Dean Bailey has been sacked

EVIL DEE

And one last thing... please don't flirt with Malthouse. Can't stand his self-serving arrogance and don't want to support a team he's got anything to do with. Viney or Garry Lyon would do nicely.

Would it matter if he led us to a premiership? I think not....

That's because very few coaches have had such a humiliatingly large loss. In fact, Carl Ditterich is the only other one ;)

Spot on. That was what I tried to say - unless it was a complete aberration, a loss as humiliating as that is going to cost a coach. And yet, there are many more than DB who SHOULD shoulder some of the blame.

I have a lot more respect for S. West than Mahoney and especially Royal who was a throw back who we decided to give a second chance to help assist our backline good job he did indeed.

I'd keep S. West and Viney out of our coaching staff IMHO.

I get why you are saying that but really we need to assume all assistants are to blame.

The mids haven't progressed this year. Without Moloney we would be really struggling.

Just because Westy is a good bloke and was a great player doesn't mean he's a great coach. It's entirely an assumption.

He really has no proven results. None of the current coaching panel do.

Just got an interesting email...

From my source Viney's been offered the caretaker but not confirmed if he said yes. Further Green is apparently taking it very personally.

If he feels so bad he should do the right thing for the club tomorrow and stand down as Captain. I was one who applauded him getting the gig but he has let us down all year, continuously! Moloney should be handed the captaincy immediately if we want to fantasize about playing finals this year!

Right Call at right time.

Our game plan has been heavily criticized and failed against the best teams.

And Folks thats Baileys Fault.

I'm not sure Matthews is cut out for coaching these days, given his lack of focus on tactics.

Motivator and tactician. He is the number 1 going around. 3 years just watching, he would be fresh and informed. Anyhow, Mathews malthouse and viney are 3 bloody good options. I can't wait for Saturday. I reckon we will play like demons. I hope viney gets the gig, wins all games and coaches his son into a premiership. Fairytale

I get why you are saying that but really we need to assume all assistants are to blame.

The mids haven't progressed this year. Without Moloney we would be really struggling.

Just because Westy is a good bloke and was a great player doesn't mean he's a great coach. It's entirely an assumption.

He really has no proven results. None of the current coaching panel do.

Fair cop mate. You've got a point there. I think the best thing out of this is that we should be looking at everybody's role at the club and making some tough judgement calls on whether people are up to doing their job or not.

I hope like hell the board have a replacement; ie plan B, in place.

If its to be Viney, for example, I hope they asked him first.

Ed: if you announce a sacking, surely you announce the (interim) replacement at the same time.

Edited by Mono

DB did say that the board would do what's best for the club, and they did. Now they can trial an assistant thus conducting a 5 week job interview while they scratch their heads working out who to approach for next year, how they'll do it and what they can offer. We need a Malcolm Blight type. Confident, has high expectations of his players, could teach AND coach and had that, "it's a team game, do it my way" approach. Don't know who the best option is. At the end of the day, all the best ones are not available (MM, PR and AC).

The emotional yet easy part is out of the way, now it's time to set the club's destiny, good or bad.

Dont feel sorry for Dean, this is AFL Football, All coaches get sacked or quit.

He had 4 yrs and basically didn't advance us at all.

Thats Life.

The Club is more important, now we can move on, cause every time we would have a big loss, it would have continued.

Some interesting tweets. They are wondering if Dean Bailey will spill the beans whether we tanked 08/09. Could open a can of worms

I'd suggest there are some very nervous people at Melbourne waiting to see if he will do just that.

If he does, today's bloodletting will only be the entree of what's to come.

Some interesting tweets. They are wondering if Dean Bailey will spill the beans whether we tanked 08/09. Could open a can of worms

I don't think his positional moves in the Jordan McMahon game could have been any worse than his use of Jurrah and Watts from the opening bounce yesterday.

I had said that Bailey should coach out the year but I should have put the rider that he had to have had the perception that he could keep his job.

With that gone, we have made the right decision.

Thanks go to Dean who has given us the talent to challenge with his unselfish development.

I am dreading the news about Schwab and Connols, they need to rip off the bandaid and not have any slow kills.

(sigh)

I'd suggest there are some very nervous people at Melbourne waiting to see if he will do just that.

If he does, today's bloodletting will only be the entree of what's to come.

This is being a bit silly. Nobody will be concerned about any such thing. Why would Dean do that? He'd be outing himself as the chief architect of a massive rort. He could forget about any jobs in the footy industry for the rest of his life.

Doesn't strike me as that sort of guy.

He has always gone about his job with the utmost dignity and humility, even in the face of staunch criticism.

Firstly, I want to make it clear that I think the right decision has been made. Dean Bailey is not the right man to coach this list going forward.

I think Dean has done a very good job of re-building the list from scratch, to the point where the current group of players has the potential and the opportunity to embark on a prolonged period of success - under the right tutelage.

What am I disappointed in however, is the way in which Dean has been relieved of his post. Hardly 24 hours after what was, admittedly, a horrendous on-field performance. The fact that 'crisis talks' were called so soon after the event disappoints me. Emotions are still charged, Melbourne people have fresh anger, and business decisions should never made when such emotion is involved. Look at the Adelaide situation. They played Friday night, had a shocking result, and mid-week the media were alerted to the change.

The Board should have waited a couple of days for the hysteria to die down, let themselves calm down, take a deep breath and speak about the current situation with clear heads. That is basic business principles, and lets not kid ourselves, this is a business. I would expect better from a group of highly educated figureheads.

While I think the right decision has been made, I am disappointed in the way in which it was done.

Needless to say, there are aspects of this club that I am disillusioned with at the moment.

Finally - thank you Dean Bailey for 4 years of tireless effort. While others might not appreciate what you did, I do. I hope you get another crack at coaching down the track somewhere.

Good post.

And one last thing... please don't flirt with Malthouse. Can't stand his self-serving arrogance and don't want to support a team he's got anything to do with. Viney or Garry Lyon would do nicely.

Agreed that he's arrogant and full of himself, but boy I'd give my left nut to have him at the MFC. No chance in he'll that it'd happen thOugh. We really don't have the resources or money to support him and the FD that he'd be used too. Clarkson would also be fantastic but I don't see why he'd leave the HFC for our basketcase of a club.

Yeah, he's got Alzheimer's & Parkinson's as well, not to mention suffering from concussion syndrome.

Oh, and he's too 'Old'. & he's ugly as well. Yeah, scrap him.

Being tough is not enough.

At least you're on the money with the last line.

This is being a bit silly. Nobody will be concerned about any such thing. Why would Dean do that? He'd be outing himself as the chief architect of a massive rort. He could forget about any jobs in the footy industry for the rest of his life.

You never know in these situations. Might want to take a few scalps down with him. And who'd blame him.

He may, he may not. That would be unsettling enough for anyone involved.