Jack Grimes - does a lot right, but...

titan_uranus

His kicking needs serious work.

I've said it for the last 12 months, but today really showed it. He is just unreliable by foot, and it can cost us dearly.

Don't get me wrong, he is a superb mark, reads the play brilliantly, is selfless and courageous, and usually picks a decent target. But he rarely hits his mark, and his turnovers are too high. It's an area of his game he must lift in if he is to raise himself to the next level. It's a killer.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said it for the last 12 months, but today really showed it. He is just unreliable by foot, and it can cost us dearly.

Don't get me wrong, he is a superb mark, reads the play brilliantly, is selfless and courageous, and usually picks a decent target. But he rarely hits his mark, and his turnovers are too high. It's an area of his game he must lift in if he is to raise himself to the next level. It's a killer.

I LOVE him, but I have to agree.

However, I have to also say that there were at least 4 situations today where NOBODY presented for him. In that situation he kicks to a contest and turns it over.

So sometimes it's a matter of him kicking poorly but sometimes it's a case of teammates not presenting, and he doesn't have the skills to pick a player in a pack like Davey.

I was going to start the same thread. The problem isn't so much his kicking as where he kicks it. Sideways backwards and often tries to thread the needle when it just isn't needed. In the last quarter he started going more direct and as a result he played a lot better.

Disagree, much of the time he picks the right option. When he goes sideways/backwards it's usually because the switch is on. Sometimes he picks the wrong one but I'm happy enough with his choices, what he needs is to improve the execution of the kicks. Too many off the side of the boot, too many are too long or too wide. It's not good enough for him IMO.

Welcome to Demonland - Home of the perfectionist

He is a gun, he is a star when you consider how little footy he's played, but just like every young player, he has deficiencies that must be worked on. He'll admit it I'm sure.

Agreed with the above suggestion that he would be better in the midfield, and long term I still think that's where he'll end up.

He is a gun, he is a star when you consider how little footy he's played, but just like every young player, he has deficiencies that must be worked on. He'll admit it I'm sure.

Agreed with the above suggestion that he would be better in the midfield, and long term I still think that's where he'll end up.

Exactly, he has so much going for him that if he improves the kicking he could really dominate as a midfielder. But as it stands, his kicking is holding him back.

Gotta love his willingness to cut off the supply to Goodes. Repeatedly.

Yep, I guess wanting one of our best players to kick the ball well is pretty OTT.

On that note, I see you have a 'formal' name in Calabreseboy. I think you may mean 'Formerly Calabreseboy'.

Point taken on both points.

That said, you're speaking like as if he has had years to prove himself as a kicker. There are much worse kicks in the league than Grimes, and much worse that get all kinds of accolades. His "poor" kicking is not the end of the world. I'm sure he will improve. How old is he ffs? Same goes for Watts.

Now, if we're talking about a player like Jamar, or Green, or Davey, or Sylvia, I could understand, but this thread is really just a vent for people that want the absolute world, and more, from a bunch of young adults that are already trying their guts out to be the best.

Considering everything else he does on the field and the way in which he contributes to the team's progression and success, I'm sure we can bypass his in-progress kicking quality, as bad as it may be.

My OP stands.

Edited by Cudi_420

Half our team showed below average kicking skills today but Grimes had a shocker.

His reading of the play - oustanding.

Courage - outstanding

Contested marking - outstanding.

Hitting a target - really poor.

He had an off game with his disposal, he has played a few where he has hardly put a foot wrong.

We also struggle to beat the zone coming out of defence... and because Grimes takes so many marks as third man up he is the one looking up the field taking a kick in hope.

The efficiency was down across the board because of superb pressure from both sides. The fact we kept Sydney from scoring for a whole minute in that last stanza was quite impressive -- they had about 4 or 5 chances for a snap, and one of our players was right there to stop it. Absolutely spewing they got a kick off.

But the pressure was amazing all-round. I think it's a little hasty to get on the back of a player who read the play so well and contributed where need. He might not have hit a target effectively, but most players at the jitters today.

Grimes wasn't great in the first quarter where his disposal by foot was costly (including that out on the full). I thought he got better as the game went on BUT there was at least one occasion when he went up and spoiled a rivers mark and left his opponent loose on the goal side of a pack. I've got no problem with him going up in packs provided a) he doesn't leave his man loose near goal and B) he makes sure he punches the ball forward, further away from goal - he really has to clear it.

He also had goals kicked on him a couple of times when he went to 'guard' the space in front of the full forward and his man was loose in front of him and was able to get uncontested ball. I realise this is a team plan thing but he shouldn't drop back unless someone comes and takes his man for him first.

He had an off game with his disposal, he has played a few where he has hardly put a foot wrong.

We also struggle to beat the zone coming out of defence... and because Grimes takes so many marks as third man up he is the one looking up the field taking a kick in hope.

I don't agree that this was a one-off, I've been noticing it for a year now.

Agree with the second point though, some of the time he's forced into long bombs or sideways options because he's the one putting his body on the line to get the ball.

Grimes kicking seems to be worse over short distances and when he tries to do it off one step. That is perhaps the hardest kick of all to execute, and maybe he just shouldn't try it so much. He could take another couple of steps (if there's space) & get balanced, instead of trying to kick off-balance off one step.

Or maybe someone about 40m away needs to start moving as soon as he marks it and provide a longer option into space.

BTW, in the midfield this wouldn't happen so much because he'd be moving more often when he kicks.

It looks bad, but it's fixable.

That's why I've been pushing for Trengove to get a go back on the flank, switching Grimes to in&under Mid. Grimes knows how to defend & we're a little young in the middle. Grimes needs to start his midfield apprenticeship soon I think & the same for Trengove off the back flank.

Trenners is a really nice kick and decisision maker, and IMO, would be a great Flanker, in the mould of Hogde of maybe, Doull.. He can still move into the mids anytime we choose.

Grimes, if he went inside the square, would give us some more maturity, physical & mental toughness, to aid Moloney and Jones. Our defence is starting to settle a little over the last year, with Bartram, Frawley, Garland, McDonald, & Rivers fairly settled. But we do need some more 'Class', with the disposal issue, and they need good decision makers.

I think Trengove is ahead of schedule, in the maturity & decision making stakes.. He's good over head, reliable, composed, with beautifull disposal skills & choosing good options.

Lets see him, and see his vision.

Edited by dee-luded

His kicking is not reliable enough in the opposition forward fifty and i think it cost us 3 goals today. He needs to compose himself more and make better decisions.

My solution to Jack is release him into the midfield

his disposal was appaling today, too often kicking it to the opposition, or a team mate in a worse position, it is not always like this and it is just more noticeable because he gets the ball so much.

today he was defensively poor too with his opponents in the first half killing it.

another problem today, was with him backing into the pack and leaving his opponent on the ground, he did this a few times spoiling rivers or macdonald and leading to his opponent getting the ball on the crumbs. but this is obviously due to his overhead marking being so good and more often than not he takes the grab, but when he doesnt it leads to a direct turnover and usually a scoring shot.

having said that he is going to be a freak, and no doubting he will kill it, but today he was noticeably poor. i also think that as supporters we have a pretty high expectation of him and he still hasnt played 50 games so we have to expect a few not up to par performances.

He's the new Jones.

Burst onto the scene, hard at it, everyone fell in love... but he can't kick to save his life.

The worrying part is he misses targets with all the time in the world.

Of course he has more tricks than Jones and is obviously valuable, but he'll lose fans at this rate. Got the bronx cheers when he finally hit a target today.

Got the bronx cheers when he finally hit a target today.

Pathetic from an otherwise really good crowd today.

Bronx cheer a guy who has played 27 games and is constantly under pressure and constantly puts his body on the line for the team. What heroes! :rolleyes:

On the plus side, he won't have a worse game by foot... He really was good. Got on the "good" votes for MMM.

Even though he butchered it, so did our forwards. When he kept rebounding the ball in the last quarter I found myself saying "thank god" more than I found myself saying "bloody Grimes."