BITTER, SWEET, BITTER

Demonland

BITTER, SWEET, BITTER by Van Demon

The good news is that, according to the official records, Melbourne did not report any injuries from the game. Of course, this does not mean that the club finished the night injury free - only that it does not wish to publicise any injuries or niggles that might have affected its players after its 27 point defeat at the hands of Hawthorn. Unofficially, I was told that there were a few players suffering from corkies and other assorted ailments that are probably not serious but will need to be looked at over the coming fortnight.

The other good news is that the team started like a house on fire, kicking the first four goals and taking a 16 point lead into the huddle at quarter time which should have been more but for the fact that the defence suffered from a couple of poor lapses of concentration. Addam Maric booted the opening two goals and Jack Grimes and Colin Sylvia were in sparkling form.

The first sign of any problems came in the second quarter. Really, a couple of soft frees and more defensive errors allowed the Hawks back into the game and then, just when the Demons started to reassert themselves and had the opportunity to build a decent lead at the main break, a few vital marks were spilled and Hawthorn took full advantage. It was still a meritorious effort to hold a 13 point lead at half time.

Unfortunately, all of the good work was undone in the first ten minutes of the third quarter when the Hawks piled on four goals. Heads dropped and the screws were applied. Poor decisions were made under pressure and the team was beaten out of the middle and in most positions on the ground.

After Melbourne's promising start to the pre-season in Adelaide, I have been disappointed to see the drop off in enthusiasm and confidence over recent weeks. Let's hope the real thing beings about a new attitude and some better form.

Kudos to Aaron Davey and Addam Maric. They did what was expected of them.

Melbourne 5.1.31 8.1.49 9.2.56 12.3.75

Hawthorn 2.3.15 5.5.35 11.9.75 15.12 102

Goals

Melbourne Maric 3 Jurrah 2 Bate Davey Green Jamar Moloney Petterd Scully

Hawthorn Shiels 3 Whitecross 2 Birchall Bruce Burgoyne Guerra Hale Lisle Savage Sewell Smith Young

Best Davey Maric Grimes Sylvia Jamar

Hawthorn Shiels Sewell Birchall Guerra

Injuries

Melbourne Nil

Hawthorn Nil

Reports

Melbourne Nil

Hawthorn Nil

Crowd 4,010 at Aurora Stadium

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So lets look at this dispassionately..........

Melbourne travel to Tassie to play the Hawks. Start like a house on fire and have a solid first half.

Melbourne dissapoint in the third and the last just peters out.

There are no injuries.

With no vision of the game, no poster on here can accurately talk about how the game was played or what took place.

All we have is MB's updates and from that it seems basically to be a case of:

Much improved pressure this week and took it up to a top 8 and likely top 4 team for a half.

Fell away a bit but without knowing the coaching moves or players positions it is a bit hard to gauge why.

Ball use still average- especially going forward

Once again when our forwards do actually get their hands on it their conversion and potency is good.

Plenty to work on. Also some things to be pleased with.

Two weeks now to gear up. Bring it on....................

(PS- Grimes for AA Captain)

We seem to have problems everywhere but the midfield without Trengove and McKenzie is too one dimensional and slow. Something has to be done and my recommendation is Jack Grimes into the middle. Sure we need him down back but we need a boost in the middle a whole lot more.

Aside from that, we need a bullet or another tough season backons. It's not good enough to drift aimlessly through the season but that's where we seem to be heading if the last three games are any indication.

We seem to have problems everywhere but the midfield without Trengove and McKenzie is too one dimensional and slow. Something has to be done and my recommendation is Jack Grimes into the middle. Sure we need him down back but we need a boost in the middle a whole lot more.

Aside from that, we need a bullet or another tough season backons. It's not good enough to drift aimlessly through the season but that's where we seem to be heading if the last three games are any indication.

Because the pre-season last year was a great indication.....................

I suppose it could be argued that if we're expecting to do much better this year than last, then we should be expecting much better performances in the pre season as well. After a good start in NAB Cup Week One we haven't done a great deal to inspire any confidence for any great improvement.

I am very confident we are better prepared than last year

A good start is a plus as that is one of the things we didn't do consistently last season

one thing that worries me is the lack of defensive pressure from our fowards as it seemed

via the Burgan text than the Hawks rebounded out of our forward 50 far too much

No injuries is great news

I suppose it could be argued that if we're expecting to do much better this year than last, then we should be expecting much better performances in the pre season as well. After a good start in NAB Cup Week One we haven't done a great deal to inspire any confidence.

Why?

how many pre-season games did Sydney win in their top years, or any years under Roos for that matter? None until last year. Yet they won a flag and were runners up in two of those years.

It means nothing.

Pre-season pro's:

- Maric

- Introducing our new recruits to AFL

- NO INJURIES!!!

- Maric

- Maric

Pre-season cons:

- 2/5 games won...

- Too many rebounds out of our D50 for my liking

- No J. Frawley to inspire the defense

- Losing to Brissy in Melbourne :/

- Winning culture not there???

Important to note pro's and con's are VERY hard in the pre-season games when players are not competing at 100%. They play in spurts and then take the foot off. A. Davey is a great example of this. Ditto Col Sylvia. All part of physical management I think.

BRING ON ROUND 1

Gee we are an ordinary football team.... Frustrating to be a supporter of a team that hasn't had a back bone for 26 years and is regarded by many to be softest in the comp and a team that doesn't win contested footy.

Pre season or not we are in trouble this year again. I am watching Collingwood atm and I look and think, there not a skillful team at all but [censored] they great in contested situations. Footy is changing.

We draft players like Watts, Blease, Strauss & Morton because they have sublime skill but no heart. You can never teach courage and mongrel none of these players will ever have either of these traits cause they have never shown it in there life. Then you have a look at who Collingwood draft. Drawes, Sidebottom, Beams & Wellingham all players that aren't scared of body contact.

I hate to player bash but gee I'm sick of complacency at MFC. Is it just me or are we actually a soft footy club supporters included? Can someone tell me why Jack Watts can't attack the ball like Hurley? Don't tell me it's cause he's 19. What are we going to be saying in 3 weeks when he's 20. Can someone tell me why Strauss and Morton are scared of body contact? I play footy as I'm sure many of you do and there is nothing worse when someone doesn't out there body on the line for the team. On the flip side there is nothing better then seeing a young 16/17 year old tearing in cause all they want is respect from there peers

I just feel let down that there isn't enough players who have the ability/commitment to show something.

So far Maric and Jetta seem the only players to make significant improvement from last year. That's not going to do us any good.

We should have a plethora of players pushing up. It can't be Frawley, Scully, Grimes, Trengove. We know what level they are at.

But mid range players like Bate, Dunn, Bail, Jones, Bartram, Macdonald and Garland should be firing on all cylinders not just going through the paces.

And where is the significant improvement from Bennell, Watts, Blease, Strauss, Tapscott, Gysberts. All these players look too comfortable or seem to losing their battle against injuries.

I just feel let down that there isn't enough players who have the ability/commitment to show something.

So far Maric and Jetta seem the only players to make significant improvement from last year. That's not going to do us any good.

We should have a plethora of players pushing up. It can't be Frawley, Scully, Grimes, Trengove. We know what level they are at.

But mid range players like Bate, Dunn, Bail, Jones, Bartram, Macdonald and Garland should be firing on all cylinders not just going through the paces.

And where is the significant improvement from Bennell, Watts, Blease, Strauss, Tapscott, Gysberts. All these players look too comfortable or seem to losing their battle against injuries.

Great call. If Simon Buckley can improve enough to get a game in a premiership team (I know it's pre season but they have a fairly strong team in and i wouldn't be surprised if he played some handy games for them this year. The footy he played at MFC for 3 years he shouldn't be anywhere near cracking a game) Then you ask the question? how come we can't get highly rated draft picks to improve across the board

Gee we are an ordinary football team.... Frustrating to be a supporter of a team that hasn't had a back bone for 26 years and is regarded by many to be softest in the comp and a team that doesn't win contested footy.

Pre season or not we are in trouble this year again. I am watching Collingwood atm and I look and think, there not a skillful team at all but [censored] they great in contested situations. Footy is changing.

We draft players like Watts, Blease, Strauss & Morton because they have sublime skill but no heart. You can never teach courage and mongrel none of these players will ever have either of these traits cause they have never shown it in there life. Then you have a look at who Collingwood draft. Drawes, Sidebottom, Beams & Wellingham all players that aren't scared of body contact.

I hate to player bash but gee I'm sick of complacency at MFC. Is it just me or are we actually a soft footy club supporters included? Can someone tell me why Jack Watts can't attack the ball like Hurley? Don't tell me it's cause he's 19. What are we going to be saying in 3 weeks when he's 20. Can someone tell me why Strauss and Morton are scared of body contact? I play footy as I'm sure many of you do and there is nothing worse when someone doesn't out there body on the line for the team. On the flip side there is nothing better then seeing a young 16/17 year old tearing in cause all they want is respect from there peers

Tell me you are joking!! Pretty sure 3 of those blokes didnt play tonight, one has yet to debut another has played 2 games in his career and you have written them all off after a 4 goal loss in a meaningless practice match??? WOWEE!!!

No major injuries during all pre season matches..that`ll do me. Results are meaningless until a fortnights time.

Tell me you are joking!! Pretty sure 3 of those blokes didnt play tonight, one has yet to debut another has played 2 games in his career and you have written them all off after a 4 goal loss in a meaningless practice match??? WOWEE!!!

No major injuries during all pre season matches..that`ll do me. Results are meaningless until a fortnights time.

Meaningless to the supporters but to the players I reckon they were expecting more this pre season.. It's not the amount we lost by it's the way we lost. Not winning clearances no tackling in the forward line. Very deflating for the boys I'm sure.

Not writing any of them off all of them are my favourite players I just want them to stop shirking the issue. Doesn't matter how many games you play if your scared at TAC or VFL level your going to be scared at AFL level. Don't tell me you think they are courageous players? All I was stating was that we have recruited "skillful" players where as Collingwood who are just as young recruited Beams, Sidebottom and Blair in the same years and are playing some fair footy for being in the system such a short time.

I'm just worried that footy is changing into a rolling scrum. I heard Leigh Mathews ( I hate him don't get me wrong) say you may as well build sky scrapers in the center if the ground this year cause no one is going through there this year. Our game is built on players that use the ball well and carry the lines.

Edited by Clanger King

Bit of truth in that. The more i watch Hurley the more i wish Watts would have a crack. Maybe once he fills out he might go a bit harder but still no excuse. Morton is very soft but is good enough to get away with it. Blease the jury is out, he deserves a chance. Strauss looks like a deer in the headlights. Not so much scared of body contact but very slow in the big league. As campbell Brown said to him rd 1 last year "you are the worst player on the ground by a mile" I would throw Bennell into the players that need to harden up, he shirked it three times in a game last year.

Lets not foget we have drafted Tapscott who will play footy forus this year and drafted some bigger bodied players this year. TIme will tell and we will know more in about a month i suspect.

What the????? "And where is the significant improvement from Bennell, Watts, Blease, Strauss, Tapscott, Gysberts"

I nearly chocked, Watts showed a vast improvement last year, and will improve this year. Blease broke his leg!!! You expect him firing already.. Tapscott played his FIRST game last week and in the first half was probably best on ground behind Jetta... and Gysberts has only played 3 games, all of which were pretty damn impressive before being injured. I don't think they are losing their battle with injuries, I think you are just impatient.

2011 will bring improvements, just maybe not as much as you are hoping for. 2012 - 2016 are the years for me!

Bit of truth in that. The more i watch Hurley the more i wish Watts would have a crack. Maybe once he fills out he might go a bit harder but still no excuse. Morton is very soft but is good enough to get away with it. Blease the jury is out, he deserves a chance. Strauss looks like a deer in the headlights. Not so much scared of body contact but very slow in the big league. As campbell Brown said to him rd 1 last year "you are the worst player on the ground by a mile" I would throw Bennell into the players that need to harden up, he shirked it three times in a game last year.

Lets not foget we have drafted Tapscott who will play footy forus this year and drafted some bigger bodied players this year. TIme will tell and we will know more in about a month i suspect.

he looks slow yet hes not.

runs a 42(i think) 400m, well he used to....

Lets go through these one by one shall we....

It's not good enough to drift aimlessly through the season but that's where we seem to be heading if the last three games are any indication.

Not sure how you came to this conclusion. But it's your opinion. On that basis though, geez Geelong are going to be horrible. And Freo are taking a massive step backwards. It's pre-season. Lets take a deep breath. There is no need to go 110% for 4 quarters in a game that means diddly squat. And also...did you have a telecast of the game tonight? Because you seem to have been able to read quite a lot into some words on a screen.

Another example from Collingwood. Dale Thomas. When drafted he was as [censored] scared as anybody on a football field. Maturity and experience have brought him a tougher edge to his game, and maybe even a bit of courage and mongrel. Previously, I doubt he had ever shown it in his life.

If we are in the business of singling out players to try and make a compelling argument, then lets look at the other side of this. Melbourne have drafted the likes of Grimes, Bail, Tapscott, Jetta, McKenzie & Trengove - all players that aren't scared of body contact.

Depends which way you look at it really. Depends which handful of players you decided to choose to make your argument seem feasible.

Wow. That's a little bit rich. I could write a paragraph on each, but I will just choose the most stupid for now.

Blease - Really? The kid has managed to get back from a pretty terrible injury and make it out on the park. What kind of improvement are you expecting to see? Actually...from what base are you starting at? Hard to gauge improvement when the kid has barely had a chance to step across the white line. If you are disappointed that he hasn't played every single pre season game - its called player management.

Tapscott - Really? From all reports he was quite good last week for his first ever hit out at senior level and from the snippets tonight he seemed okay. Now sure how you can judge improvement again on a player who hasn't had the chance to kick a ball in anger in a proper AFL match.

Gysberts - Really? He has played what, 3 games? If you want improvement, he is going to need to average over 20 odd disposals a game this year. In my opinion he looked pretty good last year...and correct me if I'm wrong, but dont you think its fair that he at least has a chance to have a crack in 2011 before he is judged to have not improved?

Great call. If Simon Buckley can improve enough to get a game in a premiership team (I know it's pre season but they have a fairly strong team in and i wouldn't be surprised if he played some handy games for them this year.

I would be surprised if he played a game for them this year.

Meaningless to the supporters but to the players I reckon they were expecting more this pre season.. It's not the amount we lost by it's the way we lost. Not winning clearances no tackling in the forward line. Very deflating for the boys I'm sure

Do you have access to some kind of stats that none of us have been privy to? Or vision? Another with in depth knowledge of how the game panned out without actually seeing it.

I don't post on here much (obviously). But after just completing the round trip from Hobart to aurora stadium I am too tired to write something in depth about the game. Sufficed to say this was a practice game. It looked like one in the last half especially. But there was certainly enough in the first half to make you think that this year is definitely going to be better than last year.

I don't post on here much (obviously). But after just completing the round trip from Hobart to aurora stadium I am too tired to write something in depth about the game. Sufficed to say this was a practice game. It looked like one in the last half especially. But there was certainly enough in the first half to make you think that this year is definitely going to be better than last year.

From someone who ACTUALLY went to the game and LAID EYES on the match, as opposed to TEXT!!

Cheers mate.