Footy's a funny game.

Bobby McKenzie

Cheer up all you sad sacks! Gee, at times I wonder if half of this forum are funeral directors or mortuary workers. Hark back to the year 2000. June 3 in fact. Carlton 25.9 def Melbourne 9.7 by 98 points. Similar scoreline to yesterday? The next week, Melbourne 22.11 def Collingwood 12.6 by 65 points.

We make the finals and play Carlton again in a Qualifying final. Thanks to the heroic efforts of youngsters Green and Bruce in the last quarter we win by 9 points, a 107 point turnaround! Yep, Footy is a funny game. So much luck involved bounce of the ball, umpiring decisions etc etc. Let's look forward to the game against Richmond next week. Who knows what can happen? I reckon though, I can hear some of you saying,"Bobby's found his rose coloured glasses again."

• Like 1

Cheer up all you sad sacks! Gee, at times I wonder if half of this forum are funeral directors or mortuary workers. Hark back to the year 2000. June 3 in fact. Carlton 25.9 def Melbourne 9.7 by 98 points. Similar scoreline to yesterday? The next week, Melbourne 22.11 def Collingwood 12.6 by 65 points.

We make the finals and play Carlton again in a Qualifying final. Thanks to the heroic efforts of youngsters Green and Bruce in the last quarter we win by 9 points, a 107 point turnaround! Yep, Footy is a funny game. So much luck involved bounce of the ball, umpiring decisions etc etc. Let's look forward to the game against Richmond next week. Who knows what can happen? I reckon though, I can hear some of you saying,"Bobby's found his rose coloured glasses again."

Yes.....but.

The game has really evolved since 2000 and we just don't have the cattle to effect such a turnaround, notwithstanding the fact that the spirit and camaraderie is not there.

Edited by jumbo returns

Hark back to the year 2000? What 12 years ago? I don't see any point.

We dees supporters have far too few moments to hang our hats on. I hear people reminisce about the swans game, the Brisbane game (the Wonna's dad one) and the Fremantle game where we came back from 50 odd points down.

I can't take solace in games that are in the past anymore. History has made them irrelevant. Other clubs don't harp on about year's prior performances, they are forgotten as time rolls on- as they should be.

people just need some real home truths here.. we are seriously [censored]! we have gone backwards and thats it. im still gonna be a strong supporter of the club but in reality we are tripe.

that is all.

Sorry, but yesterday does not pay the bills or secure a sponsor.

The MFC talks about its past far too much. Oh i forgot...that is all we have.

Here lies a large portion of our problems.

We belong in the Amatuer period of the VFL.

We have not fired a shot since.

people just need some real home truths here.. we are seriously [censored]! we have gone backwards and thats it. im still gonna be a strong supporter of the club but in reality we are tripe.

that is all.

I think everyone understands the full reality of our situation... But FFS this is the only thread which is trying to be optimistic and I don't think posts like this belong here.

Sure I'm expecting someone to say something like I'm delusional or I'm sticking my head in the sand but seriously I'm sick of logging on with the world is coming to an end, or I'm going to burn my membership in every thread

We all watched the game, we all watched the past week but let's just keep the pessimistic comments to a minimum here please

• Like 1

Footy's a funny game.

That must be why there is so much laughter on this site :-(

Guest Checker

I think everyone understands the full reality of our situation... But FFS this is the only thread which is trying to be optimistic and I don't think posts like this belong here.

Sure I'm expecting someone to say something like I'm delusional or I'm sticking my head in the sand but seriously I'm sick of logging on with the world is coming to an end, or I'm going to burn my membership in every thread

We all watched the game, we all watched the past week but let's just keep the pessimistic comments to a minimum here please

Great post, couldn't agree more

• Like 1

Pessimism is far more realistic than optimism when you follow Melbourne .

Pessimism is far more realistic than optimism when you follow Melbourne .

You mean easier.

I'm as much of a culprit as anyone, but at the end of the day you dust yourself off and prepare for next week. Which is winnable.

I will give you some positives: we have a big 24 year old forward who can kick a bag, we have a hardworking grunt to applaud (with another on the way), Jones continues his slow and steady progress, and there is a chance for the rest to redeem themselves next week.

• Like 1