WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JACK VINEY

einstein251

I can't believe he was born in April 1994. My first semester at Uni. Geez I am starting to feel old. Wonder who we beat in July 1993 to get Todd up??

Perhaps it was Round 17 Sat 24 Jul-Melbourne 110 Defeated Western Bulldogs 97 T. Viney 32 possessions.

From the bigfooty boards discussing the under 18 champs trials, these guys generally know some good stuff about the juniors so heres the small part on viney:

"Viney worth a mention too, for the dees supporters. Good little hard nut, nice skills by foot when he gets outside. Slightly outmuscled a time or two, to be expected considering he's playing against bigger and older blokes, but tracking really well for an underager."

reply:

"Outmuscled? I believe he nearly killed a kid with one of the best blocks I have ever seen at a level under the elite.."

full thread:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785253&page=19

have i missed the obligatory joke about these skills not being inherited from his father :unsure:

Wonder who we beat in July 1993 to get Todd up??

You are one sick mo fo ;-))

Love it...

Edited by PaulRB

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hangon007

I just hope he can build a good relationship with young Patton & can develop a habit of hitting him on the chest with 40-50m bullet passes and keep that relationship going for 10-12 years. :):rolleyes:

I just hope he can build a good relationship with young Patton & can develop a habit of hitting him on the chest with 40-50m bullet passes and keep that relationship going for 10-12 years. :):rolleyes:

Yep, if we lose anyone of Importance to GWS, lets hope we get their No1 pick + some!!!

Is he eligible for drafting this year?

No. Next year.

GWS can trade 4 underage players. We might offer our first round pick this year to get him a year early. He wouldn't be able to play for us, but we would be able to get him to train with us and hopefully get him to play with Casey.

Also would allow us to keep our first round pick next year when the draft isn't compromised.

Hope he can hit a target when he gets it .

Bailey was good on SEN this morning. Was perhaps a little more animated than usual. Suggested to Dermie that some of the forwards had made good use of the ice bath after the game and when questioned about game plans and pressing, came up with a few examples of times where we'd pressed effectively.

I wonder, and hope, if Bailey and co. are looking to the 'post-press' era and trying to think of the next game plan? I'd welcome any thoughts on what that might be. I think we might have seen glimpses of something that could beat a good press last night - move the ball quickly and preferably by foot, to one-on-one's if necessary, backing our player to be better than his opponent (like Watts' mark in the goal square), and always playing the percentages - punching from behind whether forward or back, kicking long to the boundary line when options have dried up, hard running for four quarters...

The more I think about it, the more I wonder whether or not I have seen a better footy team than the Essendon 2000 team. They were rough bastards, they led and ran like maniacs, and their position kicking and marking in front of their faces at speed was great.

Clean up the skills, get some games into the younger players and we'll squash the press.

Little bit lost on this one...what's our link with Patton?

Guest Artie Bucco

No. Next year.

GWS can trade 4 underage players. We might offer our first round pick this year to get him a year early. He wouldn't be able to play for us, but we would be able to get him to train with us and hopefully get him to play with Casey.

Also would allow us to keep our first round pick next year when the draft isn't compromised.

That would be a monumental waste of a high value pick, when we can wait a year and get him as a father-son for a pick worth a lot less.

It's not like we'd be missing out on having him for a year in his prime.

That would be a monumental waste of a high value pick, when we can wait a year and get him as a father-son for a pick worth a lot less.

It's not like we'd be missing out on having him for a year in his prime.

Depends on where you think our first round pick will fall this year and next.

Say we finish 9-10 this year. With all the GWS draft concessions this year that would equate roughly to pick 15-16 at the earliest.

In an uncompromised draft the following year, banking on finishing somewhere around 6-8 that would equate to the first pick being somewhere around 11-13.

A few positions can be a big difference in a draft.

So not a monumental waste at all, given that GWS will have already severley drained this years talent pool of both 17 year olds and the glut of early picks. It is more likely that the talent pool will be larger in 2012 thus making it a smarter decision to offload this years first round pick rather than next years...

Guest hangon007

Depends on where you think our first round pick will fall this year and next.

Say we finish 9-10 this year. With all the GWS draft concessions this year that would equate roughly to pick 15-16 at the earliest.

In an uncompromised draft the following year, banking on finishing somewhere around 6-8 that would equate to the first pick being somewhere around 11-13.

A few positions can be a big difference in a draft.

So not a monumental waste at all, given that GWS will have already severley drained this years talent pool of both 17 year olds and the glut of early picks. It is more likely that the talent pool will be larger in 2012 thus making it a smarter decision to offload this years first round pick rather than next years...

Lets look at it from a GWS point of view. This year they get something .... next year the get nothing.

Think we are in the driving seat here. Suggest we should start much, much lower than our first round pick.

I'm thinking more like a 3rd rounder ... :)

Yep, if we lose anyone of Importance to GWS, lets hope we get their No1 pick + some!!!

A week or two ago the Herald Sun reported we would get around pick 17 on current ladder position for scully if he was to go, not exactly No 1 pick.

Edited by Deemort

Guest Artie Bucco

I'd trade our 1st round pick this year for an underage pick, and then still select Jack Viney next year.

The underage pick is worth more than our 1st round pick in either year, just as Viney will be (if reports are accurate).

That's why I wouldn't use it on him.

Schwab and Bails orchestrated next years draft from the time the tigers kicked the goal gave us another no1. We've got a full deck and Newton , Dunn etc need to fight to stay.Any player worth having wants to win a flag so we are sweet .

Viney will be our Joel Selwood. Gun kid who comes straight into a premiership winning side. B)

Lets not get carried away. He didnt even play for SA in their first game. Rotation schmotation, if you were in the top dozen players you'd be playing. Give him time

Lets not get carried away. He didnt even play for SA in their first game. Rotation schmotation, if you were in the top dozen players you'd be playing. Give him time

Maybe because he is playing for Vic Metro?