• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Tom Scully

The thing that rankles me the most is that players from other recently successful clubs (Geelong & Brisbane come to mind) have made a "pact" of sorts amongst the playing group that they would take a pay cut to hold the team together to try and achieve the ultimate success.

On the other hand we have a kid here barely out of high school unsure whether being the highest paid player at the club is enough?

I guess what it really comes down to is what is it that motivates the kid? Is it making a career out of footy and maximising his earning potential? Or is it playing in premierships and etching his name in history as a great fo the MFC? The longer this goes on I think it is the former and not the latter.

Or perhaps the kid is really concerned about how long his knee will hold up for and just wants to 'make hay while the sun shines.'?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the Scully camp.

The same perjorative word that Clark used in his tabloid piece.

Let's call Scully, his family and his management a "camp".

Let's call Melbourne Football Club the "top brass".

Let's call Scully's friend who leaks to the press a "confidant".

It's all designed to manufacture and delineate conflict ... the adversarial stuff that the tabloid Murdoch press loves.

Sloppy writing or editing. I think the 'non-factor' Blucher was referring to was his 'unhappiness'.

It's a quote so I'm assuming it's verbatim. Your analysis is valid. But loose lips sink ships.

I am going crazy reading all this crap. It all seems pretty obvious to me what is going on:

- scully has been offerred a ridiculous amount of money for someone basically unproven

- it would be a very bad look for the afl and gws if a 20 yo unproven talent turned down $1m per season

- therefore, the afl are doing everything in their power (and let's face it they make the rules up as they go) to get the deal done including blocking third party deals and offering maximum compensation

- mfc has no choice but to rollover to receive the aforementioned compensation. We can't not play scully because the afl won't condone this and would threaten our level of compensation - remember, they can change the rules as often as they like

- IMO, scully has more or less been told he is going whether he likes it or not

Based on all this my summation is that he is gone but all is not lost:

- the compensation could be very, very good- we could end up with two really good players instead of one

- I am not convinced scully will be an out and out star. He is massively over-hyped both on this site and in the media. Even gws, I suspect, would be having moments of doubt. His kicking is average at best, he is unable to break a tackle and his frame doesnt look like one that will easily be built up into the type of body required in the modern game. His strengths are fitness and determination but it takes much more than that to be a 'gun'. I would be much more concerned about losing trengove or watts.

The goose is cooked folks but I think we will move on from this quickly and possibly look back in a couple of years and think - wow, we got a great deal.

The only real downside is potential delay in our window as our compensatory picks will be three years behind in development. But it is only one player... We must also make sure we get longer term contracts sorted on all our young guns so we don't have to go through this again next year.

Finally, i need to say this. Any attempts by scully / his management / the afl / gws to paint mfc in a bad light to justify the move are an absolute disgrace and must be refuted aggressively. Take the money and run Tom it is you right to do so. But to try to besmirch the reputation of a 150 yo institutuion that used it's precious number 1 pick on you, gave you the famous no 31 and has vigorously defended your reputation throughout this entire saga is plain wrong. Just go.

Finally, i need to say this. Any attempts by scully / his management / the afl / gws to paint mfc in a bad light to justify the move are an absolute disgrace and must be refuted aggressively. Take the money and run Tom it is you right to do so. But to try to besmirch the reputation of a 150 yo institutuion that used it's precious number 1 pick on you, gave you the famous no 31 and has vigorously defended your reputation throughout this entire saga is plain wrong. Just go.

if these attempts are true, you are right that it's an absolute disgrace. the mfc should refute any such suggestions.

I am going crazy reading all this crap. It all seems pretty obvious to me what is going on:

- scully has been offerred a ridiculous amount of money for someone basically unproven

- it would be a very bad look for the afl and gws if a 20 yo unproven talent turned down $1m per season

- therefore, the afl are doing everything in their power (and let's face it they make the rules up as they go) to get the deal done including blocking third party deals and offering maximum compensation

- mfc has no choice but to rollover to receive the aforementioned compensation. We can't not play scully because the afl won't condone this and would threaten our level of compensation - remember, they can change the rules as often as they like

- the compensation could be very, very good- we could end up with two really good players instead of one

- I am not convinced scully will be an out and out star. He is massively over-hyped both on this site and in the media. Even gws, I suspect, would be having moments of doubt. His kicking is average at best, he is unable to break a tackle and his frame doesnt look like one that will easily be built up into the type of body required in the modern game. His strengths are fitness and determination but it takes much more than that to be a 'gun'. I would be much more concerned about losing trengove or watts.

The goose is cooked folks but I think we will move on from this quickly and possibly look back in a couple of years and think - wow, we got a great deal.

The only real downside is potential delay in our window as our compensatory picks will be three years behind in development. But it is only one player... We must also make sure we get longer term contracts sorted on all our young guns so we don't have to go through this again next year.

Agree with all points you make and especially the last point.

He was going to be asked about it at some stage so best to get on the front foot I'd of thought (although it probably hasn't made any difference).

I don't think he technically lied when he spoke at the press conference but imo there is a mechanism in place whereby he can commit and not have signed anything.

Perhaps he has packaged the next five years of his services up and placed them in some sort of company structure and appointed directors of this company to sign on behalf of the company. I don't know.

I don't really care either way anymore, sure it would be great to keep him but if we snag two picks it would soften the blow considerably and lowers the risk at the club. I'm not overly comfortable offering a guy a 5 year deal who may or may not have a el dodgeo knee.

Nope - doesnt hold water - Read his press conference transcript - no contact, no offers, no discussions, no signings thru him or third party. If he used a mechanism to commit then it flies in the face of his statements at the press conference.

I guess what it really comes down to is what is it that motivates the kid? Is it making a career out of footy and maximising his earning potential? Or is it playing in premierships and etching his name in history as a great fo the MFC? The longer this goes on I think it is the former and not the latter.

I think you will find it is a bit of both. I grew up at a time when players were all amateurs and footy was played by passionate people and watched by equally passionate supporters; the big difference was that at that time players all worked day jobs and footy was a part time occupation. These days the supporters are no doubt just as passionate as ever about their footy, but for the players it is now a full time job with a very limited employment period and they have to build their entire futures around it; so of course priorities have changed and a lot of the new generation of footballers, although no doubt still passionate about their footy, have to consider their earning capacity as well.

Club loyalty went out the window with the introduction of the draft, so unless you can find players like Moloney who grew up supporting the club, you can forget all about these romantic notions of players bleeding red and blue from day one (and it must not be forgotten that Tom has played less than 30 games for the Dees) - sure they will no doubt develop a genuine love of the club over time, but in the first couple of years, highly unlikely. Additionally a number one pick in the draft is never going to feel grateful to the club that picks them, because there are 18 clubs who would all pick that player if they were given the chance.

Finally, and I know you haven't done this, there are posters here who believe Tom is holding the club to ransom and that he is creating instability and affecting the club's performance. Well, it has to be remembered that we are talking about a young kid who is pretty much just out of school with little or no life experience, and we are talking about a kid who is put in the "care" of a mercenary management group. I cannot even begin to imagine the pressure he must be under, and I would never expect him to make such a life changing decision in a matter of days or even weeks - and please, no one give me that rubbish about him having had all year to think about this... it simply isn't true as the two parties have only very recently made official offers with dollar figures attached.

Fortunately for Tom, the club understands his situation and are seemingly happy for him to take all of the time he needs to reach his decision. I have no doubts that they made their offer when they did so that it would be brought to a head, and so that Tom could have some breathing space before he announces his next move - the club would have been severely disadvantaged if they waited until the 11th hour to table their offer as it would have put Tom under far too much pressure as he would not have had the time to properly assess his options.

All valid points.

Today's article is, basically, a beat-up. He knows what he is doing - indeed he probably has known for some time. Why not just say so and be done with it. Dragging this on it otal crap really.

The thing that rankles me the most is that players from other recently successful clubs (Geelong & Brisbane come to mind) have made a "pact" of sorts amongst the playing group that they would take a pay cut to hold the team together to try and achieve the ultimate success.

Yes - they did have a pact of sorts - I wonder if Gary Ablett Jnr was part of that pact at Geelong ?

These times and pay levels offered are unprecendented. Some will walk away from the lure of huge money and some wont.

A number of posts have been deleted because they questioned Tom's honesty which is in direct contravention of Demonland's wishes.

This topic is off limits at the request of the owner of the site. Second offenses will result in posters being suspended.

Spot on!!!

Especially the last paragraph.

If the MFC is smeared by the "Scully camp" as a diversion of the previously clouded steps that had taken place, then the MFC and their supporters should defend our great club to the hilt.

Much like the Moloney " If you don't support us 100% then......"

As much as we would like him to stay we shouldn't be paying overs for him.

The same perjorative word that Clark used in his tabloid piece.

Let's call Scully, his family and his management a "camp".

Let's call Melbourne Football Club the "top brass".

Let's call Scully's friend who leaks to the press a "confidant".

It's all designed to manufacture and delineate conflict ... the adversarial stuff that the tabloid Murdoch press loves.

Maurie.... the "camp' simply refers to his "circle of whatever....inlfluence, mentors etc etc "

They ARE his family, they include his management... cal it another name if you prefer.., but 'camp' suffices.

Adversarial ?? Even Allies have their camps.. Its their "position"

Is it not fair to suggest the MFC and Scully have somewhat differing positions ?? If it was the same... we'd probably not have 100 odd pages of discourse !! lol

Guest 36DD

I dont really think we will ever get the true picture, did he sign in October and all of the rumour and innuendo has just been posturing to take the focus off the real reason which is $$$$? what is the AFL's role in all of this? or has Scully been true to his word and hasn't signed anything?

Its gotten to a point where I am totally over it, if he stays great, if he doesn't well that is fine to. I must admit my feelings towards Scully have been negatively effected by this whole scenario and the manner in which is has been handled it has shown great naivety on his part, which I guess is acceptable given his age.

Some people understand what is important in life. You can not stop the ageing process, sickness or death no matter how much money you have. Furthermore, all the things you accumulate through life must be left behind in the end. This aspect would be far beyond the grasp of a young 20 year old who has demonstrated a single-mindedness towards his football from such a young age.

This is the likely reason why GWS have targeted Scully, as with age comes experience and perspective, a more worldly person would realise that GWS have nothing to offer whatsoever.

Guest The Tweed Pig

I'm sick of reading that Scully didn't barrack for Melbourne as a kid. It never seems to be an issue that's raised for any other player. Sheehan is carping on again about it today. I'd suggest that 80% of players don't end up at the club they supported as a kid.

Besides, he's supposedly the pro's pro, so it wouldn't matter.

i have a gut feeling saying he won't play again for the MFC

I suspect anytime now there'll be a release stating that " further Scans are less/more conclusive/clarifying and the club prefers to err on the side of caution whilst continuing his recovery. The Club anticipates a return to traiining at the earliest juncture but no date for resuming senior duty at this stage "

i.e

read

I dont really think we will ever get the true picture, did he sign in October and all of the rumour and innuendo has just been posturing to take the focus off the real reason which is $$$$? what is the AFL's role in all of this? or has Scully been true to his word and hasn't signed anything?

Its gotten to a point where I am totally over it, if he stays great, if he doesn't well that is fine to. I must admit my feelings towards Scully have been negatively effected by this whole scenario and the manner in which is has been handled it has shown great naivety on his part, which I guess is acceptable given his age.

Some people understand what is important in life. You can not stop the ageing process, sickness or death no matter how much money you have. Furthermore, all the things you accumulate through life must be left behind in the end. This aspect would be far beyond the grasp of a young 20 year old who has demonstrated a single-mindedness towards his football from such a young age.

This is the likely reason why GWS have targeted Scully, as with age comes experience and perspective, a more worldly person would realise that GWS have nothing to offer whatsoever.

Very well said 36DD

A warning?

Adam Cooney speaks about the knee that has dogged him sincw 2008

Adam Cooney suffered a heavy knock to his right knee as the "Buddy Show" rolled on, cracking the patella and messing with the delicate cartilage inside.

"It shifted the knee cap over and sheared the cartilage away," Cooney said this week. "The day after the game it just blew up. It was obviously a fairly forceful impact."

Almost three years on, Cooney is still in pain. The best he can do is manage the injury. There is no cure.

"I'm in pain pretty much most of the time. It's just always there," Cooney said. "It takes about 15 or 20 minutes to warm up and it's got that sharp pain when you run, but I suppose you get used to it after a while.

Guest Guy Rigoni

This thread is hilarious, whenever there is any new report amongst the hundreds already from respected, long serving journo's stating that Scully is as good as gone, they are immediately dismissed as tripe. My god, get your head's out of the sand people.

At least be open to the thought that Tom is going to take the money and run, he isn't like the rest of us, i'm sure that we all have played this out in our heads that we would take half as much as what Melbourne is offering Scully to stay at the club, because we all love the club, seemingly he doesn't. No point staying somewhere offering half as much if your heart isn't in it.

I have refrained till now getting involved in this debate, but enoughs enough !!

Skully is gone unless the young man takes a vote of conscience of his own and decides otherwise

Who can blame him? I certainly dont ! But at the same time I would love him to stick it up the AFL and show them that they cant have everything their own way

But money talks and the MFC must make a decision preferably sooner rather then later as to how hard they are going to push for compensation, other clubs ie Eddies Collingwood are putting their two bobs worth in and trying to cream Melbourne on the picks and compensation

Can you imagine if the shoe was on the other foot Mc Quire would be screaming.

Why are they so worried? Because they only see Melbourne getting stronger and they dont want another Club at the top level they have to compete against.

The other thing that worries me more than any other thing is the effect this is having on our players .

I think the MFC must lead from the front on this issue

Give Scully his offer, he either takes it or leaves it. Either way problem solved ! MFC blames AFL and I mean Blames AFL showing how they have destroyed the value of players

from a club perspective and not ask but demand adequate compensation if necessary !!

What ever has to happen has to happen NOW! or this will just continue to destablise the club and to me that is more damaging then loosing Scully himself!!!

Edited by Demon Stalwart

Guest Guy Rigoni

On the other hand we have a kid here barely out of high school unsure whether being the highest paid player at the club is enough?

yeah, this x1000.

A message to up and coming kids:

"Yours is not to run the club...but to impress it enough with commitment and endeavour to show worthiness of playing for it"

Hmmn, Heads or Tails?

Whatever, there sounds like a well known saying about "Tail wags Dog".

50252_260202908434_1938936_n.jpg

Apparently we can get Two??? for one tail !!!

Edited by dee-luded