Demons at Etihad

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the more our suppotes don't turn up to games at Etihad the more we'll be fixtured there owing to lower attendances, we got lucky in playing the Bombers and Blues at the g this year. I don't particulary enjoy going to games there either, but I support my team whereever they play inVictoria and if I can interstate on my meagre funds.

Jeez some of the excuses here are pathetic. Get out there and support the boys there's not many of us to begin with we need as many to turn up as possible. I assume posters on here are some of the more dedicated supporters we have I can only assume what the fairweather fans are thinking. Heaven help us what hope do we have?

Striker, you have to work on Friday, finish at 5.30? Then you start the next day at 8.30 and have your mums bday that night? What am I missing here? No-one's asking you to pull on a guernsey and play on Friday night, just to show up and sit in your seat and cheer on the boys. Unless you're a 70-year-old pensioner that is pathetic.

It's a prime time Friday game as well. We have been lucky to have been scheduled 3 of them over the last month or so as well as Queens Bday. If we can't get 30K against a fellow Vic side in primetime with both teams fighting it out for a finals spot then the AFL will seriously consider being so generous in future. Richmond may have been a basketcase for the last 3 decades but they still pull people through the gates which is why they still have the ear of the AFL. Unless we can start to do this regularly the AFL will continue treating is with contempt. We've been given a chance by the AFL this year lets show them we deserve and start working our way back up the respectability/relevance ladder.

Edited by Demonic Ascent

Jeez some of the excuses here are pathetic. Get out there and support the boys there's not many of us to begin with we need as many to turn up as possible. I assume posters on here are some of the more dedicated supporters we have I can only assume what the fairweather fans are thinking. Heaven help us what hope do we have?

Well said. Since I made my comment above, some more of the same lame excuses have appeared. Don't like Docklands? Nor do I. But I can tell you that over many years of following the Demons I followed them to every decrepit suburban ground and had to endure far worse than that soulless TV studio that changes its name every few years. Some of you seem to be making a stand against going there as a matter of principal! Absurd. I know that Vlad the Impaler has been paid like a Wall Street bankster to change football into an electronic entertainment for couch-potatoes and betting agencies, but this is ridiculous on a forum that's surely meant to be for hard-core Demons.

Well said. Since I made my comment above, some more of the same lame excuses have appeared. Don't like Docklands? Nor do I. But I can tell you that over many years of following the Demons I followed them to every decrepit suburban ground and had to endure far worse than that soulless TV studio that changes its name every few years. Some of you seem to be making a stand against going there as a matter of principal! Absurd. I know that Vlad the Impaler has been paid like a Wall Street bankster to change football into an electronic entertainment for couch-potatoes and betting agencies, but this is ridiculous on a forum that's surely meant to be for hard-core Demons.

I hate Docklands for what it is and what it represents. But if Melbourne is playing there, I'm there. Just pessimistic about the result.

I hate Docklands for what it is and what it represents. But if Melbourne is playing there, I'm there. Just pessimistic about the result.

I have the same attitude as you about the stadium. But we have to win there eventually. I think I want to be there on that day. Or night. Or even bloody twilight. I have a feeling this week will be it.

Guest Checker

Barely miss a game at the G, but haven't been to Colonial since '07. Will be there Friday night. They need and deserve all the support they can get. Get up Demons!

Edited by Checker

i would love to be there Friday night , bit hard being in Perth, just find it amazing that some of you live in Melbourne but are not going because of a Ground, its facilities, its cost. you selfish snobby pricks. Get Your Ass down to etihad on friday night and fill that joint with Red N Blue.

So Striker475...your mother's turning 50. How old are you? I could be your mother. I work a 10 hr day, standing all day, no tea breaks, no lunch breaks....it's what my industry demands of me. But I make sure I get Fridays off work so I can get to all our Friday night games. I wouldn't miss it. I don't care where the venue is, love it or not, but you just get there to support the team we all love.

No wonder we are such easy targets for opposition supporters, just get there, make it happen.

Everyone hates it there, but we gots ta go.

Although I wouldn't mind if no one went, give the Dogs another crowd on Friday night below 20k, they deserve it.

Can't believe all the excuses for not turning up on Friday. The MFC are playing so if you love the Demons you will be there!!! I hate Friday night games and Etihad but I will be there on Friday night. Also get a 17 game membership (not much more than 11 game) and you money goes to Melbourne and not the opposition

Lets all get their and support OUR team on Friday. Would love to see 25K + passionate Dees supporters....

I'll be there - if that's not enough to motivate people then I don't know what is! B)

In all seriousness, I can't believe the excuses that are being used here - the ground is a few train stations further away from the MCG - you don't have to walk as far from the station, it's under cover if it rains - it's not like we're playing at princess park or some crappy dilapidated stadium! For years I've stood up for dees supporters for all of the stereotypes that everyone from other teams talk about - now I need to go and apologise to all of the because they were clearly right! Sure - people work, have other commitments, can't afford it - fair enough - but for people who just can't be bothered unless it's at the MCG HARDEN THE ^&*% UP AND GET DOWN THERE! No use complaining next week (if we lose which we shouldn't!) that the Dees didn't turn up to Etihad when you couldn't be bothered turning up yourselves!! Seriously every time I leave there I can't talk for a week because I have to scream / cheer that much louder to make up for the fact there are only a few thousand of us at the game!

It's only two stations from me, I don't need to change trains at Flinders St, catch a tram or walk 15mins like I do to the MCG. Maybe I should boycott MCG games because I find getting there inconvenient. Not all Melbourne supports actually live in the east and south east.

Attention - Melbourne Fans!! There are some of us that live in the North, North West and West of Melbourne.

Etihad is a great place to watch footy - just because we don't play there often enough we don't get a feeling like it's our home ground there's no excuse from anyone who supports us NOT to come.

Southern Cross is 100 meters away, the views are great, it's easier to get to than the G and if we win plenty of bars to celebrate around the ground.

If there are less than 33,000 to this game i am calling the Melbourne supporters who don't turn up to Etihad games soft!

Get you A*se to Etihad!!!!

It is really easy to get people to ES

Just start winning!

Simple but there won't get a big crowd there on Friday night.

Win the next 3 -4 there and the crowds will come.

Attention - Melbourne Fans!! There are some of us that live in the North, North West and West of Melbourne.

Etihad is a great place to watch footy - just because we don't play there often enough we don't get a feeling like it's our home ground there's no excuse from anyone who supports us NOT to come.

Southern Cross is 100 meters away, the views are great, it's easier to get to than the G and if we win plenty of bars to celebrate around the ground.

If there are less than 33,000 to this game i am calling the Melbourne supporters who don't turn up to Etihad games soft!

Get you A*se to Etihad!!!!

I find Southern Cross station very comfortable for some reason. Very organised. Not sure about others, but the atmosphere among supporters is pretty good.

I don't suppose you will be having a dig at Bulldog supporters by any chance ? After all it's their home game.

Agree on the bars surrounding the ground. Don't forget where the Demon faithful meet before/after the game !

hate the joint too- very sanitized. It reminds me when I played indoor basketball back at school many centurions ago,

you didnt get dirty, the whistle would echo around the walls, and the rules there are very similar for some reason to when we play at Etihad.... hate the joint, but will be there with bells on- we shouldve walloped the doggies last yr now its pay back time

hate the joint too- very sanitized. It reminds me when I played indoor basketball back at school many centurions ago,

you didnt get dirty, the whistle would echo around the walls, and the rules there are very similar for some reason to when we play at Etihad.... hate the joint, but will be there with bells on- we shouldve walloped the doggies last yr now its pay back time

Sanitized is the word....The stadium is just NQR, to say nothing of the outrageous prices charged for foods within.

I would rather send the MFC $50 than go to Etihad stadium...sorry but i find the place offensive.

Essendon take part of my money.

Having been involved with stadium catering in the past I can shed some light on food and beverage prices. Net profit runs at around 10%, pretty slim margin. Staff are paid award rates they're not family members at the local milk bar. Rent is very high, around 20% of revenue. Food is often brought at a much higher cost than supermarkets sell for. Beer is actually sold at about the recommeneded retail price, people conveniently forget they are getting schooners and not pots.

I'm not supporting what they charge, but giving it some perspective, also Etihad ans MCG are pretty close in pricing.

I find the food offer at the G much better though, my latest favourite are the kebabs!

Sanitized is the word....The stadium is just NQR, to say nothing of the outrageous prices charged for foods within.

I would rather send the MFC $50 than go to Etihad stadium...sorry but i find the place offensive.

Essendon take part of my money.

So either eat before you go in or grab some Subway or a Souva at half time. If the team is playing in Melbourne you support them wherever they play. When I was younger I went to the Western Oval, Princes Park, Vic Park, Windy Hill, Moorabbin, Waverley and anywhere else we may have played since the late 80's because I support the team. Unless you are working, have to attend a birthday or any other commitments, are a student or pensioner with no funds and your membership doesn't get you in or you have some other legitimate excuse, not just "I don't like the ground" then you should be there and if you are not then it is nothing short of pathetic. As I said earlier the supporters on this forum I would assume are some of the more dedicated and even they refuse to travel 10 minutes down the road to watch the team I hate to think what the fairweather supporters are thinking. No wonder we are a laughing stock who get no respect from other teams or the AFL. No wonder we struggle to get 20K to matches against interstate teams and get shunted to Sunday twilight timeslots. If you want the team to be respected you have to support them not just whinge about things not going our way.

Edited by Demonic Ascent