GOOD Friday....

Tonight we the MFC should be playing the Saints at the MCG. Demons v Saints.

Perfect. What a way to also raise money for the Royal Children's Hospital before the game.

Here is a vacant friday night, with the perfect theme for us and the Fat Controller says no. It makes me so mad.

I am not religious, but even for those who are...after the afternoon church service what better thing to do than go to the 'G to watch the Demons & the Saints battle it out.

A cross could be won each year & handed over after the game.

Get on to it Demons. A potential Block Buster sits & waits. B)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you said it another thread. You have to earn the right to play in a blockbuster. we have not.

We are the Demons so we have a right to start a Block Buster, as Sheedy did with Anzac Day back in the 90's.

You must be PRO ACTIVE.

It won't happen when we have a religous CEO of the AFL in charge. North have been trying for years.

Now let the arguments between the believers and non believers begin :)

oh i know you can tell the Fat Controller is most God Fearing....(and so he should be!!!)

I agree with you. Blockbusters don't need to be "earned" if they are well-marketed and have a good theme. Good Friday: Demons vs Saints would be a good-natured homage to the Easter period. No-one would be offended and it would easily develop a niche in the year's events. I'm for it.

I'm sorry, handing a cross out at the end of the game?

I don't know which is worse in this, the trivialisation of people's faith or the imposition of its symbols on the rest of us.

I'm quite comfortable with the idea of playing a game on good friday, it's just another day for me. But at the very least can we not pretend like we would be edifying the day for those for whom it is already special?

I don't know which is worse in this, the trivialisation of people's faith or the imposition of its symbols on the rest of us. By far this.

I'm quite comfortable with the idea of playing a game on good friday, it's just another day for me. But at the very least can we not pretend like we would be edifying the day for those for whom it is already special?

Tonight we the MFC should be playing the Saints at the MCG. Demons v Saints.

Perfect. What a way to also raise money for the Royal Children's Hospital before the game.

Here is a vacant friday night, with the perfect theme for us and the Fat Controller says no. It makes me so mad.

I am not religious, but even for those who are...after the afternoon church service what better thing to do than go to the 'G to watch the Demons & the Saints battle it out.

A cross could be won each year & handed over after the game.

Get on to it Demons. A potential Block Buster sits & waits. B)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't agree more, WYL.

(not so sure about the cross presentation, though!)

I don't know which is worse in this, the trivialisation of people's faith or the imposition of its symbols on the rest of us.

or your obsession and pseudo-intellectual outrage? Try smelling the roses sometime even though its hard living in Canberra

and I'm an atheist but I don't necessarily spend my time looking for things to whinge about

Athiests who get offended by other people's harmless religious beliefs (or God forbid its' symbols) are just as bad as religious people who hate gays or want to ban the teaching of Evolution. Religion is part of human culture. Don't fight it. Just live with it. Use a Good Friday Demons-Saits blockbuster to raise money for the Royal Children's Hospital. Sell Easter eggs. Whatever. The variety of people's beliefs, and the ability to share in them from time to time, is part of what makes a Multicultural society great. Footy on Good Friday is something that should happen.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't agree more, WYL.

(not so sure about the cross presentation, though!)

The cross was just an idea Jumping JC, but the game on Good Friday we must pursue.

Athiests who get offended by other people's harmless religious beliefs (or God forbid its' symbols) are just as bad as religious people who hate gays or want to ban the teaching of Evolution. Religion is part of human culture. Don't fight it. Just live with it. Use a Good Friday Demons-Saits blockbuster to raise money for the Royal Children's Hospital. Sell Easter eggs. Whatever. The variety of people's beliefs, and the ability to share in them from time to time, is part of what makes a Multicultural society great. Footy on Good Friday is something that should happen.

Spot on Mate, if we could get one Good Friday match with St.kilda and both clubs raised a bucket load of money for the Hospital-there is the birth of a yearly game, that means something.

A Block Buster is born. Just how Sheeds sparked Anzac Day

It won't happen when we have a religous CEO of the AFL in charge. North have been trying for years.

Now let the arguments between the believers and non believers begin :)

Surely there is one day of the year that does not have to have a sporting event.

I am not religious but lots of people are and there wishes deserve some respect.

5 out 6 days is easily enough.

And even if there was a game why would we deserve it?

Hopefully in three years time we might have something to shout about

but 2 wooden spoons and 10th does not qualify.

Spot on Mate, if we could get one Good Friday match with St.kilda and both clubs raised a bucket load of money for the Hospital-there is the birth of a yearly game, that means something.

A Block Buster is born. Just how Sheeds sparked Anzac Day

One big difference Collingwood and Essendon were good teams with big followings when he started the drive.

We seem to fall short in both areas at present.

One big difference Collingwood and Essendon were good teams with big followings when he started the drive.

We seem to fall short in both areas at present.

With that attitude we will always fall short O D. Time for this club to be on the front foot.

Good Friday with the RCH appeal is waiting for a marquee game.

That Game should be the Demons v Saints for very obvious reasons.

Do Richmond deserve the "Dreamtime" game?? No. But it didn't stop them claiming it.

Rather than the Demons vs the Saints, why not the Demons vs GWS?

Western Sydney has a large Islamic community, and the anyone who barracks for the demons will not put religion in the way of footy.

So as Demitriou tries to expand to Western Sydney, could he be isolating the AFL from its target market by not playing on Good Friday?

Rather than the Demons vs the Saints, why not the Demons vs GWS?

Western Sydney has a large Islamic community, and the anyone who barracks for the demons will not put religion in the way of footy.

So as Demitriou tries to expand to Western Sydney, could he be isolating the AFL from its target market by not playing on Good Friday?

A little too political i think.

Demons v Saints is self explanatory and far more light hearted.

I'm religious and will be involved otherwise on this day. All I ask is that non religious football followers respect that many fans are religious and would appreciate the day free of football. Spare the thought, there may even be some footballers who appreciate some time for deeper reflection with other Christians on this day. To think that there are not some involved within club circles is ludicrous. Just give us a break from this constant sqawking. Four days of football over this long weekend and you cann't live without a game on Good Friday. Good gracious....what's the world coming to? I could say get a life, but I don't intend to be disrespectful to your freedom to choose. So let me suggest get eternal life, its not bad.