club. This will not happen overnight, and it will most likely require the whole thing to be broken down, with each part being work on individually. I believe this would be the best place for the two Jack's to start at, as it's not a massive change (not for most players at least), and it will be quite evident on match day or during match reviews.

But, like all things when trying to change a culture, those that are driving it MUST lead by example.

Agree 100% and whilst I wont single out players,there are times in football matches where the relatively simple execution or decision making skills are butchered at defining moments and we have some repeat offenders in our team. We need two things - we need to have a stronger culture that no matter how hard it gets you dont drop your head. We also need to weed out footballers who continually make you want to drop your head through their game altering misdeeds.

Mate with all due respect - you dont get past point 1 - you should read what you write. Your negativity is laughable.

Your Essendon comment is rubbish - "they wanted one/two/three of their own" Knights had got them into the finals in 2009 yeah they were going "crap" according to you. Hence they got Hird Bomber & Wellman! They got their own - always good for membership sales.

Stop talking rubbish

with all due respect Who I think youve failed to grasp the simplicity of what OLD is getting at. . The "ideals" you speak of in your mini manifesto have been trotted out year in year out . To what avail. NADA...grand achievements...absolutely NOTHING

What you seem to be suggesting is text book Ra-Ra... go get em , stiif upper lip , come on chaps we can do it !!! I mean really. ..and further more we as supporters are supposed to clapand cheer and back emup relentlessly and unquestioningly so.

Well..I know 2 people sick to death of that hey OLD !!

I don't think those players are much better than our equivalents.

sorry Billy...who would they be ?

We have been a mess. We have recruited players to play an outdated game plan, played that game plan and did so rudderless without leadership and without demanding the excellence required.

And don't get me started on the whole "getting games into young players at all costs" mantra.

That's it in a nutshell. We know what's wrong, it's fairly plain, it's not rocket science.

I honestly believe that we have the best coach we could possible to fix this mess. Unfortunately as we have been told before it will take time and there will be casualties.

Edited by dandeeman