Inside knowledge

Hip & Shoulder

Mark Neeld...

"The other really big eye-opener for me was, unless you are working within the inner sanctum of a football club, it is impossible to understand how the club operates - from an on-field perspective right through to the boardroom."

Everyone who says they know what goes on at the Club, unless they are "within the inner sanctum" are just guessing and making assumptions. And that includes journalists, who think they know everything but whose job is to fill column inches - on paper or websites.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/128821/default.aspx

I like it! It says, were confident in our program and facilities (as previously said)! You have no idea of what we are doing! Maybe we are doing things differently! Wait and see! Our list will start to develop, and I will coach accordingly! This year you will see, but it may change!

Neeld is definitely learning the media craft nicely. Well done

So we know he can talk the talk: now he needs to show us all that he can walk th walk......and I have no reason to suspect that he will not.

Seriously, he seems like a man who knows what he wants and believes he knows how to get it. And I suspect that he will be flexible enough to implement plan B or even C if needed should plan A not get results, either within a game or through a season. And won't that be a pleasant change for us long suffering Demon tragics. Structure, with flexibility.

So we know he can talk the talk: now he needs to show us all that he can walk th walk......and I have no reason to suspect that he will not.

He has said the bleedin obvious on this occassion. Neeld's real test starts in a couple of weeks. I hope the lovefest continues....

Does that include the tragics on this site that think they are "in the know". I think it does .

There's something in that for all of us- even the former leadership group who are now not .

Once the season begins -there is only 1 general and all the rest are soldiers .

• Like 2

What it says is that Mark Neeld is putting his Gonads on the line. Packing his ship the way he wants it, before it leaves the dock. Once out at sea we will know how well he has prepared. But he is leaving no stone unturned.

I like it! It says, were confident in our program and facilities (as previously said)! You have no idea of what we are doing! Maybe we are doing things differently! Wait and see! Our list will start to develop, and I will coach accordingly! This year you will see, but it may change!

It could quite equally say - "I had no idea the place was run by the cleaning lady ubtil I actually got here"

• Like 4

Guest Jackie

Who cares what go's on. They can tell us as much truth, porkies and spin as they like. The bottom line for us is what happens on the field. We then reserve the right to dish out the praise, criticism or questions.

I know that the Melbourne Football Club was an absolute joke (yet again) last year.

I know that many people are talking Finals when we were absolutely smashed by not only the Cats but also by North Melbourne.

I know that the board and most of the Football Management were the most inept in Victoria.

I know that changes have now been put in place and although the only way is up, sideways is unfortunately still an option.

Edited by Franky_31

I think its not a big ask to make the finals this year. And we should start to demand finals football this year. We have the best draw in the comp and its time to stop making out like we are not ready. Thats rubbish and im sure mark thinks the same time to stand and be counted we cant keep crying that we are young. I for one will see this year as a flop if we dont make the 8 with draw we have. I know were young but we almost made it last year and we were bad. Time to let the football do the talking for this team and stop excepting nothing less than finals every year for the next 5 years. Just my thoughts

Teams suddenly "Click" . It has happened numerous times in the League .

Now , it's almost impossible to "Click" if your list isn't much chop . Our list is much better than that , so people have every right to hope that we can finish 7th or 8th .

If you think we can finish 10th , why not go for 2 spots higher . It's not like we're all going to be "hauled over the coals" for being overly optimistic .

Just about every Collingwood fan I've ever met reckons they're gonna win the flag . Every year ! Now there's the definition of ridiculous optimism .

FWIW , this is the first time since 2007 that I've thought we're a genuine chance for finals ( my 2007 optimism was based on 2006 )

Cheers

Last year, as this year there will be a poll to see how the demons go after the Home and Aways.

MFC supporters are, if nothing else, hopeful. Many picked us to make the finals last year. I dont pick us to get close this year as North and Freo are looking good at this stage.

As we still have 90% of the same list as last year, and some of our best players are going into 2012 without a full pre-season, I cant see us making finals this year.

I am buoyed by many reasonable posters giving us a shot and I havent attended training, but personally I remain gutted by actions of our team, coach and board surrounding 186.

If the leadership tanked because of Bailey either staying or going, its dire straits. We have a long way to go.

On top of that, Davey, Moloney and Green may not be giving it 100% this year. They are out highest paid players and we dont need prima donnas. They have to move out ASAP.

Maybe next year for me.

And we should start to demand finals football this year.

Good. We should also demand that players with less than 30 games experience play like they have 130 games under their belt. Its only fair.

Teams suddenly "Click" . It has happened numerous times in the League .

Now , it's almost impossible to "Click" if your list isn't much chop . Our list is much better than that , so people have every right to hope that we can finish 7th or 8th .

If you think we can finish 10th , why not go for 2 spots higher . It's not like we're all going to be "hauled over the coals" for being overly optimistic .

Cheers

Its basically the same list as last year with Clark and changes at the edges. Everyone can certainly hope for finals and I think everyone does.

But there is nothing wrong with making an objective assessment of where your side is at. It may give you a broader horizon to understand the good and also the tough times as well.

On top of that, Davey, Moloney and Green may not be giving it 100% this year. They are out highest paid players and we dont need prima donnas. They have to move out ASAP.

Maybe next year for me.

I felt we did not get much of out of Davey and Green last year. Anything we get from them is a bonus IMO.

Good. We should also demand that players with less than 30 games experience play like they have 130 games under their belt. Its only fair.

Its basically the same list as last year with Clark and changes at the edges. Everyone can certainly hope for finals and I think everyone does.

But there is nothing wrong with making an objective assessment of where your side is at. It may give you a broader horizon to understand the good and also the tough times as well.

I felt we did not get much of out of Davey and Green last year. Anything we get from them is a bonus IMO.

But the list is 1 year older in nearly all cases . So it's not basically the same list at all . We didn't offload any players of any experience and many of the younger ones have some valuable game time under their belts .

I say we finish 7th or 8th and by the sounds of it , you don't think we'll be a basket case . 10th for you ? That's puts us fairly close in all reality .

Cheers .

Edited by Macca

Hey Franky, do you think people are talking or were talking finals last year? If they were they were either impatient or unrealistic. If they are this year then I hope they are right. I think we are a year away from that.

We were 1.5 games out of the 8 after rd 17.

Didn't deserve to get in the 8 but we weren't that far out of it.

In all reality we were further away from the 8 than 1.5 games based on our inconsistency and our poor showing in many of our losses. We still had Hawks, Geel, Carlton and WCE to play which notwithstanding the actual outcomes were not games we were likely to win on form to date.

New coach and period to acclimatise to new game plan/style. 10th can put you up to 3 games shy of the finals. I think Sept is unlikely this year. Hope to see otherwise.

Yep , and one kick can separate a team from winning the flag and finishing 5th ( 1964 ) and therefore missing the finals altogether .

Though to be fair , we did lose round 18 at Footscray when there was nothing riding on the result . ( We had 1st or 2nd stitched up ) No guarantees at the Western Oval though .

Round 17 , 1964 .......................................

http://stats.rleague...s/1964.html#lad

Cheers

Edited by Macca