Max Gawn-Cult status

dees189227

It was exciting to see Max Gawn finally debut. I reckon we can play him in the foward line because he is just so tall. I know he needs to work on his kicking. But the poor guy was probably so nervous shooting for what would have been the wining goal.

Anyway his ruck work seemed to be ok and everyone around me was just cheering for him so hard and wanting the ball to be kicked to him. Listening to triple m while at the game they were getting excited to.

anyway I reckon he will get a bit of a cult status and this may be harsh but im glad to see him in the foward line and not newton. Go Max!

HE SWATS PLANES AND MISSES GOALS FOR A LIVING

HE'S OUR MAX

MAX GAWN

MAX GAWN

(apologies, a little bit drunk/high on life)

Yeah, if he kicked it, would have ruined the moment. He has a sense of theatre.

Didn't show as much as Howe, but very solid debut, and I really enjoyed it. Even despite the missed goal.

A pity the commentary tonight kept focusing on how tall he is or isn't - it got a bit repetitive after about the second time! To someone 'hobbit sized' like me - tall is tall is tall. The point is that he can play (which he clearly can), not whether he is or isn't as tall as the club says. Who cares?

A pity the commentary tonight kept focusing on how tall he is or isn't - it got a bit repetitive after about the second time! To someone 'hobbit sized' like me - tall is tall is tall. The point is that he can play (which he clearly can), not whether he is or isn't as tall as the club says. Who cares?

He did look smaller from the stands, but admittedly I think that's cos he's so thin. You stand him, man-to-man, against Sandi or Robbie Warnock and height-wise he'll be fine, but because he has so much less bulk on him he won't look as big.

Tall man is tall.

You can tell he is a natural footballer!!!

Still heaps to work on, but he gets it. Mark handball, short safe kick or long kick if under pressure, punch from behind. When your 7 feet whatever its best to play a simple game and he does that.

Not sure I'd play him for the rest of the season, but he gives you hope for the future and we're gaining something from Jamar's absence.

Young ruckman can look a little retarded at times, but can't wait to watch his development over the next few years!

Great effort for a first-gamer 19 yr old ruckman against 3 very high quality ruckman

With the exception of that shot on goal, his field kicking was actually surprisingly excellent.

I spent years screaming "handball" to Jamar, but I don't feel the need to do that with Gawn.

Exceptionally athletic and coordinated for a giant. Hopefully we can find a way to get plenty of game time into him this season, even if it's mostly as a forward. He actually took a grab against Dustin Fletcher+1. I fail to remember the last time we saw any Melbourne player take a contested overhead mark in the goal square against two opponents (save for Jurrah taking a speccy). Massive win that!

With the exception of that shot on goal, his field kicking was actually surprisingly excellent.

I spent years screaming "handball" to Jamar, but I don't feel the need to do that with Gawn.

Exceptionally athletic and coordinated for a giant. Hopefully we can find a way to get plenty of game time into him this season, even if it's mostly as a forward. He actually took a grab against Dustin Fletcher+1. I fail to remember the last time we saw any Melbourne player take a contested overhead mark in the goal square against two opponents (save for Jurrah taking a speccy). Massive win that!

I loved gawn in his first game, but im gonna have to question you here. HIs field kicking wasnt fantastic. I'll look at the replay, but i was pretty sure the only drop punt kick he landed was the one in front of goal, which he missed. The other kicks were wobblyy

I loved gawn in his first game, but im gonna have to question you here. HIs field kicking wasnt fantastic. I'll look at the replay, but i was pretty sure the only drop punt kick he landed was the one in front of goal, which he missed. The other kicks were wobblyy

I was sitting pretty high up, but he didn't make any real mistakes by foot for me.

We're not talking a 70m spear pass, but when he kicked it, he hit targets and he did it well. Unless there was another giant out there that I was confusing him with :unsure:

Put it this way, when he has the ball I'm not thinking "we're all going to die".

I was sitting pretty high up, but he didn't make any real mistakes by foot for me.

We're not talking a 70m spear pass, but when he kicked it, he hit targets and he did it well. Unless there was another giant out there that I was confusing him with :unsure:

Put it this way, when he has the ball I'm not thinking "we're all going to die".

Ha!!

Guest DeesPower

Didn't show as much as Howe, but very solid debut, and I really enjoyed it. Even despite the missed goal.

I thought it was a great debut. Incredibly exciting seeing a mobile 19 y o giant look at home on the "G". I hope we continue to play him. We look a lot better balanced side with him there.

I will be at Sandy Sunday. If Campbell dominates it will put us in a difficult position. Do we play the kid or the mature ruckman who maybe could win us games? Personally I hope we stick with playing the kids. Look where it got us this evening? Talent and enthusiasm will get us along way.

Gysberts was outstanding tonite by the way...

I will be at Sandy Sunday. If Campbell dominates it will put us in a difficult position. Do we play the kid or the mature ruckman who maybe could win us games? Personally I hope we stick with playing the kids. Look where it got us this evening? Talent and enthusiasm will get us along way.

Is there room? Evans elevated for Spencer, Nicholson for Grimes...do we have anyone else on the LTI list?