Newton Given Another Chance

rusty_corner

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez George - it's very clear you don't like Newton. It makes sense that Robert Campbell was the first choice elevation, but he is way off with an achilles injury. We had to elevate someone today or wait until Round 11 or the next LTI. Our deficiencies are in the relief ruck. Spenser's good at hit outs but that's it. It seems to be a case of Martin v Newton. They'll give Martin the first few games to show something or Newton takes over. Pretty simple to me - by no means ideal but not too many options. Tom McDonald looks a llikly prospect down the track.

Since he is already injured, is there any chance we can put him on the long-term injury list now and elevate someone else??

What an absolute waste of money. We have to pay him more now to do what?

As others have noted he won't be available for the first 3 matches in any case. If he is good enough by mid-season we could have elevated him under the AFL rules. WHY NOW?

Does anyone seriously think he can fit into the 22? Up forward he would have to replace Watts or Jurrah. To be the shortest ruck in the contest he would have to replace Jamar, Spencer and Martin.

IF we get to this situation we would have been able to elevate him then under the long term injury rules.

If there were no standout candidates, then no-one should have been elevated. Don't reward mediocrity or seniority. We need those with the talent and drive to succeed ( ala Jordie McKenzie)

I agree George. Simply can't understand the logic. He's been out all pre season injured, it's not like he's been knocking the door down with his performances. The match committee must have been impressed with his tweeting and FIFA conquests!

It does appears they do have to nominate someone and I would have thought Evans or Nicholson were better options. I guess they wanted the young kids to earn their stripes, but still.

For those of you saying it's as a backup ruck option, when has he ever played a half decent game at any level in the ruck? At the moment we have Jamar and Spencer, then Martin, then if they go down I would much prefer seeing Gawn thrown to the wolves than Juice as ruck. We'd be stuffed anyway, might as well get some games into the kid.

Ok on the face of it this is ridiculous....

BUT

This could be about putting him on the list for the following reasons:

1. As all have pointed out spare ruck and have one last look at him.

2. At the end of the year we need to make 3 compulsory delistings, if Scully stays it will be tight to see who actually goes. Maybe the FD figure they get a year to really look at he and Steph Martin and then at the end of the year it makes at least one delisting off the main list. They then only need to find another two. I get the feeling they dont feel they currently have 3 certainties to delist atm due to most players being early on in their careers. This could give them at least one easy out....

Just a thought...

Yep! And I think he is there to give rivalry to Martin, & Martin to rival him. As well, we let Brad M go to tiges, to allow the younger ones, not teenagers, a last chance to prove something, one way or the other. There is an age gap between these boys,,, and Howe, Watts, Fitzpatrick, Cook, Davis, McDonald.

Geez George - it's very clear you don't like Newton. It makes sense that Robert Campbell was the first choice elevation, but he is way off with an achilles injury. We had to elevate someone today or wait until Round 11 or the next LTI. Our deficiencies are in the relief ruck. Spenser's good at hit outs but that's it. It seems to be a case of Martin v Newton. They'll give Martin the first few games to show something or Newton takes over. Pretty simple to me - by no means ideal but not too many options. Tom McDonald looks a llikly prospect down the track.

Sounds right Roger, give Martin the first crack for 5 or 6 Rnds, then Newton for the next 5 or 6. After that we should have a pretty good Idea who's likely to continue improving next year.

Around Mid season, I think Campbell should be about ready to give the Russian a chop out, here and there.

Spencer will have to keep working hard to take a spot from Jamar.

He is like a stalker ex boyfriend who won't leave you alone

And just like said ex you're only gonna go back to them when desperate, drunk, and when all other semi viable options have left the country.

LOL!

And we are the battered wife.

This is such a bad, uninspired choice by the footy department, whatever the interchange rules.

LOL!

And we are the battered wife.

This is such a bad, uninspired choice by the footy department, whatever the interchange rules.

Battered wife.

Maybe we should have drafted the battered Sav instead. Then those battered 'wives', may be satisfied.

Jaded's post was actually quite funny & clever.

The posts following on from that aren't, and it's got little to do with them being in poor taste.

Honestly, if you're going to make a joke, can it at least be mildly funny..?

Edited by Keyser Söze

Juice has the attributes that could make him an ideal Sub. Can ruck and go fwd. Played back in the China game and did OK.

It's his pea-heart that worries me and the fact he is hopeless below his knees. Oh yeah, he gets bumped off the ball too easily and misses easy set shots. Other than that it's an inspired choice that will surely have opposition teams wondering WTF is going on down at Demonland...

Still can't work out why Bails recruits an always injured,just a ruckman,Robert Campbell and lets PJ go.Sure PJ is no star but he's more than a handy backup.

Hawthorn got rid of Campbell for a reason,he's a dud,an always injured dud.

Let's see who has the better year!

Guest Thomo

Juice has the attributes that could make him an ideal Sub. Can ruck and go fwd. Played back in the China game and did OK.

It's his pea-heart that worries me and the fact he is hopeless below his knees. Oh yeah, he gets bumped off the ball too easily and misses easy set shots. Other than that it's an inspired choice that will surely have opposition teams wondering WTF is going on down at Demonland...

Newton has shown nothing in 6 years to suggest that he can either ruck or go forward.

In my opinion this is a poor decision.

I liked Michael Evans!!!

Elevating Newton makes us look like we're going BACKWARDS...

Oh well... I hope for Juice's sake he plays a nice versatile role for the Scorpians this year. :)

Actually it might just be an inspired choice under the new rules.Who better to sit on the pine in a green jacket week in week out? Just think .... if the starting 21 can get through every game, he could go through the season without any AFL - or VFL - game time!!

If this is a joke its in bad taste..... I'm bewildered

I'll back and support anyone wearing a Red & Blue jumper

But this is really pushing the limits.

Apart from one speccie and goaled, has done nothing since to warrant

keeping him, maybe a name change is due here.

Jiuce to Blossom, maybe one day he;ll blossom into a AFL footballer.

Good luck to him, he;s harder to remove than rust.

Anyone know where or how to contact B. Grgic ??

may as well play both in tandem.

Don't confuse poor self belief, with a pea heart.. There very different.

Many who believe in themselves have a pea heart. Run off, when things get hard.

Edited by dee-luded

Still can't work out why Bails recruits an always injured,just a ruckman,Robert Campbell and lets PJ go.Sure PJ is no star but he's more than a handy backup.

Hawthorn got rid of Campbell for a reason,he's a dud,an always injured dud.

Let's see who has the better year!

He's a 1, or 2Yr insurance policy for Jamar, whilst Spencer, then Gawn, make it through.

The upside is that if we get him past his chronic injuries, then we could have a very good ruck. He's still youthfull.

Ok on the face of it this is ridiculous....

BUT

This could be about putting him on the list for the following reasons:

1. As all have pointed out spare ruck and have one last look at him.

2. At the end of the year we need to make 3 compulsory delistings, if Scully stays it will be tight to see who actually goes. Maybe the FD figure they get a year to really look at he and Steph Martin and then at the end of the year it makes at least one delisting off the main list. They then only need to find another two. I get the feeling they dont feel they currently have 3 certainties to delist atm due to most players being early on in their careers. This could give them at least one easy out....

Just a thought...

He is still technically a rookie and as such cannot be part of the three delistings from the main list.

Newton has shown nothing in 6 years to suggest that he can either ruck or go forward.

In my opinion this is a poor decision.

He's not in the 22...

He's just closest of the long shots on the RL to play a game due to our back-up ruck options.

Doubt he will play, who cares.

Haven't been near a computer in 3 days - so I immediately visit good old 'Land to get up to date and .... NEWTON IS ELEVATED!!!! I am not much of a swearing man but if anything makes me want to, it is this. @#$%*$!! Newton does have the skills and brains to play at AFL level but will not push through his natural abilities and extend himself into that zone required by athlete athletes, or in this case, elite footballers. I have never seen him push and extend himslef in a game. At VFL level he is able to rely on his natural ability and he therefore excels. AFL requires an application of will, and an ability to continue when feeling beaten or exhausted and in this he has shown to be really poor. Bad decision Melbourne.

One poster wrote that there is one position up for grabs between Stef Martin and Newton. If we use our substitue position between these two blokes our chances of winning reduce immediately by 5 - 10%. Other clubs, especially the good ones will plan around the lack of intensity provided by these two. I am not knocking Stef Martin and I have him in as the sub for my round 1 team, but he also needs to demonstrate that he can push his limits if he wants to succeed.

If you reckon I am slightly annoyed.. you are right.

Edited by Maldonboy38

Who Goodes ?...an overrated spud ? ? gOLLy !

2 x Brownlows; matchwinner.

Can't agree more, High Tower. Although there have been better footballers, Goodes at his best and Kouta at his best were simply unstoppable. Tall, athletic, quick, amazing skills, goal kicker, can crash a pack - yep, the whole package. To call him an overrated spud is simple envy. Can you imagine him in a Dees jumper. Shivers down the spine.

Edited by Maldonboy38