A big day for our SA boys

norwood_demon

Sunday's game will be the first AFL match at Adelaide Oval. Just as the MCG is hallowed turf in Melbourne, the Adelaide Oval is the true sporting heart of this city (Bradman's home ground, the battleground where Bert Oldfield was struck during the Bodyline Series, the site of the famous last stand when Kline-Mackay batted Australia to a draw against the WI, and the old home of great SANFL GFs & SA-Vic grudge matches).

MFC will be bringing five South Australians to this celebration, all key figures in our team: Jack Trengove (our captain in waiting; ex Sturt), Mark Jamar (ex N Adelaide), Jared Rivers (ex N Adelaide) and Luke Tapscott (ex N Adelaide). Last but not least, Todd Viney (our interim coach) is ex-Sturt. In fact, this diehard SA-Demon cannot help but mention the vague possibility that MFC could have South Australians as coach & captain.

I would make one suggestion to the Club. I am unaware of any retirements (?) So let these SA boys lead the team onto the field on Sunday. It would be an honour and a thrill for them. I just think it would be a fantastic gesture particularly to Jack Trengove, who has promptly signed a long contract to stay at MFC. It would just say thanks & here's your chance to lead your team onto that hallowed turf on a very special day in the history of South Australia. And for the non-Port-supporting locals, who comprise 80% of the SA population that historically & vehemently detest Port, it would galvanise them to barrack even harder for us.

Good luck to our SA boys. Go Dees!

Edited by norwood_demon

Sunday's game will be the first AFL match at Adelaide Oval. Just as the MCG is hallowed turf in Melbourne, the Adelaide Oval is the true sporting heart of this city (Bradman's home ground, the battleground where Bert Oldfield was struck during the Bodyline Series, the site of the famous last stand when Kline-Mackay batted Australia to a draw against the WI, and the old home of great SANFL GFs & SA-Vic grudge matches).

MFC will be bringing five South Australians to this celebration, all key figures in our team: Jack Trengove (our captain in waiting; ex Sturt), Mark Jamar (ex N Adelaide), Jared Rivers (ex N Adelaide) and Luke Tapscott (ex N Adelaide). Last but not least, Todd Viney (our interim coach) is ex-Sturt. In fact, this diehard SA-Demon cannot help but mention the vague possibility that MFC could have South Australians as coach & captain.

I would make one suggestion to the Club. I am unaware of any retirements (?) So let these SA boys lead the team onto the field on Sunday. It would be an honour and a thrill for them. I just think it would be a fantastic gesture particularly to Jack Trengove, who has promptly signed a long contract to stay at MFC. It would just say thanks & here's your chance to lead your team onto that hallowed turf on a very special day in the history of South Australia. And for the non-Port-supporting locals, who comprise 80% of the SA population that historically & vehemently detest Port, it would galvanise them to barrack even harder for us.

Good luck to our SA boys. Go Dees!

Would love to see that happen!

It would be good to see Tommy Mcnamara get another run too.

If memory serves me right he is a South Adelaide boy.

Bad idea. We want them to think MELBOURNE and the MCG is their home now and the only special place for them is to lead the Dees out onto the G on grand final day.