• PODCAST LIVE @ 8:30pm      

Call: 03 9016 3666 or Skype: Demonland31
    Click Here for LIVE Chat
    If you still want to browse Demonland
    while listening to the Podcast
    choose pop up player below

TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MFC Training at Casey Fields (Friday)

alpha33

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got home from Casey.  training started at 4.00pm and at 6.40pm a number of players were still on the ground.

Memories of what they did

Bail & Gysberts walked laps. Gysberts had like a sleeve fron hip to just below the knee. Only padding on Bail was around the ankles.

Wona went off earlier and didn't see him again. Not sure what he did

Sylvia, Tapscott, Jurrah and Tommy Mac did run throughs all day and didn't join the main group. None of them looked injured or concerned so I reckon for LJ and Col in particular it may have been their "light" training session.

A different group of about 10 - 12 did some of their own training away from the main group as well. It did look like the majority in there were the drafted and rookie guys. It also had a couple of the long term injured from last year (Gawn etc)

Plenty of running, sprints agility runs etc

The main group did a half ground sprint 20 sec break 30 metre sprint 10 second break another 30 metre sprint. 1 min and then same again. Did this about 5 or 6 times. Most impressive here was Scully as others tried to keep up.

Then into some footy drills including kicking practice, handball keepings off games. Then into ground groups (Forward, Middle, Back).

Backs played two on two with the defenders trying to touch teh ball on the way through. Plenty of switching in this drill.

Mids rucking setup and then sprint away from contests.

Forwards continuous leading hitting targets front and centre work.

Most of the drills were over sustained periods hence over 2 hours on the track

Observations

Scully - superb!

Moloney, Petterd, Dunn - plenty of encouragement to others.

In fact in  one on one contest where ball was kicked to Moloney, Kelvin Lawrence spoiled beautiful with great closing speed. Ball moved away and Moloney turned and high five and plenty of well done encouragement.

Howe - good size looked promising;

Trengove - muscled up but looked more agile than  when I last saw him 3 weeks ago (if that makes sense);

Rivers - Looked really good;

Lawrence - silky smooth mover;

Blease - pleasing;

Maric - up the front in most drills;

Bennell - Looked super;

Davey - Looked fit;

Campbell - great size;

Spencer- looked pretty good as did Stef Martin;

Gawn - Bloody big;

Cook, Davis & McDonald - all good sizes and need beef but wouldn't look out of place (esp Davis);

Nicholson - Looked quite accomplished and certainly not out of place.

Very few injured players

Btw did I mention Scully - What a Jet.

Ask any questions and I will try answer best I can.

Finished work at 3 and headed down. Don't have time to do a report but Sammy Blease impressed me the most. He's so clean and quick, was front and center at the right times. I have no doubt he get a rising star nomination next year and we'll see him breaking the lines often as he loves to run and carry. Also has a laser boot on him!

Finished work at 3 and headed down. Don't have time to do a report but Sammy Blease impressed me the most. He's so clean and quick, was front and center at the right times. I have no doubt he get a rising star nomination next year and we'll see him breaking the lines often as he loves to run and carry. Also has a laser boot on him!

Very much looking forward to seeing him in the ones.

I was at the Christmas night tonight - it was a fantastic event.

I live in Berwick so I attend training as much as I can and go to all go the Dees Melbourne games (not a boast, just trying to give context for my next comment) and this was possibly the most friendly club event I have ever been to.

Players were incredibly focussed during training, but afterwards the I had the pleasure of players striking up conversations with me, telling me about how fantastic China was, how the boys are at the same point of in their preseason that it took them to get to in February at the start of this year and Chris C was his usual friendly and informative self. Matt Bate, Jordie McKenzie, Sam Blease, Brad Green, The Big Chip, Col Garland, Brent Moloney, Ricky P, Maximum Gawn all stood and had chats with my friends and I and the atmosphere suggested others were willing to also. I have not felt this sense of camaraderie in a Dees team in a long while - these guys are maturing together. I will continue to make this event a priority in the future.

My observations were:

- Jeremy Howe moves with confidence and will be thereabouts in 2011.

- Sam Blease has gained confidence in his legs and is ready to press his claims.

- Matt Bate's body has matured and is turning into an athletic unit - FFS he is 23 and a half, he carried the team in 2009 and had injury/form issues this year. Get off his back and hold your judgements until the end of next year.

- Spencer has picked up pace, beef and confidence and his kicking style has improved.

- Watts still never seems to bust into top gear - he runs fast but always looks like he could pick up the pace up a bit.

- Tapscott has the biggest arms I have ever seen on a guy his age outside bodybuilders.

- Colin Silvia looks like he is wearing a suit of armour, but it just his muscles.

- Beamer's guns have their own postcode.

I went down to watch the boys train this afternoon. Wasn't a massive crowd however there were more than enough things to keep the kids entertained whilst I took in the training session.

Here are some observations:

- Watts and Greeny were having a goal kicking comp which was hilarious. They were giving each other heaps. At one stage Jack was right up against the fence and asked my opinion on the kick. He then told me what he was going to do and proceeded to slam it through the middle from a tight angle. Jack's goal kicking was superb.

- Sylvia, McNamara and Liam were running sprints. Liam was gliding across the ground and looking superb. At one stage big Max ran in front of them and Colin said to the other two guys "lets kill him" much to the amusement of the onlookers.

- Scully looked sensational in the handballing games. He and Greeny were getting into each other a fair bit.

- The forward group were doing leading drills. Cook was impressive and has strong hands. He reminds me of an old-fashioned footballer for some reason.

- Tapscott was running by himself and according to Jack Trengove, he pulled up sore last training session. I caught up with Luke after training and he said he will be back in the main group after Christmas. He is one very big unit - much to Trengove's amusement.

- One player that really caught my eye was Nicholson. He is very quick and kicks a very low piercing kick. He looked very accomplished and also one to get excited about.

- Beamer takes training very seriously and rarely looks to encourage other team mates. He just barked instructions unlike Greeny, Davey and Frawley who were very vocal in a positive manner. Ricky was very vocal and proceeded to hang crap on everyone and was always smiling.

All in all, there was a good vibe at training and it was great to catch-up with the players after the session. Colin Sylvia was fantastic with my young daughter and I tried extremely hard to quiz Grimes on the captaincy however he just laughed it off. Jack Trengove is massive and said he can't wait for the new season to start as 2010 was a huge learning curve. He just can't wait to get going again. I can't wait to see him unleash.

Go Dees!

I'm gonna call it now - Green will be captain.

But that's not really my train of thought (& it's not a big call to make).

I think Green will walk taller and be a changed player and leader from his International Rules experience and his being named AA.

If possible, I think he may even be better in 2011 than he was in 2010.

I think Green will walk taller and be a changed player and leader from his International Rules experience and his being named AA.

100% agree. Chatting to him after training he said he was very happy with life and, when training, he just oozed leadership and gelled extremely well with the young brigade - in particular Scully. He was by far the most vocal with encouragement.

Players were incredibly focussed during training, but afterwards the I had the pleasure of players striking up conversations with me, telling me about how fantastic China was ...

Real credit to the club, that unlike the Lions, they managed to turn that trip into something really special for the MFC, the supporters and the boys. Taking along old players, people like Max Walker etc. etc., they really made it something that has clearly had a really positive impact around the place.

Building something special here. As ye sow ...

^ Green missed AA selection in 2010. He did win the B&F though.

Good point!

Actually, that bit was an afterthought that I squeezed in just before posting.

It wasn't integral to my train of thought, and just being in contention would help.

I was more trying to make the point that being away with the International Rules team, amongst a group of his peers, some the very best in the game.

Guys like Swan, Goodes, Boyd, Montagna, Cross, Fletcher, Wojcinski et al.

Not just spending time with them, bonding with them, but training with them and knowing not only that you can cut it with the best, but excel amongst them.

Seeing how they interact, communicate and lead.

(also being coached by Malthouse).

Even at the stage Green is in his career, this experience I believe would have a great benefit.

Chip too.

Edited by E25

Here's a smokey for captain, and a very unlikely one at that. Tom Scully. Been a leader throughout his juniors, will be a 15 year player, is already a leader on the training track (from all reports). Kernahan, Carey, Boyd were all thrown the captaincy very early on and thrived. He may be only 19 and has a lot to learn still but I could think of worse captains in the AFL at the moment.