• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Leadership

beelzebub

I for one would like to state that I'm more than happy with the potential those remaining at the club have to lead and mentor. With all this discussion about Junior and Bruce you could be forgiven for thinking they were all we had . Junior served well as the General, personally I have my doubts about what Cam brought to this equation but let's say for the moment there was value.

We have more than enough in the likes of the candidates : Green, Davey, Beamer and Riv. Add to this the emerging mentoring given by Russian, constant input by Jonesy., Grimes is a natural with Chip a stalwRt down back. Where's this supposed vacuum of leadership ? Where is the concern ?

One will go and another will realize their fate.

Junior has gone ... Thanks mate , you've left a legacy and a style others may well choose to emulate . Bruce has departed, such is life . Miller moves on , etc etc .

We have a fine caliber of leaders in waiting from whom to choose.

Am happy to respect those that we have can take this team forward and upward.

There is no problem

id call it an opportunity

Bingo.

Jones, Chip, Garland... they are not leaders YET. But they now have an opportunity to put their games to another level. Ditto Jamar.

Green, Davey, Moloney and Rivers are our only real leaders per se at present. They have realised this by now. As for everyone else, they have the chance to realise this going into 2011.

We can say Garland, Jones, Frawley, Grimes (who I'm still holding judgment of) and Jamar can all be leaders etc... but it's by no means certain - it's all speculation and what we are merely hoping for.

As much as we hate to admit it... Junior and Bruce will be missed badly. We cannot deny this.

Now... we need to see who from our growing crop of youngsters wishes to relish the opportunity to lead going forward. It's all part of development.

What have we lost in terms of leadership? Junior was an exceptional leader of men but his star was on the wane. At 34 it was time and I would have hated the unedifying scenario thar took place when Brad Johnson was clearly struggling at the Bulldogs this year (assisted by the conduct of that buffoon Akermanis). We'll lose a little bit but the new wave will come in and we'll be the better for it.

Cameron Bruce was a terrific player for the club and we should acknowledge this. I think he would have made it through 2011, given good service and perhaps merited a further season in 2012 but who knows? As for captaincy, I don't think he would have made a good captain with this group. We needed someone with a bit more forceful personality. He just wasn't the type although he could have filled a mentoring role with some of the younger players.

Brad Miller spent most of the season at Casey so the club's loss in terms of leadership is going to be marginal at best.

All in all, our 2011 leadership group should include a few exciting young players and with many of them coming up together and Bails already looking closely at them I feel we will benefit in the long run from the leadership sea change happening right now.

This whole talk of losing leadership is ridiculous. There is no doubt Junior, Bruce, and Miller were experienced players and offered great leadership to the playing group. But the reality is that you don't have to be over 28 to be a leader (which it seems the media believe). From what we've heard we have some great young leaders already. Grimes has been said to be a fantastic communicator, Scully leads from his great work ethic and also his seemingly good social behaviour. And I'm sure there is many many more. I believe we may have lost experience, but leadership i believe we have plenty of.

So, would that be destructunity or opportruction?

Opportruction?

I think my great uncle had that.

Spread some Balsam Specific on and it was all good.

Painful, but.

Since being in Canberra I have now begun to put 'buts' at the end of sentences now.

I think this is the end.

This whole talk of losing leadership is ridiculous. There is no doubt Junior, Bruce, and Miller were experienced players and offered great leadership to the playing group. But the reality is that you don't have to be over 28 to be a leader (which it seems the media believe). From what we've heard we have some great young leaders already. Grimes has been said to be a fantastic communicator, Scully leads from his great work ethic and also his seemingly good social behaviour. And I'm sure there is many many more. I believe we may have lost experience, but leadership i believe we have plenty of.

What a terrible post.

Yes, Grimes may be a leader, but he hasn't even cracked 50 games yet. And he's one player. Lose the leaders we've lost over the last couple of years and you're getting up towards 500-1000 games experience all gone. There's no WAY that information, along with the more mature bodies, plays a part in a young kid's confidence.

I dunno about you, but if the most legitimate leader in my side is a 21 year old, I'll be stuffed if I'd be as confident as if I had 4 or 5 28 year olds running around.

What a terrible post.

Yes, Grimes may be a leader, but he hasn't even cracked 50 games yet. And he's one player. Lose the leaders we've lost over the last couple of years and you're getting up towards 500-1000 games experience all gone. There's no WAY that information, along with the more mature bodies, plays a part in a young kid's confidence.

I dunno about you, but if the most legitimate leader in my side is a 21 year old, I'll be stuffed if I'd be as confident as if I had 4 or 5 28 year olds running around.

First of all, I don't know why you think Triple Jack's post is "terrible". For a start, it's not terrible. He's spot on as far as I'm concerned.

Secondly, just because Grimes hasn't cracked 50 games, doesn't mean he can't or doesn't lead by example on the field.

Finally, apart from a decent on field leader in Junior, and prior to that of Neitz. We haven't lost a hell of alot in terms of strong on field leaders. Furthermore, our current young group of Frawley, Garland, Grimes, Trengove and Scully already cover most of what we've lost if you ask me. And it can only get stronger developing the likes of Watts, Blease, Petterd,..

Green, Moloney, Rivers & Davey are still there btw and will need to step up in the meantime. I'm confident there is no great void in terms of leadership.

What a terrible post.

Fair enough thats your opinion, of which i agree to a lot of.

My point was more that yes we are losing experience and that is very important, and can't be replaced instantly, but i think leadership is different to experience and i believe that we have a lot of good leaders at the club.

I agree with a lot of what you say so i think didn't explain my point of view clearly enough.

People are born in this world as Leaders or Followers. I think we have some great Leadership emerging. Yes it is still learning, but they are leaders.

In Round 1 2010 i saw one for sure. Jordie McKenzie.

Gametime gives experience, Leadership comes from DNA

their was a famous 21 year old that was caption of North Melbourne that went on to be one of the greatest.

if you ask me well even if you dont to bad.

l think that Green , Moloney and Davey should be in right away and as some one already said Scully has everything

you want from someone to lead the group so place him the leadership group to groom him for caption

their was a famous 21 year old that was caption of North Melbourne that went on to be one of the greatest.

if you ask me well even if you dont to bad.

l think that Green , Moloney and Davey should be in right away and as some one already said Scully has everything

you want from someone to lead the group so place him the leadership group to groom him for caption

Green Moloney and Davey are already in the leadership group, and along with Rivers are the official candidates for the captaincy.

Green Moloney and Davey are already in the leadership group, and along with Rivers are the official candidates for the captaincy.

Green , Davey & Moloney l no are in the leadership group but think Scully would grow in to it nicely .

besides that dont think we need any more in there.

nothing against Rivers