The Brendon Goddard Thread

mrtwister

We couldn't offer him a high salary ?

We were prepared to offer Scully $3 million for 5 years ($600K / year), now he's gone.

If it came to fruition it would most likely require a player of value to go. There'$ more money.

Bam.

Then there is the indication that we'll go to 100% TPP

There's more room.

Double Bam.

The other thing is the opportunity to play in a GF in 2-3 years time....you sell it. You sell that we'll get O'Meara & Viney, etc...sell it. Sell the frack that we're closer than GWS.

Mate if you can sell that to Goddard you are in line for Steve Jobs position.

Beside die hard Demon supporters no one else believes we will be playing in a GF in 2 -3 years.

We are 5 years away from a GF, Goddard will be retired by then.

Put aside your loyalities Would you join the MFC if you were Goddard?

I would not there are better propositions around.

Definitely would love Goddard at the MFC, is he worth 2 first round picks nope, only because he is 27 before next season starts.

Would give a first and second rounder and Bate (Sweetener of sorts) ect

Is just too old to go all out for imo, would he see a premiership with us? maybe if he plays until he is 31-32 years old

If you were Goddard why would you come to the MFC.

At his age I would have thought that you would be looking to achieve one of two things.

I chance at playing in a premiership or maximise your earnings.

He will get neither at the Dees.

At the blues he has a chance at a flag and GWS will pay way more than us.

Of course he might get both at Freo

and he knows the bloke there.

Goddard is the type that many clubs, Sydney, Blues, Pies, Hawks, Cats, would love to have while in their 'Windows'. All these teams are close to top 4 contention.

Then they're is the clubs with big Dollars to spend. GWS,,, Suns, Lions, Crows? & maybe Dockers.

I don't think we'll chase him as he's to old for our Window.

Some of you need to get out and smell the fresh air.

Mate if you can sell that to Goddard you are in line for Steve Jobs position.

Beside die hard Demon supporters no one else believes we will be playing in a GF in 2 -3 years.

We are 5 years away from a GF, Goddard will be retired by then.

Put aside your loyalities Would you join the MFC if you were Goddard?

I would not there are better propositions around.

So let's not even talk to him then, FMD. Close the book, let's just keep on keeping on. I honestly don't know about supporters but I want a fracking flag before I'm pushing up daisy's !

If there is an avenue to be explored to improve our [censored] leadership within our club and fast track it, I want it F***'n explored.

If I was Goddard I would probably prefer to remain a one club player, but I'm not F'ing B.Goddard !

B.Goddard seems to me to be a player looking after his future, but also mindful of wanting to be a Premiership player. Watching a former teammate in Luke Ball would do that to you.

But if the choice was a very near downward spiralling list in St.Kilda who have just lost a popular coach and second to none fitness guru, or a trek to outback Falafel land and be well paid, or staying in Melbourne and be well paid and perhaps an equal chance of playing in a Premiership as it would among falafel when he's 31-32. I know what I'd choose - but I guess that's just me.

Maybe there are better propositions around, I don't know. But I know our club offered a pretty good deal for T$ to stay and he has walked, so we have the coin to make a decent offer. BG would be aware of the changes off field we're making having opened the war chest. Throw in a carrot or two and see ! Make a move. Don't die wondering.

Not sure if anyone has come across this post on Demonology!!

http://demonology.mi...707&BoardType=0

Interesting, but im not reading too much into any rumours.

Check the rumour file thread ( http://demonland.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28337-rumour-file/ ) created 3-4 weeks ago here by WJ.

DW may already have......

• Like 1

Goddard is the type that many clubs, Sydney, Blues, Pies, Hawks, Cats, would love to have while in their 'Windows'. All these teams are close to top 4 contention.

Then they're is the clubs with big Dollars to spend. GWS,,, Suns, Lions, Crows? & maybe Dockers.

I don't think we'll chase him as he's to old for our Window.

He's 26 !

Some of you need to get out and smell the fresh air.

So let's not even talk to him then, FMD. Close the book, let's just keep on keeping on. I honestly don't know about supporters but I want a fracking flag before I'm pushing up daisy's !

If there is an avenue to be explored to improve our [censored] leadership within our club and fast track it, I want it F***'n explored.

If I was Goddard I would probably prefer to remain a one club player, but I'm not F'ing B.Goddard !

B.Goddard seems to me to be a player looking after his future, but also mindful of wanting to be a Premiership player. Watching a former teammate in Luke Ball would do that to you.

But if the choice was a very near downward spiralling list in St.Kilda who have just lost a popular coach and second to none fitness guru, or a trek to outback Falafel land and be well paid, or staying in Melbourne and be well paid and perhaps an equal chance of playing in a Premiership as it would among falafel when he's 31-32. I know what I'd choose - but I guess that's just me.

Maybe there are better propositions around, I don't know. But I know our club offered a pretty good deal for T$ to stay and he has walked, so we have the coin to make a decent offer. BG would be aware of the changes off field we're making having opened the war chest. Throw in a carrot or two and see ! Make a move. Don't die wondering.

Check the rumour file thread ( http://demonland.com...37-rumour-file/ ) created 3-4 weeks ago here by WJ.

DW may already have......

HT I am not sure why you are so worked up.

At no stage did I say that we should not chase him.

I just don't see it happening .

Not sure why I need to get out and smell the roses.

The simple fact is the MFC has seldom been seen as being a top club.

Us supporters IMO think that players are falling over them selves to come to the MFC.

The reverse is actually the case.

IMO There are better offers to Goddard than the MFC can put up at present.

Other clubs can offer him a chance at a flag in the next couple of years and high salary.

I do not believe the MFC can beat that offer at present.

Get on him and throw everything at him! He is a true leader who sets incredibly high standards and is tough as nails. Everyone on the list would walk taller with him being around and he would be a fantastic captain for our club.

For those who worry thinking that he will be thinking about our premiership window I ask do you people not think Judd thought the same thing? He went to Carlton I think in 2008 with their future A Grade stars at the following ages: Murphy 21, Gibbs 19 and Kruze 19. Very similar to our Watts, Trenners, Jurrah & Gys

Next thing the blues are playing finals and this year one kick away from a preliminary. Ask any Cats fan also and they were a lot more comfortable playing the Eagles then the Blues after the cracker of a game they had during the year. I thought they also played well against Collingwood.

If we are this close in three years time pushing for a flag Goddard will be 29... wow that seems soooo old!!

I have a Saints mad family who all believe Goddard will leave. He looked dis-enchanted this year which had to be a direct result of their off season.

He is an out and out star and I would be devastated if we didn't throw everything at him!!

• Like 1

HT I am not sure why you are so worked up.

At no stage did I say that we should not chase him.

I just don't see it happening .

Not sure why I need to get out and smell the roses.

The simple fact is the MFC has seldom been seen as being a top club.

Us supporters IMO think that players are falling over them selves to come to the MFC.

The reverse is actually the case.

IMO There are better offers to Goddard than the MFC can put up at present.

Other clubs can offer him a chance at a flag in the next couple of years and high salary.

I do not believe the MFC can beat that offer at present.

It was a late night old dee and I think I O.D'd on caffeine. I hope you're ok with that response... caffeine and emotions are an undesirable mix.

Btw fresh air, not roses :)

All I'm saying is it wouldn't hurt to make an approach, old dee. You get a decent player accross, the standards lift and other footballers gravitate towards a leader. Build it and they will come..is the motto I'll use here.

Just look at what Carlton have done with Judd.

We have cap room, coin (thanks to list management initiatives), the picks, a young vibrant list on the improve, new coach who has a clear direction and knows what he wants, the club has spent big off-field in the last couple of weeks to lift standards and we have second-to-none facilities in Melbourne (as apposed to Seaford).

If they've made an approach and attractive offer I'll be happy. If he declines, we move on.

To be seen as a club on the move, you've got to be bold and smart. I'm still thinking about the massive leadership void that exists at present in our list.

Players aren't falling over themselves to come, yet. But from where the club was at 2007, we've come a hell of a long way and built significant foundations to move forward. We took a hit with T$ and I'd like to see us strike back "prudently". If it's all just smoke and indecision on Goddard's part, fine.

Clearly "prudently" in this instance is subjective. Hence the differing opinions.

My opinion is there is no better time to make an approach and make it attractive. That's all I'm hoping the club will do. We may not be seen as a top club, but sometimes you've got to fake it to make it. So sell it.

Of course, there is a flipside to my thoughts on this old dee. The thing is, if our club thinks there is scope for natural improvement in our list and is hell bent in obtaining a star of the future in the Mini-Draft (ie.O'Meara, Crouch), we couldn't possibly obtain someone like BG. We would be required to throw two compo picks + to achieve a winning bid - which would rule out obtaining BG.

Edited by H_T

By all means explore. Judd though played for Carlton at 24 turning 25 post seasons end - and still hasn't got the result, freak that he is.

So a complete gun having joined a side with quality youth, going into his 5th year, see his teams best result as 5th place.

As mentioned Goddard is 26, going on 27 in May. Still believe that a 24 and under type would be more more "prudent" wrt our list.

Edited by Trident

He's 26 !

Currently 26Yr-4mths http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-st-kilda-saints--brendon-goddard

27Yrs mid season 2012

28Yrs mid season 2013

29Yrs mid season 2014 when we'll start to become top flight

30Yrs mid season 2015 and nearly finished,,, just when were needing guns. He's too expensive, and not a great return for our timeframe.

Again he's at his Peak right Now. stop panicking HT.

We're still building and things are on-track.

Edited by dee-luded

It was a late night old dee and I think I O.D'd on caffeine. I hope you're ok with that response... caffeine and emotions are an undesirable mix.

Btw fresh air, not roses :)

All I'm saying is it wouldn't hurt to make an approach, old dee. You get a decent player accross, the standards lift and other footballers gravitate towards a leader. Build it and they will come..is the motto I'll use here.

Just look at what Carlton have done with Judd.

We have cap room, coin (thanks to list management initiatives), the picks, a young vibrant list on the improve, new coach who has a clear direction and knows what he wants, the club has spent big off-field in the last couple of weeks to lift standards and we have second-to-none facilities in Melbourne (as apposed to Seaford).

If they've made an approach and attractive offer I'll be happy. If he declines, we move on.

To be seen as a club on the move, you've got to be bold and smart. I'm still thinking about the massive leadership void that exists at present in our list.

Players aren't falling over themselves to come, yet. But from where the club was at 2007, we've come a hell of a long way and built significant foundations to move forward. We took a hit with T$ and I'd like to see us strike back "prudently". If it's all just smoke and indecision on Goddard's part, fine.

Clearly "prudently" in this instance is subjective. Hence the differing opinions.

My opinion is there is no better time to make an approach and make it attractive. That's all I'm hoping the club will do. We may not be seen as a top club, but sometimes you've got to fake it to make it. So sell it.

Of course, there is a flipside to my thoughts on this old dee. The thing is, if our club thinks there is scope for natural improvement in our list and is hell bent in obtaining a star of the future in the Mini-Draft (ie.O'Meara, Crouch), we couldn't possibly obtain someone like BG. We would be required to throw two compo picks + to achieve a winning bid - which would rule out obtaining BG.

No problem HT at that time I have usually OD'd on single malt.

I have no problem in getting him,

I think he is just what we need.

Going to throw this one out there (have psoted similar on the "Changes to Veteran List" thread)...

Reported today that GWS are going to make a serious play for Goddard next year. You would think the money they will offer him will leave St Kilda with no option than to let him go. My proposal:

* Offer St Kilda our 2 compo picks this trade week for Goddard. If he were to go to GWS next year, that's all they'd be getting. By getting those kinds of picks now, they can activate them in next years super draft, meaning they will have to option of 3 first round picks next year, rather than just the 1.

* If changes to the Veteran List are correct, and we can put Jamar on the VL for 2012, we would have to have serious $$$ to offer him.

* Could sell it to the Saints by saying that they will be shafted next year by GWS, which they have happily done to the greater AFL community, so here's a chance for the Vic clubs to return the facvour by taking their big fish away from them.

Probably wont happen, but thougts?

• Like 1

thats lateral.

Theres a logic to it

So much comes to timing and maybe the Sainters are just a tad too raw at present to be open to such a view.

interesting

is to picks around 12 to much for a guy turning 27 early next season? yes

Is 2 x 1st round picks too much to give for a player who will be the best player on our list? NO, especially if we were going to give the same for O'Meara/Crouch.

We will get a solid 5 years out of him, e-e-easy.

Just read that the VL changes don't come in until 2013. If so, we would need to backload the ass off Goddard's contract.

• Like 1

is to picks around 12 to much for a guy turning 27 early next season? yes

Goddard's easily got 4-5 seasons in him

Goddard can play in every position on the ground, bar the ruck. He is one of the game's best players, plus he is an out and out star. I would definitely give up 2 speculative picks for him. The only problem is, should we win the lottery and he come to the MFC, he will be tagged every game and we don't have anyone to prevent it from happening.