Non - negotiables

H_T

The leaders at Geelongfc established a set of strict rules on and off the field that the players must abide by, if they were deemed broken they were told in no uncertain terms. Gary Ablett Jnr was thought by his peers not to push himself at training or games and his peers thought if he stopped taking half measures he would be a better player.

The Essendonfc under the new tutelage of James Hird, Mark Thompson, Brendan McArtney established very early on that the entire playing list adhere to what they referred to as "non-negotiables". I have brought this up in other posts of mine from time to time since the season commenced but I thought considering we all keep addressing the inconsistent nature of our teams performance, that I address it again. For example in the INTIMIDATION thread Was the following..:

We need to instil some non-negotiables within the young team now as they grow and help build a consistent competitive culture. My concern is the lack of top end leaders we currently have. Hence the thread I started a month ago on "Leadership lacking". Green & Davey have been okay in previous years, but this year they have been anything but good on the field where it counts.

Unfortunately, our young aspiring leaders are just that, too young to step up physically time and again. We'll have to generate on field leadership over time.

Quite frankly, the leaders need to collectively set the tone and lead by example on a consistent basis. This inconsistent nature of pulling the finger out only when it suits (when the blowtorch is applied) is not good enough and not good enough for who we have drafted to look up to as role models onfield. Junior was a good leader to put his head over the ball in the packs and contested balls. We've no doubt missed him, not just for his football, but importantly his leadership and attitude to contest.

Someone like a Lenny Hayes would be perfect atm. Even Junior himself.

To establish a list of "non-negotiables" any leadership group should be capable of it. Following it through though, needs strong leadership. Leadership that leads from the front consistently. Quite frankly, simply the kind of leadership we don't possess. As much as it hurts saying that, we must be blunt and vigilant in our assessment. Don't worry, we're not the only team in this category. But if our club aspires to be the next "team of the decade", strong leadership and strong leadership values we must have, not to mention generating a star player(s) for the long term - that would be of great benefit.

So ? Must we bide our time and let our young promising footballers grow into the role ? Or do we out source it to fast track it, much like Visy sorry Carlton did with Judd. Which can come at a cost. But which alternative path might be more costly and more timely in the long run you say ? Hrrm. That's for the club to work out, assess and make decisions on. But it is a critical and significant decision nonetheless, and hopefully both alternative paths are part of the clubs blueprint in terms of list management.

Whatever the case, we need leaders that will instill non negotiables on the field of play to eradicate inconsistent performances such as the ones experienced. It takes good character and that was the basis of Geelong's revival, selecting players with very good character as well as their instinctive and skillful football attributes.

Collingwoodfc is another club that has publicly been transparent about it's good leadership under the Maxwell captaincy. You don't have to be a road scholar to work out that the right leadership under the right environment of strong leadership (Malthouse-McGuire) will be a strong leadership. At that club there is no alternative, much like Geelong, when it's your turn to go, you go. If you don't, they will find someone that will.

I will add more including examples of non-negotiables a bit later on when time permits...{tbc}

edited: revised.

You couldnt laminate a set and sneak in and post them on all the lockers at Bubbledome could you ??

Does this come under 'culture " perhaps ??

I think this is great idea, What are these negotiable's?

Living in Geelong and goiung to Uni here, i know that Geelong players Celebrate a win and go out late at night... close to what moloney got done for, etc

Im talking Ling, Bartel, Chapman for starters

If this could work it would go along way towards starting a level of standards in general

You couldnt laminate a set and sneak in and post them on all the lockers at Bubbledome could you ??

Does this come under 'culture " perhaps ??

They most likely already have a simple set of guidelines, rules or "non negotiables". And it does form part of the culture of a club. But IMO it's how the leadership goes about it creating/enforcing these aspects that determines a strong or inferior leadership.

I think this is great idea, What are these negotiable's?

Further to my opening post, as some of the clubs I have mentioned in Geelong, Collingwood and Essendon, they possess strong leadership and are led well by their respective leaders on field. I stated I would bring some examples of non-negotiables and I'll list them below. But as with the point I made with Essendon, clearly in the off season as a team they have addressed their system (ie. 'press') and are all on the same page in implementing their set tasks on the field. Whether that be blocking for a teammate, pressure in numbers at the ball carrier, zoning in the correct position and being alert of where to be at set plays and stoppages. They've been drilled by command and are following it to the "T".

My non-negotiable examples:

Off-field

Punctual attendance for training, recovery sessions, gym sessions, game day, team meetings, community programs, club functions.

On field

• Following team instructions.
  • Body behind the ball; using two hands when and where required.
  • Required intensity.
  • Work off the ball.
  • Being accountable for your man.
  • Adhering to team plays, team structure.
  • Tackling to instruction (making them stick; bringing to ground), correct technique.ie. Trengove's method. :mad:
  • Blocking, shepherding for teammates.

These are only examples, but they should form the basis of team values. Not adhering to any of the above non-negotiables should be reviewed and dealt with and addressed accordingly ie. consequences - back to Casey, told to work on, suspension in extreme cases.

edit: In essendon and Hirdy's case another may have been strict rules on footwear. For example only white or black footy boots. Clearly Reimers has thrown out the flouro coloured boots and is adhering to "command". It's a small example of team rules and it helps build a disciplined team and sets up the right environment and "culture".

I like that kind of leadership and if I was coach or part of the leadership group, it would be the same thing I would apply.

Oh, and another thing, I'd get Dunn to shave that horrible looking mo off. It looks pathetic.

MFC already use Leading Teams for this sort of thing, so I assume some if not all of the above is in place, so it is not the fact we don't have any, it is we don't adhere to them on a consistent basis. Most organisations have core values, but do all employees adhere to them every single hour. I think not.

Edited by satyricon

MFC already use Leading Teams for this sort of thing, so I assume some if not all of the above is in place, so it is not the fact we don't have any, it is we don't adhere to them on a consistent basis. Most most organisations have core values, but do all employees adhere to them every single hour. I think not.

Exactly, and I made mention particular mention of this. Having them in place is one thing, adhering to them is of greater significance. It's no wonder teams who adhere to them and are strong on these values are seen to be successful, the same for big businesses. I also recognise that it takes strong leadership to do it on a consistent basis.

Having Leading Teams is one thing, embracing it by those with strong character, leadership....

MFC already use Leading Teams for this sort of thing, so I assume some if not all of the above is in place, so it is not the fact we don't have any, it is we don't adhere to them on a consistent basis. Most most organisations have core values, but do all employees adhere to them every single hour. I think not.

In which case the issue would clearly be that they are not being enforced. The culture can only change when any wavering from the values is dealt with.

would the alleged incident involoving Morton at training come under this umbrella

I hate these cryptic responses... what incident might that be for those of us out of the loop?

My non-negotiable examples:

Off-field

Punctual attendance for training, recovery sessions, gym sessions, game day, team meetings, community programs, club functions.

On field

• Following team instructions.
  • Body behind the ball; using two hands when and where required.
  • Required intensity.
  • Work off the ball.
  • Being accountable for your man.
  • Adhering to team plays, team structure.
  • Tackling to instruction (making them stick; bringing to ground), correct technique.ie. Trengove's method. :mad:
  • Blocking, shepherding for teammates.

These are only examples, but they should form the basis of team values. Not adhering to any of the above non-negotiables should be reviewed and dealt with and addressed accordingly ie. consequences - back to Casey, told to work on, suspension in extreme cases.

No arguments here, and you could add to the list

Problem is most clubs would have the same list if you asked them

So it all boils down to how you

• emphasise them
  • teach them
  • practice them
  • enforce them
  • reward them
  • etc

i.e. its not about defining the non-negotiables its about managing the non-negotiables that makes the difference.

I hate these cryptic responses... what incident might that be for those of us out of the loop?

well excuuuuuuse me all to hell for assuming most would have read that when it was posted

apparently they had a go at him for being soft and did some sort of drill where everyone ran at him and he had to take the contact. or something.

well excuuuuuuse me all to hell for assuming most would have read that when it was posted

apparently they had a go at him for being soft and did some sort of drill where everyone ran at him and he had to take the contact. or something.

Consider yourself excused... and thanks ;)

No arguments here, and you could add to the list

Problem is most clubs would have the same list if you asked them

So it all boils down to how you

• emphasise them
  • teach them
  • practice them
  • enforce them
  • reward them
  • etc

i.e. its not about defining the non-negotiables its about managing the non-negotiables that makes the difference.

Agree dc. And the point you make managing of the non-negotiables is along the lines of what I meant in the leadership group really embracing these values. Embracing them can be defined by the list you've contributed.

C&B, you mentioned Morton, our captain and vice captain were singled out and faced the same example, didn't they ?

I'm jealous of other clubs leadership and the examples they set. I'm jealous of their character. I crave that type of leadership at my club. At our club. I want our club to display such leadership on the field. I want our leaders to display passion moment by moment, quarter by quarter, week in week out. I'm annoyed at the inconsistency, annoyed at the lack of effort, annoyed that our senior players pull their collective finger out after the blowtorch has been applied and when it suits them. That's why our club is referred to as soft. It's why I am still annoyed since last Saturday at Etihad with continuous visions of North supporters around me referring to our side as p!ssweak - they're right. It's why certain players are accused of having soft tendencies. The sooner the right leaders are in place, the sooner the right values are embraced , the quicker our club can identify and eradicate these character(istics) the stronger we'll be as a club. Non - negotiables - fricking embrace it !

{My vent is done for this week}

IMO any player at AFL level should understand what is required of them. If the club need to bring in a set of rules to further teach them what they should allready know then we're a LONG way away from being 1/2 decent

IMO any player at AFL level should understand what is required of them. If the club need to bring in a set of rules to further teach them what they should allready know then we're a LONG way away from being 1/2 decent

I think you'll find that this kind of concept exists at all the clubs.

The question (as HT & dc have correctly identified) is: how can the message be most successfully ingrained within the group to create the resolute "culture" that is required.

the boys need to get there pride back before we get leadership...we have the saints, blues, bombers & pies coming up...I have a big question mark over there sense of pride.

they got some pride back against the crows. but just as soon as they got it, they lost it.

I saw Petterd go one handed at a ball in flight and he copped a spray from moloney. moloney lead by example in that instant and told petterd to do better. I think that is the kind of leadership we need. i don't see that from Green.

the boys need to get there pride back before we get leadership...we have the saints, blues, bombers & pies coming up...I have a big question mark over there sense of pride.

I think some are more focussed on how their Facebook is going and their property developments

Some additions

Remove the "Fear" gland

Take responsibility upon yourself for the result

What a great way to build team moral

What a great way to build team moral

Perhaps you can suggest a better alternative ?

Something has to be done. And preparing them or introducing them for physical contact is one way to go about it. As dandeeman just posted, taking the fear gland out might be one way to get into their psyche and the next confrontation on the field they'll go, when it's their time to go and not be so timid of the contest. ie. Giving them an appetite for physical contact. - Some individuals have a hunger for it; love it, some may learn to love it. We need these type of players. Collingwood have these type of players, Geelong have them. Essendon & West Coast have many.

The much maligned Jake King doesn't know what fear is, that's why Hardwick loves him to death and knows he will lead with his head first when it's his turn.

This is a great thread, hope the players and coaching staff see it.

The Board have shown great courage and leadership under Jimmy and the supporters rallied behind the club.

Time for a lot of players to do the same, especially the leaders, to think Davey was considered by some as a Captain of the club...

Example: Like Beamer play for the club and start to show some pride in what you do, or go play elsewhere.

Never Never Never give up.