Cale Morton's Article of the MFC Site

frankie_d

An Interesting read. Here's a quote

"

The team player is getting more recognition than ever.

Match reviews are more in-depth than ever, with about 20 TV cameras covering each game. There is nowhere to hide if you don’t do the team thing.

Players in the reserves are getting picked for senior selection on this basis, not so much for getting a stack of touches or kicking goals.

And on the flipside, players in the senior side are losing their spot because of this.

"

Insight, maybe. Would be a good thing if it were.

i laughed at it, due to the fact he isnt playing for that precise reason!

to me that's what he was explicitly stating not even in a veiled way

he's saying that everyone gets instructions from the coach, and if blokes dont follow them the system doesn't work. He is saying he is guilty of this, deserved to be dropped, and now he is learning it. I say good on him for writing that it is a ballsy thing to do and interesting that the club posts it on the same day the HS has a slagpiece on him getting dropped and leaving the club, what garbage.

can't believe nobody else has raised the bit about Barty being one of the most rated footballers at the club, he gets absolutely no rating on this site

can't believe nobody else has raised the bit about Barty being one of the most rated footballers at the club, he gets absolutely no rating on this site

You've got to skim better. post #77

he's saying that everyone gets instructions from the coach, and if blokes dont follow them the system doesn't work. He is saying he is guilty of this, deserved to be dropped, and now he is learning it. I say good on him for writing that it is a ballsy thing to do and interesting that the club posts it on the same day the HS has a slagpiece on him getting dropped and leaving the club, what garbage.

yeh i agree he knows why he is being dropped, and he takes it in good humour which is good.

and also i personally rate bartram alot, although i agree he does fly under the radar about his work ethic, and his physical strength and endurance, and really just how hard he works in a match, especially on this site

BB had a go at him for doing this in another thread and it is unfair.

It's either contribute to the club in some way, write a piece for the website (which some on here constantly whinge there isn't enough content on) or go home and play Xbox.

And that line does look like it reflects a very self-aware young man...

Indeed. If I remember correctly Cale also did very well at high school level before he was drafted. If nothing else he's got a good brain in his head and that's part of the reason why I'm confident he'll come out the other side of this a better player.

And I love Bartram and I'll always be the first to scoff when people suggest dropping him.

Probably because few really understand the role he plays each week

Ditto.

Nice work Cale.

Yes, nice article. I still firmly believe the guy is going to be an important part of our structure as we make our push for September glory. Just hope he learns what he needs to learn at Casey real fast, and regains his spot in the team.

While there is a lot of Bartram juice flying around, imagine what he could've been had he not broken(?) his ankle back in his first season. Seemed to set him back in his progress a lot I believe.

That and losing his old man in his second year

That and losing his old man in his second year

Gee, that's right. Going through a personal battle at the moment and I know how much midspace that takes up, I couldn't imagine how much that would play on the likes of Barty and Aussie.

Hard part about Barty is that when you sit down and do your dream 22 in 2 or 3 years time, he would struggle to get a game in most people's team.

Hard part about Barty is that when you sit down and do your dream 22 in 2 or 3 years time, he would struggle to get a game in most people's team.

I don't think so. At the moment on our list, there are zero players competing for his role (small defender/defensive midfielder). So for Bartram to lose his spot, firstly we'd have to draft someone who is competing for that spot and secondly that someone would actually have to be better than him, and to be better than him we'd be looking at someone with the same or better work ethic and drive (to bring him equal to Barts) and a damaging boot (to make him superior to Barts). That is the recipe for an elite defender; likelihood of us finding him?

At this point I consider it pretty unlikely that he'll be unseated in the next few years at least.

I don't think so. At the moment on our list, there are zero players competing for his role (small defender/defensive midfielder). So for Bartram to lose his spot, firstly we'd have to draft someone who is competing for that spot and secondly that someone would actually have to be better than him, and to be better than him we'd be looking at someone with the same or better work ethic and drive (to bring him equal to Barts) and a damaging boot (to make him superior to Barts). That is the recipe for an elite defender; likelihood of us finding him?

At this point I consider it pretty unlikely that he'll be unseated in the next few years at least.

I remember Barty playing a few games that were reminiscent of Matty Whelan, if he can get to that level consistently hes in my best 22 every week without question

Of course Nasher. Now, what I want you to do is jot down your best little 21+1, and base it on all the planets lining up and that our kids (Cook, Blease, Strauss, etc) take that step and consolidate a position in the top 22. I think you would have trouble fitting Barty in - I know I would most likely not have him in my team, and I wouldn't be the only one.

Of course Nasher. Now, what I want you to do is jot down your best little 21+1, and base it on all the planets lining up and that our kids (Cook, Blease, Strauss, etc) take that step and consolidate a position in the top 22. I think you would have trouble fitting Barty in - I know I would most likely not have him in my team, and I wouldn't be the only one.

How about you do one and tell me which player is playing the role of small defender?

heaps of them won't though

About the same chance as Barty playing that consistent level you spoke about. He may, he may not, all thouse players I named may come on, but then they may not.

So, I ask you the same thing, what will our best 22 look like in say 3 years time? Does Barty sit in there? Which of the kids do you think will come on?

How about you do one and tell me which player is playing the role of small defender?

We're talking 2-3 years right?

I personally see a lot of promise in Bennell or Jetta. I know there'll be some LOL at that, but I believe a couple of good preseasons, and either of those 2 could take that small defender role. They are still only kids, haven't played a lot of games, and can see either of them getting to a level that would be ideal for that role. It could also be a position that Jones may need to master, but he may not have the pace for some match ups.

I would also be interested to know what position Blease will end up playing should he come on. I think Tapscott should make a name for himself as a Half Forward Flanker, rather than HBF.