Good Bruce Bad Bruce

Deemolition Man

178 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't really answer the poll. While it's always a bad thing to have a disgruntled player leave the club, it would also be a bad thing to give him an extra year and have to carry him if he can no longer get a game. Even worse to pay too much and impact on our ability to pay our young guys.

On the field he's not that great a loss. We have a lot of quality young players who will leap at the chance to secure a regular first team place. He will be missed off-field for his leadership and training. Obviously there are a lot of players feeling the blow (Nathan Jones' twitter for instance).

All in all I have very mixed feelings here.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

It's done. For good or bad it's done. The club will beat a player everytime so Cammy can enjoy his twilight years as he wants.

Sad - Yep. I liked his play even though he had a couple of faults.

Sad - Nup. The club is the only reason we are here. Player come and go but the club lives on.

I'll miss you Cam but I'll get over it. I support the MFC and not some fella that plays for them. While you are there then I will wish you all the best but once you are not then you are just some guy that gets paid well to kick a piece of leather.

My uncle played in three Demon flags and he still puts his pants on one leg at the time and he agrees that the club is the only thing that really matters.

I voted bad but it was 50/50. Simply on field experience during games. But it gives a new player the opportunity to shine just like bruce did in 2000. Wish all the best but it will be funny seeing him play for someone else, more so that other players that have left.

As for trade potential he would have been informed if anyone came knocking during trade week, so i assume no one did and we lost nothing either way.

My thoughts EXACTLY.

The way Bailey has gone about it over the past few years has been pretty poor.

Great servants of the club who have been burned:

Jeff White - great servant of the club

Addam Yze - gave his all

Robbo - gave heaps to our club

McDonald - did us all proud

Now Bruce

Surely apart of the clubs heritage is to recognise those who have served our club well in a dignified manner. The chopping of Robbo, White, McDonald and Yze were anything but done respectfully.

The Demons have done well in fixing many areas, they need a bit of work done in the football department.

Has to be BAD to lose a 200 game player attracting interest from other clubs for nothing.The fact that our relations with a senior player broke down so badly that we missed an opportunity to get something for him suggests that aspects of our player management/ communication need to be improved.

It is also a bit simplistic to suggest that he won't be missed on the field in 2011. Bruce's ability to go back one minute - and forward the next - created rotation options for the coaching staff - which was an asset to our development program.Bruce's real value to the team - apart from his experience - was his adaptability

Get out of this forum.

Too much logic.

is that you cam?

or maybe ...is that you Ricky ?? lol

The only real thing that irks me about al this is the timing of things and then the ridiculous posturing by the Bruce-Nixon camp to justify their failure.

At seasons end all players are evaluted and briefed about life going forward. Undoubtedly there would have been a frank and fervent discussion with Cam as would there have been all others. Probably up until this moment the Bruce camp would think itll be pretty much "Flinders St , No change" The club would probably keep its most experienced players despite any misgivings about fitness or game-ripeness etc. Surely such bastions of the club would recceive favourable outcomes !!

Then Cam got a very rude awakening. Melbourne doesnt work like that anymore. The work ethic as a team has lifted. The litmus by which all things are now measured is effective contributions. All players will be picked on merit. No more the days of 'list managemnet' no more the days of mediocre aspirations. The club had changed.

With change comes new players and new staff. What was is now not. There will be casualties of such change. Junior was first. It would have beena very respectful meeting but a frank one. James, mate, loyal champion of all things Melbourne, we have to grow and in so we have to prune; thankyou but were sorry we cant guaranteee anything going forward. Maybe now is a good time, nudge, nudge..etc....etc. >>>> predictable outcome. Thanks Junior,,, youre a legend.

Cam Bruces camp...a similar but not quite so time constrained. Cam, mate, its like this. All good things must come to an end and whilst a valuable player you'll be fighting it out with the kids. We make no pormises. Youre on the wrong side of 30, you know the clubs stance on this. a short time later would have been an offfer iin accordance to what the club feels is warranted and fair ( ALL things considered )

Now its at this point the Bruce camp ought to have made its move to seek greener and longer grass pastures. The club was being fair and upfront with him...surely it deserved the same consideration and respect back. But Bruce-Nixon decide to play the end game. They figure, incorrectly, that they can push Melbounre into surrendering to far more favourable terms . The more thay push it towards list time surely Melbourne will fold.

How they got it wrong. So now Bruce will go to another team. Hell think he'll be guaranteed more but once the clouds lift he'll soon come to the realisation that promises can be broken, especially when this kid or that burgeoning talent just cant be ressited " you understand Cam, we have to play him....we know we said this...but things change !!"

If simply going to another club to gain 'whatever' was all this was about then we , as a club could have accomomdated that and all parties received fair compensation. Bruce has had more than fair 'compensation' over the journey and this is how he returns the favour.

To think he had the audacity to express outrage at the way anyone was supposedly treated; what utter hypocrisy !!.

Pot...kettle.... Black !!

Addam Yze - gave his all

Now Bruce

Surely apart of the clubs heritage is to recognise those who have served our club well in a dignified manner. The chopping of Robbo, White, McDonald and Yze were anything but done respectfully.

The Demons have done well in fixing many areas, they need a bit of work done in the football department.

I AGREE, these guys should still be playing with us now.

Edited by america de cali

If I was McDonald I would be [censored] off at Bruce, if the club knew Cam would do this Junior would be running around next year. The club had to decide which veteran to keep. Bruce leaving is no issue except we only can add a rookie and Davey is still two years away from the Veterans List.

I agree wholeheartedly..this whole Bruce negotiation has been managed poorly and on top of losing McDonald & Miller, we now have a void in leadership skills. Not sure either what message this sends to younger players about the fabric of our club and loyalty to it. Arbitrary rules based on age alone are ridiculous - it should never have come to this ...

Addam Yze - gave his all

Now Bruce

ill tell you what it says to the young guys.

it says, guys, this is your club now. this is your time. time to stand up and be counted. no excuses.

lets find out who the next generation of leaders is going to be by LETTING THEM LEAD.

bye bye liability bruce. i shall miss going "oh no" every time you get the ball.

Addam Yze - gave his all

Now Bruce

I AGREE.

All of these players should have been given extended contracts until they were ready to retire.

The club winning a premiership is not important, the important thing is making sure players who are past it are still happy to take our money in return for lacklustre performances.

It does not matter that if they were all still playing we wouldn't have been able to draft Bail, Jurrah, Fitzpatrick, Gawn, likely Bennell, Tapscott or Gysberts, et al.

It matters not that we'd be trying to begin our rebuild NOW or that the club would have been floundering at the bottom of the ladder with -6 wins.

The important thing is treating our older players with RESPECT, which evidently means continuing to pay them above their worth until they decide they are sick of the money.

Stupidity reigns supreme.

Not saying they should be still playing today, I was pointing out how it was done publicly was not how you should treat players who have given plenty to the Dee's.

Please tell me, how should they be treated..?

"with respect" is not an answer. Tell me what the club should have done differently.

I AGREE.

All of these players should have been given extended contracts until they were ready to retire.

The club winning a premiership is not important, the important thing is making sure players who are past it are still happy to take our money in return for lacklustre performances.

It does not matter that if they were all still playing we wouldn't have been able to draft Bail, Jurrah, Fitzpatrick, Gawn, likely Bennell, Tapscott or Gysberts, et al.

It matters not that we'd be trying to begin our rebuild NOW or that the club would have been floundering at the bottom of the ladder with -6 wins.

The important thing is treating our older players with RESPECT, which evidently means continuing to pay them above their worth until they decide they are sick of the money.

Stupidity reigns supreme.

The stupidity is on your part because you obviously cannot read.

I never said that they should have been offered another contract, I was pointing out the slash and burn and public manner inwhich some of our senior players have been pushed.

Perhaps a player such as Mcdonald should have been left to make his own analysis rather than made to front a media confrence and told he is retiring.

Think it through

I exaggerated the point. Sue me.

Think it through? That's the problem - you haven't.

"Slash and burn"??! How so?

What if Junior decided he wanted another year and the football dept obviously didn't think it was a good idea?

The FD should bend to the will of a player?

Is that due respect in your book?

I just don't understand what you think should have been done.

The stupidity is on your part because you obviously cannot read.

I never said that they should have been offered another contract, I was pointing out the slash and burn and public manner inwhich some of our senior players have been pushed.

Perhaps a player such as Mcdonald should have been left to make his own analysis rather than made to front a media confrence and told he is retiring.

Think it through

His own analysis?

So Schwab says to Tim Harrington - "Hold off on your planning, Tim. I know you want to win a flag and we are paying you build a list to do that but we are waiting for our veterans to decide what to do."

How could that possibly work?!

All those names listed that were "burnt" were shown the door to hasten the event that probably gives you wet dreams - a flag.

Forgive me for not caring about whether we pull the pin on 'heroes' a year earlier than they 'should' get.

They got to play for the Melbourne Football Club and got paid to do it.

A footy club is put on this earth to do one thing - win flags.

"So I hear a word out of any of you that ain't helping me out or taking your leave, I will shoot you down. Get to work!"

His own analysis?

So Schwab says to Tim Harrington - "Hold off on your planning, Tim. I know you want to win a flag and we are paying you build a list to do that but we are waiting for our veterans to decide what to do."

How could that possibly work?!

All those names listed that were "burnt" were shown the door to hasten the event that probably gives you wet dreams - a flag.

Forgive me for not caring about whether we pull the pin on 'heroes' a year earlier than they 'should' get.

They got to play for the Melbourne Football Club and got paid to do it.

"So I hear a word out of any of you that ain't helping me out or taking your leave, I will shoot you down. Get to work!"

Can't think of any other club that has gone about their business in this manner. Just makes the club look stupid - some clubs honour their champions, we just shoot ours like lame horses and do it through the media.

Bit one dimensional rpfc

And I thought they were put on earth as a good place to work off some testosterone, bond with males, be an excuse to get pizzed, stick it up your neighboring suburbs and if your lucky win a flag. But I guess the good ole times must have changed

Bit one dimensional rpfc

And I thought they were put on earth as a good place to work off some testosterone, bond with males, be an excuse to get pizzed, stick it up your neighboring suburbs and if your lucky win a flag. But I guess the good ole times must have changed

About a year back we had a massive thread that explored this.

I exaggerated the mission of a club.

But the statement rings true - a club exist to win flags. Good clubs win flags. Great clubs win flags, and provide a good club environment.

Everything other than success can be contained in 'good club environment.'