Mr Consistency ---The Forgotten Man

jayceebee31

You're the second person (UTAH was the other) in this thread to say he was a bit off last year. It's funny, because as I recall it, everyone was calling for his head the year before last (2009) and then we were all impressed with the big step up he made last year... it was no coincidence that he was promoted to the leadership group this year.

Then again, maybe senile dementia is finally catching up with me.

His leadership and his onfield performance are not necessarily intertwined, as it is well known that he really pushes the kids at training and sets a fantastic example by doing so. I do believe last year wasn't his best, but I also qualified that in an earlier post saying that I believe this was more due to him recieving terrible delivery and getting caught out due to said terrible delivery. It is no coincidence that this year, with better skills around him, he has been able to be much more effective with the ball. I know our results have been poor, but I reckon our skills have definitely been better this year. I reckon the positives for Jonesy outweigh any negatives by a country mile, and look forward to cheering him on and watching him improve for years to come. Also, as for the senile dementia, go easy on yourself, as it's never been so obvious that opinions on players performances differ drastically on this site :lol:

Have always loved the chunk, he just needed to make some mental adjustments and temper his attacking tendencies slightly. I have been writing this for a couple of years, occasionally I get something right.

He benefits from not being the big banana and doesn't feel the need to win games single handedly.

i reckon he will continue to improve and be more than the C grader that some touted was all he would ever be. If we win a flag with thid list he will be there.

The one huge tick on him ( and implied in the thread) - is he has really good games but there is not much drop off to his games where he isnt in the top 5. He rarely puts in a shocker. If the whole team had less width between best and worst performances our results would be a lot better

If Jones gets squeezed out of the team then we'll have one hell of a midfield.

A very true and valid point..but surely we could keep him as a sub....however, one major point we all have to consider--he is Mr Consistency..all others STILL have to develop into one...and just some may never make it..HE HAS...and the job he & Beamer does with the 1st year recruits at W'Bool is just outstanding..could even become captain later on...similar to Junior and how he developed as a leader, except the Jones boy has done it years earlier..

Edited by jayceebee31

A very true and valid point..but surely we could keep him as a sub....however, one major point we all have to consider--he is Mr Consistency..all others STILL have to develop into one...and just some may never make it..HE HAS...and the job he & Beamer does with the 1st year recruits at W'Bool is just outstanding..could even become captain later on...similar to Junior and how he developed as a leader, except the Jones boy has done it years earlier..

I think he's improved this year. I'm sure he's enjoying scully, trengoe and beamer taking the tags. Out of the leadership group he is certainly performing the best. Beamer has been down against the good sides.

He still has plenty of room to improve and he's heading in the right direction.

I think he's improved this year. I'm sure he's enjoying scully, trengoe and beamer taking the tags. Out of the leadership group he is certainly performing the best. Beamer has been down against the good sides.

He still has plenty of room to improve and he's heading in the right direction.

Re your point (improvement),I agree.And that is one major point about our very young list...basically, Green,Davey & Jamar may have limited continuous improvement- the rest nearly the sky...but the Jones boy is doing it and playing consistently.

Given that he is currently 23, your assessment may be right, but I would suggest that his career hasn't stalled

I was trying to come up with a better word than stalled. I was going to go with plateaued. But both imply that when he reaches this point, he won't improve again. Like I said, I always expected that his natural game of busting through packs would actually WORK when he finally is bigger than everyone else. Which will happen in the next few years as the big scary sides (Cats, Hawks, Saints, Dogs) are forced to rebuild. My point was that I was kind of expecting it to happen now. He's definitely freed up with the inclusion of Scully and Trengove, but I expected perhaps a bit more impact on games. Especially since he's now not the first line of defence when the opposition are cannoning into him running through the midfield. From my limited experience, it's SO much easier to go in hard and work your legs to come out the other side clean when you know you're not the first and last player doing it. It's not a sleight on him. He's still a good player....

If Jones gets squeezed out of the team then we'll have one hell of a midfield.

That's the idea!

The one huge tick on him ( and implied in the thread) - is he has really good games but there is not much drop off to his games where he isnt in the top 5.

The other is that he's not injury prone. In fact, I would say his incredible durability is what's been his best feature so far. How many can boast that at 23? Selwood?

Nathan Jones, you are my rock.

Talk about heart and soul, this guy is it. He will never be our best player, but he will never be our worst.

Would not mind having another 2-3 Nathan Jones types running around.

I don't have the numbers, but I reckon his clanger count and poor decisions are well down over the last couple of months, and therein lies the difference between the Jonesy we love, and the one who has sometimes frustrated the hell out of some of us. Well done Chunk, and keep up the good work!

This ^^^^

Ive been as critical as any of Jonesy over the time but he seems to be polishing his act quite a bit. Still accounts for some teeth gnashing clangers but his vision has improved and doesnt panic with ball nearly as much.

Not quite there yet...but on the way...Good effort

I've taken to calling him 'twinkletoes', in sheer shock that he has learnt to get some sidestepping and shimmying going instead of just crashing through.

A player with a real drive to improve and probably our most consistent for the year.

Glad he's in the formal leadership group as well as being a general leading presence.

Jones could turn out to be our next best stopper whilst being an attacking midfielder -I hope he gets the role of tagging Mitchell this week.

Last year he was playing a lot of run with roles, as we were starting to play our newbies and they were very green, with mistakes, so you'd need senior players to mop up the mess & clean up after them.

Jonesy was quite good but probably overtried.

This Year he has gone on to a new level, real leadership from the JonesBoy.

Love Ya work Chunk Jones..always have. Gives 110% even when things aern't going his way.

If the MFC do win the Grail whilst Jonesy is playing..The Roar around the 'G when he collects his medallion will be Huge.

C Grade Midfielder is an insult that some on here Tag him with.

Last year he was playing a lot of run with roles, as we were starting to play our newbies and they were very green, with mistakes, so you'd need senior players to mop up the mess & clean up after them.

Jonesy was quite good but probably overtried.

This Year he has gone on to a new level, real leadership from the JonesBoy.

Very well stated-