Stefan Martin

Goat

I thought he was good last night, but I disagree that he's had a good month. 2 or 3 repeat performances and I'll be happy and I'll be wrong...but, no, not yet.

Thanks.

PS Loved the video.

Love to know why tbh jumbo. I thought it was v. harsh that he was dropped for the Adelaide game when he had been extremely dependable up until then as the second ruck. His return has been nothing short of amazing, he's really turned into a class utility this year and is (dare I say it) the best second ruck in the AFL right now.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way Stef dropped back into defense, created a contest and followed it up with his second efforts and accurate kicking or a clean handball to release a running player was amazing to watch.

And also leading up through the center creating options and opportunities for run and switch.

He has come out of no where as did Jamar. Martin is playing his best footy when he is dropping back and pushing up, not going forward and kicking goals. He is a crucial part in providing some tall lead up marks coming off half back.

Great to see him find some amazing form.

he's really turned into a class utility this year and is (dare I say it) the best second ruck in the AFL right now.

I think thats going way too far. Sandi and Cox are easily the best two. And by a fair margin as well.

Jamar, Mumford, Jolly are the next few. Or did you mean that he is top two because most of them are out injured at this present time?

No doubt he is playing well at the moment. He was much better than all three of Ryder, Hille and Bellchambers last night.

He was way better than Hampson last week, but thats not a challenge.

Martin has always been of the strongest players at the club, however this year he came out of the preseason ripped and I remember hearing Sylvia in an interview say that he was expecting big things from Martin.

He has been consistently one of Melbourne's best since Jamar has gone down and the second ruck option we have been crying out for.

Martin's good form is just getting in the way of the development of Gawn.

Rubbish.

Gawn is a long term prospect, most of his development in the next couple of years will be at Casey, that isn't a criticism, just the reality of a 19 year old giant coming off a knee reconstruction.

Three ruckmen is a possibility of Jamar plays mainly as a forward, but I would prefer two ruckmen.

Martin has always been of the strongest players at the club, however this year he came out of the preseason ripped and I remember hearing Sylvia in an interview say that he was expecting big things from Martin.

He has been consistently one of Melbourne's best since Jamar has gone down and the second ruck option we have been crying out for.

I disagree I think he has been good since the start of the season even when Jamar was playing I thought he improved out of sight.

Even in our poor games and he never gave up, kept fighting till the end.

High light of the season so far for me.

Rubbish.

Gawn is a long term prospect, most of his development in the next couple of years will be at Casey, that isn't a criticism, just the reality of a 19 year old giant coming off a knee reconstruction.

Three ruckmen is a possibility of Jamar plays mainly as a forward, but I would prefer two ruckmen.

Ah Clint, you do realise how serious I was? Look what happened to the 3 ruckmen team we just played....

I think thats going way too far. Sandi and Cox are easily the best two. And by a fair margin as well.

Jamar, Mumford, Jolly are the next few. Or did you mean that he is top two because most of them are out injured at this present time?

No doubt he is playing well at the moment. He was much better than all three of Ryder, Hille and Bellchambers last night.

Not best top ruck - he's nowhere near a Sandi or a Cox!

Best of the 'relief' ruckmen - see Ryder, Petrie, Mooney, Hawkins as examples. Those guys that aren't primarily ruckmen but around-the-ground utility men who fill in as second ruck. Right now, he's playing as first ruck but still doing a lot of the around-the-ground work of a second ruck, work which he was doing before Rush was injured quite well.

Love to know why tbh jumbo. I thought it was v. harsh that he was dropped for the Adelaide game when he had been extremely dependable up until then as the second ruck. His return has been nothing short of amazing, he's really turned into a class utility this year and is (dare I say it) the best second ruck in the AFL right now.

Striker475, I was yearning for this young man to come to the fore because he's a Melbourne player. His lack of development was disconcerting and I was afraid he was getting 'cheap' games, when Gawn might have been a better option in the interest of going forward. Last night, Stef was very, very good doing all those things that are necessary for his role in the team. He ran hard, blocked for our freakish midfield and zoned well - he needed to develop this part of his game. Now that he's had a taste of what he can do, I hope he keeps going.

When this happens, I will gladly take everything back.

He means 'second ruck' as in 'back-up ruck.'

Just on Gawn - Jimmy gave him his jumper and said he got the same jumper and the next week he was dropped.

He said that because Gawn is going to ahve a similar fate - Jamar will come back and Max might not see AFL for a couple of years.

And before you say, 'rp, don't be silly' - have a think about it. Next year Jamar and Martin will start and Spencer will be pushing them.

Max is a baby. He's a foetus.

Striker475, I was yearning for this young man to come to the fore because he's a Melbourne player. His lack of development was disconcerting

He played his 38th career game last night. FFS how much more development do you want from a basketball convert, who started late, and has played FB, FF and now ruck?

Unrealistic expectations are unrealistic.

The fittest he's been it seems. And a new focus on his football. = Committment.

He played his 38th career game last night. FFS how much more development do you want from a basketball convert, who started late, and has played FB, FF and now ruck?

Unrealistic expectations are unrealistic.

+1

Always had great athleticism and speed. Has gained confidence since the Russian went down. Great size and his running tonight was fantastic.Well done Stef.

The Experience lives on.

Indeed. Even his appearance is a contradiction in terms, a baby's face on a giant's body.

Great game Stef, love it when someone "steps up" and says i am going to become a senior player.....Jeff White would be feeling very proud.

Keep it up.

Not best top ruck - he's nowhere near a Sandi or a Cox!

Best of the 'relief' ruckmen - see Ryder, Petrie, Mooney, Hawkins as examples. Those guys that aren't primarily ruckmen but around-the-ground utility men who fill in as second ruck. Right now, he's playing as first ruck but still doing a lot of the around-the-ground work of a second ruck, work which he was doing before Rush was injured quite well.

Sorry mate. I totally mis-read your original comment

Just on Gawn - Jimmy gave him his jumper and said he got the same jumper and the next week he was dropped.

He said that because Gawn is going to ahve a similar fate - Jamar will come back and Max might not see AFL for a couple of years.

And before you say, 'rp, don't be silly' - have a think about it. Next year Jamar and Martin will start and Spencer will be pushing them.

Absolutely. Assuming Spencer and Gawn turn out alright we might end up trading one out, because I imagine Jamar could play for a while and the younger guys might be starved of opportunities, Jolly-style.

It'll be a good problem to have, though.

On Gawn, I've gotta say I love the fact we've got a super-tall ruck prospect.