• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

jayceebee31

My point being Bobby was that was the moment when his disposal went down hill

After that kick he seemed to lose all confidence when disposing of the ball

EDIT: In fact, I remember the way he dropped the ball during that kick. Horridly awkward and different to his usual style

From there on in he used to drop the ball onto his boot the same way

Definitely the high ball drop. Add a slight gust of wind and a pinch of sticky fingers and you've got the perfect recipe for helicopter soup.

Petterd has the same issues.

Edited by Yoda

I can handle bashing Scully for leaving us, but all of the harsh words regarding Cam are out of line IMO.

Wonder if people will say the same harsh things about Jr when he only plays a few games next season for the Giants?

Junior - told by the club he was no longer required. Never held the club to ransom during contract negotiation. Never played his contract negotiations out in the media.

Cam - told by the club he was required on a 12 month contract for a significant sum. Told he would get a 2nd year if warranted. S**t on the club, took a 12 month deal for far less money from another club who couldn't guarantee a 2nd year. A club where he was not best 22 vs the club that plucked him from obscurity and served him well (and he served us well, I don't disagree) where he was best 22. A player who ever time he negotiated a new contract held the club to ransom, and played it out via the media.

Surely you can understand why some are a little bitter towards Cam

Additionally, I think Junior was retired at the right time and honestly, it's a joke if he thinks he still has anything left in him

• Like 1

The way they pushed Jr. out of the door would have effected Cam's reasoning during the negotiations.

I also dont understand how people can be bitter if in the same breath they are proclaiming about how much of a hack he was anyway? If his disposal was/is so bad, then why be bitter about him leaving.

Anyway, #32 was one of my favourite players during the mid 2000's and i harbour no ill feelings towards him

I think it's a shame that we're reduced to being so bitter towards him. I was disappointed that he chose to leave the club for the Hawks, especially when I could see he was never going to be a regular player for them, but I still feel it's worth noting his contributions while he played for us and for me it's better to remember him as a handy Demon than a turncoat Hawk.

He wasn't the best kick but i really think he became a player that no matter what he did, Dees fans (including me) just saw laconic running and poor disposal. I feel the reality was that he brought experience and a cool head to the backline in his later years with us.

The rest of you can continue acting negative towards him, I find it sad that he won't finish a Melbourne player and may end his career on a bad note.

• Like 1

He backed himself for a second year at the Hawks when he could have done the same with the Dees. The possible difference - and I guess we will never know what was really said behind closed doors that seemed to spark the acrimonious split (was it the message or the way it was delivered?) - was the last chance to play finals and even a Grand Final at his age given he felt the Demons weren't going to get there in his time.

The fact was in the end, that the Hawks fell one game short of a Grand Final berth and his own lack of form and fitness also fell short and he wasn't selected anyway for any of their finals' appearances. The Hawks were in their window to include a seasoned veteran on their list that might add something to their mix. We were looking to get games into kids and he would have been taking the spot on one of them.

Was it worth the punt? Only Cameron Bruce would know the answer to that.

I think if we're being honest, there has always been an undercurrent of resentment at the money he was being paid. Not because we begrudge our 'best players' top money but because for that kind of coin we needed a star. And through no fault of his own, for a good five or six year period, he was was never better than just a good footballer and we were never better than just an okay side.

Cameron hits a nerve with us because he is the poster boy for our lack of finals success over a ten year period. His defection to Hawthorn just rubbed salt into the wounds.

It was a poor decision in hindsight but shouldn't detract from the fact that 200+ games at Melbourne as a late draft pick was a very good effort.

Edited by Yoda

The way they pushed Jr. out of the door would have effected Cam's reasoning during the negotiations.

I also dont understand how people can be bitter if in the same breath they are proclaiming about how much of a hack he was anyway? If his disposal was/is so bad, then why be bitter about him leaving.

Anyway, #32 was one of my favourite players during the mid 2000's and i harbour no ill feelings towards him

Cameron played a role, he was no hack (very good one on one, rarely beaten), his disposal just became terrible

And I disagree he was always a terrible disposer, early on in his career he was quite good

Cameron played a role, he was no hack (very good one on one, rarely beaten), his disposal just became terrible

And I disagree he was always a terrible disposer, early on in his career he was quite good

Quite right.

Cameron Bruce was no star, but from what he was expected to be to what he became, he achieved more than most. Those achievements were based on an excellent work ethic.

By the same token, Cameron Bruce was always about Cameron Bruce. That's not a crime, but it's also not Michael Voss.

Not many players have played over 200 games. Not many 200 game players spoil their legacy in this way. Not many clubs shaft their captain like we did Junior. There's two sides to this story, and neither is wrong.

Edited by Choko

Quite right.

Cameron Bruce was no star, but from what he was expected to be to what he became, he achieved more than most. Those achievements were based on an excellent work ethic.

By the same token, Cameron Bruce was always about Cameron Bruce. That's not a crime, but it's also not Michael Voss.

Not many players have played over 200 games. Not many 200 game players spoil their legacy in this way. Not many clubs shaft their captain like we did Junior. There's two sides to this story, and neither is wrong.

Agree with all, other than the fact Junior was shafted

His time was up

Quite right.

i rekcon bruce was close to a star for a few years there.

He was one of only a few players in our side which my non dee's mates would conceed was a good player

Agree with all, other than the fact Junior was shafted

His time was up

half agree -

his time was up but Bailey did admit that if he had his time again he would have handled it better by not waiting so long into the season when the decision had already been made in his mind.

I'm sure Bruce is a nice bloke, but that's irrelevant. He decided to walk from the club and go to the Hawks via the pre-season draft, he gave the club no chance to negotiate for a trade. That's a bloody disgraceful act by a so called leader. The club managed the list in such a way to guarantee his high salary through to his retirement, he would have been the highest paid player on our list, but he decided to screw us instead.

I understand the reasons for him wanting to leave for Hawthorn, I have absolutely no issue with that at all, but the way he did it was disgraceful.

Zero sympathy if Hawthorn delists him.

• Like 2

I guess I'd have to agree with most of that, I always had time for Cam but he and a few others from the Daniher era always seemed to make their contract negotiations very public and the threat was always there to leave and go elsewhere. He was paid well and played well for the most part but I can't say I'll miss his holding us to ransom anymore.

As I said elsewhere he is in no man's land no longer not part of us and not part of them.

Not part of us ? Not in my eyes or plenty of others demons - He'll get life membership soon enough as well - so what if he held out for more money at times - it's not as if he's on his own in that dept.

Even the great Ronald Dale played 50 games in a Carlton jumper ( whilst we were becoming a bit of a basket case )

People should always show a bit of foresight when judging a players career - in other words how are you gonna feel in 2 or 3 years time ?

Cameron helped our team play in 5 finals campaigns - which is a far cry from the rubbish we've been served up in the last 5 years .

Forget about his last year or 2 - He took a punt at the Hawks and it probably hasn't worked - I seem to remember Wells , Alves and others taking that same punt - Overall Cam was really good contributor .

I've been reading posts on this site for about 2 years now and quite a few have copped it - Yze , Robbo , Daniher , Travis and others - It seems the ONLY player who hasn't is Neitz - that's sad if you think about it .

I've never met the Cameron Bruce and probably never will but I'd be happy to have a beer with him if the chance ever arose .

Cheers , Nuggets

I can handle bashing Scully for leaving us, but all of the harsh words regarding Cam are out of line IMO.

Wonder if people will say the same harsh things about Jr when he only plays a few games next season for the Giants?

No one on here will knock Junior. In fact like many others on here I wish him all the best.

If he gets another year at the Hawks ( as reported ) does that mean he gets another 300k ? Melbourne might have turfed him . Good luck to him ( just don't play well against us ! )

Btw I don't like the way the Club has ended the careers of many of our experienced players in the last 5 years - it's been ugly on too many occasions - could have been done a lot better - there's a classy way to do it and then there has been our way - it can create a siege mentality - " Every man for himself ! "

Btw I don't like the way the Club has ended the careers of many of our experienced players in the last 5 years - it's been ugly on too many occasions - could have been done a lot better - there's a classy way to do it and then there has been our way - it can create a siege mentality - " Every man for himself ! "

Which is the classy way is that? Offer them another contract when their careers were past it?

Junior could have been done better.

But hell Neitz, White Yze and Robbo were finished as footballers well before they left MFC. After years of just ruling the roost, all of those mentioned bar Neitz have whinged like cut cats over their false sense of entitlement. MFC use to be a great superannuation plan for many LT players. We used to give one too many 2-3 year contract at the end of their careers

• Like 1