Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The Brendan Fevola Saga

jacey

If he is at Casey, I understand it's not ideal, but it's far from a disaster.

I agree, but that small variant could be the difference between a great season & a poor one. We are part of a very elite competition, and there are 16 other clubs very happy not to have this bit of weight slowing them down.

I hope the MFC is absolutely Furious over this. This is like when a business partner does the dirty on you....Shall be fascinating to see how 2011 plays out now.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the video posts : Cat Ballou and Joe South : they are great and make some good observations

The downsides are evident to everyone - the possibility of introducing a poisonous and self-centred or self- and team-destructive atmosphere into a squad that is growing together.

In this respect the initial Club response is the correct one : Great Reservations ( i.e. we totally ( TOTALLY) remain to be convinced )

I keep thinking of Martin Pike and what a pity it was that he simply would NOT knuckle down until he was on his very very last chance at his third club - Brisbane - ( and how he then played in - I think - 3 premiership sides and I've always wondered why it was unfortunately inevitable that he would not play his best football for our club).

Now I wouldn't imagine that Brendan has that much football left in him .......... but just suppose that he doesn't enjoy being in the B team ...... just suppose that he does actually realise there will be zero chances after this ....... suppose he continues to be a prima donna in the forward line ( 96.8 probability ) but suppose other developing players can learn from the game time and events - for better and for worse - the senior coach could probably turn it all to the positive ulimately.

To me the next concern is the fact that he simply WILL NOT chase in the forward line - effectively giving the oppostion a free man in their backline.

I can't see how he can play for MFC while he won't chase ( in the case of one of the Roccas it used to be called "lack of aerobic capacity" )

If he won't/can't do this - then it takes a stretch to see how he could help MFC ( but here's hoping anyway - hang on for the ride )

Demon Hill posted...I live in the Casey area and some of the short sighted comment in this thread is just plain ignorance and moral chest beating. The MFC have done the right thing for the club and it's sponsors by distancing themselves from this. That is all they have to do, it is then simply a decision for Casey.

Yes, it is frustrating that developing forwards may get stymied by Fevola's presence, I'll give that, but whoever it is Cook, Howe etc, if they are good enough they will find room anyway.

Whether at Casey or at Melbourne.

I agree totally with these points but like to add..What if the MFC was truly behind the move, if not instigated it,but wanted the cover note of if...furthermore the MFC placed Robert Campbell on the Rookie list, suppossedly to cover the if, Jamar went down or to use him possibly as a second ruckman. What happens to the progress of Fitzpatrick, Gawn and Spencer in this scenario and isn't similar to Demon Hill pointing out re our young forwards. And the MFC stated it would be great to have Campbell around to help the young ruckman progress.If, and I mean if, Fevola does behave himself , he may,as I've stated earlier be a great mentor for our young forwards.Also Schwab has stated he was not concerned re Fevola's off field conduct- (note off field for RR to comprehend) therefore the MFC need to as Demetrio stated get their heads together and work it out. Gotch was recruited as he stated on Sen at around 7.30am this morning that one of his main factors of being hired was to bring on the younger players, therefore knows his commitments. Go Fev, Go Dees. Go Scorps.

And lastly if he succeeds on and off the field the whole Casey area will win and also the MFC.. it could indeed also help re MFC membership through their alliance with Casey. Re the Old boy from the district comes home and succeeds.May even help us reach our goal of 40, 000 members- how knows.

Edited by jayceebee31

I was referring to Betts as an example that Fevola may assist Wona-naturally on the field -not off it as you state above.

Any assistance that Fev afforded Betts was a product of the game plan where Betts took opportunities in the space afforded Fev by Ratten. And the same issue will apply to Wonna playing to any existing contesting forward. And further I would be worried for Wonna if he is spending considerable time at Casey given there could be more preferred options.

Slack descriptive writing there fella's. Poor terms when 'bad influence' will suffice.

Ah its fella. I remember to keep it simple next time. :unsure:

FWIW, and it's bugger all really, .....

Yes, it is frustrating that developing forwards may get stymied by Fevola's presence, I'll give that, but whoever it is Cook, Howe etc, if they are good enough they will find room anyway.

Whether at Casey or at Melbourne.

Agree it is.

If Cook and Howe can edge some sort of influence in a Fevola centric forward line then we have A grade stars on our hands. Its both naive and unrealistic to expect 18yo green potential KP forwards to compete not only with men at VFL level in the first season but also for opportunity against a 30yo talented misfit who realistically is playing well below his capabilities. Cook, Howe and Fitzy will struggle for oxygen up forward.

Also Schwab has stated he was not concerned re Fevola's off field conduct

Think about it JCB...really. What else would you expect Schwab to say in public? :wacko: If he said otherwise in public his comments would have been seen as ungracious and derogatory towards someone who has just emerged from rehab for serious social and personal problems. It would further blacken the AFL in the eyes of the media and drawn the ire of Fev's manager and the AFLPA. It would have been a PR disaster Of course Schwab is concerned about Fev off the field. Why would MFC have gone to great lengths to have "sacked" Nathan Carroll a couple of years ago? His issues while paled in signficance to Fevs.

If Schwab or any other club was not worried about his off field antics, why arent they showing interest and chasing his talent? And why did 2 clubs dump such a talent?

This won't be feasible for MFC for at least a decade, maybe not ever.

Tend to agree. And with MFC desperate for a growth corridor, their current positioning at Casey there is probably no need for the moment to seek full control, but it could be an option. ie. Casey Demons. It could be part of the blueprint. Personally, I think it would be a good move and would fit nicely with the mfc current "ideals and values"...

That said, Geelong turned things around after being in the mire and having their own VFL controlled team. But that's a diiferent story given their own city.

Any assistance that Fev afforded Betts was a product of the game plan where Betts took opportunities in the space afforded Fev by Ratten. And the same issue will apply to Wonna playing to any existing contesting forward. And further I would be worried for Wonna if he is spending considerable time at Casey given there could be more preferred options.

Ah its fella. I remember to keep it simple next time. :unsure:

It was simple enough by your poor definition.

Agree it is.

If Cook and Howe can edge some sort of influence in a Fevola centric forward line then we have A grade stars on our hands. Its both naive and unrealistic to expect 18yo green potential KP forwards to compete not only with men at VFL level in the first season but also for opportunity against a 30yo talented misfit who realistically is playing well below his capabilities. Cook, Howe and Fitzy will struggle for oxygen up forward.

Worth responding to.....that is more than merely bugger all. Thanks.

Back on topic, it could be deemed unrealistic for sure, but certainly not naive.

If they are good enough they will prosper anyway. Besides, what evidence is there to suggest that he would play well below his capabilities?

Many would argue that this has never been a problem for him.

Next you'll tell me Shane Warne was distracted by off field issues.

Worth responding to.....that is more than merely bugger all. Thanks.

Back on topic, it could be deemed unrealistic for sure, but certainly not naive.

If they are good enough they will prosper anyway. Besides, what evidence is there to suggest that he would play well below his capabilities?

If falls back on his past ways he's poor role model and influence around the Club not to mention a bad PR experience. If he succeeds, Howe and Cook will be denied opportunities in the FF position or on the ground in a Fev centric side. We wont know if they are good enough because their opportunities for selection and performance will be restricted.

Surely you jest on what evidence? :rolleyes: ..... 12kgs overweight, no pre season,just started training just come out of rehab, on medication for personal issues and then there are the personal issues.

Many would argue that this has never been a problem for him.

Or is it just you?? I would have thought his fractured career at two AFL Clubs would make this view folly.

Next you'll tell me Shane Warne was distracted by off field issues.

Players like Sobers, Lara and Warne arguably 3 of the greatest cricketers to have ever played the game were freaks in that they could put aside some terrible personal life issues and still perform.

Fevola is talented but he is not in the ionsphere of those greats. And the last I heard was that Warne has been into Ashley and Martin and not serious drug rehabilitation. And none of the above have as a consequence of the off field turned in such prolonged rancid performances and destroyed relationship with teammates and the general public like Fevola.

I think you'll find its a poor analogy with Warne but I know you will realise that.

What is done is done.

It looks as if Fev will be coming to play for the Scorps. At present, there is obviously a big beat up about how this is upsetting the relationship between Melbourne and Casey, and the media will probably keep sucking as much as they can from the story, (Especially because of Fev being involved).

i would almost bet that the MFC will make a statement in the next day or so stating that although they were initially not wrapped in the idea, they will now be doing what they can to embrace Fev, and wish him, as well as the Scorpions the best for 2011. Probably also state that the MFC relationship with Casey is very strong and will be supporting the Scorpions in every way we can.

It is a story that will grow longer and longer legs if the types of opinions, such as in this thread are continually voiced in the public.

It is therefore, much more benificial to the MFC to accept and embrace Fev into Casey, and therefore lessoning the impact of the media frenzy that will follow the story.

In reality, I think that the hyped up crap that follows this bloke around in whatever he does is probably a bigger issue than Fev himself. Which is what the MFC was no doubt more concerned about in the first place.

On a personal note, I look forward to watching Fev run around for the Scorpions this season, and I hope he can have a big impact on their success. I also wish him all the best and hope that this can turn into a feel good story for the club.

Agreed. Well said...

If falls back on his past ways he's poor role model and influence around the Club not to mention a bad PR experience. If he succeeds, Howe and Cook will be denied opportunities in the FF position or on the ground in a Fev centric side. We wont know if they are good enough because their opportunities for selection and performance will be restricted.

Surely you jest on what evidence? :rolleyes: ..... 12kgs overweight, no pre season,just started training just come out of rehab, on medication for personal issues and then there are the personal issues.

Or is it just you?? I would have thought his fractured career at two AFL Clubs would make this view folly.

Players like Sobers, Lara and Warne arguably 3 of the greatest cricketers to have ever played the game were freaks in that they could put aside some terrible personal life issues and still perform.

Fevola is talented but he is not in the ionsphere of those greats. And the last I heard was that Warne has been into Ashley and Martin and not serious drug rehabilitation. And none of the above have as a consequence of the off field turned in such prolonged rancid performances and destroyed relationship with teammates and the general public like Fevola.

I think you'll find its a poor analogy with Warne but I know you will realise that.

You've turned it all around and added Sobers and Lara into your point. This was not required as I did not address the degree's of off field or personal issues Fev or for that matter Warne had.

What does the degree of 'greatness' have to do with it anyway? Or are you condoning behavior due to talent as Carlton did?

You could have added Keith Miller and others, but that is not my point. My point was that when he plays or played the game, Fev's form hardly suffered unless injury played a part. Even being accused of missing goals on purpose wasn't a distraction.

This is why I used Warne's name. I could easily respond to your point about Fev destroying internal relationships and add back in Warne and Lara to that because they were far from harmonious when it came to relationships in the dressing room.

In isolation it is easy to point to him being overweight right now and you've got me on that. This doesn't mean he is a lost cause and if he looses that 12kg's and is in a fit state, he will play good football.

He always has.

gotta have a LOL at Brian Lara's apparent relevance to the issue

at the end of the day Schwabby is not happy which is all that needs to be said

huge spanner in our Casey plans

When it's all said and done. They'll move on. So too Fevola. The media makes the "spanner" a little bigger btw.

You've turned it all around and added Sobers and Lara into your point. This was not required as I did not address the degree's of off field or personal issues Fev or for that matter Warne had.

What does the degree of 'greatness' have to do with it anyway? Or are you condoning behavior due to talent as Carlton did?

You could have added Keith Miller and others, but that is not my point. My point was that when he plays or played the game, Fev's form hardly suffered unless injury played a part. Even being accused of missing goals on purpose wasn't a distraction.

This is why I used Warne's name. I could easily respond to your point about Fev destroying internal relationships and add back in Warne and Lara to that because they were far from harmonious when it came to relationships in the dressing room.

In isolation it is easy to point to him being overweight right now and you've got me on that. This doesn't mean he is a lost cause and if he looses that 12kg's and is in a fit state, he will play good football.

He always has.

Well done on missing the point. Warne was a great. Warne like other greats have the ability to play great sport notwithstanding their personal lives are in turmoil. Sobers and Lara would players of similar ilk. Fevola is not a great and is not of Warne's capability or standard. Fevola is a talented but personally and culturally destructive sportman who in the past two years has been sacked by 2 clubs and performed at times brilliantly and at other times was woefully inept. He personal issues were far greater than Warne and others and were slowly destroying his on field performances

Fev hasnt always played good football and thats the issue. The gap between his best (which is very good) and his worst (appalling) is as wide as the Grand Canyon. Too often its been at the extremes. I dont know where you have been to suggest otherwise.

And my comment on his weight and other issues was in direct reference to your needing evidence of why he might not play below his capability. It was not made in isolation and does not infer at all the cause is lost at all. You just seemed to be poorly informed on his disposition.

And if he does get fit and it will take time he will have the capability to play outstanding football at this level. And if he does this then Howe and Cook wont get a look in as a Fevcentric midfield pumps to the main target repeatedly.

At the end of the day, it might be a good deal for Casey. I dont think it is necessarily so for MFC.

Well done on missing the point. Warne was a great. Warne like other greats have the ability to play great sport notwithstanding their personal lives are in turmoil. Sobers and Lara would players of similar ilk. Fevola is not a great and is not of Warne's capability or standard. Fevola is a talented but personally and culturally destructive sportman who in the past two years has been sacked by 2 clubs and performed at times brilliantly and at other times was woefully inept. He personal issues were far greater than Warne and others and were slowly destroying his on field performances

Fev hasnt always played good football and thats the issue. The gap between his best (which is very good) and his worst (appalling) is as wide as the Grand Canyon. Too often its been at the extremes. I dont know where you have been to suggest otherwise.

And my comment on his weight and other issues was in direct reference to your needing evidence of why he might not play below his capability. It was not made in isolation and does not infer at all the cause is lost at all. You just seemed to be poorly informed on his disposition.

And if he does get fit and it will take time he will have the capability to play outstanding football at this level. And if he does this then Howe and Cook wont get a look in as a Fevcentric midfield pumps to the main target repeatedly.

At the end of the day, it might be a good deal for Casey. I dont think it is necessarily so for MFC.

He has done well enough considering all those distractions Rhino.

Even through all the crap and injuries he still averaged 3 goals a game this year....

Yeah that gap is huge?!

Playing honours

* Michael Tuck Medal 2005

* Coleman Medal 2006, 2009

* All Australian 2006, 2008, 2009

* Carlton leading goalkicker 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

* 3rd - Most Career Goals For Carlton - 575*

* NAB Cup Premiership Player 2005, 2007

* Australian International Rules squad 2006 (did not play for disciplinary reasons)

* VFL/AFL Italian Team of the Century 2007

* Victorian State Representative In Hall Of Fame Tribute Match

* Allen Aylett Medallist

Years Team Pld G B

1999–2009 Carlton 187 575 377

2010 Brisbane Lions 17 48 25

Total 204 623 402

Representative

Years Team Pld G B

2008 Victoria 1 6 2

Edited by Demon Hill

If we really must play the game of comparing sportsmen with off field issues, then Andrew Symonds is the man I'd liken Fevola to the most.

If we really must play the game of comparing sportsmen with off field issues, then Andrew Symonds is the man I'd liken Fevola to the most.

Agree Nasher. Good analogy. Rather than differentiate Warne from Fev, I should have put forward Symonds. Good get.

He has done well enough ..

Your point emphasises his unquestioned talent but it does not prove his consistency from a game to game perspective. As I said his performances range too often between match winner and team loser. One week he can kick a bag and the next week he can be selfish, disobedient of coaching instructions and a dead weight on the team effort And in the last 2 years there has been a growing tendency towards the latter and not the former. And its been a combination of his off field and also on field misdemeanours that have been the root of the destructive outcomes.

Good get...need an Indian franchise to take Fev away from Casey perhaps?

Your point emphasises his unquestioned talent but it does not prove his consistency from a game to game perspective. As I said his performances range too often between match winner and team loser. One week he can kick a bag and the next week he can be selfish, disobedient of coaching instructions and a dead weight on the team effort And in the last 2 years there has been a growing tendency towards the latter and not the former. And its been a combination of his off field and also on field misdemeanours that have been the root of the destructive outcomes.

I hear your points Rhino and I'll leave it now.

Look forward to the debate when MFC list him later this year :o

The crowd, & the Media, at the Casey Scorpions tonight, makes this decision appear a winner already. If Fev draws attention,,, for the right 'reasons', to the Casey team,,, then as an extension, Fev,,, to yourself, then it will be a mutual benefit.

Enjoyed the vid.

Surely we have too much invested in Casey to break away now?

We wouldn't dare break away IMO. We have a 30 year agreement. And we need a community growth area to hopefully generate interest/supporters and members.

Although, we could form a takeover and have control over our very own VFL (reserves) side. But we would have to mount a case.

Apparently, Casey have already looked at building a large gaming venue down there. That would be handy for future funding. ie. Werribee, Port Melbourne - two stand alone clubs generate enough $$$ from their gaming venues to run their clubs.. Geelong have a massive gaming venue near Point Cook that does the same.

I don't think their talking of breaking from the Region!

All the talk seems to be about the Casey Scorpions, & maybe moreso, the management of the that club.

I think the AFL, Want the clubs to manage, their Wedge of the Melb', Metropolis pie chart. the Dees > East - Sth/East Corridor.

Casey, to Bairnsdale, to Inverloch, to Phillip Island, I imagine....

I agree, one disagreement does provide grounds for jumping out of the arrangement.

If that was the case most marriages would struggle to make it past the first month.

Lets all take a breath and get on with it!