List Lodgement One

mordja

Newton! Aggggggggggh! Bloody amatures.

There must be 15 guys delisted that would be better pick ups than him. We could have de-listed him and if nothing better came up, picked him up as a rookie again. I'm sure no one else would pick him up. He could be a champion outside the AFL/VFL.

I wonder how Junior feels; "Newton stays and I go?".

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sensible decisions.

Pick 49 and pick 52 and still reasonable selections, and we should back our recruiters to pick up players who are senior to Tommy Mac and PJ.

I would not at all be surprised to see one or both of Tommy Mac and PJ picked up as rookie selections, similar to how Meesan and Newton were last year. While they were list cloggers on the senior list, both Tommy and PJ could prove useful depth in case of injury on a rookie list.

It's almost important to keep turning over the list and bring in fresh talent... 9 new players this year will make it very exciting

Wasn't sure which way the club would go with Newton, but the rest were no brainers for me.

Absolutely agree

Who do we have as a backup ruckman if Jamar goes down. Spencer? Really, at least PJ can ruck.

He has proven time and time again that he cant. He had to go.

I would have preffered Johnson to stick around at least one more year as insurance.

What good is insurance if the insurance company cannot pay up? You dont have insurance.

Newton! Aggggggggggh! Bloody amatures.

There must be 15 guys delisted that would be better pick ups than him. We could have de-listed him and if nothing better came up, picked him up as a rookie again. I'm sure no one else would pick him up. He could be a champion outside the AFL/VFL.

I wonder how Junior feels; "Newton stays and I go?".

We have delisted him 12 months ago and he is a rookie.

Do you think we should rookie our 34yo ex Captain?

Can't argue with any of that from MFC. Having Newton hold on as a rookie? Meh, far from guarantees him any football with MFC in any case. Depending on draft choices acquired, he is a rookie & nothing more and the FD would be thinking one of the options now afforded us in the draft will ideally play more football.

No surprises here. Delisting Johnson may leave us one short in the rucks, but we could pick up a back-up ruckman with one of our 5 rookie list selections. It's possible they may re-pick PJ, although there doesn't seem to be the same arrangement with PJ that was offered to Newton and Meeson last year.

Newton's re-selection on the rookie list defies gravity. "What goes down must stay up!"

We're gambling big time on Spencer/Gawn/Martin ... or to put it another way, we're gambling big time on Jamar's body. Hope it works out.

Spencer is already a better first ruck than PJ. To play in the ruck you have to relish physical contact, PJ never did. I'd have Big Jake in the ruck if Jamar goes down, we'll lose a bit but you have to blood young rucks sometime. Next year is not a flag year so it wouldn't hurt to see him get a little gametime.

I don't see Gawn as necessarily 2 or 3 years away as many suggest. If he get's his body right I don't see any reason he couldn't play next year if required and form permits. He could possibly fill the role we had earmarked for Hale. I don't like putting limits on kids and there's plenty of examples of young ruckman having an impact by their second year.

I like it. I wouldn't be horribly surprised if they offered McNamara a rookie spot (assuming nobody takes him), but then I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't either. He's shown himself to be a good VFL player, but hasn't given us anything to rave about at AFL level. Given that Newton is still a rookie, I think a case can be made for Tommy.

Knightmare over on BigFooty had an interesting notion for the ruck situation in Callum Sinclair. He could fit the bill very nicely if the club think he has the improvement in him. 201cm ruck/forward is never a bad thing to have on your list.

i agree that we do not need another project ruckman.

we need a big strong bodied full forward - currently we have no one

we need a decent established ruck that can play a role as relief ruckman that can kick a goal and hurt opposition when he is on. - currently we have no one

we need a running defender with good skills and decision making and can defend, to free up grimes - currently we have grimes but need to free him up, also have bail but need an elite player.

we need a good small forward to rome the feet of the packs - we have jetta and maric - wonna is good but needs help, davey can do it but needed elsewhere as well.

we need a good shut down player - currently we have jones who looks slow at times

we need a good small defender to take the opposition small forward. - currently we have bartram whose kicking and decision making badly lets him down.

that is where our list can improve still a fair bit.

it all just means that jetta, martin, bruce, strauss, maric and bartram to a degree are all in the gun for next year. they all need to have good years to keep their spots.

Edited by hillie

Bang on Friday and bang on target by the MFC - good decisions.

Hard to really argue against the delistings the MFC went for. Predictable.

The only surprise is M. Newton staying on (albeit as a Rookie). However, the end for Juice is fast approaching...

Bang on Friday and bang on target by the MFC - good decisions.

Hard to really argue against the delistings the MFC went for. Predictable.

The only surprise is M. Newton staying on (albeit as a Rookie). However, the end for Juice is fast approaching...

They were all no-brainers for me. I can see why they're persisting with Newton.

Edited by BattlerBailey

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

newton has had more come backs then Lazarus, maybe just maybe he does a Jamar and improves out of sight, weirder thing have happened before.

I wouldn't complain if it happened but I'm not holding my breath on it. If he was on the real list I'd care but the rookie thing is pretty meh. You can find diamond or two but you really need to wade through a hell of a lot of [censored] to find them.

The rest of us can't...

Speak for yourself. I think there's logic in this situation.

First rucks

The role of the first ruck is to be aggressive at contests and make sure our midfield have a very large body in the middle with them to help them win it out. Our first rucks are Jamar and Spencer. Bonus points if the first ruck can kick goals, but this is not his primary role. I believe if Jamar were to go down in 2011, Spencer's aggression and size will provide an adequate replacement (obviously he is no Jamar yet).

Second ruck

The role of the modern second ruck is to have short stints in the ruck while the first ruck rests, and provide a marking and goal kicking option in the forward line. This is the role we had earmarked for Hale, but given our failure to recruit him, we currently have nobody on the list who has taken this job by the throat. Potentials are Martin, Fitzpatrick and now Newton.

Newton might not make it, but he's got the attributes to - a high leap, capable of taking a mark, and can kick goals. He might not have done much of any of those at AFL level, but the physical attributes are there and he will be approaching mental maturity now. Retaining him allows us to hedge our bets on Martin (and Fitzpatrick to a degree), and we can do it for damn close to free - he was already delisted from the main list last year and he's already on the rookie list so we don't have to "find" him, or hope he'll still be there when our 7th or 8th draft pick comes around.

The other thing to consider is that this is a brand new role for Newton. He's currently in a reprogramming phase and given the hole in our list that he is being groomed to fill, I'm happy for the club to allow him some time to adjust. There's nobody else ready, so the risk is very low - rock bottom in fact - but the potential payoff is high.

So many people wanted to keep PJ as "insurance" - but we've got insurance for both rucks already.

First ruck: Jamar, insurance: Spencer

Second ruck: Martin, insurance: Newton

I think Juice Newton should be renamed Phoenix Newton

7 years! This guy has got to be the luckiest footballer going around

As for insurance, once you deduct the excess you'll wonder why you bothered

My big hope is we pick up better insurance via the ND/RD/PSD, please at least some alternatives, I don't think I can go another Newton year

P.S. nothing personal against Newton, he just aint got it and I'd rather risk a long shot