Matthew Bate 

Demonland

He played FB and FF in the U18s

He did as well as playing as a tall midfielder.I watched him play several times as a primarily as a midfielder.Also please find extract to support my post..

Impact: Eastern Ranges star Matthew Bate, this year's TAC Cup best-and-fairest.

Picture: Craig Hughes

MATTHEW Bate, 2004 TAC Cup best-and-fairest, is tall, mobile, versatile and ready for the next level. Memo AFL clubs: hold that thought.

Bate, 17, who was awarded the Morrish Medal on Sunday night as the most outstanding under-18 player in the state, is ineligible for the November 20 national draft because of age restrictions introduced by the AFL this year.

He is seeking the league's permission to nominate for the draft. The league, with the support of Football Victoria, yesterday confirmed it would consider the letter of special consideration it received from Bate's father Michael last week, despite the request being lodged after the June 24 deadline.

The 189cm, 85kg Eastern Ranges forward and onballer, who turns 18 on May 24 next year, has fallen 24 days short of his dream.

The AFL revised the date of eligibility, on which players must have turned 17, from June 30 to April 30.

The Morrish assures that club scouts' interest in the boy from Kilsyth will go through the roof.

But Eastern Ranges coach John Lamont, who also coaches Bate at Box Hill Senior Secondary College in the school's football program, said another year with the under-18 competition wouldn't hurt Bate.

"He's probably got the maturity in his body, but he is still working to be a more consistent player," Lamont said.

"Certainly at the start of the year I would have said he needed another year.

"Now he's got some consistency, and in the space of six weeks, people start to say this kid should be nominating for the draft."

Miles Krakouer, 17, set the precedent in June when AFL operations manager Adrian Anderson granted him permission to nominate.

Krakouer missed the cut-off date by eight days, and the family cited hardship and the fact Krakouer had been preparing for the draft for the past two years.

Five other players from around Australia have since been successful.

Players affected by the new rule must be completing Year 12, and provide evidence of compelling circumstances, to have their applications considered.

Bate shook a lower back injury that he carried through the the pre-season to flourish from Round 4.

After dominating the opening part of the season in defence, Bate was rotated in the forward line.

The Round 11 move was a masterstroke that effectively netted Bate the Morrish. He kicked seven goals, and bagged 37 for the year. Round 11 was where his polling for the medal started to boom.

"I like full-forward, and lately I have been rotating on the ball, which I enjoy as well," Bate said. "I think I started playing better then."

Bate has become just the second 17-year-old to win the Morrish Medal, after Richmond's David Rodan in 2000.

Past winners include St Kilda captain Lenny Hayes (NSW/ACT), and Tigers star Nathan Brown

However, what I didn't like, was him aimlessly throwing the ball on the boot without thinking twice about giving off to a running player. It could have been because of the conditions

and he was just trying to get the ball forward, which is fair enough in wet weather footy, so I'll hold my judgement till next week.

It could also just have been adaptation to new instructions - we're in the super duper early days of a new game plan.

I thought it was a pretty encouraging start, especially considering that his career at the MFC looked all but over at the end of last year. The new lads in charge seem to think Bate is of some use, so he's another "clean slater" for me this year. Good luck to him.

For whatever reason Bailey did not rate him but he is too good not to be in our best 22 and he is as strong as an ox. I still cannot beleive that Lynden Dunn got played ahead of Bate last year.

Both Bate and Dunn have had seven years on the list and have yet to make an impression in the side. Of the 7 games Bate got last year, Dunn played in 4 of them. They weren't chasing the same position on the field but there in the same position off it.

They have 2012 to make an impression.

These players don't fall out of trees and you don't get rid of them without first trying every conceivable way to get them to improve.

Well it will be his 8th year and we will know soon enough.

It could also just have been adaptation to new instructions - we're in the super duper early days of a new game plan.

I thought it was a pretty encouraging start, especially considering that his career at the MFC looked all but over at the end of last year. The new lads in charge seem to think Bate is of some use, so he's another "clean slater" for me this year. Good luck to him.

Yes, good luck to him. He and Morton will probably be the biggest beneficiaries post-Bailey.

And I will give Bate more than 2 Practice games for judgement.

I think it's fair to judge a player's reaction/awareness levels after two games. Especially given that they have been playing AFL for 7-8 years.

That may be, but judging how a bloke will travel in a new role on the evidence of two games in that new role is a tad unfair.

In fact, judging how someone will do anything is problematic...

Bater has been with us for 7yrs now, and is only just about too turn 25, now a mature body with experience at the top level, ova ta you Bater, he's got plenty to offer,(a good cheap p/u by Neeld.....lol)

• 1 month later...

MB seems to have done everything asked of him. Big pre-season, trimmed down for more endurance and has been putting more fancied players to shame from limited opportunities from the bench. He must be wondering why MFC kept him at the end of last year to play a quarter a match behind some of the "players" we are starting with

Master has I think surprised many here - but one cannot doubt his tenacity and his strength.

When / if our younger perhaps more skilled mids develop more strength with Missen's programme, then he may be in trouble, but now he is by far the strongest and should get a lot more game time.

I think he will start next week.

Match Committee overthought when they kept Bate as sub on Subi.

And I hope they will get 'dumber' with our midfield.

Yes, Jones, Magner, Couch, and Bate in the one midfield is slow but they are the hungry mids and deserve their chance with or without Moloney in there.

I think he will start next week.

Match Committee overthought when they kept Bate as sub on Subi.

And I hope they will get 'dumber' with our midfield.

Yes, Jones, Magner, Couch, and Bate in the one midfield is slow but they are the hungry mids and deserve their chance with or without Moloney in there.

Agree ,against Richmond we need strong bodies.

Agree ,against Richmond we need strong bodies.

Against Richmond we need strong bodied, committed skilled players with endurance playing with focus and a successful game plan.

It's only Thursday so we've got plenty of time to get ready.

If Bate doesn't start this week I'll be sure the "Tank" is on.

Was confused when he was a sub in round 1 when Tynan was the obvious pick. He came on late in the game providing genuine spark and showed why he should have been on the park from the start.

Was genuinely shocked and disappointed to see him sub again in round 2.

Surely the same mistake wont be made thrice?

• Like 1

Was confused when he was a sub in round 1 when Tynan was the obvious pick. He came on late in the game providing genuine spark and showed why he should have been on the park from the start.

Was genuinely shocked and disappointed to see him sub again in round 2.

Surely the same mistake wont be made thrice?

If Bate's the sub again, then Mark Neeld is clearly an imbecile. He won't be the sub, so Neeld's reputation will be intact.

• Like 1

Against Richmond we need strong bodied, committed skilled players with endurance playing with focus and a successful game plan.

It's only Thursday so we've got plenty of time to get ready.

If Bate doesn't start this week I'll be sure the "Tank" is on.

Tanking doesn't exist. Andrew Demetriou told me so.

Edited by Good Times Grimes

He had more touches in one quarter than Brad Green did for the whole game against the Eagles.

If Neeld hung on to him because he reckons he had a role for him to play, then he has to give him a go now. Otherwise he'll be wondering why he's not lining up for the Dogs.

I think he'll match up well against the Tigers back line.