What happened in China?

DEELIRIOUS

A question was aksed to Scwab whether we lost Scully spiritually in China and then he rambled on about nothing. Does anyone have any idea what happened???

Answered on other thread by Darren. It was a private matter that had nothing to do with the MFC and CS was quite angry we had been blamed.

Edited by Nasher
Removed censored quote

From what I've heard, the trip gave Scully an insight as to the team dynamics -- relationships within the team, player personalities etc. -- and this has fueled speculation that he returned home after feeling, erm, out of place on the trip. Maybe he clashed with certain players, or perhaps didn't see certain leaders directions as especially beneficial for the team.

Each to their own.

Guest Darren Lamb

The above post and the post it is replying to are what Schwab was referring to as rubbish.

$cully came home because of a "family emergency" and strongly denied to the club that it was to talk to GWS.

There clearly is more to it that the club knows but does not wish to delve into, because as Schwab said "it'd be a breach of confidence."

We are still a professional outfit.

Believe what you want.

I know the idea of him sneaking around behind the club's back is a much juicier story, but that doesn't mean it's correct.

From what I've heard, the trip gave Scully an insight as to the team dynamics -- relationships within the team, player personalities etc. -- and this has fueled speculation that he returned home after feeling, erm, out of place on the trip. Maybe he clashed with certain players, or perhaps didn't see certain leaders directions as especially beneficial for the team.

Each to their own.

A 19 year old after one season with an AFL club has an educated opinion on team dynamics. :blink:

Beamer might've given him a crash course.

Edited by Kick it LONG

From what I've heard, some players did feel like the trip was too long, some were unhappy that what was essentially a working holiday wasn't then compensated back to them with a longer break over the pre-season, and some players also felt as though they had very little physical preparation pre and post the match against Brisbane, which was concerning for them.

Having said all that, Scully is a sook and a cry baby if that is why he left, because the other 45 players who went are still at the club.

Oh and talk about first world problems. You get a free trip to China, oh boo hoo, what a disaster for you. FFS, these damn footballers have it far too easy in life!

Edited by Jaded

If Scully felt out of place in a young team like Melbourne with a number of players in a similar age bracket some of whom had been former teammates and from his junior days is would seem very mislead to expect he would find a better fit elsewhere.

He may have been lead to believe that GWS would offer the opportunity to build a team around similar values and ideals to his own rather than fighting to change the culture of an existing club or feeling slighty out of place. This seems naive at best and arrogant at worst. There's no doubting his leadership potential given the small amounts of it we have been seen to date but it is very hard to expect he can achieve such a feat in the circumstance he going into at GWS. The same cultural issues are pervasive in AFL clubs and while they have changed over the years largely thanks to the media's appetite for scandals the culture of footy clubs reflects much of the culture of Australia (and the communities and clubs where players grow up) which are so entrenched that incremental change is the best you can really aspire to.

I think the its a sign of one's character to confront these challenges rather than seeking to taken the first opportunity to try your luck elsewhere in the search for greener pastures. Sure the challenges facing Tom at GWS will still be immense and he will now have the pressure of leading a young team and managing his own injury issues with the knowledge he is one of the highest paid players in the league.

But I think Jack Trengove trumped him in spades when he signed up in the face of great adversity and I think that is exactly the kind of leader we need at our club and it's great that the supporters recognise it as such.

Edited by Ascobar

But I think Jack Trengove trumped him in spades when he signed up in the face of great adversity and I think that is exactly the kind of characters we need at our club.

You can say that again. Trengove knew what he was doing, and is obviously highly committed to the club. Next captain for sure.

Tom came home because his sister who he was staying with at their new pad in Malvern was struggling. He is a homebody and it took alot for the club to get him out of his comfort zone in the first place.

Unbeknown to us his family's pressure on him a year later not to look a gift horse in the mouth has led to this.

Take it or leave it - this is the truth.

I always thought this was due to an illness in the family. It's been said before but if that was enough for him to take off then no one would be left at Carlton!

I thought I saw a tweet that mentioned something about illness, but in this case it may have been drink related and involving an exceptionally tall player calling for his friend Ralph while standing over a prone (possibly sleeping?) Tom Scully. No idea if there is any truth to it, but it makes a good story none-the-less.

Tom came home because his sister who he was staying with at their new pad in Malvern was struggling. He is a homebody and it took alot for the club to get him out of his comfort zone in the first place.

Unbeknown to us his family's pressure on him a year later not to look a gift horse in the mouth has led to this.

Take it or leave it - this is the truth.

And this is why 20 year olds shouldn't be given such ridiculous amounts of money, because they are too dumb and weak to make their own calls.

If his parents pressured him to take the money then his parents clearly are more concerned about their welfare than his own. Great parents! :rolleyes:

And this is why 20 year olds shouldn't be given such ridiculous amounts of money, because they are too dumb and weak to make their own calls.

If his parents pressured him to take the money then his parents clearly are more concerned about their welfare than his own. Great parents! :rolleyes:

Step away from the keyboard.

Tom Scully came home because his dad got depression as Tom was over in China eating all the nice food and Mr Scully's favourite food is Dim Sims.

Let's be honest we'll never know if the rumours were true or if Schwab is telling the truth and Scully did have a personal reason to come home. I certainly don't want Schwab to break Scully's confidence even now he has gone. So we'll probably never know, not that I even care.

I can only tell you what I know - it does not hurt for it to come out now. It was a family decision not a Tom Scully one.

His injury history had a lot to do with it.- None of us would look that $ in the eye and walk away from it- as I said won't stop me giving it to him in spades.

Family is one-eyed Richmond - we are MFC the club that tanked to ensnare him.

LOL

I can only tell you what I know - it does not hurt for it to come out now. It was a family decision not a Tom Scully one.

His injury history had a lot to do with it.- None of us would look that $ in the eye and walk away from it- as I said won't stop me giving it to him in spades.

Family is one-eyed Richmond - we are MFC the club that tanked to ensnare him.

LOL

I have seen this point brought up a few times....his family are one eyed Richmond? So what? Judd's are one eyed Melbourne. Is he playing for us?

There's no doubting his leadership potential...

Why? I doubt it. What evidence have you seen?

But I think Jack Trengove trumped him in spades when he signed up in the face of great adversity and I think that is exactly the kind of leader we need at our club and it's great that the supporters recognise it as such.

Ah, Trengove on the other hand has shown leadership ability in spades as you say, on-field where we've all seen it, and by his loyalty and commitment to MFC as examples to all around him (except those with $$$ in their eyes, it seems).

Why? I doubt it. What evidence have you seen?

Ah, Trengove on the other hand has shown leadership ability in spades as you say, on-field where we've all seen it, and by his loyalty and commitment to MFC as examples to all around him (except those with $$$ in their eyes, it seems).

Trenners has shown remarkable loyalty