Jack Viney commits to Demons

Bay Riffin

Ok, back

more caller questions. will just give the answers.

Jack fitzpatrick, Todd had lunch with him, has the chronic fatigue under control, put on a little weight, but says remember he has some time to go with putting on muscle.

most callers are boring.

Max is the other son, Todd says he has a little talent. RELAX GUYS HE"S ONLY 13!

Simply put, Todd's role is an important role in between the coaches and the players, players can ask where they sit in the team, ask for feedback, ask for strategies to get better, and answer any questions that they might have. Also a development role

The expectations on Watts, and sam blease

Blease is slowly coming back, getting work into the leg so he can spend more time on the track to get his fitness up, but he is lightning quick, and a good kick.

Watts, he is looking stronger, good below his legs, ;) .... exciting player, this year will see some really good progression.

Says there is a fine line between working them hard, and breaking them down too hard.

Thats it.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems Ricky Petterd Is a bit of a mentor for young JV. Seem to be spending a bit of time together. If you follow Rickys twitter he mentions having dinner and lunches with JV. He also mentioned he met with jeremy Howe a few days back. Good to see him doing some good work for the club.

Guest Thomo

Thomo you would be the exact same person who would want to tear down the walls at Melbourne if they didn't pre-list him and he then turned out to be the star everyone thought. You want your cake and to eat it too. Get a grip you fool.

Don't tell me what I think, you have no idea.

To highlight my argument, look at Swift at in the 2008 draft. After 2006 he was seen as the best young player for years, and a certain number one pick. Two years later he went 2nd round. By Melbourne publically committing to Viney, we will most likely have to pick him first round, as even if he has slipped other Clubs with a pick in the first round will bid for him knowing that it will knock Melbourne out and move their second round picks up one. If he has slipped and Melbourne has not publicly committed to him, Clubs may not risk offering a first round bid and we may get him in the second round, gaining a first round pick.

If he is worth a first round pick great, but I don't want us to over commit to a player because of his surname.

I don’t think it is a smart move to commit two years before the draft. We will get him anyway, so I don’t see what is gained.

I don't think it is that hard to understand what I am saying.

To highlight my argument, look at Swift at in the 2008 draft. After 2006 he was seen as the best young player for years, and a certain number one pick. Two years later he went 2nd round. By Melbourne publically committing to Viney, we will most likely have to pick him first round, as even if he has slipped other Clubs with a pick in the first round will bid for him knowing that it will knock Melbourne out and move their second round picks up one. If he has slipped and Melbourne has not publicly committed to him, Clubs may not risk offering a first round bid and we may get him in the second round, gaining a first round pick.

If he is worth a first round pick great, but I don't want us to over commit to a player because of his surname.

I don’t think it is a smart move to commit two years before the draft. We will get him anyway, so I don’t see what is gained.

Uh... putting too much stock in what Voss says there Thomo.

He thought recruiting Fev was a good idea.

But... you are right. It is very early in the piece and number 1 now doesn't mean number 1 in 2012.

Edited by E25

Can anyone tell me the last time a father and son combination at Melbourne

Produced a good result?

The last one I can remember was "Spud Dullard" back in the early eighties I think.

Spud was no champion but a useful player.

Over the years the Dees have not had too many "sons" play.

Have to go back a long long time,,, but here it is.

Based on Father & Son both having successful careers for the Dees.

1: Bob C. Johnson 1926-1933 Games Played = 113

Bob 'Big Bob' Johnson 1954-1961 GP = 140

Total Combined Games = 253

2: Adrian Dullard 1940-1949 GP = 116

Tony Dullard 1973-1981 GP = 108

Total Combined Games = 224

3: Richie Emselle 1937-1943 GP = 92

Ken Emselle 1962-1969 GP = 97

Total Combined Games = 189

I didnt include Barassi Snr and RD

only because RD played over 200 just by himself

IRon Snr had his career cut short (only played 58 games)

Edited by Deevoted

Guest Thomo

Uh... putting too much stock in what Voss says there Thomo.

He thought recruiting Fev was a good idea.

But... you are right. It is very early in the piece and number 1 now doesn't mean number 1 in 2012.

Voss also thinks it's a grerat idea to king hit people at pubs, so I don't have much time for him.

I think it was more than Voss. I heard he absolutly dominated at 16, then missed a lot of footy with injury.

Voss also thinks it's a grerat idea to king hit people at pubs, so I don't have much time for him.

I think it was more than Voss. I heard he absolutly dominated at 16, then missed a lot of footy with injury.

The only thing I remember ever hearing about Swift was that Voss said he was the best 16 year old he'd ever seen.

Now, he may have been rated by a horde of others, but Vossy's name is the one that draws respect to the claim (or did until he became a coach).

Either way, he has fallen off quite a bit ol Tom Swift.

I think the issue is that outside of the AFL system, there really is only so much that a player can improve in juniors.

The really good ones at 16 have 2 years in which the others can catch up.

Tom Swift then had two knee reconstructions and barely played after he was 16 until he got drafted. And he STILL got picked up at pick 19 in the 2008 superdraft.

He got 3 brownlow votes in a game in his first season too.

Your argument is heavily, heavily flawed.

Have to go back a long long time,,, but here it is.

Based on Father & Son both having successful careers for the Dees.

1: Bob C. Johnson 1926-1933 Games Played = 113

Bob 'Big Bob' Johnson 1954-1961 GP = 140

Total Combined Games = 253

2: Adrian Dullard 1940-1949 GP = 116

Tony Dullard 1973-1981 GP = 108

Total Combined Games = 224

3: Richie Emselle 1937-1943 GP = 92

Ken Emselle 1962-1969 GP = 97

Total Combined Games = 189

I didnt include Barassi Snr and RD

only because RD played over 200 just by himself

IRon Snr had his career cut short (only played 58 games)

Thanks Deevoted, shows what I though not many and a long time between drinks.

Not one in the last 29 years!

Guest Thomo

Tom Swift then had two knee reconstructions and barely played after he was 16 until he got drafted. And he STILL got picked up at pick 19 in the 2008 superdraft.

He got 3 brownlow votes in a game in his first season too.

Your argument is heavily, heavily flawed.

He went secound round, how is my argument flawed?

Guest Thomo

Because he still was drafted high (pick 19) going PURELY off his under 16 form. With two knee reconstruction under his belt. So obviously it means something.

My argument was that he went secound round, not first like many had predicted two years earlier. So tell me again how it was flawed?

Young Toddwick's boy a Dee!!!! You lil.... RIP... SNORTER!!!! :D

Fantastic news!

He'll be primed and ready to rumble come Round 1 2013, that's for sure!!

Will play underage at the Oakleigh Chargers AND will play (if approved by the AFL) at Casey Scorps in 2012.

Just a question,

Now that he has signed, whats stopping him accessing Melbournes devolpment programs? What I mean by this is why cant he get coached on how to eat properly/get his body right? why cant he rock into the Gym and do some weights? why cant he sit in some tactics/coaching sessions? why cant he learn about being an AFL player?

Since his Dad is allready there why not????

I think this would be a good thing.

Edited by Rocknroll

By Melbourne publically committing to Viney, we will most likely have to pick him first round, as even if he has slipped other Clubs with a pick in the first round will bid for him knowing that it will knock Melbourne out and move their second round picks up one. If he has slipped and Melbourne has not publicly committed to him, Clubs may not risk offering a first round bid and we may get him in the second round, gaining a first round pick.

How thick are you? Honestly, you don't think our club has done its homework on him. He is also a member of the AIS academy which i do believe is a good player factory. We get to control his development and work on whichever areas he needs to reach the required level for AFL. What better way to groom a draft pick 3 years out from his first game?????????

You say we would get him anyway- think again with GWS lurking and throwing around big cash plus other clubs like Adelaide looking to do big deals your assumption that he'll be coming to us anyway is much further from the mark than you realise.

To highlight my argument, look at Swift at in the 2008 draft. After 2006 he was seen as the best young player for years, and a certain number one pick. Two years later he went 2nd round.

And the answer to swift is below...

By the way, Tom Scully was regarded as the best 16 year old in the country in 2007, and look how quickly he went downhill.

Uhhh..... wait

Thomo doesn't want to hear logical arguments like that........