Jack Watts

Steamin Demon

do you honestly think Watts will end up being the same type of player as Daws? Justin Westhoff maybe.....

Even if he puts on the Muscle i doubt he'll play the same style. I bet Daws was a bigger bodied youngster too....

You splitting hairs on this unnecessarily.

They will both be KPFs who will be focusses up forward.

They will both take time to mature.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A comparison with Hurley?

Hurley was a man when he was an under 18. He was an old fashioned footballer with a strong body in under 18s and so the level of development he needed to compete at AFL level was not particularly high. His game is about being smart and being strong, with his major weakness being that he is slow.

Compared with Watts, who was pencil thin and had a game based upon athleticism and ball use. He has played some very good games when pushing up the ground (which suits his skinny frame and athleticism). He is now pushing deeper into attack and showing some good signs, but is still being pushed around by bigger defenders which he is struggling with.

Interesting the comparison with Hurley. I worked with his dad and at the time he was drafted we spoke a lot of who was going where and predicting the top 16.

i remember he had some slight doubts on Watts and lots of doubts on Natanui for different reasons. As the draft drew closer his son played on Watts and beat him and Watts was shifted up the ground but still did ok. he watched this and another subsequent game of Watts and suprisingly had pretty high praise for him. we did a top 16 as he knew and had seen most of the talent quite a bit, and he had Daniel Rich pick 1 and Watts pick 2 based purely on best players, not where they would go to each club. He was never going to nominate his son of course even though he had Watts measure at that stage, but he could see just this natural talent and skill in Watts you cannot find in most players. His comments were along the line 'you can see it but it's just not there yet'.

He had real doubts Natanui would be able to learn the game quickly enough. He also thought James Frawley was the one player to base the defence around, and he was right on that one.

You can read the live feed from Matt Burgan.

Watts needs to lift, as does many of his more seasoned teammates.

He is also a huge investment and the future of this club - he needs to be developed and that, as hard a pill as it is, means he has and will get games he didn't 'deserve.'

All things being equal, he shouldn't have played half his games so far.

But things aren't equal, and nor should they be.

I might be wrong - I didn't watch the game - but I took it that Burgan's 'hasn't had much of the ball' (or something similar) was code for 'not playing so well', since it was the response given to questions about how every player who didn't play well was doing. Fair enough too, since he naturally doesn't want to be potting blokes on the MFC site.

I might be wrong - I didn't watch the game - but I took it that Burgan's 'hasn't had much of the ball' (or something similar) was code for 'not playing so well', since it was the response given to questions about how every player who didn't play well was doing. Fair enough too, since he naturally doesn't want to be potting blokes on the MFC site.

Actually I think that's more eluding to the fact we're currently getting bugger all inside 50's, been an article since where Bails has said as much...

A comparison with Hurley?

Hurley was a man when he was an under 18. He was an old fashioned footballer with a strong body in under 18s and so the level of development he needed to compete at AFL level was not particularly high. His game is about being smart and being strong, with his major weakness being that he is slow.

Compared with Watts, who was pencil thin and had a game based upon athleticism and ball use. He has played some very good games when pushing up the ground (which suits his skinny frame and athleticism). He is now pushing deeper into attack and showing some good signs, but is still being pushed around by bigger defenders which he is struggling with.

These are two completely different players. For two people that play the same position, I'd struggle to think of two people that were more different in style.

What sort of development do the two have left in them?

Hurley might get a little bit stronger, which will mean he can do the same thing he does now a little bit better. He's a pretty good player now and he should make some improvement.

Watts will get stronger and it will allow him to play the game completely differently. With added strength he can play deeper to goal and compete under the high ball. That's his biggest problem at the moment, but he's getting much better at it. Plus he's still going to be able to push up the ground and turn his man around like he does now, so you can't just play a gorilla on him.

The real time when Watts will become hugely dangerous is when he starts getting too strong for at opposition's most mobile tall defender. Then he'll force the opposition to make a decision between mobility and strength, the way Riewoldt does.

This will take some time, since he is only 19 years old. It may not happen until he is 23.

Look at Goddard, who is a different player but had a similar issue. He was a tall midfielder/flanker but very skinny. For years he was said to underperform. Then, when he finally grew into his frame and became physically on par (and even superior) among his peers, he was able to dominate and play all over the ground. It took Goddard a long time, but we all know how that turned out.

Great post. Agree 100%.

Which means he will end up a similar height and weight to Stephen Kernahan... who didn't make his VFL debut until age 23..

err, because he was playing in the SANFL against MEN?!!

Not sure if anyone else caught it but this morning on Today, during sports news there was a snippet onWatts. Suggesting he intends to okay this season with more aggression and assert himself more. He's a gangly kid morphing into a mans body. A lot goes on in ok Jacks head I feel. He thinks a lot through, possibly too much. He's getting used to his newer, bigger body. It's very much a mental thing; you can have that body but not really know( or have the confidence) what it ca/can't do. He's getting comfortable with his new muscular suit and as a little more adds( and adds) he be pressing himself more and more on his opposition.

With each successful application cones more confidence etc etc. He has the talent, he's building the bravado,

I like the Dawes comparison, Goddard too in a way. Much is about self belief, the idea that not only do you belong out there but that you can impose. He's getting there :)

Actually I think that's more eluding to the fact we're currently getting bugger all inside 50's, been an article since where Bails has said as much...

As I said, I can't speak for the match, but I'll just note that Burgan also said exactly the same thing about guys who I've heard didn't play well, and certainly weren't playing forward.

Watts will end up 100kg, 196cm, strong, toned athlete/footballer. He'll easily be able to bust open a pack and then out run nearly everyone to kick the goal. He's going to be an incredible weapon at 23 - 24 years of age. The only thing he has to learn is to kick goals when he has the chance and hit packs at full pace. Can't really see either of those things being a problem for him.

He'll be an incredible weapon just in time for free agency, Just a thought.

He'll be an incredible weapon just in time for free agency, Just a thought.

This could be the first sign of FA hysteria on these boards. For me, FA means sweet FA for the time being.

Keep your thoughts to yourself Steamin. ;)

Wonnabeeri - "

This is one of the dumbest threads I have read on here. Lets leave out the here-say. I would be willing to bet $100 that Jack Watts lines up Round 1 for the demons.
"

Golly - "

I'll up you to $200 that he dosen't. How's that?
"

Steamin - "

Have your money ready at gate one at 1pm gameday.

"

Teams

Melbourne

B: Clint Bartram, Jared Rivers, Joel Macdonald

HB: Jack Grimes, Colin Garland, Jamie Bennell

C: Nathan Jones, Brent Moloney, Luke Tapscott

HF: Rohan Bail, Colin Sylvia, Liam Jurrah

F: Jack Watts, Brad Green, Addam Maric

FOLL: Mark Jamar, Lynden Dunn, Aaron Davey

I/C (from): Neville Jetta, Stef Martin, Ricky Petterd, Jake Spencer, James Strauss, Jack Trengove, Matthew Warnock

New: Luke Tapscott (North Adelaide, SA)

So,um, Gate 1 at 1pm on game day right? Looks like I just became $300 richer!

Hopefully that $300 goes to a good cause.............

Like what ?

If he receives it, which I doubt, I hope he puts it in his back pocket - where it belongs.

Wonnabeeri - ""

Golly - ""

Steamin - ""

Teams

Melbourne

I/C (from): Neville Jetta, Stef Martin, Ricky Petterd, Jake Spencer, James Strauss, Jack Trengove, Matthew Warnock

Forward line looks like it could trouble a depleted Swans defence...

Nah, it will go to the club or the Mt.Theo program.

Terrific, but I'm not really interested.

My point was that I hate it when others proffer what people should do with their gains. It's nobody elses business.

Wonnabeeri - ""

Golly - ""

Steamin - ""

Teams

Melbourne

So,um, Gate 1 at 1pm on game day right? Looks like I just became $300 richer!

I'll be seeing him shortly so I'll let you know.