Are we any chance this week?

Curry & Beer

Hawthorn own us. They have beaten us the last six times over 4 years, all at the G (however our last meeting was close all day until the last few minutes).

TAB is paying $1.38 vs $2.90 in their favour.

we might have Frawley back

someone give me a reason to believe

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I saw on the weekend, The Hawks were out run in the second half and I reckon they are a tad slow.

I reckon if we can stick with them for the first half and then put the pedal down after half time by switching and run and carry be might be able to open them up. I thought our fitness was pretty good last week as we seemed to get into each quarter in the latter part (except the final).

Big game in the guts, Beamer and co have to get their hands on it more than Sam Mitchell and co. Jamar/Stef were awesome last week and hopefully we can get some great taps to advantage like in that last quarter.

I reckon we have some chance but recent history is not on our side.

Guest Gotzy15

Yeah i dont think weve matched up very well against Hawthorn in the past 2-3 years. If Frawley doesnt play and garland goes to buddy then roughy looms as a big danger (didnt have his kicking boots on against us in the 2 games last year and let us off the hook slightly)

I think rioli also poses threats with his clean disposal into the forward 50 and cant see anyone shutting him out for 4 quarters where he has limited influence (maybe bennell or jetta?)

Game can be won in the middle though where we should get first hands on the ball courtesy of jamar/stef vs hale/renouf

Lets hope hodgey plays, if he goes in with limited preparation and a dodgy achilles then the 3 interchange players could hurt them

Cant wait go dees!!

Franklin and Roughead hold the keys to this game. You'd expect them to be smarting from last week's loss and come out all guns blazing.

Huge ask for our backline as well as our midfield to restrict their supply.

We need significantly greater output from our forwards this week as well.

This is a step up in class.

No reason why we can't beat them. Remember we were on top prior to the rain last year. Our contested ball against Sydney was great, maintain that and bring Frawley and Gysberts in and we're a real chance.

I think we will win this game on the pure fact we haven't won against them in ages...we are due for a win...terrible logic i know!

but we need jamar and martin to dominate the ruck..this will give our mids a chance.

Also the natural development of our side in the past year gives us a greater chance; ie., bigger bodied boys and having played more games.

i'm sure melb will name frawley for this match as it's on sunday. whether he plays is another story. here's to hoping!

I think we will win this game on the pure fact we haven't won against them in ages...we are due for a win...terrible logic i know!

but we need jamar and martin to dominate the ruck..this will give our mids a chance.

Also the natural development of our side in the past year gives us a greater chance; ie., bigger bodied boys and having played more games.

i'm sure melb will name frawley for this match as it's on sunday. whether he plays is another story. here's to hoping!

We always dominate the ruck - the problem is Mitchell and Lewis take the ball anyway...

Terrible manners...

We always dominate the ruck - the problem is Mitchell and Lewis take the ball anyway...

Terrible manners...

that's what i meant...with Jamar and Martin dominating the ruck it can make our mids look better.

We need Jamar and Martin to tap the ball down the throats of our midfields...

i think the Hawks are over rated at the start of each season since their flag. Yes they have alot of quality players, but i dont see them in the same league as Collingwood, Saints, Cats etc. They're more like Carlton, lots of good player but over reliant on their dominant player to be dominant.

Tha being said we're probably in the rung below, but our best is good enough to beat them.

I like our backline and think that we can do a good job in this area (even without frawley). The key is stopping their midfield from being able to deliver it to their fowards lace out. Goodes was dominant early last week, but i feel it was more a case of good delivery than poor defending. Our midfield need to be accountable and must apply alot of pressure on the ball carriers - no easy kicks. If we can do that we can give our backline half a chance.

I think we are a chance.

Watched the Hawks v Adelaide game and it was really evident that they lack marking medium forwards to act as genuine targets and alternatives to Franklin and Roughead.

Jamar should also dominate in the Ruck against Renouf. Martin should match it with Hale in the ruck and can also play on him in defence if necessary.

Hodge coming back will improve them but it will be interesting to see how many minutes he can play given his very limited preparation. Franklin will unfortunately have learnt his lesson from last week and get on his bike. The Hawks best players - Hodge, Mitchell, Sewell, Rioli, Franklin, Roughead, Burgoyne, Young - are quality but I'm not sure how deep they bat.

Will be a pressure game for the Hawks for they have loaded up for 'Now' with their recruitment in of older players like Burgoyne, gibson, Hale and Bruce. A 0 - 2 start will see the pressure build at Mulgrave. The pressure on us is to be competitive for the whole game so we don't get blown away and really give ourselves a chance to win.

Also if Cam concedes 2 goals directly from clangers, another from a free kick and then misses from 30 metres himself then our cause will be helped considerably. Only fair really that he assists his old club like he assisted the Crows!

No reason why we can't beat them. Remember we were on top prior to the rain last year. Our contested ball against Sydney was great, maintain that and bring Frawley and Gysberts in and we're a real chance.

Remember this time last year they belted us by 9 goals.

On top of that Hodge will be back he always has a field day against the Dees.

Add in that they frighten us to death before we run out.

I Struggle to see us getting closer than 4 goals on Sunday.

Having watched the Dawks game last week I think we are a strong chance.

We will win the ruck duels and We will have learnt not to let the other side feed off those wins.

That was a big difference in the second half last week.

Garland showed last week that he is not prepared to drop his head which is the key to Franklin and Roughhead.

They will have a good run at some point.

The pressure will be on the Dawks and they come in with "older legs" after a punishing first week and possibly a really suspect mid in Hodge.

If they are bringing him back underdone that is a real advantage to us.

We led them in the first half of the praccy match before we dropped the parcel and that will be fresh in the minds of our team, I bet they will want it more than the dawks.

(Whilst I wish Bruce well as a long and loyal servant of the club, I do hope he repeats last weeks performance where he floated kicks/hand passes and directly caused a goal. Actually I hope thats what they all do.)

the main reason they got away from us last year was the weather turned and it started raining, and thus their bigger bodies pushed us off the ball, if it doesnt rain and the weather stays good, ill back us in, i think our fitness is exceptional and our ability to run out the match could put us in good stead

the main reason they got away from us last year was the weather turned and it started raining, and thus their bigger bodies pushed us off the ball, if it doesnt rain and the weather stays good, ill back us in, i think our fitness is exceptional and our ability to run out the match could put us in good stead

Current forecast for Sunday: min 12o max 19o, partly cloudy, EVENING SHOWER... hmmm... Bloody twilight games!

Edited by stuie