Brad Green

Salems Lot

Here's another problem. We call our good players "Champions".

Luke Hodge is a champion. Chris Judd is a champion. Scott Pendlebury is a champion.

Brad Green is and has been a good to very good player.

We have not had a champion footballer since Flower.

G'day Range. Interesting post. More referring to champion as in "amongst our playing group" he would be seen as probably our only champion at this point. Agreed there's also very few from past years i would consider a true champion in a "comparative" sense with the rest of the league since Gary Lyon. That's just My op. However, if you were to place Greeny in a champion team (prior to this year anyway) i think he would be very highly rated and considered close to or just behind some of the other leading super stars. Emphasis on "close". B)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was actually not on Before the Game which is the comedy show, he was on the program after the match which discusses the weekends footy results in a serious format. Anyone who saw it would say that he handled it very poorly and it was a perfect chance for our captain to give the members something other than cliches and giggles.

I heard Stynes on the radio yesterday and it was the first time I've been disappointed in him. I didn't expect him to flat out say Bailey will go, but he rehashed all the cliches and "baileyisms". It's gotten to the point that I can't bare to listen to people from our club anymore as I'm sick of all talk no action on field.

Its amazing what people actually expect to hear in a presser after a bad loss. Its not a good position to be in and if there are any criticisms/hand wringing or lynching they should be handled behind closed doors and the right people held accountable. The last thing I would want Stynes or any other official start bagging players or mea culping in a presser. Stynes did the best he could in an awful situation.

Anyone see the guy in the wafl that broke his leg? The subi player that fell across it was former rookie Danny Hughes. Thats the worst injury I have seen on a footy field.

Yes i did see that....he will not play again, will have on going trouble with that leg for the rest of his days.

Horrific stuff, poor kid.

Possibly Brad might have displayed better judgment and declined the show. "Sorry 10 , more important things than providing fodder for you guys"

Im disappointed again . I was disturbed to see Bailey with similar untimely disregard donniing the Boundary Rider gig when really he ought to have been fuming and getting stuck into his charges.

Some strange priorities eminating from this club.

Anyone see the guy in the wafl that broke his leg? The subi player that fell across it was former rookie Danny Hughes. Thats the worst injury I have seen on a footy field.

It literally made me tear up, and then I had to stop myself from spewing. Horrid!

Did put my knee injury into perspective. Poor guy, I can't even imagine how many years of rehab he'll need to go through just to get normal mobility back! :(

Im disappointed again . I was disturbed to see Bailey with similar untimely disregard donniing the Boundary Rider gig when really he ought to have been fuming and getting stuck into his charges.

Some strange priorities eminating from this club.

All part of the broadcast rights BB....Get used to it mate. i don't like it either but the TV stations milk it all now...they paid for it.

Looks like Jimmy is putting the heat on Green

Green is a outstanding player but he has shown he is not captain material. I would love to see Beamer get the gig, Beamer has a mouth on him (not a negative comment), and Green can go back to doing what he does best... Make the opposition sweat when he has the ball.

Just show us all that you have a "PASSIONATE" desire to turn it all around, Brad!

No passion = no commitment! Jeez our club has developed a soft exterior.

No more poofy talk, get on with performing on stage................all of you!

I'm not up for criticising Green alone when it comes to this. Few things...

1) He's dreadfully out of form for whatever reason. This happens to all players. Right now, unfortunately, it's happening to him. Only way it'll change is if he keeps playing.

2) I don't know that it's just him at fault. We have a leadership group for a reason. Said is made up of a few players, not just him. Of those (including Moloney despite his temporary removal), only Moloney and Jones are playing well. Davey is terrible, Sylvia is anonymous and Grimes needs time to get used to his role.

3) He's still getting used to the gig.

Just show us all that you have a "PASSIONATE" desire to turn it all around, Brad!

No passion = no commitment! Jeez our club has developed a soft exterior.

No more poofy talk, get on with performing on stage................all of you!

OH YEAH! Time for the boys on this list (they know who they are) to grow into MEN! Both mentally and physically, on the field and off! 2yrs enough? The rest of this season is gonna be real interesting for us demonoids. Hopefully for all the right reasons! At the same time we gotta back our club 110% so no one (including the FD) can say we weren't backing em to the hilt.

For one decade of my life I wanna be able to say... Go you MIGHTY Demons! And know that the MIGHTY has real meaning and puts the fear of Bael into our opponents rather than just saying it in hope (Thats Bael, head of the Infernal armies of 66 legions, not to be confused with Bailey). B)

Green has had a worse year than Bailey IMO.

ICGAF about TV shows.

On the field our leaders have been pathetic and Brad has been just that.

He is not a champion and that moniker should never be thrown around 'in comparison' to other Melbourne players as that is just lowering the ceiling for our NQR middle tier players and our promising young talent.

We should have not had a sole captain - no-one player deserved it, no-one player should have got it.

I said Brad would be adequate, at the moment I am wrong.

just trotting out the predictable

I'll second that. Bit funny how it's all happened.

Ill 3rd that. Give the poor [censored] a break(not at casey). Sometimes makes me feel embarressed to be a dees supporter. Othe rthan Beamer and maybe jones,even the jack are giving a bit, all others have been pretty poor. Im as [censored]*& off as anyone else. At a time when the club needs some support from our ever fickle supporters (you & I) we continually bag them. If Beamer was captain there would be some kind of uproar that someone would come up with. Lets get behind them, rock upo this week and smash so SA feathers.

again just an opinion

Here's another problem. We call our good players "Champions".

Luke Hodge is a champion. Chris Judd is a champion. Scott Pendlebury is a champion.

Brad Green is and has been a good to very good player.

We have not had a champion footballer since Flower.

I agree, although my definition of champion is probably even tighter than yours. I think Judd is the only one of those three who commands the title. Hodge and Pendlebury are elite, no doubt, but champion is a term that should be reserved for a handful that produce elite performances over a very long period of time. Ablett, Riewoldt, Brown and Judd.

I put Hodge and Pendlebury in the next rung down but Melbourne have nobody in this category either. Previously Neitz probably would have scraped in here. And Stynes and Lyon before him.

Green and perhaps Davey sit in the rung below which is where most of Melbourne's "greats" of the last two decades have been. McDonald, Viney, Yze, Tingay, White and probably Bruce. All matchwinners on their day but "on their day" can be a pretty big caveat.

Back on topic though, I find it really astounding that Green's captaincy is being called into question. He is down, yes, but I can't think of a single player that would've been any better.

Davey is in equally poor form, Moloney as captain would have been a PR disaster if we think back three weeks and Rivers, Jones and Grimes are battling manfully but hardly commanding of the captaincy. The only other option might be the Big Russian but he isn't even in the leadership group.

Brad Green is still the man right now and we should back him to turn the tide. A bit of ball forward of centre may help.