• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Garry Lyon's six-month rescue mission over

Brayshaws' Helmet

And assuming the ADELAIDENEWS article is credible then why was Neeld given 24 hours to take the job by CS by phone? I though this would have been a Board responsibility.

Fair point, but as i said it is no reason to hammer G. Lyon.

Seperate issue IMO.

Guest Jackie

Fair point, but as i said it is no reason to hammer G. Lyon.

Seperate issue IMO.

We have gone through crap after crap for decades and it seems to be getting worse. Who the F$&@% do we believe? This guy walks in and out of the club as some kind of quick fix savior then disappears again. Now we also have the players saying there is nothing wrong but they haven't got a clue to why they are playing so bad and even beyond bad. Is now one of life's greatest mysteries. Happy to wait till the dust settles to see who remained clean. Then I will make my apologies if I was unjust in my criticism.

Edited by Jackie

I would not have posted my reference to the Adelaide Advertiser article if I did not believe it was credible.

MFC is in a sorry state – anyone who doubts this simply does not want to see.

I have even heard rumours of more Collingwood imports being sought for MFC – if they are genuinely good value, I have no problem, but if not then no way!

I am not being emotional or irrational when I say drastic action is required within MFC – I desperately want MFC to rise from the ashes, but ‘if it is to be, it is up to us’.

Time to stand up and be counted.

Garry Lyon talked a little about the recruitment of Mark Neeld on the footy show tonight. during it he said that he was not reccomended to get neeld by mick malthouse.

when pushed on the matter, he said he never talked to him during that process.

he also went on to say he spoke to the manager of ross lyon, but never actually spoke to ross himself.

now, this may be a stipid question, but why the hell didn't he speak to either of these people himself???

if he was prime in the decision of choosing our new coach, and did not speak to the two top candidates, what the hell was he doing during that time???

spoke to ross lyons manager only?? pick up the phone, it is not that hard.

surly it would have been more convincing to both those guys if Garry had rung them personally? I mean was garry waiting for them to ring him?

I am annoyed.

Garry Lyon talked a little about the recruitment of Mark Neeld on the footy show tonight. during it he said that he was not reccomended to get neeld by mick malthouse.

he also went on to say he spoke to the manager of ross lyon, but never actually spoke to ross himself.

now, this may be a stipid question, but why the hell didn't he speak to either of these people himself???

if he was prime in the decision of choosing our new coach, and did not speak to the two top candidates, what the hell was he doing during that time???

spoke to ross lyons manager only?? pick up the phone, it is not that hard.

surly it would have been more convincing to both those guys if Garry had rung them personally? I mean was garry waiting for them to ring him?

I am annoyed.

Hold on.

First things first, at that point Mick Malthouse was still a man in a job. Let's remember that. It would have been the height of rudeness to ask Malthouse about another coaching job when he was in the heat of a finals campaign.

Secondly, Ross Lyon. Now, understand that all players, coaches and media personalities work through a manager to handle contract stuff. Garry, quite rightly, went to Craig Kelly for the feeler, and Kelly suggested that it wasn't going to happen and Ross was going to stay at St Kilda. Now, Lyon went behind even his manager's back in making the Fremantle deal, to the point that Kelly parted company with R. Lyon soon after the Fremantle deal was announced.

• Like 9

Hold on.

First things first, at that point Mick Malthouse was still a man in a job. Let's remember that. It would have been the height of rudeness to ask Malthouse about another coaching job when he was in the heat of a finals campaign.

Secondly, Ross Lyon. Now, understand that all players, coaches and media personalities work through a manager to handle contract stuff. Garry, quite rightly, went to Craig Kelly for the feeler, and Kelly suggested that it wasn't going to happen and Ross was going to stay at St Kilda. Now, Lyon went behind even his manager's back in making the Fremantle deal, to the point that Kelly parted company with R. Lyon soon after the Fremantle deal was announced.

A a result of someone at Fremantle calling Ross direct and at least inquiring as to his coaching interests. Garry it seems didn't feel that was sporting and hence we honourably got flogged by Freo in the race for Ross

FWIW , it wouldn't have bothered Eddie if the coach he wanted was in the middle of a finals campaign.

And thank god we didn't get the negative Lyon.

Problem is, we got the negative Neeld.

Gary: Hi Ross do you want to coach melbourne

Ross: No. Love St Kilda mate.

The freo deal was EASILY the biggest sly deal of the last 50 years!

the bloke went behind his manager and club at the time to do a deal with a rival whilst keeping up appearances everywhere else

You would have to be a dead set peanut to believe that Ross would have said - you know what gary, i've been offered this and if you can beat that, then i will be more than happy to coach your rabble of a club that have the defensive structures of a 3yo child and who's premiership window will open in 5 years time.

Guest Jackie

I would like just to to know if Gary actually interviewed any live human candidates or if anyone else on the Board did. And it has been reported that Schwab was the one to make the coaching offer to Neeld by phone.

I'm starting to be convinced that Gary's much heralded rescue mission was just a media event orchestrated by Schwab. And plenty of those we have had in the past few years.

Edited by Jackie

All depends if Gary was his own man or was just rubber stamping Schwab's wishes. I suspect the latter.

Your suspicions are founded in what?

I seem to recall that he was brought in by the Chairman to report directly to the Board around the Football Department. Oh wait that's right there was an article on the website about his role.

http://www.melbourne...90/default.aspx

So I guess he was just rubber stamping Schwab's wishes.

And assuming the ADELAIDENEWS article is credible then why was Neeld given 24 hours to take the job by CS by phone? I though this would have been a Board responsibility.

Once any decision was made around the new coach it would be endorsed by the Board and it is then the job of the CEO to begin negotiating a contract for the new coach as it is an operational matter. CS would have used a phone because it is cheaper then carrier pigeons, not as messy as smoke signals and not everyone understands morse code in this day and age.

But hell that's only my opinion.

Edited by Felix da Dee
  • Like 1

Hello, McFly?

What's done is done, it's over, dead and buried.

There is nothing to gain in going over old decisions that, were the clock wound back, may or may not have turned out differently.

It's like re-enacting the battle of Waterloo with miniatures. It might be fun, but does not achieve anything.

The only viable course of action is to work with what we have. Onwards and upwards.

Go Demons!

• Like 5

If you go back through the Coach posts we had when Gary was searching there was a clear target list that the club worked through, 1st Al Clarkson 2nd Mick Malthouse 3rd Ross Lyon 4th an assistant out of Neeld/Sanderson/McCartney, we jumped on Neeld and from all reports Adelaide also had an offer in to him.

We have had an extremely soft environment at our club, we went through the 2000's Ok some finals but ND played his favourates no matter what, this team didn't have a defensive mind set it was plain kick a lot of goals and we win, but every year we had a run of games when we couldn't kikc goals and we could stop goals being kicked against us. Again with Bailey similar plan, so with Neeld we are trying something different and it is a mind set change along with new structures.

Neeld will be fine and in 2013 you will see dramatic improvement

• Like 4

I would not have posted my reference to the Adelaide Advertiser article if I did not believe it was credible.

Well that's good.

Do you have any further information on that - because the Melbourne newspapers were running stories about Adelaide missing out on Neeld.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/crows-lean-to-mark-neeld/story-e6frf9jf-1226133579375

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/neeld-anointed-as-melbournes-coach-20110916-1kdkr.html

And then the waterboy for the Crows - Rucci - comes out months later with this 'history of events' and you immediately believe him.

Why?

Because you are a Melbourne supporter - and the truth must be the 'history of events' that is the most embarrassing to the club.

MFC is in a sorry state – anyone who doubts this simply does not want to see.

I have even heard rumours of more Collingwood imports being sought for MFC – if they are genuinely good value, I have no problem, but if not then no way!

I am not being emotional or irrational when I say drastic action is required within MFC – I desperately want MFC to rise from the ashes, but ‘if it is to be, it is up to us’.

Time to stand up and be counted.

What do you suggest?

What unemotional and rational drastic action do you think we should take?

• Like 3

I would like just to to know if Gary actually interviewed any live human candidates or if anyone else on the Board did. And it has been reported that Schwab was the one to make the coaching offer to Neeld by phone.

I'm starting to be convinced that Gary's much heralded rescue mission was just a media event orchestrated by Schwab. And plenty of those we have had in the past few years.

CEOs of clubs make that phone call.

I don't think it is the 'smoking gun' of Cameron Schwab's malevolence and 'Lyon puppetry' that you think it is.

• Like 2

Ha! ha!

When I read this thread, I envisage some posters (late at night, under a dim lamp bulb) with little clothes pegs that they have drawn faces on, and given names like "Garry", "Cam", "Neale", "Gabriel" and so on.

They have got an old shoe box and some tape and made a lovely little "board room" with a tiny cardboard "board room table".

Then they act out little power plays, manipulating the pegs around the table, working and reworking imagined scenarios. "Garry gets fired"; "Bailey gets reappointed"; "Cam goes before a firing squad"; "Norm Smith is exhumed", and on and on.

Not therapeutic, not cathartic. Just nursing and tending old wounds, for no purpose except to entrench negative feelings.

Get over it people!

What happened, happened.

There is no going back.

Work with what we have, positively and constructively.

There is no other way.

Onwards and upwards.

Go Demons!

• Like 1

What do you suggest?

What unemotional and rational drastic action do you think we should take?

A 50 page thread on Demonland of course!

I say drastic action is required within MFC

I think that's what you're seeing - how much more drastic do you want?

"We need big changes to ever be successfull!!!" "Oooh I don't like those changes, the pain, the pain ..."

• Like 4

I'd rather go to jail than watch TFS, but he said that did he? - that he never talked to Mick Malthouse during MFC's coach hiring process - and then he hired Mick's right hand man. OK.

The mentality that we do things in systematic way, through the right channels and don't put anyones nose out of joint needs ot be left behind. Ross Lyon's poaching by Freo, Carltons pre-amptive strike on Judd are examples of where other clubs have acted surreptitiously where we've been floundering around the periphery. I'm not saying that either outcome would have been different but we can't let others, or a narrow view of the way things are done dictate our future.

Getting Mitch Clarke was a good example of the change of attitude we need.

• Like 1

Freo is welcome to R Lyon.

It's far too early to be making a call on Neeld but I seem to remember that the overwhelming sentiment on this site when we took Neeld was that we had a keeper.

So let's stay staunch a while longer. We welcomed his hard talk, his obvious displeasure at round one, his increased emphasis on contested footy and a strong defence so let's lose the panic mode.

Most weeks this year we have seen improvement. Last week was a huge step back but we should also be conscious that Misson is training them harder mid-week than he has other teams (if his interview on the club site is correct) and that implies this year is essentially an extended preseason for 2013 and beyond.

Edited by pitmaster

Lyon hasn't set the world on fire at Freo, so let's wait for a year or so before we start crying because we didn't get him.

Lyon also may not have been interested in coming to a team in Melbourne which would have required more time and effort compared to Freo which essentially had most of the cattle already in place to make a push for a premiership in the next few years...

Lyon also may not have been interested in coming to a team in Melbourne which would have required more time and effort compared to Freo which essentially had most of the cattle already in place to make a push for a premiership in the next few years...

No they wont.

We have more chance in the next five years-despite current perceptions .

• Like 1