• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tom Scully

What's going to happen on Sunday?

Will Scully be greeted with cheers, silence or boos when he gets the footy and goes for a gallop?

I have a feeling he'll be booed, which may eradicate any lingering doubts he has about relocating! Would be disappoint me greatly (even though I'm looking forward to booing him LOUDLY next year).

Thoughts?

And here lies the issue. What an awful situation his management have created here. If they plan on him being a long-term Melbourne player, they are painting him in a terrible light to those that should be supporting him. What management would allow a situation like that to play out? My only answer to that is a management that couldn't care less what Melbourne supporters think of their player, because he won't be a Melbourne player for much longer. I can't think of many uglier or disapointing situations playing out in the years that I have followed our great club.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Thomo

Jack is incredibly impressive, but it's unfair that he's having to take the heat for Scully in front of the media.

I'm strongly in the “we can't influence anything from a computer, and I have no idea if he will stay or go, and think he and the club deserve respect during this period” camp. But this is a pretty good point.

It is Scully’s decision, and he is entitled to conduct his negotiations within the timeframe that he has set out. I don’t think that the club should be giving him ultimatums, but he should have to carry the responsibility in the media like any other player. The club is shielding him from the media feeding frenzy, which is good for him, but unfair on the other players who have to deal with the speculation while he is given a free ride.

If Scully is waiting to the end of the season to make a decision (which he is entitled to), he should be the one burdened with the responsibility of dealing with the media speculation that it brings.

Edited by Thomo

I think you will find it is a bit of both. I grew up at a time when players were all amateurs and footy was played by passionate people and watched by equally passionate supporters; the big difference was that at that time players all worked day jobs and footy was a part time occupation. These days the supporters are no doubt just as passionate as ever about their footy, but for the players it is now a full time job with a very limited employment period and they have to build their entire futures around it; so of course priorities have changed and a lot of the new generation of footballers, although no doubt still passionate about their footy, have to consider their earning capacity as well.Club loyalty went out the window with the introduction of the draft, so unless you can find players like Moloney who grew up supporting the club, you can forget all about these romantic notions of players bleeding red and blue from day one (and it must not be forgotten that Tom has played less than 30 games for the Dees) - sure they will no doubt develop a genuine love of the club over time, but in the first couple of years, highly unlikely. Additionally a number one pick in the draft is never going to feel grateful to the club that picks them, because there are 18 clubs who would all pick that player if they were given the chance.Finally, and I know you haven't done this, there are posters here who believe Tom is holding the club to ransom and that he is creating instability and affecting the club's performance. Well, it has to be remembered that we are talking about a young kid who is pretty much just out of school with little or no life experience, and we are talking about a kid who is put in the "care" of a mercenary management group. I cannot even begin to imagine the pressure he must be under, and I would never expect him to make such a life changing decision in a matter of days or even weeks - and please, no one give me that rubbish about him having had all year to think about this... it simply isn't true as the two parties have only very recently made official offers with dollar figures attached. Fortunately for Tom, the club understands his situation and are seemingly happy for him to take all of the time he needs to reach his decision. I have no doubts that they made their offer when they did so that it would be brought to a head, and so that Tom could have some breathing space before he announces his next move - the club would have been severely disadvantaged if they waited until the 11th hour to table their offer as it would have put Tom under far too much pressure as he would not have had the time to properly assess his options.

Love everything you said here HT. Brilliant post.

This is sure to disappoint a few people on here who are certain this whole saga is affecting the playing group.

Cue "propaganda" comments.

What's going to happen on Sunday?Will Scully be greeted with cheers, silence or boos when he gets the footy and goes for a gallop?I have a feeling he'll be booed, which may eradicate any lingering doubts he has about relocating! Would be disappoint me greatly (even though I'm looking forward to booing him LOUDLY next year).Thoughts?

Anyone boos Scully on Sunday, then they are a dead set goose. What a way to get rid of him. Imagine if he even read some of the trollop offered up on this thread about him, surely that alone would make up his mind, and if he had read some of this, I could hardly blame him.

I can't begin to say what trashy journalism both the Sheean and Clark artilces were (Herald Sun can reveal... - oh come on), i mean journalism is pretty weak in footy these days but surely things couldn't be this bad? Could they?

Yes unfortunately. Check this link (from the online HUN Sheean article about sculls to GWS mind you). Same article more or less but on Foxtel, but check the headline! But of more interest is the video grab. Hilarious how the drivel in the article is stated as complete and utter fact by the news reader, without there being a shred of evidence.

Crazy how the media is feeding of itself these days with the constant 24/7 need for content - now matter how spurious - and how if rubbish is repeated more than once it becomes media fact. Just shocking journalism.

Anyway view and weep:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/melbourne-demons-should-concede-the-race-for-tom-scully-because-hes-off-to-greater-western-sydney/story-e6frf3e3-1226098763049

Edited by binman

As much as I love the way Scully goes about his game, and I am sure he is going to be a great player, for the sake of the MFC I don't think it will be the end of the world if he were to leave.

If Scully stays, and provided we don't offload someone like Morton to GWS, imo wouldn't GWS put the blow torch on Trengrove next year when his contract runs out knowing that Melbourne have no room left in there salary cap.

Listening to GWS recruiters talk about there strategy, I believe part of this process is to inflate clubs salary caps this year, and poach the big guns next year. The 2 year recruiting window used correctly is a fantastic marketing opportunity for playing as many yourng kids as possible when wins don't matter, and gives potential guns (ie. Pendlebury) to assess just how strong GWS may or may not be.

I think Melbourne are still a couple of years away from being a top 4 side, thus any high compensation we get will just add to our depth, which will be a huge advantage over the next 5 years. Furthermore I would think the only 'fair' compensation for Scully would include a No.1 draft pick, otherwise it would be the equivelant of trading the No.1 pick for pick 17 & 18 in a draft at best which no club would ever seriously consider. Sentiment aside, Scully maybe the best thing to have happened to Melbourne since 1964, but merely for the fact that in 2 years we were able to trade a No. 1 pick for a No.1 and a later pick (say No. 20), of which the latter is then traded back to GWS to secure a top 5 potential 17year old.

The MFC should perhaps consider withdrawing Scully's offer and spending it on Jack Trengove ($3M over 5 years). He's more deserving IMO.

The MFC should then hunt two first round compensation picks with a ferocity not ever witnessed before.

Good Bye and Good luck. If he stays now, Ill be surprised.

Ive moved on.

The MFC should perhaps consider withdrawing Scully's offer and spending it on Jack Trengove ($3M over 5 years). He's more deserving IMO.

The MFC should then hunt two first round compensation picks with a ferocity not ever witnessed before.

It's in the rules so I don't know how ferocious we have to be...

And I'm guessing you were being flippant with the withdraw of contract comment?

Is it time for a Demonland poll? ie will skull go or stay? might end this thread finally. Thoughts? (a poll on a poll?)

It won't end it.

But as long as the tense is correct (ie. 'Will Tom go?' rather than 'Is Tom gone?') then it should be fine.

so you want to believe some that is written but not all - there are some clauses in his contract that "Sources" say he is unhappy with ? they cant still be negotiated ? You think there is no more to come. You can categorically state that MFC offer is done and dusted ? You see here is the thing - if i was his manager ( greedy and blood sucking) i would say - the longer this thing goes on the more loose change or perks are gonna fall out of the pocket - can i get your confirmation from that the contract on the table for Scully is done and finished there aint no more ?

On Green He said he was offered more at Collingwood - the problem is he would have found it hard to get there without trading. So Greens contract was a fine balancing act and Scullys isnt - MFC have already raised the ante once but you are sure its final now - nothing more can be done.

Wow - I need the Hun to start quoting you - you are well in the inner sanctum as to what is going on

I don't think Green ever wanted to leave the club, even though he was left out of the leadership group and probably felt he shouldn't have been. The number of Red Herrings being thrown about here is amazing; we are comparing Scully with Sylvia, Green and some of the Collingwood players when his case is unique and has absolutely nothing in common with the others.

Scully has been offered a contract about twice what he is worth to stay at the club, he has been offered a contract that is more than 3 times what he is worth to go to GWS; his decision is whether to take twice or three times his value. Sylvia has been offered a contract below what he thinks he's worth, as was Green, and it is up to the club to pay a fair market rate or lose Sylvia.

Personally I couldn't give a flying fig if Tom Scully stays or goes and in fact I'm a little concerned that Tom is only as good as he "supposedly" is because of his super fitness and his capacity to get to so many contests, to be quote honest his football skills are not great and I've seen him cough up the ball heaps of times and still get lauded by the press and the supporters. If it was another player he would be caned for his disposal but because he is such a relatively big name he gets away with it. He has been tagged out of the last two games and if he goes to GWS he will have to learn how to live with this because he will be the number one target each week and he won't get much support from the kids around him. It's interesting that the Melbourne players haven't done much to assist him break the tag over the last couple of weeks.

Give me a couple of first round picks that can deliver the ball well by foot and hand and I'll be more than happy.

Personally I couldn't give a flying fig if Tom Scully stays or goes and in fact I'm a little concerned that Tom is only as good as he "supposedly" is because of his super fitness and his capacity to get to so many contests, to be quote honest his football skills are not great and I've seen him cough up the ball heaps of times and still get lauded by the press and the supporters. If it was another player he would be caned for his disposal but because he is such a relatively big name he gets away with it. He has been tagged out of the last two games and if he goes to GWS he will have to learn how to live with this because he will be the number one target each week and he won't get much support from the kids around him. It's interesting that the Melbourne players haven't done much to assist him break the tag over the last couple of weeks.

Give me a couple of first round picks that can deliver the ball well by foot and hand and I'll be more than happy.

Yeah, prime trade material...

He's suddenly a mug, whose teammates no longer trust him - how is that for a red herring...

+1 I hope no one does either. I mean if I was scully and I read and heard what our so called 'supporters' (small amount of people, although alot more lately) are saying, I'd up and go to GWS happily.

Scully has a serious case for on-line bullying, with these threads.....

would much prefer Scully stayed, than have any compensation that the AFL will give us,

Hope he stays.

I can't begin to say what trashy journalism both the Sheean and Clark artilces were (Herald Sun can reveal... - oh come on), i mean journalism is pretty weak in footy these days but surely things couldn't be this bad? Could they?

Yes unfortunately. Check this link (from the online HUN Sheean article about sculls to GWS mind you). Same article more or less but on Foxtel, but check the headline! But of more interest is the video grab. Hilarious how the drivel in the article is stated as complete and utter fact by the news reader, without there being a shred of evidence.

Crazy how the media is feeding of itself these days with the constant 24/7 need for content - now matter how spurious - and how if rubbish is repeated more than once it becomes media fact. Just shocking journalism.

Anyway view and weep:

http://www.foxsports...3-1226098763049

AAh yes Murdoch Media....how reputable....Mike Sheahan has really covered himself in glory today hasn't he.

And here lies the issue. What an awful situation his management have created here. If they plan on him being a long-term Melbourne player, they are painting him in a terrible light to those that should be supporting him. What management would allow a situation like that to play out? My only answer to that is a management that couldn't care less what Melbourne supporters think of their player, because he won't be a Melbourne player for much longer. I can't think of many uglier or disapointing situations playing out in the years that I have followed our great club.

Nixongate would.

AAh yes Murdoch Media....how reputable....Mike Sheahan has really covered himself in glory today hasn't he.

talk about putting your head in the sand!

for Sheahan to have written that piece he must be 1000% certain of what he is saying or he is going to be so shamefaced he might as well retire if he is wrong

why in the name of God would he put himself on the line like that if he wasn't sure

I don't know what your sense of logic is like but clearly it is no match for your sense of denial

he's gone

why in the name of God would he put himself on the line like that if he wasn't sure

Because there's no consequence for him being wrong.

If I were rpfc I'd be telling you about how I recognise that tree...

Yeah, prime trade material...

He's suddenly a mug, whose teammates no longer trust him - how is that for a red herring...

Others on here have said the same thing; that no one has helped him with his tagger, did you have the same response to them?

Do you think the players have helped him by blocking the tag, what's your, obviously astute, opinion?

There have been plenty of overhyped players that have failed to live up to their reputations; why even Cale Morton was looked at as a potential Champion after 20 games, where did you stand on that issue?

Let's just say I've seen a lot better football played by Jack Trengove that I have by Tom Scully and he is probably on half the money.

Just a quick note on JT:

Wonder how he's going to personally feel if TS goes. He's gone in to bat for Tom the most of any player this year IIRC, and probably the most of anyone at the club. He's really stuck his neck out for Tom, over and over again. If Tom goes, would he see it as a betrayal of all this trust that he's put in Tom?

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

Heh. Today's news, tomorrow's fish and chip wrapper.

It's not a matter of being right or wrong. It's about being read.

Don't you just love those tiny little 'corrections' papers hide away on page 24? They happen because beating the other paper to the story sells more copy than being second and being right - and they only print those when the lawyers make them. The headlines that were first and right get trumpeted and celebrated while the rest are forgotten like so much scrap paper, and then re-written the next day or week as if that had been the writers opinion the whole time. The whole thing is just the Ministry of Truth in miniature.

Mike may be right or he may be wrong but he will be right or wrong because of a hunch, or a feeling or a flip of the coin, not because he knows anything that would make his scribbling fact. Just like everyone else running around with an opinion on this matter.

Any one catch Demetriou on SEN this morning with his take on the Scully contract negotiations??? if so please inform.

He said it's not unique for a club to lose a #1 draft pick soon after selecting him and used Jeff White as an example.

He bull-sh1tted about how GWS don't have a big TPP advantage because altho they have $1M extra they have 55 players - however dopey Tim, Andy and Dermott failed to remind him that the vast majority of those players will be draftees on a mandatory $70K or less so there's a [censored]-load of money left over.

He finally said that he hoped Scully stays at Melbourne but it's up to MFC to convince him to stay.

Just got a warning for bagging same lame lot .

Must be a Fox conspiracy.

He said it's not unique for a club to lose a #1 draft pick soon after selecting him and used Jeff White as an example.

He bull-sh1tted about how GWS don't have a big TPP advantage because altho they have $1M extra they have 55 players - however dopey Tim, Andy and Dermott failed to remind him that the vast majority of those players will be draftees on a mandatory $70K or less so there's a [censored]-load of money left over.

He finally said that he hoped Scully stays at Melbourne but it's up to MFC to convince him to stay.

Thanks Old55