Ross Lyon

Grandson of a gun

I was starting to think along those same lines Re RLyon & the said proposal. I still have a sneaking suspicion that we've been into MM since around April/May? I hope not.for mine, the pies don't play enough hard physical brand footy, that I'd like Us to do.

I prefer the teams style liike the Matthews Lions/ the Hawks style/ & the Cats way around.

I do Not like the Tight floods & presses of the Saints & the Pies. I hope we don't go this way. Bring back some Biffo!

AFL loves biffo. Big on sling tackles and hands anywhere near a players back as well.

I really hate winning footy games as well, so lets just ignore modern tactics...yeahhhhhhh.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AFL loves biffo. Big on sling tackles and hands anywhere near a players back as well.

I really hate winning footy games as well, so lets just ignore modern tactics...yeahhhhhhh.

I do not give a rats what method we use.

I just want to win.

Has anything official come out? All I have heard is St.Kilda expect he will be there.... nothing from Ross.

Am I being too hopeful?

Doesn't look like much will be said today about it. From some of the articles I have read they suggested that cos he has a year to play on his contract that they don't have to do anything except say through their management that they have agreed to coach next year, and over the next few days/weeks will work on the details regarding the contract extension (I presume a handshake deal for the length has already been determined)

It feels like more should be coming out in the media than is actually being played out, but I guess cos Lyon isn't out of contract it's not urgent in anyway from his or the Saints view now. The urgency came from the MFC to land him

If we have to go the untried path, I don't like the look of the next couple of years.

It wasn't so long ago that Ross Lyon and Alistair Clarkson were just "highly rated assistants". The next great coach will have to come from somewhere and this year's batch looks as good as any. Heck, it was less than ten years ago that Paul Roos was Rocket Eade's right hand man. By all reports this year's bunch of "untried" coaches-to-be is as good as any.

Of course it could all go to poo (it could also go to poo with Lyon or Malthouse in charge), but I don't see any reason to be especially pessimistic about it.

Am I the only one out there that thinks we are in a world of hurt if we can't land RLyon or Malthouse?

If we have to go the untried path, I don't like the look of the next couple of years.

It is not "sky falling" stuff, just being honest!

I think if anything the last few years has shown that there's some great coaching talent out there. They just need to be given a chance.

Could anyone have done a better job than Scott at Geelong this year?

Am I the only one out there that thinks we are in a world of hurt if we can't land RLyon or Malthouse?

While I'd prefer a Malthouse or R. Lyon we wont be in a world of hurt with an untried coach as long as we give them a good senior assitant.

Say we get a Neeld or Burns as senior coach with an Craig, Eade, Pagan or Laidley as senior assistant.

Anyone find this strange?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/adelaide-goes-on-lyon-hunt/story-e6frecoc-1226136232908

Not sure if they are a little slow on the uptake.... I found it an odd article to release the day after he has apparently agreed to stay at the Saints.

It wasn't so long ago that Ross Lyon and Alistair Clarkson were just "highly rated assistants". The next great coach will have to come from somewhere and this year's batch looks as good as any. Heck, it was less than ten years ago that Paul Roos was Rocket Eade's right hand man. By all reports this year's bunch of "untried" coaches-to-be is as good as any.

Of course it could all go to poo (it could also go to poo with Lyon or Malthouse in charge), but I don't see any reason to be especially pessimistic about it.

The difference between the likes of Clarkson and RLyon is the lists that they took over. Hawthorn were probably a year or two ahead of our development, where RLyon walked straight in to St Kilda with a pretty established midfield a star key forward. The bloke that takes over our list are starting further back than those 2.

I think if anything the last few years has shown that there's some great coaching talent out there. They just need to be given a chance.

Could anyone have done a better job than Scott at Geelong this year?

I think I would be able to coach Geelong and still get them to finals. I'm yet to be convinced that Scott has got it - will reserve my judgement after some of these older players retire. I wont have to wait too long.

We don't need a R Lyon or Malthouse, just a tough no [censored] coach. And a good team of Assistant coaches to back him up. Next year will be a good year for this club.

The hardest part is finding these good assistant coaches, and making them want to come to Melbourne, especially to work underneath an untried coach. If I were an assistant, I'd want to be working under the best possible. But, if you're like Brian Royal, and happy to be an assistant for your career, then maybe that's what we'd attract (which some know my opinion of Royal).

While I'd prefer a Malthouse or R. Lyon we wont be in a world of hurt with an untried coach as long as we give them a good senior assitant.

Say we get a Neeld or Burns as senior coach with an Craig, Eade, Pagan or Laidley as senior assistant.

This is the light at the end of the tunnel if we can pull somehting like this off. My personal order would be 1. Pagan, 2. Craig, 3. Eade, 4. Anyone other than Laidley.

Mark Neeld has been very successful and is Mick Malthouse's right hand man taking on a major roll since the start of 2010 as head assistant and midfield coach.

It is a well known fact in footy circles that alot of the current Collingwood gameplan was was created by Malthouse and head assistant Mark Neeld.

This is the man we should be chasing. Why waste our time chasing the rainbow? We will not land a big fish. (I wish that wasn't true)

Chris Judd

Robbie Warnock

Shaun Burgoyne

Alistair Clarkson

(presumably Ross Lyon and Mick Malthouse)

It doesn't happen for us, perhaps Mark Neeld could come in from the Collingwood culture, change ours and make us relevant.

For some reason, I am warming to the idea of Burns/Craig due, though Malthouse would be fantastic!

Agree with Burns/Craig would be a good outcome, but I still have a bit of a hollow feeling that the club was public announcing it's desire to lure an experienced coach from another club, and we fell short...

Mark Neeld has been very successful and is Mick Malthouse's right hand man taking on a major roll since the start of 2010 as head assistant and midfield coach.

It is a well known fact in footy circles that alot of the current Collingwood gameplan was was created by Malthouse and head assistant Mark Neeld.

Just for perspective sake, Sanderson at Geelong has been part of two premierships (and a grand final and a preliminary final) under Bomber Thompson, and this year (possibly/probably?) another premiership under Chris Scott - not a bad effort!

Just for perspective sake, Sanderson at Geelong has been part of two premierships (and a grand final and a preliminary final) under Bomber Thompson, and this year (possibly/probably?) another premiership under Chris Scott - not a bad effort!

Exactly..... Sanderson and Neeld would be amazing appointments in my opinion.

Hopefully with a senior assistant like Dean Laidley with them.

Billy I wouldnt discount Williams or to a lessor extent Thompson and Roos. IMO Gary Lyon seems very satisfied with himself/relaxed when ever he is asked about the coaching gig. Me thinks he knows who it is (me hopes).

Billy I wouldnt discount Williams or to a lessor extent Thompson and Roos. IMO Gary Lyon seems very satisfied with himself/relaxed when ever he is asked about the coaching gig. Me thinks he knows who it is (me hopes).

True but the guy is also made of stone. I haven't seen him give away any information that he didn't want to.

All the articles about RL staying a saint, yet still no word from the man himself. Not even a single quote.

I haven't given up hope yet....

i havent seen anything on ross lyon- saints website has one article from nettlefold saying he's required, then the age speculating his manager told the club he 'intends' to honour his contract...

i heard same whispers yesterday that garry was telling someone it was a done deal.

stil a lot of legs left in this until ross comes out himself i reckon!

Nor have I heard it, or read it quoted by Ross himself.

It has been reported that he will see out the rest of his contract with the Aints - 2012 season.

I agree that it's odd not to have been published on the the club website. Surely, if you were a Saints supporter wanting confirmation that's one of the first places to look.

Is this still simmering?

Nor have I heard it, or read it quoted by Ross himself.

It has been reported that he will see out the rest of his contract with the Aints - 2012 season.

I agree that it's odd not to have been published on the the club website. Surely, if you were a Saints supporter wanting confirmation that's one of the first places to look.

Is this still simmering?

They are just working out the details.

IMO it was never RL

They are just working out the details.

IMO it was never RL

Ah, yes...

Time is just nature's way to keep everything from happening at once.

or it could be a decoy for ross lyon- has anyone seen this video footage from mick?

http://one.com.au/video.htm?tags=sport:code!AFL

pg 2 afl videos- in 'time on debate', listen to what mick says about which teams make finals from outside the 8 next year