Pathetic Away record

Weedster

Heard discussion of Melbourne's performances away from the MCG over the past 4 years - what a miserable record - 3 wins in total - one against Port Adelaide in Darwin, one against the Gold Coast and 1 2 years ago in Brisbane. NO WINS AT ALL at ETIHAD, SUBIACO, AAMI, SCG, SKILLED, CANBERRA or TASMANIA. Pathetic - another KPI which DB has missed - how on earth can we expect people to stick with roller coaster performances like this.

This is a big issue and it reflect very poorly on Dean Bailey. MFC have to look at other coaching options if Roos, MAlthouse etc are available. I'm not saying we should sack Dean Bailey before the season is up but he will have to show some improvement in these areas. Our effort on Friday wasn't up to standard with what was up for grabs, especially after a club legend had passed away.

Heard discussion of Melbourne's performances away from the MCG over the past 4 years - what a miserable record - 3 wins in total - one against Port Adelaide in Darwin, one against the Gold Coast and 1 2 years ago in Brisbane. NO WINS AT ALL at ETIHAD, SUBIACO, AAMI, SCG, SKILLED, CANBERRA or TASMANIA. Pathetic - another KPI which DB has missed - how on earth can we expect people to stick with roller coaster performances like this.

At Subiaco, AAMI, SCG, Skilled and Tasmania you are playing good teams at their home ground. Crows and Power bit different this year. Most good teams do win at their home ground or a ground that they are very familiar with like Hawks at Tassie. I thought we won a game a t Canberra recently. The one that sticks out is Etihad. For me even though it is a few metres narrower there is no excuse for our poor form there. The real reason might be we simply weren't good enough each time we played there. For a couple of years we were pathetic everywhere and now we are starting to rebuild. I am sure we will start winning there when our players get bigger, harder, more experienced and take the right attitude into the game.

PS. Our efforts recently at Etihad make me hate the place.

This issue to me is like haivng a go at Bailey for his win/loss record. While we were the worst team in the league - how can anyone expect us to go anywhere and win?

If his win/loss record wasn't as poor as it is - we wouldn't have Tom Scully to lose or Sam Blease to debut.

You cannot throw it back in his face when he did the right thing by the club and did a hard rebuild after Daniher's list was repatched and remodelled into oblivion.

We are still dealing with those players at the minute I am disappointed to say.

We are playing better footy away from home and the win in Brisbane at the end of last year (in case the OP forgot) was good to see.

We need to go to Darwin and win and we need to go to Port Adelaide and push for what could be a big win.

here's a KPI for you, we are currently 9th on the AFL ladder after going 16th,16th,14th,12th and we still have one of the youngest sides in the comp

i would have thought that was the relevant thing

here's a KPI for you, we are currently 9th on the AFL ladder after going 16th,16th,14th,12th and we still have one of the youngest sides in the comp

i would have thought that was the relevant thing

Well, we won't be 9th next week, we certainly won't be anywhere near 9th by Round 20, and if we fail against Port Adelaide in Darwin, our woeful record away from the MCG will remain a fact..

Thats not a rollercoaster thats all downhill.

Sitting 9th. Well isnt that nice....

Seriously, its not about ladder positions or wins or losses, its about taking opportunities when they present (or at least turning up and giving it a crack when they present themselves).

Friday was horrific. Such a waste of a big stage, at a place we have struggled against, against a side which was struggling on Friday night footy.

If we are happy with the season to date, then we deserve to be rubbish for years / decades to come.

We got pulverized by sides above us, and didnt put up a fight......that is the problem.

Last year we put up great fights and lost (Pies (draw too) and Dogs in particular). There has not been one game like it this year).

So forget ladder position - look at how much we want it as a measure of if we are improving.

I thikn being competitive against one or two of Geelong, Carlton or Hawthorn is more important than beating Port or GC.

Well, we won't be 9th next week, we certainly won't be anywhere near 9th by Round 20, and if we fail against Port Adelaide in Darwin, our woeful record away from the MCG will remain a fact..

Did you happen to check all the other main KPI's?

Until we start winning those, we are not going to win away much at all.

This issue to me is like haivng a go at Bailey for his win/loss record. While we were the worst team in the league - how can anyone expect us to go anywhere and win?

If his win/loss record wasn't as poor as it is - we wouldn't have Tom Scully to lose or Sam Blease to debut.

You cannot throw it back in his face when he did the right thing by the club and did a hard rebuild after Daniher's list was repatched and remodelled into oblivion.

We are still dealing with those players at the minute I am disappointed to say.

First point is quite valid. Was left a heavily recycled/ageing team that had in many cases seen their best years. Although i think we could have used the services of Jmac and Robbo for at least one more year or 2 while we were bringing through/blooding the new boys, winning a few more contests and hopefully instilling a more winning culture as the young guys grew physically and gained experience around them. It's a fine line between being bold and being too bold to the point of self harm.

Which current players from the Daniher era are you referring to??

We are playing better footy away from home and the win in Brisbane at the end of last year (in case the OP forgot) was good to see.

I've yet to see it on any consistent basis. 1 out of 4 against interstate clubs last year on their home turf and 3 of those clubs finished within 2 places of us. Not that i was expecting too much last year away from home. One win against a low ebbing Brisbane (Fev unraveling on and off field and quite an inexperienced team as well) towards the end of last year is hardly an indicator that we are playing better footy away from home.

We need to go to Darwin and win and we need to go to Port Adelaide and push for what could be a big win.

This year's fixture IMO couldn't have been much easier for us both generally and from an interstate away view. Only 3 games against interstate clubs on their home turf, and one of those against GCS. We failed dismally in the 2nd of these against the Weagles and we have one left against Port in the last game on a ground they've never played on either, albeit in their home town.

I would say we'd have to win both of the remaining interstate games against Port, Darwin (neutral territory) and Adelaide Oval, just to break even in the interstate away stakes, given the easy interstate away draw we were gifted. And even then it wouldn't really be a true indicator of how we're travelling away, given the form of Port Power atm.

Unfortunately we wont really get an idea of whether we're improving here until 2012 now.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Given that we haven't played a premiership match in Tasmania since 1952 I'm not sure that deserves to be on the list...

I'm concerned about how rubbish we are anywhere other than the MCG, but there's a big question even there against any Victorian sides other than Richmond and Essendon so I'd like to see that addressed too...

Unacceptable considering other teams in rebuilding phases -- Hawthorn, Saints, Dogs, Blues, Pies, Eagles -- have had no issues winning away from home.

FWIW just in terms of Friday night I think a lot of people over-rate where we are at, and the current ability of our list. On the flip aide the dogs are a much better team than they are given credit for, and their A graders far outweigh and perform our A graders and senior players.

As our side grows and develops so will our ability to win away from the G.

What do you expect when we've been rapidly dismantling our former list, and doing a hard total rebuild. Naturally we will struggle away with the poor former list that was falling apart prior to changing coach and footy dept. Then the rebuild began.

ALL young rebuilding sides struggle away from Home.we are now leaving the rebuild phase behind and are heavily into development phase. This is the time for Tuff love with the players not performing should be dropped.

I think some young players and some mature fringe players will this year be traded Out as we sort through the list we have built.

Unacceptable considering other teams in rebuilding phases -- Hawthorn, Saints, Dogs, Blues, Pies, Eagles -- have had no issues winning away from home.

Oh, is that right.

Hawthorn, Saints, Dogs, Pies, are not rebuilding. A mere renovation for the Hawks, The Saints haven't cleaned anyone from their list to speak of, nor the Dogs, Yet, & the Pies, rebuilding?

Blues, Eagles? The Blues starting their rebuild with Pagan, when was that again? And the Eagles, how where they traveling over the last 3 Years?

Im sick of hearing the statement , WE FAILED ON THE BIG STAGE. meaning friday night football. This to me reflects the attitude of everyone involved at the club. Coaching staff, players , and the board. It shouldnt matter that we are playing on friday night on the tele as compared to any other day/time against any opposition. OUR ATTITUDE to the game should be the same. mentaly prepared and up and about for the contest and ready to do EVERYTHING REQIRED to get the four points for the team.

Oh, is that right.

Hawthorn, Saints, Dogs, Pies, are not rebuilding. A mere renovation for the Hawks, The Saints haven't cleaned anyone from their list to speak of, nor the Dogs, Yet, & the Pies, rebuilding?

Blues, Eagles? The Blues starting their rebuild with Pagan, when was that again? And the Eagles, how where they traveling over the last 3 Years?

OK.

Hawthorn - 2004-2006

Collingwood - priority pick in 2006. 2007-2010 (flag year)

St. Kilda - 2004 says hello

West Coast - ...2011? They finished last in 2010...

Carlton - 2009, 2010, 2011, all finals years after years of [censored].