Just watched Rd.20 vs Hawks

Curry & Beer

I saw it live of course but just had a refresher look. That game wasn't over until the Hawks goaled (somewhat fortuitously) with 4 minutes remaining. We lost by 21 but it was way closer than that appears. With both sides potentially playing for a finals spot, it was neck and neck all day, with many incidents that just didn't go our way. It was a pretty wet day which worked against us as it limited the run we had which was hurting them badly. The big factor was losing Davey early in the 2nd and being down to 21 all day, this was reflected in far less interchange rotations (obv.) Also, we were without Morton, Grimes, Moloney, Bate and Petterd. What's my point? Nothing really except to say that I am confident the Hawks will be our beeyatches for the upcoming era and we would have beaten most sides that day. We could easily have finished on 13 wins this year. Cheers!

Umpiring was bad but Davey was the biggest factor (playing a man down and losing his skill) and then the rain (meaning more stoppages and our smaller bodies) was the next most important, IMO.

I try to pretend that umpiring doesnt turn games, its the only way I can stay sane.....I'm wrong of course.

I remember the umpires were kissing Buddy's behind all day. One which baffled me was when he slid and knocked the ball out of bounds and he called it deliberate against Frawley. That sickened me.

that was a disgrace.

if you ever hear hawks supporters whinging about buddy not getting a fair go, remind them of that.

Umpiring was atrocious that day, but it wasn't the whole story.

The deciding factor in that game was the weather.

It was reduced to wet weather footy with an emphasis on stoppages and our kids weren't able to match their mature-bodied men.

We were pushed off the ball too easily.

We matched them in every other aspect that day.

^^ agreed. + when it was there to be won, hodge stood up - and we all know hodge > bruce.

except for the fact that Bruce was our best player on the day, not sure what happened on 'land but 'ology (where he is villified) awarded him the MFC BOG

this was 3 games of football ago, for those of you who don't think the loss of Bruce is going to hurt us onfield in 2011

except for the fact that Bruce was our best player on the day, not sure what happened on 'land but 'ology (where he is villified) awarded him the MFC BOG

this was 3 games of football ago, for those of you who don't think the loss of Bruce is going to hurt us onfield in 2011

Bruce villified on O'logy ? By whom....

Btw was he really the best that day ? Frawley played very well.

Bruce was good that day yes (He beat Hodge for 90% of the day), but Bruce was playing in Grimeys position for the 2nd half of the year, and I'm pretty confident in saying even though Grimey still has a way to go he's better than Bruce right now.

We would have beaten the Hawks fairly easily if it had stayed dry that day IMO. When you watch the game every time the sun was out we were all over them, but when it rained and made it more of a stoppage game they were just too good in close for us.

by the same douchebags that villify him here of course

I hope you are not refering to those who don't think he should have been given a trigger for 2012.

IIRC you were on the side of giving him two years straight up. Apologies if that isn't the case.

We will miss him slightly but Grimes back in the team will help, and will get us closer to Number 13, if you know what I mean...

by the same douchebags that villify him here of course

oh and Frawley broke even at best with Buddy

douchebags doesn't cut it for me...name names.

Incorrect. Frawley had the better of him. Buddy is remembered for that freak goal from nearly 40-45m out on his left. When Buddy led up the wing, Frawley was with him, spoilt him numerous times and did his job. I can argue this until the cows come home if you want.

Frawley bested Buddy, but the umpires evened up the ledger, time and again.

Bruce was good in that match, but efforts like that were few and far between.

To be honest, I think Bruce is the type of player that benefits from the hard work of others.

ahhhh! all i said that when it counted, when the game was there to be won, that hodge > bruce. no shame in that - hodge is one hell of a player.

as for buddy and frawley - frawley got the points that day.

dunno about that.. in the few situations that weren't impacted by other players, the umpires, or sheer luck, it was a usually a nil-all-draw, if anything I think Buddy was a punch or two ahead by the end of it. No shame in that of course.

I watch that game recently and agree we were robbed. I've let it go because it doesn't really matter in the overall scheme of things. I have also been watching older games (because I'm a desperate). I watched round 22 2009, Melb vs Saints. It was the game that LJ ran amok and Bails took him off, then put him upfield just to make sure we didn't win. We played OK but it was striking how our game plan has developed since then. You can see the beginnings of it, with free flowing risky running and field kicking but the skill level is markedly down on this year. Players like Jamar, Frawley and Dunn have definitely come up another notch from 2009. It was a good comparison and demonstrates the evolution of the Bailey game plan. It was a good confirmation that we're on the right track and Bailey is the right man for the job. Made me very enthused.

I watch that game recently and agree we were robbed. I've let it go because it doesn't really matter in the overall scheme of things. I have also been watching older games (because I'm a desperate). I watched round 22 2009, Melb vs Saints. It was the game that LJ ran amok and Bails took him off, then put him upfield just to make sure we didn't win. We played OK but it was striking how our game plan has developed since then. You can see the beginnings of it, with free flowing risky running and field kicking but the skill level is markedly down on this year. Players like Jamar, Frawley and Dunn have definitely come up another notch from 2009. It was a good comparison and demonstrates the evolution of the Bailey game plan. It was a good confirmation that we're on the right track and Bailey is the right man for the job. Made me very enthused.

yes! the other day we discussed the QB match (i think it was in the context of the explosiveness and importance of Sylvia) in that match there were several examples of 'coast-to-coast' footy, were we moved it quickly, cleanly, without error across the field for a goal. The commentary team used the phrase 'cat-like'. Bailey's plan is definitely working, and the blokes executing it are just going to get better and better at it

yes! the other day we discussed the QB match (i think it was in the context of the explosiveness and importance of Sylvia) in that match there were several examples of 'coast-to-coast' footy, were we moved it quickly, cleanly, without error across the field for a goal. The commentary team used the phrase 'cat-like'. Bailey's plan is definitely working, and the blokes executing it are just going to get better and better at it

This was exactly what was being spoken about when the MFCSS merchants came out in the NAB Cup in 2010.

I could clearly see this style used in glimpses in those matches and it was only a matter of time before it happened more frequently.

As I said at the time, some will only recognise the gameplan when it is working.

We would have beaten the Hawks fairly easily if it had stayed dry that day IMO. When you watch the game every time the sun was out we were all over them, but when it rained and made it more of a stoppage game they were just too good in close for us.

Yep , when the sun was out we blitzed 'em and I'll call a draw for Frawley and Franklin . ;)

I think I do, but Frawley came very close to breaking even with him, in spite of the umpiring heavily favouring Buddy.

close to breaking even?

did you see Frawley start 3 mtrs behind buddy on a lead and pass him like he was standing still? or maybe you only saw the one on one contest in the goal square when buddy put his arms out for another free and duly recieved it.

i was sitting with 2 hawks supporter mates and they, along with me, think Frawley owned him in that game. how buddy got 2 brownlow votes is beyond me.