Outrageous!!!

Don't think you are being a bit over protective?

Ha ha! I hadn't thought of it like that, I just get bored of knee jerk reactions from certain sections of the media - both good and bad. I get the fact that he was a #1 pick and the baggage that comes with that. Time will tell if he fulfills expectations but, in the meantime, I think he deserves his chance to develop properly and not have his career judged from game to game.

IMO dee-luded you are seeing what you want to see - we are discussing No.1 picks - Gibbs is a very good player ( I hope watts get that good) - Kruezer is better than you suggest - Swallow has showed more in his first year than Watts did in his first two years. the above is the opinion of the football community not just my opinion The rest were not No.1 picks so not part of the discussion

Gibbs took a couple of years to get going - so your assessment he was excellent from the get go is wrong

Kreuzer has shown glimpses - and been injured - so it's difficult to assess. Also, Kruezer was drafted as a man mountain - Watts was drafted as a 17 year old skinny school kid - this makes an enormous difference when looking at KP prospects

It's popular to get stuck into Watts - a blonde haired private school kid, drafted to a club seen as toffee nosed elitists

You could immediately see how the collingwood players attacked him as soon as he came onto the ground

Watts should never have played that year - it served no real purpose other than to make him cannon fodder for the masses who like to attack

Reality is - with his age at draft time, with his body type, with his previous experience, Watts needs time. He won't start hitting his straps until he is 23 - 24

People need to accept that

He took huge steps last year, anyone who fails to recognise that doesn't know football, he will continue to take steps

• Like 3

No more excuses for Jack. Regardless of where he was picked his performance on the weekend was substandard. That was clear to me at the ground and was clearly commented on by three separate media commentators on three seperate media outlets. Does it deserve the attention it got absolutely not but no more excuses. He needs to work harder when the opposition have the ball and demand the ball when we have it. If he cant do that then he should work on these aspects at Casey like any other 20 year old key position play would. I look forward to seeing how he responds over the coming weeks.

No more excuses for Jack. Regardless of where he was picked his performance on the weekend was substandard. That was clear to me at the ground and was clearly commented on by three separate media commentators on three seperate media outlets. Does it deserve the attention it got absolutely not but no more excuses. He needs to work harder when the opposition have the ball and demand the ball when we have it. If he cant do that then he should work on these aspects at Casey like any other 20 year old key position play would. I look forward to seeing how he responds over the coming weeks.

So, no more excuses for a performance that shouldn't have been highlighted the way it was?

Every poor effort by Jack, no matter how infrequent, is highlighted by the same 'noise makers.'

I am sick of the excuses, we need to expect more from our journalists...

• Like 1

Gibbs took a couple of years to get going - so your assessment he was excellent from the get go is wrong

Kreuzer has shown glimpses - and been injured - so it's difficult to assess. Also, Kruezer was drafted as a man mountain - Watts was drafted as a 17 year old skinny school kid - this makes an enormous difference when looking at KP prospects

It's popular to get stuck into Watts - a blonde haired private school kid, drafted to a club seen as toffee nosed elitists

You could immediately see how the collingwood players attacked him as soon as he came onto the ground

Watts should never have played that year - it served no real purpose other than to make him cannon fodder for the masses who like to attack

Reality is - with his age at draft time, with his body type, with his previous experience, Watts needs time. He won't start hitting his straps until he is 23 - 24

He took huge steps last year, anyone who fails to recognise that doesn't know football, he will continue to take steps

This is exactly it. Bear in mind, Watts is only 6 weeks older than Scully, and he, to this point, has also shown only glimpses of what he is capable of. Scully also came through the TAC cup system, whereas, as Neeld pointed out yesterday, Watts was only playing private school footy.

Also, once he gets some experience as a key forward, as opposed to the 'experiments' last year where he was used on a wing or as the loose man behind the ball, (since everyone in the media seem to judge him on key forward attributes/performances) I'm sure he will improve as we all want. This is why the Clark trade is possibly the equivalent of our Judd at Carlton (but obviously not anywhere near the talent gain), taking the heat off our #1 pick, to allow him to develop without the attention of the #1 opposition defender.

Yes the private school footy system is not up to the standard of TAC. Plus Jack was thrown to the wolves in 2009. Heard Neeld speak of this on MMM. He is well aware of the situ.

20 year old with 40 games.

The kid is learning a completely new structure from a new harder bunch of coaches. He will get there

How many goal assists Jack is involved in this year will be a good stat. He is not the numero uno target anymore.

• Like 1

If you want to mirror Watts progress I think of Josh Kennedy , now at the eagles, as a good model - drafted number 4 as a key forward. He was one year older than Watts when drafted ( and Watts first year was a nonsense as others have pointed out) .

First three years netted a total of 18 goals.

It took Kennedy until year 4 until he started to make a real impact - in fact his second year he played 13 games for 6 goals and in year 4 - 16 games for 31 goals.

• Like 3

To get an idea of how Jack is taking all this spotlight stuff, watch the interview on the MFC site recorded after all the media spray. He is naturally a laconic sort of guy and this comes through in his body language.

But, he believes what the coaches are saying. He "listens" to them - not MM, WC etc..Although I am sure some of it sticks.

This is not to say he will be that STAR we all want him to be.

But, as Mark Neeld is fond of saying, "we won't die , not knowing" (if Jack is up to it).

Guest djdemons

By the end of the season we will all be back on here saying how much of a gun Jack Watts is. I guarentee everyone. He will understand the game plan,where to run to and click with M.Clarke by mid season and then watch out defenders.

• Like 1

If you want to mirror Watts progress I think of Josh Kennedy , now at the eagles, as a good model - drafted number 4 as a key forward. He was one year older than Watts when drafted ( and Watts first year was a nonsense as others have pointed out) .

It took Kennedy until year 4 until he started to make a real impact - in fact his second year he played 13 games for 6 goals and in year 4 - 16 games for 31 goals.

It also helped that he had Lynch, McKinley and LeCras as the main forward targets whilst he was developing.

Good post

I wrote my comment based on Apocalypse saying he did not understand the the media gettiong stuck into JW and not other No.1 picks.

I was pointing out that of the last 5 No.1 picks he was one of the poor producers.

I was attempting to explain the medias attitude

Every thing after that is pruely subjective.

You make some good points Viney12

But your line above proves nothing.

Simply because people in the football world have a differing opinion to you does not mean they know nothing about football.

In fact the people currently bringing forward the negative opinions on JW are very knowledgable.

It could be said that your line shows you are just biased.

The media is having a field day criticizing one of our players because he was a number 1 draft pick and he's not starring in matches even though he's only 20 years of age.

Well, at least his team won on the weekend and though his form wasn't great, he at least contributed to his team's effort.

However, there's another number 1 draft pick out there who's running around not doing much for his team even though he's the most highly paid footballer in the country who's poor performances are getting zero attention whatsoever.

Why?

The reason behind this is that Watts is man enough to come out and speak to the media after poor performances. The HS seems to write an article about every single interview, and The Age will write about anything the HS writes about. That's why there are at least 5 articles about Watts receiving a 'spray' from MM and WC. $cumbag does not speak to the media unless he has played well, and as such there are not as many articles written about him.

I wrote my comment based on Apocalypse saying he did not understand the the media gettiong stuck into JW and not other No.1 picks.

I was pointing out that of the last 5 No.1 picks he was one of the poor producers.

Simply because people in the football world have a differing opinion to you does not mean they know nothing about football.

In fact the people currently bringing forward the negative opinions on JW are very knowledgable.

Not really. What you've written is just supportive of the tripe the media is filling their Pages with. Feeding it further.

The truth is Wattsy will be fine, & will take the time he needs.

Maturity with tall footballers is physically first, & the confidance will reflect & follow his strength.

When the confidence shows, it will be reflecting a lot of hard work off field, physically & mentally.

I maybe a little out here but is this the order of No.1 2006 Gibbs Excellent from early days 2007 Kruezer very good from early days 2008 watts poor start average so far 2009 Scully average so far 2010 Swallow looks good but early days So in recent years Watts looks to be behind the last 5 first round picks. That is why he is getting so much press attention Of course the gods are about 2 months away from decending on Scully. By June the press could be saying the MFc wasted 2 No.1 picks. I really hope not.

He is the only KPP amongst that lot (if rucks are not KP's)

He was 17 and still at school.

His first pre-season he was injured.

His second pre-season was really his first.

He has now had 3 pre-seasons and is still 20yo.

The way I read Malthouse and Matthews comments are that his desire or attack on the footy are poor. AS well he positions himself incorrectly.

But we don't know what his coaches re telling him.

It's too early to tell who is right. He has a lot of talent and his brain and disposal are first class.

The reason behind this is that Watts is man enough to come out and speak to the media after poor performances. The HS seems to write an article about every single interview, and The Age will write about anything the HS writes about. That's why there are at least 5 articles about Watts receiving a 'spray' from MM and WC. $cumbag does not speak to the media unless he has played well, and as such there are not as many articles written about him.

GTG Watts gets a lot of attention mainly because he was a No.1

From Day 1 the MFC played up his potential to keep the MFC faithful happy in a very unhappy period.

And surprise surprise the kid has had trouble living up to the hype.

Wether or not he turns out to be a very good player or just an average one time will tell.

One thing is for sure he is steely, not too many could cope with the expectation and constant attention to his every move.

I mainly just feel sorry for him.

There must be easy ways to make your way in the world.

Bias? I didn't say he was a bonafide star

I say he took huge steps last year - and that is fact

See this is the JW cycle - started last season quietly, ever bastard and his dog crucifies him, he starts to show some form, had a purple patch of about 8 - 9 games where he was very good, regularly in our best. starting kicking a few goals, started taking a few good solid grabs, everyone shuts up. Has a poor showing in torrential rain in QLD round 1 of NAB cup - media is all over him - poor in round 2 of nab cup, everyone gets stuck into him again

The people who get stuck into him are the same people who slammed Goddard's output for the 1st 4 - 5 years where he was ordinary, now, he's an utter champion, elite blah blah blah

If by round 10 this year, Jack's not showing anything, criticism will be justified (although still FAR TOO early IMO) but justified somewhat

I'm not bias, but I'm understanding of Jack's situation

Bottom age, under developed, school kid, playing football for Brighton Grammar, training once a week with the club, being developed for a position that is notorious for the players taking some years reach potential

2009 for Watts was a write off - should never have played

2010 it was like a new recruit and he was finding his feet

2011 he took some serious steps to show his ability and improvement

2012 we're 2 rounds into the NAB cup ffs

Like it or not, Watts currently isn't and may never be a pack crasher

that's what people want - well I ask, what's the point throwing a 89kg highly skilled and athletic kid into packs, when he could be at ground level (which IMO is where he does his best work). Lets let him develop his frame before we expecting him to be monstering opposition back lines

Edited by Viney12

Not really. What you've written is just supportive of the tripe the media is filling their Pages with. Feeding it further.

The truth is Wattsy will be fine, & will take the time he needs.

Maturity with tall footballers is physically first, & the confidance will reflect & follow his strength.

When the confidence shows, it will be reflecting a lot of hard work off field, physically & mentally.

The problem with your agruement is you continue to maintain that the people running the negative arguements are Fools or are writing "Tripe".

They may be wrong but you do not prove them wrong by calling them names.

the old "sticks and stone" message applies here.

Bias? I didn't say he was a bonafide star

I say he took huge steps last year - and that is fact

See this is the JW cycle - started last season quietly, ever bastard and his dog crucifies him, he starts to show some form, had a purple patch of about 8 - 9 games where he was very good, regularly in our best. starting kicking a few goals, started taking a few good solid grabs, everyone shuts up. Has a poor showing in torrential rain in QLD round 1 of NAB cup - media is all over him - poor in round 2 of nab cup, everyone gets stuck into him again

The people who get stuck into him are the same people who slammed Goddard's output for the 1st 4 - 5 years where he was ordinary, now, he's an utter champion, elite blah blah blah

If by round 10 this year, Jack's not showing anything, criticism will be justified (although still FAR TOO early IMO) but justified somewhat

I'm not bias, but I'm understanding of Jack's situation

Bottom age, under developed, school kid, playing football for Brighton Grammar, training once a week with the club, being developed for a position that is notorious for the players taking some years reach potential

2009 for Watts was a write off - should never have played

2010 it was like a new recruit and he was finding his feet

2011 he took some serious steps to show his ability and improvement

2012 we're 2 rounds into the NAB cup ffs

Like it or not, Watts currently isn't and may never be a pack crasher

that's what people want - well I ask, what's the point throwing a 89kg highly skilled and athletic kid into packs, when he could be at ground level (which IMO is where he does his best work). Lets let him develop his frame before we expecting him to be monstering opposition back lines

Viney12 I am trying very hard to just put the case that other people not associated with the MFC see.

I was trying to put the case that your line to someone outside the MFC could easily say "he is just biased cannot see the forest for the trees"

"anyone who fails to recognise that doesn't know football"

but you see some of the people making the negative case do know a very lot about football.

I respect their opinions that does mean I have to agree with every thing they say.

But you cannot say they know nothing about football.

Now I have said enough on this subject.

And I do not hate JW or think he a bum.

I hope like hell he turns into the greatest forward the MFc has ever seen.

I think he is a work in progress and it is a couple of years off before we know if he is better than an average footballer.

Jack watts will make all eat there words very soon i have got sick of this the same were saying this last year and then he shut them up halfway through the year but soon he will make them all look like fools. Most of them would open there mouth without knowing he is still only 20 and come from a private school comp and when he does shut them up they will say his looking much better and he is a great pick for melbourne.

Viney12 I am trying very hard to just put the case that other people not associated with the MFC see.

I was trying to put the case that your line to someone outside the MFC could easily say "he is just biased cannot see the forest for the trees"

"anyone who fails to recognise that doesn't know football"

but you see some of the people making the negative case do know a very lot about football.

I respect their opinions that does mean I have to agree with every thing they say.

But you cannot say they know nothing about football.

Now I have said enough on this subject.

And I do not hate JW or think he a bum.

I hope like hell he turns into the greatest forward the MFc has ever seen.

I think he is a work in progress and it is a couple of years off before we know if he is better than an average footballer.

If anyone says that's what didn't make solid process in 2011 then they're either not opening their eyes, following the popular thing to do (i.e. get stuck into Watts), or have maybe a bit of tall poppy syndrome

that is my point - his progress in 2011, not the fact he's a star

Tall, athletic, golden haired child from affluent bayside, attending Brightion Grammar, being drafted to a club with a supporter base seen as tof nosed range rover driving snow goers (<-- by the way - because people say this sterotype - does it make it true?)

Jack was never going to be popular with opposition supporters, please want him to fail, they will pick out 1 mistake amongst his 15 good things

It will always be that way until his quiet games become the exception

If anyone says that's what didn't make solid process in 2011 then they're either not opening their eyes, following the popular thing to do (i.e. get stuck into Watts), or have maybe a bit of tall poppy syndrome

that is my point - his progress in 2011, not the fact he's a star

Tall, athletic, golden haired child from affluent bayside, attending Brightion Grammar, being drafted to a club with a supporter base seen as tof nosed range rover driving snow goers (<-- by the way - because people say this sterotype - does it make it true?)

Jack was never going to be popular with opposition supporters, please want him to fail, they will pick out 1 mistake amongst his 15 good things

It will always be that way until his quiet games become the exception

Carn the Dees

Guest gidon

There is no need to panic, just yet, with JW. The reality is he has played 40 games of AFL and some say it takes 100 games of AFL footy before you feel like you belong in the big league.

IMO opinion Jack looks somewhat hesitant in games. Thus he goes missing, looks out of place and does not impose himself. I go back to my first point, it takes 100 games before some one belongs in the AFL.

But, when it does click for him he shows his class and the impact he can impose on the game. Having said this he still has not dominated a game at this level.

Jack has shown he can be a very good player at this level, but has yet to show what his ceiling will be.

One important factor that has not been spoken about is his maturity. Yes his physicality needs to develop, but so does his maturity. Ive seen it develop alot over the years and see it continues into this season, I get the feeling next season will be the year he shows his potential. A year under Clark and the new footy dept structure will excellarate his mental and physical maturity.

His skills are not and issue for me. 50 more games (touch wood) and continued development will see his true worth. Until then he will continue to tease, and worry many

There is no need to panic, just yet, with JW. The reality is he has played 40 games of AFL and some say it takes 100 games of AFL footy before you feel like you belong in the big league.

IMO opinion Jack looks somewhat hesitant in games. Thus he goes missing, looks out of place and does not impose himself. I go back to my first point, it takes 100 games before some one belongs in the AFL.

But, when it does click for him he shows his class and the impact he can impose on the game. Having said this he still has not dominated a game at this level.

Jack has shown he can be a very good player at this level, but has yet to show what his ceiling will be.

One important factor that has not been spoken about is his maturity. Yes his physicality needs to develop, but so does his maturity. Ive seen it develop alot over the years and see it continues into this season, I get the feeling next season will be the year he shows his potential. A year under Clark and the new footy dept structure will excellarate his mental and physical maturity.

His skills are not and issue for me. 50 more games (touch wood) and continued development will see his true worth. Until then he will continue to tease, and worry many

A point on that - Watts has never really had any form of physical protection from his team mates. Clark being there will make him walk taller in that regard IMO